Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 hours ago, casapete said:

Played a small acoustic gig at one of my favourite venues last night - The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough. The bistro venue was fully booked, and it's one of those gigs where everything is great - audience, staff, small house PA etc etc. Looks like we have a monthly residency there in 2022 so happy days. 

(The second picture below is what I can see behind me when playing!)

255377085_1331648720588610_6099633175693928183_n.jpg

251385571_1322810814805734_4000464243606908463_n.jpg

How lovely. I used to be frequent visitor to  Scarborough, but have never been to this venue. Alas, my friends who lived there are moving away soon, so I doubt I'll be back:-(

• Like 1

Popped into this thread to see Kev B's picture feat. my old TC Electronics combo what he bought off of me.

Which reminds me, perhaps I should  write up my own gig which occurred at Jo Jo Jim's in Cotton Hacket on 7 Nov.

I am now playing with a quirky blues/jazz/soul covers and originals band called SAM. We were invited to do a half hour 'showcase' spot at an Open Mic night. The object of the exercise being that if Joe liked us he may book as for an actual  paid gig in future 

We seem to have succeeded, in that he did come up afterwards and say he'd be interested, so that's promising.  I played competently, but didn't really get in the zone and rock out. Some of the bass lines are quite tricky and I was just trying not to make any mistakes. 

Lead guitarist decided his guitar was out of tune right at the beginning of a guitar solo and just nodded to me to keep playing while he changed instruments! So suddenly I had a bass solo. Didn't try to do anything  fancy...just kept the groove going for an eternity until he came back in!!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Compass Cafe in Blackpool on Saturday. It's a nice size for a cafe, but a very small venue for a full band. I was told I'd need to strip down the drum kit due to lack of space. I took my tiny bass drum and no toms. As it turned out, a floor tom would have fit, so that was frustrating but never mind. We did an all acoustic set which is unusual for us as the guitarist usually switches between electric and acoustic. Our bassist brought his very fancy 5 string acoustic bass. I can't remember the name of the maker but I think it's a small custom builder... should have taken a closer photo for Basschat, sorry. You can just about see it here

20211113_193950.thumb.jpg.eccedd33ba8b9e54d85ec2017b422eb3.jpg

Ace night anyway

Like the bass drum !

What does it sound like and do you use it when there is no space constraint?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seashell2 said:

How lovely. I used to be frequent visitor to  Scarborough, but have never been to this venue. Alas, my friends who lived there are moving away soon, so I doubt I'll be back:-(

It’s only been open around 18 months, and situated on the first floor of the buildings on the West Pier in the harbour. I’ve played in Scarborough a lot over the years - before playing at The Lookout we played at The Tidesreach cafe on North Bay which was run by the same chap. Then used to do Thursdays at The Indigo Alley in town, with some fantastic players. The pub stated outside ‘ Real music and live ale’ , a great gig! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Like the bass drum !

What does it sound like and do you use it when there is no space constraint?

Thanks! Like any bass drum you can tune it and dampen it, so there's not one sound. It's difficult to get any real subs out of it without a PA, but that's not really necessary on this sort of gig. I had it tuned fairly high with some foam inside touching both heads and I get a nice punch. It sounds very "slappy" if I'm on my own, but in the context of a band mix it cuts through just right. This is the first time I've actually gigged it but I'd use it for a funk jam or something like that. I bought the shell for £35 on Ebay and nicked the hardware off another bass drum I never use.

I'll definitely be using if for our acoustic set at Rebellion festival. I think if we were to start doing acoustic sets at bigger venues with proper PAs I'd just take my full kit

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I know there's another larger venue in Inverness called The Ironworks but have never been.

Hate seeing good venues disappear.

Dave

15 hours ago, thodrik said:

That was where I was playing. It is a really nice venue.

Were 4-and-20 virgins there?

Played a final gig with the old band last, a fundraiser for local hospital radio at the hospital social club. A real blast. There was another band on before us playing 80’s/90’s stuff which they pulled off really well. They then stayed to watch us - really supportive, nice people, lots of musicians chat and beers shared before we all packed up. It’s good when that happens.

• Like 6

We played a very short notice wedding gig on Saturday as a last minute replacement for another band who had to cancel due to covid. The landlady of the pub we'd played the previous Saturday recommended us and we got the call on Thursday evening. We had to get a dep drummer we'd never used before who turned out to be excellent. In the end we had a really good gig, plenty of guests up and dancing, free drink and buffet and the venue was amazing.

The Old Palace at Hatfield House, Herts, built in 1485, this must be the oldest venue I've ever played at.

Hatfield2.thumb.jpg.9c9c10885f69c555f7a25defce33e1fd.jpgHatfield1.thumb.jpg.b40363105ed69b375f9295c77478a0d0.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, spike said:

We played a very short notice wedding gig on Saturday as a last minute replacement for another band who had to cancel due to covid. The landlady of the pub we'd played the previous Saturday recommended us and we got the call on Thursday evening. We had to get a dep drummer we'd never used before who turned out to be excellent. In the end we had a really good gig, plenty of guests up and dancing, free drink and buffet and the venue was amazing.

The Old Palace at Hatfield House, Herts, built in 1485, this must be the oldest venue I've ever played at.

Hatfield1.thumb.jpg.b40363105ed69b375f9295c77478a0d0.jpg

I like the way the bloke in the painting is copying your drummer's stance. First class trolling.

Lovely venue, btw.

• Haha 2

The Old Cold Store in Nottingham on Thursday night supporting UK Subs. Great gig despite terrible on stage sound, just a positive attitude from everyone and super tight

1866829401_smileytom.jpg.65a97c43e7e41fd672164e450d609548.jpg

Our bassist and front man both tested positive for Covid the next morning so our final gig of the year on Saturday was cancelled. The guitarist and I are both fine (negative PCR tests), it's just such a shame to miss the big tour finale

I do have one more gig this year, this time on guitar for Julia Mosely, hopefully that'll be good

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gorgeous looking bass. Love the colouring on it. Alan does make some incredible basses.

Thanks for sharing.

Does he still run the Bass Bash at Moffat. Not heard of it in quite a few years.

Dave

I didn't know he ran that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCH said:

I didn't know he ran that!

Think Alan and Chris from Overwater (not too far away from Moffat) were the 2 main luthiers there but it was Alan that organised it and such a nice guy to talk to. Wasn't a huge event but always an interesting and varied display of basses with a celeb bassist to chat and give a show. Saw Steve Williams and Steve Lawson there. Seems to be a Steve thing going on there.

If you are close enough to visit you wouldn't be disappointed. 

Dave

First gig since pre-covid on Saturday, at a local social club. Band a bit rusty after only three rehearsals spaced out over about 6 weeks, but nothing any non-musicians would notice. And we have revamped the set a bit during the downtime so some stuff was first performance. Went down well, in the way that always seems to be the routine for cover bands at these social club gigs - audience sitting at tables drinking, with polite applause after each number for the first set and half the second, and then up dancing and cheering for the last 5 or 6 songs. Then wanting more!  Punters, staff and band all ended the evening happy though, so successful comeback gig. No pictures of band surfaced yet, but this was the gear after setup.

20211120_204024.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Royal Dave said:

First gig since pre-covid on Saturday, at a local social club. Band a bit rusty after only three rehearsals spaced out over about 6 weeks, but nothing any non-musicians would notice. And we have revamped the set a bit during the downtime so some stuff was first performance. Went down well, in the way that always seems to be the routine for cover bands at these social club gigs - audience sitting at tables drinking, with polite applause after each number for the first set and half the second, and then up dancing and cheering for the last 5 or 6 songs. Then wanting more!  Punters, staff and band all ended the evening happy though, so successful comeback gig. No pictures of band surfaced yet, but this was the gear after setup.

20211120_204024.jpg

Looks very much like a Geddy Jazz there and a full electronic drum kit.

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks very much like a Geddy Jazz there and a full electronic drum kit.

Dave

Correct, Geddy Jazz it is. Fender Deluxe Precision Special is just behind it and is sometimes used for some of the evening (from what I can remember of pre-covid gigs), but the Geddy was just sounding so good I used it all night.

And yes, a drummer I can turn down!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Royal Dave said:

Correct, Geddy Jazz it is. Fender Deluxe Precision Special is just behind it and is sometimes used for some of the evening (from what I can remember of pre-covid gigs), but the Geddy was just sounding so good I used it all night.

And yes, a drummer I can turn down!

Love my Geddy too. It just works so well and the neck is a dream on it. By far one of the best necks i've ever played.

Dave

• Like 1

On 04/11/2007 at 21:07, stingrayfan said:

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='83671' date='Nov 4 2007, 08:03 PM']We played a 50th Birthday party Friday night on the first floor of a Conservative Club in Newhaven with no lift - so that wasn't fun!![/quote]
We did one without a lift too yesterday in a room above a pub. Like Mariah Carey, we generally don't do stairs. But it was a birthday party for a friend of the band so lots of people helped with the load in and out. Good gig, the birthday boy played guitar with us on one song, so he was made up.

I'm going to out myself as a newbie and ask what the mariah carey reference means? 🙂

10 minutes ago, mlauritsen said:

I'm going to out myself as a newbie and ask what the mariah carey reference means? 🙂

It might be this

Mariah ‘doesn’t do stairs’

This rumour was kicked off by Alan Carr who, following Carey’s appearance on Channel 4’s The Friday Night Project in 2008, claimed that she demanded a “staircase assistant”, explaining, helpfully, that their one job was “to check the stairs for her to see whether she could walk down them”. Further fuel for the fire came in the form of a famous paparazzi photo of Mariah stacking it down the steps of her former fiance James Packer’s yacht in six-inch heels. Perhaps then, her caution is understandable: less a diva move, more a health and safety precaution.
Verdict: TRUE