Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Good gig last night at a well known biker clubhouse with the 70's punk band. No pics allowed. Was weird playing for an almost totally male audience. Great feedback at the end of the night and some guys had travelled up from Leeds to see the band. They came over after the first set and congratulated us on a well played set. They were heading back home at that point.

All good and several rather large bikers even offered to help load the gear at end of the night.

Have to say it was a good night and not as much of a worry as i thought it might be.

The guy that booked us said we played a 1st class gig. That was good as it was my 1st full gig with the band.

Few mistakes but nothing i couldn't cover. 

Other comments at end "bass player is the best in the band" put a smile on my face along with a very loud cheer and applause when singer announced i was the new guy in the band. Also put a smile on my face.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 10

The Salty Dog in Northwich on Friday. I always look forward to playing here. A very cool bar with brilliant beers, I made sure I didn't have to drive home. It was a good night, and we played well, but the sound was terrible. Loads of feedback, and the soundguy kept disappearing.

The first time our guitarist switched from electric to acoustic, we found he'd muted the acoustic channel on the desk. There's no need for this because it's muted on stage, which we explained, but he'd done it anyway and buggered off somewhere. The crowd all start shouting his name to get him back to the desk to un-mute it. When he did there was instant feedback, growling acoustic guitar strings, groans from the crowd. Finally under control, you'd expect him to stay behind the desk now right? Especially as we'd told him we were having a guest singer up for one song, for which he'd actually prepared!

Carole Hodge (excellent singer songwriter and pianist) got up to sing vocals for one song as she did on the recording, however, when she plugged her mic in, the soundguy was nowhere to be seen. Once again the crowd shout his name for a solid minute until he appears. This time he shouts "what've you broken now?", clearly exasperated at having to do his job. We explain that the guest vocalist is up, he turns up her channel to the point of feedback, then turns it down to a reasonable level, we kick in the song and he disappears again!!

I should have got the message at the soundcheck. We were stood around ready to check for 40 minutes while the soundguy played with his lighting rig that didn't work. When he finally checked us it was terrible and rushed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I wasn't going to bother relating the tale but here goes. Drummer got us a gig for bonfire party last Sat. He told us th eset up a couple of months back and have to say i was sceptical about pretty much every detail he related in terms of time we would be expected to play and the type of audience I would personally expect at such an event (ie lots of screaming kids and pretty unsuitable for a 'dad rock' band). Told we would be on at 6pm, turned up to set gear up at 4pm only to be told we wouldn't be on until at least 7:30pm so wasted time rushing over, totally screwed up my Saturday. Sure enough, still full of screaming kids by time we eventually went on and then told we'd be playing until 10pm. On that money? no way. We ended up doing 45min, having 45 min off then doing another 45 up to the agreed 10pm finish. Couldnt get packed up and off quick enough. Drummers. Thick as mince. Hopefully this coming Saturday will be a different matter as it's a proper pub with adults and stuff. And not 'organised' by our drummer.

• Like 1

well that was a first, playing a local pub, the place rammed, the band were rocking, everybody singing along, just before the  break a fight broke out, nothing really nasty, just half a dozen drunks, PC Plod were called, 4 cars turned up with 8 police, arrested 2 of them and said we couldn't carry n with the gig!

• Sad 4

50 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

well that was a first, playing a local pub, the place rammed, the band were rocking, everybody singing along, just before the  break a fight broke out, nothing really nasty, just half a dozen drunks, PC Plod were called, 4 cars turned up with 8 police, arrested 2 of them and said we couldn't carry n with the gig!

That's pretty poor they stopped the gig.

Dave

Last night was a private party freebie for friends that own a very large country house. Punk band and was a pretty good night. I was driving but rest of the band were staying over so you can guess how that went :drinks:

I live 25mins from it so decided to just drive home.

2 shorter 45min sets but punk music is fast when playing it live. Playing fingerstyle i was getting sore fingers by the end of it.

Used my recently acquired Precision bass for the full night. Strangely enough i had no left hand aches at all just my plucking hand getting a bit tired.

Just wondering if the wider P neck helped the left hand positioning.

Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I hope you still got paid?

Compass Cafe in Blackpool on Saturday. It's a nice size for a cafe, but a very small venue for a full band. I was told I'd need to strip down the drum kit due to lack of space. I took my tiny bass drum and no toms. As it turned out, a floor tom would have fit, so that was frustrating but never mind. We did an all acoustic set which is unusual for us as the guitarist usually switches between electric and acoustic. Our bassist brought his very fancy 5 string acoustic bass. I can't remember the name of the maker but I think it's a small custom builder... should have taken a closer photo for Basschat, sorry. You can just about see it here

20211113_193950.thumb.jpg.eccedd33ba8b9e54d85ec2017b422eb3.jpg

Ace night anyway

• Like 5

On 14/11/2021 at 09:43, PaulWarning said:

Anywhere I'd know Paul ?

Relatively straightforward pub gig, it was one of those that an agent who we are using for some gig had sorted out but it wasn't his area so we guess it was a fill in for another agent, they do this sort of stuff quite often. Looked at tripadvisor in advance as none of us had played there and it looked clear the playing area wouldnt be that big so I just took my TC electronics 1x12 250 watt combo and it did enough to get through. We couldnt use monitors (front row got to see my tap dancing skills on the 12 step) and had to put the main PA directly behind us so FOH tops were right behind the mic's. Had to be very careful not to get feedback but we are all fairly experienced and just didn't push the volumes too much and tried to keep our bodies between the mic and speaker at all times. Not a huge turnout (Local autumn fair in the village on same night) but had some nice comments and  a few handshakes after the gig. Most importantly the LL was happy and would have passed that back to the agent.

IMG_20211113_201307.jpg

Edited by KevB
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I would think so, the Chequers, opposite the Hop Pole

That was going to be my first guess, never played there but seen folks going in and out when I've played the hop pole and thought it looks the sort of place that might kick off from time to time. I was in the depths of Leicestershire on Sat night little village pub gig.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Compass Cafe in Blackpool on Saturday. It's a nice size for a cafe, but a very small venue for a full band. I was told I'd need to strip down the drum kit due to lack of space. I took my tiny bass drum and no toms. As it turned out, a floor tom would have fit, so that was frustrating but never mind. We did an all acoustic set which is unusual for us as the guitarist usually switches between electric and acoustic. Our bassist brought his very fancy 5 string acoustic bass. I can't remember the name of the maker but I think it's a small custom builder... should have taken a closer photo for Basschat, sorry. You can just about see it here

20211113_193950.thumb.jpg.eccedd33ba8b9e54d85ec2017b422eb3.jpg

Ace night anyway

That's a well stripped back set up! 

I've just started looking at 5 string acoustic basses - I have a gear for music 5er at the moment that I have lying around the house and bought for an impromptu acoustic gig. I'd be interested if you could get the brand as they seem a difficult thing to come by.  

Played a small acoustic gig at one of my favourite venues last night - The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough. The bistro venue was fully booked, and it's one of those gigs where everything is great - audience, staff, small house PA etc etc. Looks like we have a monthly residency there in 2022 so happy days. 

(The second picture below is what I can see behind me when playing!)

255377085_1331648720588610_6099633175693928183_n.jpg

251385571_1322810814805734_4000464243606908463_n.jpg

Edited by casapete
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

That's a well stripped back set up! 

I've just started looking at 5 string acoustic basses - I have a gear for music 5er at the moment that I have lying around the house and bought for an impromptu acoustic gig. I'd be interested if you could get the brand as they seem a difficult thing to come by.  

I just asked him. It's a Michael Kelly Dragonfly

like this but with a different finish: https://www.musicroom.com/michael-kelly-michael-kelly-dragonfly-5-electro-acoustic-bass-mkd5ssbsfr?glid=gb&CAWELAID=120075890000619509&CATARGETID=120075890000864999&CADevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAp8iMBhAqEiwAJb94zxubZ9u5wRxigEhvJa_9G6j2FXHqLc8XD3OgzfeOcb1KSSUQd3Dz_xoC4dMQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

On Friday I did my first gig since the week before lockdown. Opening for the Wildhearts in Inverness as part of Monsterfest. Lovely venue and really enjoyable experience despite us having to do the gig as a four piece on two days notuice on account that our guitarist tested positive for the 'you know what' two days before. 

The band had a grand conversation with Danny from the Wildhearts as well who was a proper gentleman and it was good to see him in good health given his difficulties over the years. 

Here's a picture of us on stage. Myself and the guitarist look like small children on account that our singer is 6ft 4 and is training to be a strongman. 

Hopefully doing a small tour next year, work and everything else dependent. 

image.thumb.png.087a5c407e4934bcc3e4d62b674f1a37.pngimage.thumb.png.d849186b6b35ad76867df7904dce452f.png

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, thodrik said:

On Friday I did my first gig since the week before lockdown. Opening for the Wildhearts in Inverness as part of Monsterfest. Lovely venue and really enjoyable experience despite us having to do the gig as a four piece on two days notuice on account that our guitarist tested positive for the 'you know what' two days before. 

The band had a grand conversation with Danny from the Wildhearts as well who was a proper gentleman and it was good to see him in good health given his difficulties over the years. 

Here's a picture of us on stage. Myself and the guitarist look like small children on account that our singer is 6ft 4 and is training to be a strongman. 

Hopefully doing a small tour next year, work and everything else dependent. 

image.thumb.png.087a5c407e4934bcc3e4d62b674f1a37.pngimage.thumb.png.d849186b6b35ad76867df7904dce452f.png

He's a giant. 😂

Looks like a crackig set up there.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

He's a giant. 😂

Looks like a crackig set up there.

Dave

It is a really great venue. Unfortunately I believe that the venue has been subject to planning permission to turn it into a hotel and/or apartments. I just don't that there are enough 'big' gigs to support the venue for regular use. The venue is located right in the middle of Inverness so it is prime real estate for some kind of development. Hopefully however it doesn't happen as it is a first class venue.  

• Like 1

Completely different gig for me as I rented out and engineered my HK Linear 5/X32 rig to a 5 piece indie rock band playing a private 40th birthday party.

Band loved the on-stage sound, punters loved the FoH sound - win/win!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thodrik said:

It is a really great venue. Unfortunately I believe that the venue has been subject to planning permission to turn it into a hotel and/or apartments. I just don't that there are enough 'big' gigs to support the venue for regular use. The venue is located right in the middle of Inverness so it is prime real estate for some kind of development. Hopefully however it doesn't happen as it is a first class venue.  

I know there's another larger venue in Inverness called The Ironworks but have never been.

Hate seeing good venues disappear.

Dave

• Like 1