Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Using fingerstyle. Its not so bad with tone backed off but i like that click from the high end EQ.

I'll take to rehearsals next week and experiment a bit with it to see if playing lighter helps.

Something i did think of this morning is whether a slightly heavier gauge of string might reduce the movement of the strings across the pole pieces. What do you think.

I'm using D'addario nickels 40-100. Could take it up to med gauge 45-105 see if it helps.

Dave

Could be a go-er although I would always use the strings you feel comfortable with.

Other thought - new band, new instruments and other players could be EQ tweak is all that is needed to let you shine - I know it’s the devil sometimes but if your guitars are very mid-focussed and heavy, then a bit more scoop out their range and get above and below them may make you stand out?

no disrespect but we’re you locked in the the drummer exactly - that will always give the bass more punch 

oh and dunno if you use one, but another devils word - bit of compression?!

Edited by Cuzzie

7 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Could be a go-er although I would always use the strings you feel comfortable with.

Other thought - new band, new instruments and other players could be EQ tweak is all that is needed to let you shine - I know it’s the devil sometimes but if your guitars are very mid-focussed and heavy, then a bit more scoop out their range and get above and below them may make you stand out?

no disrespect but we’re you locked in the the drummer exactly - that will always give the bass more punch 

oh and dunno if you use one, but another devils word - bit of compression?!

Hard to tell with the drums as the PA had no onstage monitoring apart from vocals. Drums were thru the PA but i was behind the PA line. With the boom on stage it was hard to hear the drums properly plus drummer was using other bands kit which was a tiny bass drum.

I was using compression to start but switched it off to see if it helped. It didnt make a lot of difference.

I was rehearsing with my other Glam band today and using my VM4 and even when digging in it still sounded great. Had an amazing tone today with an EBS HD360 into Ampeg 810. The VM4 just nailed everything.

Might be that the VM4 gets used for both bands. I'll try the P bass i bought at a rehearsal to see how that sounds.

I'm comfortable with 40-100's and have used them since i started 40+ yrs ago apart from when i bought my Thumb bass which came with 35-95 Elites and i liked them. Everything else has been more or less 40-100's.

Could pick up height be an issue ? 

Dave

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

We played at a great venue in Jesmond (one of the posh bits of Newcastle) last night. A sold-out ticket do.

Can't help thinking if 'm going to get covid, last night be the night...

So nice. Really enjoyed this. Great overall sound. Bass tone is gorgeous.

Nice one.

Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Had one of those awkward gigs last night. The Tap Social in Oxford is a genuinely lovely place. Always a great atmosphere, staff and punters are friendly, there's a nice stage and a house pa. 

Unfortunately I have always struggled with the bass sound. First time I played there it sounded great on stage but was booming at the back of the room. This time I tried a different rig and it sounded thin and kind of  compressed no matter what I did.

But I did the best I could then just got in with enjoying the gig. Too easy to be derailed by sound issues and forget we're there to entertain.

Yep i've done that on occasion altho its usually at rehearsals wherei lose focus on the song because i'm thinking more about my EQ.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

So nice. Really enjoyed this. Great overall sound. Bass tone is gorgeous.

Nice one.

Dave

That's very kind - thanks, Dave. It's a good little band... lovely people, and the gigs are fun.

The bass has really won me over. Works so well with flats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Had one of those awkward gigs last night. The Tap Social in Oxford is a genuinely lovely place. Always a great atmosphere, staff and punters are friendly, there's a nice stage and a house pa. 

Unfortunately I have always struggled with the bass sound. First time I played there it sounded great on stage but was booming at the back of the room. This time I tried a different rig and it sounded thin and kind of  compressed no matter what I did.

But I did the best I could then just got in with enjoying the gig. Too easy to be derailed by sound issues and forget we're there to entertain.

I've played there a few times with The Wirebirds, agree that the acoustics are not easy.

The brewer there is a Dead Head, and has been to see Frankins Tower. Saw him in Witney yesterday, he's hoping to get us on at the brewery soon

• Like 1

Led Zep tribute gig at the Victoria in Swindon last night. Great little venue (albeit with a 'challenging' sound onstage) and a decent turnout who were a very appreciative audience, so all-in-all a good night.

Long drive home to West Yorkshire in the early hours of the morning, not helped by three diversions on the M5/ M6 and then leaving my mobile in the drummer's car…!

20211009_174336.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

That's very kind - thanks, Dave. It's a good little band... lovely people, and the gigs are fun.

The bass has really won me over. Works so well with flats.

You cant ask for much more than that. Success.  👍

Dave

Howden Live in Howden on Saturday. We knew ticket sales had been slow but the promoter insisted we crack on. He even paid us in advance! News that morning that the local support had pulled out... a sombre 2 hour drive up from my house fearing the worst. When we arrived, the venue looked pretty cool, probably 400 capacity, nice big stage, but there were several guys huddled around a rack of PA gear and a fuse box. There was some talk of an hour round trip to get a small PA that might do the job considering the low ticket sales. Somehow they managed to cobble together a working PA from what was there, but they skipped close mics on the drums, and the drum wedge was out. So was any chance of a meal before our set as it had taken quite a while.

Anyway, we played 1hr 45 to about 40 people in a 400 capacity room and it was awesome. So much fun, and occasionally very funny. You can see the stage invader here

244647552_1887991988039889_1843303378420228983_n.thumb.jpg.dce2787ce664241d1f2ade6e6b99dff9.jpg

• Like 7

Played the Leeds Goth City festival on Saturday with both In Isolation and Hurtsfall.

It was Hurtsfall's first gig for almost 2 years and also the first since we parted ways with our drummer and decided to go for programmed drums instead. Two manic rehearsals the week before the gig (our first since March last year) mostly for get a feel for how the songs were sounding without an actual drummer. A couple of iffy moments during the set but I don't think anyone in the audience noticed. First outing as well for the Eastwood Hooky Bass which is big improvement over the Bass VIs (Squier and Burns Barracuda) I've been using before

Hurtsfall.thumb.jpg.c4dc7e7fac220be9281615bcbef923fc.jpg

After that I felt much more relaxed for In Isolation's set. Plenty of people dancing and as far as well could tell not too many left to go and see Auger who were playing at the same time at another venue as part of the Goth City festival.

• Like 4

A bit of a curate's egg of a weekend at the McVention Quo festival in Glasgow. We (the originals band) played the Friday night, and went down well for the only non-Quo-Trib band on for the weekend. I cocked up badly on the energy front, tho; I got a Greggs at about 8 in the morning on the way up there, and then with all the faffing of a multi-band lineup, I didn't eat before we went on at 8pm. I'm still recovering from the nasty flu&Covid thing I had a couple of weeks ago (though I've been fully negative for more than a week), and just didn't have enough in the tank, so three songs in I went off a cliff in terms of energy; I honestly thought I was gonna collapse, and I don't remember the last three songs. If it'd have been anything other than a gig, I would've gone and laid down, but hey, the show goes on... I felt better after a Maccy D's after I got off stage, but I was in bed in the hotel for eleven... Was OK for the next day - I stuck around to roadie for/watch State Of Quo, the band our drummer and geetarist are in (they were the best band of the weekend, including John Coghlan's bunch), and we went our for a curry after, but it was hardly the Bacchanalian debauchery it could have been...

The supplied Markbass rig (LMIII and 2 x 410HFs) reminded me why I sold my MB stuff years ago, but I made the best of it, and apparently it sounded good out front...

This is the first number, before I felt like lying down on the stage and expiring...: 

glasgow.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Howden Live in Howden on Saturday. We knew ticket sales had been slow but the promoter insisted we crack on. He even paid us in advance! News that morning that the local support had pulled out... a sombre 2 hour drive up from my house fearing the worst. When we arrived, the venue looked pretty cool, probably 400 capacity, nice big stage, but there were several guys huddled around a rack of PA gear and a fuse box. There was some talk of an hour round trip to get a small PA that might do the job considering the low ticket sales. Somehow they managed to cobble together a working PA from what was there, but they skipped close mics on the drums, and the drum wedge was out. So was any chance of a meal before our set as it had taken quite a while.

Anyway, we played 1hr 45 to about 40 people in a 400 capacity room and it was awesome. So much fun, and occasionally very funny. You can see the stage invader here

244647552_1887991988039889_1843303378420228983_n.thumb.jpg.dce2787ce664241d1f2ade6e6b99dff9.jpg

Sorry I missed that! I had the impression they normally had the PA side of things sorted, but sounds like something was amiss.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Muzz said:

A bit of a curate's egg of a weekend at the McVention Quo festival in Glasgow. We (the originals band) played the Friday night, and went down well for the only non-Quo-Trib band on for the weekend. I cocked up badly on the energy front, tho; I got a Greggs at about 8 in the morning on the way up there, and then with all the faffing of a multi-band lineup, I didn't eat before we went on at 8pm. I'm still recovering from the nasty flu&Covid thing I had a couple of weeks ago (though I've been fully negative for more than a week), and just didn't have enough in the tank, so three songs in I went off a cliff in terms of energy; I honestly thought I was gonna collapse, and I don't remember the last three songs. If it'd have been anything other than a gig, I would've gone and laid down, but hey, the show goes on... I felt better after a Maccy D's after I got off stage, but I was in bed in the hotel for eleven... Was OK for the next day - I stuck around to roadie for/watch State Of Quo, the band our drummer and geetarist are in (they were the best band of the weekend, including John Coghlan's bunch), and we went our for a curry after, but it was hardly the Bacchanalian debauchery it could have been...

The supplied Markbass rig (LMIII and 2 x 410HFs) reminded me why I sold my MB stuff years ago, but I made the best of it, and apparently it sounded good out front...

This is the first number, before I felt like lying down on the stage and expiring...: 

glasgow.jpg

Think one of my mates was involved in that. Young Jay from Status Quoing. Think he's still in his teens or there about. Our band played a support for them a couple of times when we started out. 

Dave

Yep, Jay was running the whole thing, as well as smashing it on drums and guitar - they're a great band, especially since I've got socks older than most of them... 😃

Edit: I've just checked, and Jay's Status Quoing were a much younger lineup than the one I've found online...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yep, Jay was running the whole thing, as well as smashing it on drums and guitar - they're a great band, especially since I've got socks older than most of them... 😃

Edit: I've just checked, and Jay's Status Quoing were a much younger lineup than the one I've found online...

Our last gig was a support slot opening for them because our singer and guitarist  know them pretty well which was in March just before covid hit. I thought they had packed it in unless young Jay has reformed with new members. Peter was the singer/guitaris from what i remember and he was around the 55-60 area i think. LOL

Young Jay is an amazing guitarist and a nice young lad too.

Dave  

Not last night but Saturday, had a gig with the covers band and the first live outing for the Epiphone Embassy.  Was very pleased with it, sounded really good and rorty on 100% neck pickup and it was super lightweight so very comfortable 2 set gig.  Wasn't a super busy gig though - I think people are still getting used to the fact that live music is back up and running.

Here's a wee vid from the gig - mobile phone so not great but the bass is coming through pretty nicely :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our last gig was a support slot opening for them because our singer and guitarist  know them pretty well which was in March just before covid hit. I thought they had packed it in unless young Jay has reformed with new members. Peter was the singer/guitaris from what i remember and he was around the 55-60 area i think. LOL

Young Jay is an amazing guitarist and a nice young lad too.

Dave  

Yeah, they must have reformed with younger members; they were the youngest band by a looong way last weekend...Jay's a great drummer, too...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

ot last night but Saturday, had a gig with the covers band and the first live outing for the Epiphone Embassy.  Was very pleased with it, sounded really good and rorty on 100% neck pickup and it was super lightweight so very comfortable 2 set gig.  Wasn't a super busy gig though - I think people are still getting used to the fact that live music is back up and running.

Here's a wee vid from the gig - mobile phone so not great but the bass is coming through pretty nicely :)

That looks suspiciously like the Rusty Nail? If so, we were there the previous Saturday. Whats the name of the band and I'll keep a look out for you. 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2021 at 14:12, Captain Bassman said:

First weekend of Tulley’s Shocktoberfest done - Friday and night and Saturday night.

Great vibe and fantastic costumes from the actors around the park.

2 nights down, 22 to go!

9C7E4005-C648-4C0A-8F9C-4BA78408CE1C.jpeg

9B67ADF1-5538-49D7-83D9-4E22AA4F7859.webp

A17FB2C1-906A-4F42-8059-8B42F9AB6033.webp

14 shows down, 10 to go.

We did 5 straight nights last week and it’s 6 this week and 6 again next week.

Physically demanding but great fun. Plus we get to perform with the Naughty Nurses (and sundry other characters) every night!

7A686619-A6A4-4FBB-A8B2-53F89AA4C42A.webp

• Like 4