Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We did 2 gigs over the weekend at The Newt in Somerset, which is a visitor destination  near me in Bruton. It was billed as a 'Deep South BBQ and Broil' and the place was decorated with gourds and pumkins, you can see some on the barrel, front left of the photo.

Saturday saw a small rain shower when we were playing which meant  moving our PA speakers under the tent but Sunday was beautiful and we had the added bonus of a PA provided (unknown to us). The band who followed us were a trio and their Bass player could not travel: I only found out after we had stripped down and my backline had been taken away in the van, I would have been happy to help out.

The photo is from Sunday and our singer/harmonica player has gone on walk-about and banjo player has his back turned!

243537689_3046561042328577_8970597473826161768_n.thumb.jpg.47c54cd570a1edc8dff9921fc898d890.jpg

• Like 6

Two shows over the weekend, followed by two studio days which limited my time on Basschat (hence the midweek update). We headlined the Betsey Trotwood in London on Friday and followed it up with an appearance at the Lexington as part of the Power Pop festival. Both were really solid performances, marred slightly by the train out of London being cancelled. 4am before I got to sleep on my singer's floor! Despite that it was a totally awesome weekend and the studio was great fun too. 

RicDav.thumb.jpg.626a068412fc9e4fdb51b4b91dc9492e.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

We did 2 gigs over the weekend at The Newt in Somerset, which is a visitor destination  near me in Bruton. It was billed as a 'Deep South BBQ and Broil' and the place was decorated with gourds and pumkins, you can see some on the barrel, front left of the photo.

Saturday saw a small rain shower when we were playing which meant  moving our PA speakers under the tent but Sunday was beautiful and we had the added bonus of a PA provided (unknown to us). The band who followed us were a trio and their Bass player could not travel: I only found out after we had stripped down and my backline had been taken away in the van, I would have been happy to help out.

The photo is from Sunday and our singer/harmonica player has gone on walk-about and banjo player has his back turned!

243537689_3046561042328577_8970597473826161768_n.thumb.jpg.47c54cd570a1edc8dff9921fc898d890.jpg

I wouldn't mind one of those in my garden for the summer. 

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

What a perfect outdoor cover....now who can I task to carry?

The place we played at has been around 8 years in the making and continues to expand. It was a run down Country Estate  bought by a South African ex Telecoms magnate and he has spent millions on it: all the infrastructure is money no object. Directly behind us is the Hothouse and slightly to the right is one of the 2 shops, a Deli. As you can see from the stonework, it is spot on. The Tent is not your usual gazebo in the rain and there was an even larger one hosting the BBQ .

There is a Country Hotel on the grounds too, I think it is around £1000 a night! They produce a lot of the food for the Restuarant on this site and the Hotel in the grounds and also do Buffalo Gelato, press their own Cider Apples and have a Massive Winery. They even bake their own bread using the apple skins from the cider waste for the sourdough! It's well worth a visit, the annual fee is £48 but that gets you into Blenheim Palace and Chatsworth too along with free entry to lots of other events.

https://thenewtinsomerset.com/garden

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Cheltenham Hall last night. Fantastic venue although not the easiest for sound. It was a long day there and back from Yorkshire, but worth it!

243777779_461749705002199_8307528237313286436_n.jpg

243356765_1310579846023285_6621119191740760019_n.jpg

You may have already told me this but i'm old and forget things but what's the band ? Cracking venue to play.

Dave

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You may have already told me this but i'm old and forget things but what's the band ? Cracking venue to play.

Dave

Yup, it’s ‘The ELO Experience’ Dave. I’ve been with them now for over ten years! 

Regarding gigs north of the border, we have Dundee and Edinburgh planned for March 2022. Drop me a PM a bit nearer the time if you’re interested mate. Cheers, Pete.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Yup, it’s ‘The ELO Experience’ Dave. I’ve been with them now for over ten years! 

Regarding gigs north of the border, we have Dundee and Edinburgh planned for March 2022. Drop me a PM a bit nearer the time if you’re interested mate. Cheers, Pete.

Will do Pete. Thanks for replying. I do like a bit of ELO.

Dave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, casapete said:

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Will do Pete. Thanks for replying. I do like a bit of ELO.

Dave

And I`ll keep my eyes open for the southern ones. I saw the Jeff Lynne at Wembley gig on TV a few weeks back and enjoyed it a lot, would be great to see a band doing those songs live. Had forgotten just how enjoyable that music is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

And I`ll keep my eyes open for the southern ones. I saw the Jeff Lynne at Wembley gig on TV a few weeks back and enjoyed it a lot, would be great to see a band doing those songs live. Had forgotten just how enjoyable that music is.

i bought the best of CD  and like you was surprised just how many hits they've had over their long career.

Dave

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

We’re doing Aylesbury Waterside Theatre on October 26th Lozz if that’s any good for you? Drop me a PM if you fancy going. Cheers, Pete.

35 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i bought the best of CD  and like you was surprised just how many hits they've had over their long career.

Dave

That was the thing for me, too.  I would by no means call myself a fan but I pretty much recognised all the song.  And the band put on a really great show - front man is very engaging, good back projections, great tight band that totally do the songs justice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, casapete said:

Really enjoyed you guys (and gals) at Sheff City Hall a couple of years back Pete.  Heartily recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peteb said:

@casapete did you play the Farmyard Party (big outdoor biker event in North Yorkshire) a few years ago? 

Don’t think so Pete, unless it was before I joined in 2010/11?

Some friends of mine did it a couple of years ago, said it was a good event (held in Helmsley.)

13 minutes ago, casapete said:

Don’t think so Pete, unless it was before I joined in 2010/11?

Some friends of mine did it a couple of years ago, said it was a good event (held in Helmsley.)

Maybe, I remember there being an ELO tribute on several years ago but could have been your mates (the venue is in Helmsley). 

• Like 1