Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 minutes ago, theplumber said:

True Dave......we all like a bit of slagging in Scotland! Wait....does that mean something else in other parts of the country?

I'm not at liberty to say.

I see you had a good night in EK last night too. Using your new Sandberg as well.

Will need to check the band FB page for details.

Dave

1 hour ago, theplumber said:

Good gig in Village Inn,East Kilbride. The owner Paul is very much behind live music and it's a good venue to play. Pretty packed it suffers from the usual whizzed up punters so called dancing in front of the band. Had stand on the feet of the mike stand to save it getting knocked over a couple of times. One of our guitar players usually plays a Gibson Les Paul. He did the gig with some old £40 thing last night just in case.....For some reason some punters wanted drum sticks off the drummer at the end of the night. I think I might take a handful of old strings with me next time out....

247714855_4824819534216191_1151970509947248559_n.jpg

When’s the next time your playing there, would love to come over and see someone play there. Few friends play there and we’ll be looking for more venues for gigs in the new year, so would be curious about the setup. 👍

We started our tour on Friday, 4 lockdown related postponements later. Manchester was a Great opening night, followed by my first time in Glasgow. Great city! Last night was Sheffield. We played better each night. A couple of days rest before we pick up the southern leg.

IMG_1050.JPG.d880d2970d6cff73725d2c4d361c6dcd.JPG

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

We started our tour on Friday, 4 lockdown related postponements later. Manchester was a Great opening night, followed by my first time in Glasgow. Great city! Last night was Sheffield. We played better each night. A couple of days rest before we pick up the southern leg.

IMG_1050.JPG.d880d2970d6cff73725d2c4d361c6dcd.JPG

Whereabouts in Glasgow were you ?

Dave

17 hours ago, Fionn said:

We played at the Red Rocks, in Colorado. Our show was on the 5th.

Aye, there are sacrifices to be made, living it this wild remote place. It’s all worth it though. Balance is the answer for me, having adventures out in the world and coming back to this wild haven, it affords some nice contrast.

Glad that the world is opening up again, for all of us.

Can I just say that's the best casual gig name-drop I've come across in years? I was expecting the Lochboisdale Hotel... 🙂

• Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Can I just say that's the best casual gig name-drop I've come across in years? I was expecting the Lochboisdale Hotel... 🙂

Hahaha. Any port in a storm! I know such sticky carpets.

The Red Rocks was a bit special though, sure. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Angelus said:

When’s the next time your playing there, would love to come over and see someone play there. Few friends play there and we’ll be looking for more venues for gigs in the new year, so would be curious about the setup. 👍

We are back in on the 26th December. Drop in at some point and speak to Paul. Its a good setup and usually crowded!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theplumber said:

We are back in on the 26th December. Drop in at some point and speak to Paul. Its a good setup and usually crowded!

Thank you, will try and pop over and speak to them. Got a gig this Friday and doubt the guys will be wanting any more gigs before Christmas? Thanks for the info’ though. 👍

• Like 1

One from Friday night. We supported Thea Gilmore at a fairly local event in Northwich, designed to highlight the venue's potential. Hopefully they'll be able to put on more acts, as it could turn out to be a decent place to play, with a possible capacity of 1,000.

20211023_130302.jpg

• Like 4

I've been a bit busy in the studio this week... anyway, Saturday night we played The Boulevard in Wigan. Ace venue, great sound, strangely early start, but plenty in by the time we went on. Nick's new bass rig is still making me grin. I'm sure we're tighter

242938500_10158970412774877_3622266161746877989_n.thumb.jpg.a301bb349c26b5f0511ce0e06b5a76f2.jpg

• Like 2

It was great!! But not actually my gig...went up to see 24 Karat @bassfan's band playing a pub gig near Colchester, with a fellow BC'er, and what a treat! It was lovely to meet his bandmates, whom I've heard a lot about over the past few years, in person - really nice crew.

The set-up was...well err "luxurious" is probably the best description!. The band all go through a meaty PA, including a high-end electric drum kit, with a pair of 15" tops and a pair of subs which delivered a fabulous tight but powerful low-end of club level quality and they had also set up a full lighting rig (which my lot would only roll out for functions rather than pub gigs), and Paul's Berg bass rig, which was pretty much being used as his stage monitor in addition to everyone having in-ears, would put most back-lines to shame. Needless to say the band sounded great. It was also nice to hear a whole different set of covers than my lot play - over a 2 hour set there were at most a couple of 'overlapping' songs. I also loved the way the set flowed - guitarist had all his patches set up on a full-fat Helix floor so could scroll effortlessly through the set with little "dead air time" vs the pedal board tap dancing between songs. 

1076017925_24KI.thumb.JPG.7297ce0b9147f262812efde9539a96d2.JPG

And what topped it all off was rediscovering that you don't need a second mortgage to buy a drink when you're not in Central London! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It was great!! But not actually my gig...went up to see 24 Karat @bassfan's band playing a pub gig near Colchester, with a fellow BC'er, and what a treat! It was lovely to meet his bandmates, whom I've heard a lot about over the past few years, in person - really nice crew.

The set-up was...well err "luxurious" is probably the best description!. The band all go through a meaty PA, including a high-end electric drum kit, with a pair of 15" tops and a pair of subs which delivered a fabulous tight but powerful low-end of club level quality and they had also set up a full lighting rig (which my lot would only roll out for functions rather than pub gigs), and Paul's Berg bass rig, which was pretty much being used as his stage monitor in addition to everyone having in-ears, would put most back-lines to shame. Needless to say the band sounded great. It was also nice to hear a whole different set of covers than my lot play - over a 2 hour set there were at most a couple of 'overlapping' songs. I also loved the way the set flowed - guitarist had all his patches set up on a full-fat Helix floor so could scroll effortlessly through the set with little "dead air time" vs the pedal board tap dancing between songs. 

1076017925_24KI.thumb.JPG.7297ce0b9147f262812efde9539a96d2.JPG

And what topped it all off was rediscovering that you don't need a second mortgage to buy a drink when you're not in Central London! 

Mate. You are to kind. It was a great night, great crowd, great little venue and you and @PatrickJ coming all that way to see us was a real bonus. You probably got your burger aswell for the price of a pint in your neck of the woods. 😂 We aim to please glad you had a good night 😃👍🏻

• Like 2

My second post lockdown gig last night and we had to ship in a stand in drummer. Drummer who played the whole of the 90’s with me and after two rehearsals, was a dream to play with. He didn’t have a drum kit, so we asked a friend if we could borrow one of his spare (this is a true story), so he had one delivered for us, white Sonor kit, along with a selection of brand new cymbals. We then get a photo of the last owner of the kit, while it was on tour with Iron Maiden. 😳 Have to say, it was the best sounding drum kit that has ever graced the Horse & Jockey in Lanark. 😳

Couldn’t get a decent sound in the first set and couldn’t hear a thing on stage, but got better as the night went on. Was a good night though and looking forward to next years gigs now. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Angelus said:

My second post lockdown gig last night and we had to ship in a stand in drummer. Drummer who played the whole of the 90’s with me and after two rehearsals, was a dream to play with. He didn’t have a drum kit, so we asked a friend if we could borrow one of his spare (this is a true story), so he had one delivered for us, white Sonor kit, along with a selection of brand new cymbals. We then get a photo of the last owner of the kit, while it was on tour with Iron Maiden. 😳 Have to say, it was the best sounding drum kit that has ever graced the Horse & Jockey in Lanark. 😳

Couldn’t get a decent sound in the first set and couldn’t hear a thing on stage, but got better as the night went on. Was a good night though and looking forward to next years gigs now. 

Didn't know you were in there last night Lee. 

Dave

8 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Wee Ted is on in a couple of weeks, guitarist in my band is bass player in Ted’s. Would be good to catch up. 👍

Keep me posted Lee. Got a busy month coming up with the punk band. They dont half get a lot of requests to play. Next Sat is a rather unusual gig at a well known Scottish biker clubhouse. That'll be fun. I'll be scared to look at anyone in the audience. LOL

Dave

• Haha 1

Last night the covers band played at a pub venue new to us in Castle Donington, north Leicestershire. It was also the first run-out for my newly acquired Mustang. 
The bass acquitted itself well, however at the start of the second set it just didn’t sound the same. Half way through the song I realised I’d accidentally knocked the pickup selection switch to a different setting. Oops, I’ll have to watch that. 
After making the booking for the gig we found out it was Wakes Week and roads up to, and around, the pub would be closed for the travelling fair. This wasn’t as bad as it might have been since, once we’d charmed our way through the barricades, we were able to double park outside the pub.

We had lots of enthusiastic drunken dancers. How drunk? A young lady asked for some Bon Jovi, we played Dakota, she was ecstatic.

E2E8237F-AFA5-4070-967C-404999467412.jpeg

• Like 6

Just finished the second leg of a short UK tour, first since covid. Last night was Reading, Birmingham the night before and London the night before that. Completing 6 shows in 9 days. Every show was great and it was genuinely amazing to return to what I used to do before this all broke. Negative LF test upon coming home so hopefully more of this in 2022. 

Best highlight was playing one of John Entwistle's basses on a brief stop at the studio between Reading and Birmingham. 

1600925618_TimLGDSheffield.thumb.jpg.cd5a9d05cc0f74502dd6c20fd7a52458.jpg

Edited by Cat Burrito
  • Like 9

Surprise double gig night last night: first one was a freebie hour's set for a Charrridy Do, an easy one, with backline provided, we then shot off to drop the singist/geetard/BL at another bar (where we've gigged as a band previously) where he'd been asked to do a solo gig, and we (the drummer and I) decided to stay for one while he got going. There was a three-piece band still going in there, some kids (14, 15 and 16) who were fantastic; I love watching kids play - their enthusiasm and energy is a joy. When they finished, the singist had a chat with the bar owner, and then the Dads (and Mum) of the kids, and they very kindly let us use their drums and bass amp (drummer already had his breakables with him, I had my bass, obv) so we could do a couple of 45 min sets as a band and make some money on the night. 

A great end to a very musical evening... 🙂

• Like 7

Slightly odd gig - 'twas a benefit for a local community enterprise in a village hall. Place was full of kids and felt like a house party!

However, despite the tiny 400W PA they'd provided (could barely hear vocals!), a real effort had been made making the place look like a haunted castle (including papiere mache autopsy room next door!). We played very well, I was very happy with my bass sound and loads of people danced about - apart from 1 kid who stood at the front telling us it was too loud. We had to do 2 encores before they'd let us leave so all was good!

1359281826_ChokedatAshfield.thumb.jpg.643975001a67ba2956c985f12c0a348d.jpg

• Like 5

Had a good gig on Saturday, not doing too many at the moment as not really fully back from the plague and also the band is a bit in flux.

However, a place we had done before with an awful building, a skittle alley, aka a long thin tube especially designed to make everything sound bad. As it happened, not sure if it was the decorations or the number of people, but the sound wasn't as terrible as last time. It was well populated as they were also having a haloween party, people had made quite the effort to dress up and were out for a good time, as the first gig in that village.

We used to do ghostbusters but dropped it several years ago as we didn't like it and it always messed up. Decided on the thurs practice to resurect if for saturday if we could get it right. Practiced it in the sound check and it still wasn't right but it worked out ok as instead of playing it, we did the rif as a background music when they were doing the fancy dress competion, and it worked well for that.

In the end went on well, everyone enjoyed it, usual collection of over drunk girls wanting to sing and talk to us while we were playing, but occupational hazzard. Way more enjoyable than I expected.

• Like 4

On 23/10/2021 at 09:34, Captain Bassman said:

14 shows down, 10 to go.

We did 5 straight nights last week and it’s 6 this week and 6 again next week.

Physically demanding but great fun. Plus we get to perform with the Naughty Nurses (and sundry other characters) every night!

7A686619-A6A4-4FBB-A8B2-53F89AA4C42A.webp

22 shows in 30 days - final 2 shows this coming Friday and Saturday.

3x 45 minute sets each night = just under 50 hours on stage in total so far. It’s been an absolute blast and I’ve shed 7 pounds in weight to boot.

We have 4 nights off this week. I’ve forgotten what a quiet evening in feels like!

A812399B-B5A9-41C6-ACFA-798483C5E640.jpeg

• Like 6

I had my first gig yesterday with the band that found me via Bandmix. We’ve only had three rehearsals and apart from me, the drummer and female vocals are also new but the male vocal and two guitarists have all played together for years, are decent musicians and also very chilled  - a nice combination. Gig was a town festival in Dorking Surrey, one of those throw your gear onstage at the end of the previous act, play for an hour and then get off ASAP. All went well, couple of minor mistakes but managed to pull off Californication ok 😀 Backline was a TC rig but I was stood almost on top of it which I always find difficult to get levels right with. Also had one of those Phil Jones Ear Box things which appeared to serve no purpose at all!

• Like 3