Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

44 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Great picture, was that in Leytonstone 

The voice of experience speaks? Yes, it is indeed. @Paul S, just a very cool night called What's Cookin'. I have played it a few times over the years and it is always great fun. @KK Jale, I saw a Laney combo on the side but I'd brought my smaller Orange rig. If whoever speaks with Steve queries it, I am sure if it works he'd be cool for you to use it. Everyone else will need their own backline. The band can move the cones and park right outside for free. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Played at our regular place in Manchester town centre Friday, the Oirish bar; given the weather hoohah I'd imagined a quiet night, but there was a queue outside all night of never less than a dozen people, it was one out, one in all night...

And they were all up for it, too...a cracking night...during one of the set breaks (we do 3x45) I was chatting outside to a bloke from Guatemala who'd come over for 5 days; his first day in Manchester and he couldn't believe how lively it was...'Eeees crayzee, crayzee...' 🙂

On inspiration from the gig I went to during the week (Elbow at the Night&Day Cafe*), we didn't turn it up too loud, and the sound was soooo much better for it...

*Incidentally, there's an online petition to try and defend against them losing their license after a Noise Abatement complaint (yet another ar*ehole who buys a flat next to a music venue that's been central to Manchester's music scene for 30 years and then suddenly decides to get it shut down because they play live music till half ten), if you can find it, please sign it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

*Incidentally, there's an online petition to try and defend against them losing their license after a Noise Abatement complaint (yet another ar*ehole who buys a flat next to a music venue that's been central to Manchester's music scene for 30 years and then suddenly decides to get it shut down because they play live music till half ten), if you can find it, please sign it...

This is the one.

Utter tools!

https://www.change.org/p/manchester-city-council-remove-our-noise-abatement-notice

• Like 3

My 80s alternative / Goth duo played the local open mic. Set 1 is us doing Cure / Sisters of Mercy etc on folk instruments (mandolin, bouzouki, mandocello) and then onto the electric set with our drum machine / keyboard programming. We wound up doing a third set completely acoustically in the bar afterwards. Busy day at work and when the night ends with the landlord wavering drink charges, I am reminded that I am not 22 these days! 

1225295689_DDShali.thumb.jpg.b8a64a42212da728eaf1d543959c55a0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

First gig since February 2020 for the jazz standards quartet! Things are slowly opening up here but numbers are still limited at venues so very few club gigs.

Yesterday we played some "wallpaper music" at a Christmas lunch for about 200 military personnel at the base in North Bay. We have been together for 8 or 9 years now and have been rehearsing for a couple of months and this was an easy no pressure way to get out playing again. We played one long set and did some of our usual stuff and also some seasonal songs and it went over well and we got some nice compliments at the end of the gig. Due to the military "hurry up and wait" system we were there and set up over two hours before we actually played the gig so we had a nice rehearsal and were well warmed up and ready to go when the room opened up for the actual lunch. It also gave us a good chance to do a decent sound check and tweak our Bose PA.

This was the first time I have gigged the "70's Czech bass that I got a few months ago and it was a joy to play, I liked my Engelhardt but this bass is much more comfortable and easier to play and the Obligatos sounded great on it.

All in all a good gig and we also had a lovely Christmas dinner after we played. We will be doing another one of these affairs in a week or so but doing it as a trio with vibes, bass and sax/clarinet and we haven't played any gigs with this combination before so it should be an interesting day.

Great to finally be back out and playing in public, we are hoping that things will get busier in 2022 but the live music scene is still pretty dead over here.

It wasn't a very fancy set up, we were in the corner of a very large dining room but the sound was good and we could be heard by everyone.😊

P1040426.jpg

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 6

Second gig with our new band on Friday night! The sorry tale of how we were reduced from a 5-piece to a renamed trio is recounted in another thread but the new band is shaping up very nicely indeed now.

The gig was a free-in in the bar at a small local theatre. We all know virtually everyone involved in some way so the preparations were very relaxed and informal. The guitarist had been in touch with the venue engineer a few days before to sort out the set up and had explained we were 2 x vox and wanted at least some of the kit in the mix so we could use some effects on it. All was ok'd and it was arranged to meet him on the afternoon of the gig - no show... As we loaded in we were greeted by what I can only assume was a volunteer/work experience bod and the "desk" photographed below. (In case the photo doesn't attach properly, imagine something you might give to child who wanted to pretend they were doing a podcast.)

We resigned ourselves to just putting the vocals through the PA but soon realized that there wasn't even a basic built in reverb so rushed back to the rehearsal room to grab the XR18, modem, tablet etc. Amazingly, it all went well from there on: really decent crowd by the end, many of whom seemed to be happily bopping along. All our giveaway cds were nabbed and we even had a girl come up at the end to ask for a setlist - although I wonder if she had anticipated something like the very pretty one that our guitarist had shared on Facebook rather than the crumpled, beerstained plain A4 printout I was standing on.

Oh, how I have missed playing live.

(a free live EP from our first gig is available here: https://deadtenantmusic.bandcamp.com/releases )

IMG-20211203-WA0002.jpg

setlist.jpg

• Like 4

Nice wee punk gig in Riverside Bar in Dumfries. The band have played there quite a few times but a first for me.

First live band since covid so not as busy as it usually is but a decent sized crowd with several people of varying ages up dancing. Blondie being a floor filler to the point our stage area was being pushed back 😂

Good feedback from the audience afterwards and some good phone vids posted on FB. 

Using the new Sandberg MarloweDK last night and it sounded amazing and so easy to play. Also got my Mesa Mpulse back from repair altho only fault found was dirty master volume pot. Fully serviced and it was great to have "that tone" back again after using my Markbass Nano for past 2 gigs.

All in all a pretty good night, few minor mistakes made one where i had a complete loss of memory during a short guitar solo and had to just ad-lib on the root notes for 2 bars and then my memory came back. I'm still learning the songs to a point where i dont need to think about them.

Had put new strings on the bass that day and it left me with some prettty painful blisters on my plucking hand. I usually put new strings on a week before the gig so the edge is taken off them but i only got the bass on Thu afternoon.

Dave

1690472394_CaptureEEatDumfries4_12_21.thumb.PNG.42b109b1f571255973ba89791c7b5267.PNG

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice wee punk gig in Riverside Bar in Dumfries. The band have played there quite a few times but a first for me.

First live band since covid so not as busy as it usually is but a decent sized crowd with several people of varying ages up dancing. Blondie being a floor filler to the point our stage area was being pushed back 😂

Good feedback from the audience afterwards and some good phone vids posted on FB. 

Using the new Sandberg MarloweDK last night and it sounded amazing and so easy to play. Also got my Mesa Mpulse back from repair altho only fault found was dirty master volume pot. Fully serviced and it was great to have "that tone" back again after using my Markbass Nano for past 2 gigs.

All in all a pretty good night, few minor mistakes made one where i had a complete loss of memory during a short guitar solo and had to just ad-lib on the root notes for 2 bars and then my memory came back. I'm still learning the songs to a point where i dont need to think about them.

Had put new strings on the bass that day and it left me with some prettty painful blisters on my plucking hand. I usually put new strings on a week before the gig so the edge is taken off them but i only got the bass on Thu afternoon.

Dave

1690472394_CaptureEEatDumfries4_12_21.thumb.PNG.42b109b1f571255973ba89791c7b5267.PNG

Good man - my family comes from Dumfries and Galloway, and I love Dumfries - nice work

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Good man - my family comes from Dumfries and Galloway, and I love Dumfries - nice work

The gig was a freebie as a thanks to the owner who has been really good to the band pre-covid. They agreed to do the first gig there after covid for free but it was a great wee night. Oddly enough the young bar manager said he'd seen me before in another band and for the life of him he couldn't think who it was. Fame !!! :laugh1:

Some of the band stay overnight in Dumfries but i'm an hour home so it was a nice wee drive to Biggar on roads that were virtually empty, even the motorway was quiet. My kind of roads.

Dave

• Like 2