Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Now there's a bass sound... 😃

Cheers Muzz! 😃

Spector Euro 'Ian Hill' sig model, dimed, into Gallien Krueger Legacy 800 Head and Genz Benz Neox 2x12 cab with chorus effect from the Zoom B3....... 😎

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 16:25, spike said:

We played a very short notice wedding gig on Saturday as a last minute replacement for another band who had to cancel due to covid. The landlady of the pub we'd played the previous Saturday recommended us and we got the call on Thursday evening. We had to get a dep drummer we'd never used before who turned out to be excellent. In the end we had a really good gig, plenty of guests up and dancing, free drink and buffet and the venue was amazing.

The Old Palace at Hatfield House, Herts, built in 1485, this must be the oldest venue I've ever played at.

Hatfield2.thumb.jpg.9c9c10885f69c555f7a25defce33e1fd.jpgHatfield1.thumb.jpg.b40363105ed69b375f9295c77478a0d0.jpg

I've played a wedding there, a very special venue (not so much on the sound front, but hey, I doubt the Tudors were thinking about amplified bands when they built it 🙂 ), IIRC, the power situatation was...interesting, too...

I posted a picture of my basses, right where yours is, on a FB thing I had going a while back entitled 'I've Played Some Sh*tholes In My Time, But...'  😁

Oh, and on the return journey to Manchester, the van broke down about 600 yards into the trip, at about 1:30am...we got home about lunchtime on the Sunday... 😕

On 23/11/2021 at 10:47, cetera said:

Had a fab sell-out show on Saturday night at Teignmouth Pavilion Theatre with Leather & Lace. Here's a little clip of our lovely female singer Tanyth nailing 'Black Velvet'... https://fb.watch/9swAV05Tkf/

Nice clip.

Is your waistcoat a hand me down, your vocalist was wearing it five years ago 😊

Edited by steantval
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I played a 3 hour bar gig. The tiny bar was packed ( private birthday party but still a bar gig ) I guess I'm spoiled. All summer we played outside showcase gigs and festivals. Most gigs were an hour and a half.

I think my bar gig days are limited.

Blue

FB_IMG_1637508552924.jpg

A gigs a gig. Doing a 45 minute support slot tomorrow night but all the backline supplied. Have bass will travel kinda gig. I like that.

Dave

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I played a 3 hour bar gig. The tiny bar was packed ( private birthday party but still a bar gig ) I guess I'm spoiled. All summer we played outside showcase gigs and festivals. Most gigs were an hour and a half.

I think my bar gig days are limited.

Blue

FB_IMG_1637508552924.jpg

We all keep going back to bar gigs. I've been playing bigger venues recently with the Led Zep tribute, but tonight was much smaller - a bar with a postage stamp stage. Only 18 tickets sold before the gig, but a respectable turnout in the end considering the weather. 

A good night in the end, but a nightmare drive home at one o'clock in the morning, over the Pennines in a blizzard! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not my gig but was out seeing The Illegal Eagles tonight. They are one very professional outfit. Very impressive musicianship.

Dave

I was 500 yards away watching The Mighty Jerusalem Harpoons. Fantastic band and all brilliant musicians too ( one of the guitarist vocalists is Big Vern from Big Vern and the Shootas ). 

Edited by Angelus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

I was 500 yards away watching The Mighty Jerusalem Harpoons. Fantastic band and all brilliant musicians too ( one of the guitarist vocalists is Big Vern from Big Vern and the Shootas ). 

Horse & Jockey ?

After the gig i stopped outside the Indian takeaway across the road and a shop sign blew off and hit roof of my car then blew across the road. While i was in the shop it blew back again and hit the side of the rear wheel arch. Sods bloomin law..............twice.

Had a better look this morning but it will polish out relatively easy. No dents either as it was a metal sign so that was lucky.

Stupid shop owners left it out knowing there were gale force winds expected that night..........idiots. 

Dave

Last nights gig was at a bar in the Essex Riviera's equivalent of St Tropez (or Sarfend as it is known locally). Freezing cold, wet and windy outside and the place had been really quiet all week - the landlord admitted he was a bit glum about the prospects of making any money on the night. 

We had a few gremlins during set up - singist getting a zap through the mic so we had to switch a load of mains cables around and then the geetard forgot to switch the sub back on. Consequently it all sounded weird and gutless when we soundchecked. I always stand out front whilst the geetard does the desk and it just sounded odd to me whatever we did but i was assuming it was an unfamiliar room. It was a big raised stage and you frequently find all the bass going into the floor into those sort of rooms. Eventually I figured out that he hadn't switched the sub back on!!!

Fortunately we got about 60 people in so the evening ended up being a good one. Great lively crowd and we played pretty well and enjoyed ourselves playing some stuff that we can't normally do in a non rocky pub (Bark at the Moon and Get the Funk Out are always fun to play). Lots of nice comments at half time and afterwards and we came away with a glow on. 

Here's a pic from the crowd....

Yellowhouse Papillon.jpg

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 7

Wee support gig tonight for The Gimmie Gimmies. 45 min set that seemed to go in very fast.

Great feedback from audience and praise from the headliners on a fantastic set.

After spending a wad of dosh on Mesa gear i played thru the venues Behringer head and old battered Ashdown 15" cab and it sounded fantastic. Plenty of depth and clarity and a nice slightly overdriven tone too.

Only got one pic so far 

261044342_4747255192001042_6190263571376797402_n.thumb.jpg.efce4a125be68dcb561e21ac09a0c8d2.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 6

Rolled the clock back last night. Depped for the Madness tribute I used to play with. First time the original line up has been together for nearly ten years.

I love playing with the drummer, we used to be in a Specials trib together many moons ago, and that bassist/drummer chemistry is still there between us.

Used my Bruce Thomas Profile, Trace head into Barefaced cabs and for the first time in my life sight read an entire gig, from my own scores.

Really chuffed.

• Like 10

I did a gig at The Crown in Southwell for a 'Rock Night' with a mixture scratch bands like us and established ones. Great night and a good crowd in, with the bonus of an excellent soundie who brought his 7k pa rig (slight overkill for a pub gig perhaps). Last band on was a scratch band made up of peeps there on the night. The singer for this band was well trolleyed and continued topping up his intake during the set. He's the singist for a very popular local rock covers band and had dragged in a few friends so the atmosphere was bouyant. He'd blotted his copybook earlier while sitting near the front while the previous band were playing and yawning dramatically for everyone to see, apparently commenting on the song choices and had to apologize to them before being allowed to do his set. 

His antics were capped off spectacularly at the end of his set when his alcohol intake got the better of him and at the end of the last song he fell backwards into the drum kit, spraying toms and cymbals all around!

Rock n roll eh!

Cheesy pick of our little band with Brian the drummer at the back - easily the best drummer I've ever played with. (that's me in the cap.....but not the corner)

IMG-20211127-WA0007.jpg

FB_IMG_1638094282863.jpg

Edited by ricksterphil
Duh
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Wee support gig tonight for The Gimmie Gimmies. 45 min set that seemed to go in very fast.

Great feedback from audience and praise from the headliners on a fantastic set.

After spending a wad of dosh on Mesa gear i played thru the venues Behringer head and old battered Ashdown 15" cab and it sounded fantastic. Plenty of depth and clarity and a nice slightly overdriven tone too.

Only got one pic so far 

261044342_4747255192001042_6190263571376797402_n.thumb.jpg.efce4a125be68dcb561e21ac09a0c8d2.jpg

Is that the Dregnought Dave?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Is that the Dregnought Dave?

The Draednought in Bathgate. 3 bands on.

Muddy Scoundrels who were excellent and great harmonies.

Emergency Exit who were brilliant but i know the bass player :laugh1:

The Gimmie Gimmie Gimmies who were headlining and are a fantastic band to watch. So energetic.

Dave

12 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Last nights gig was at a bar in the Essex Riviera's equivalent of St Tropez (or Sarfend as it is known locally). Freezing cold, wet and windy outside and the place had been really quiet all week - the landlord admitted he was a bit glum about the prospects of making any money on the night. 

We had a few gremlins during set up - singist getting a zap through the mic so we had to switch a load of mains cables around and then the geetard forgot to switch the sub back on. Consequently it all sounded weird and gutless when we soundchecked. I always stand out front whilst the geetard does the desk and it just sounded odd to me whatever we did but i was assuming it was an unfamiliar room. It was a big raised stage and you frequently find all the bass going into the floor into those sort of rooms. Eventually I figured out that he hadn't switched the sub back on!!!

Fortunately we got about 60 people in so the evening ended up being a good one. Great lively crowd and we played pretty well and enjoyed ourselves playing some stuff that we can't normally do in a non rocky pub (Bark at the Moon and Get the Funk Out are always fun to play). Lots of nice comments at half time and afterwards and we came away with a glow on. 

Here's a pic from the crowd....

Where was this, please? :) 

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The Draednought in Bathgate. 3 bands on.

Muddy Scoundrels who were excellent and great harmonies.

Emergency Exit who were brilliant but i know the bass player :laugh1:

The Gimmie Gimmie Gimmies who were headlining and are a fantastic band to watch. So energetic.

Dave

An excellent venue. And I have played through the Behringer / Ashdown set up there and it`s sounds decent. You might be able to get a copy of your gig on a flash drive as Alan? usually records the feed to the screens. We got one, I think it cost about a fiver and it`s good to look back on now that version of the band has gone t*ts up.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

An excellent venue. And I have played through the Behringer / Ashdown set up there and it`s sounds decent. You might be able to get a copy of your gig on a flash drive as Alan? usually records the feed to the screens. We got one, I think it cost about a fiver and it`s good to look back on now that version of the band has gone t*ts up.

I'll see if the band know him personally. 2 of the band are from Bathgate.

Dave

• Like 1