Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last night I teamed up with my old friend of 32 years to perform a few 80s Alternative / Darkwave / Goth songs on acoustic folk instruments. So a bass free gig. It can't be everyday that you walk into your local and someone's playing Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart on a bouzouki! 

af557cfb-fd2c-4f24-867f-06f355bb53b2.thumb.jpg.73d584d790f43acaf2c24af78576eca1.jpg

• Like 4

Finally made it back to the Polished Knob in Todmorden last night to play the thrice cancelled booking that should have originally taken place in April '20.  A mixed night overall:

The bad

It was pretty quiet. We normally play Saturdays and it looks like that's the busier night. There were about 30-40 people in having a good time but another 30 or so would have tipped it over the edge.  Plus I always find it more difficult to summon the energy after a full day at work.

We've only played together once since the end of August. It was pretty good considering but you could hear the 'joins' in some places. It wasn't as polished a performance as the Knob deserved.

Amp failure.  Plugged in, unmuted and....... nothing.  Did the usual idiot checks, swapped the cable and still nothing.  Turned our background music off and could just about make out a static-y, fuzz pedal type noise that didn't change volume when I played with the input/output dials.

Of course, I'd forgotten to pack my backup power amp pedal.  Fortunately the DI was still working fine, so I went through the FOH and turned the bass up in my in ears.  Checked everything today and it looks like the problem is with the speakon connectors on the amp (DI is fine, headphone out is fine, cab works with other sources (originally thought it was a cab issue).

**Edit** Turns out it was user error. There's a 'headphone' button on the back of the amp that is proud when disengaged and slightly less proud when engaged.  It'd got pressed in the amp bag and I didn't spot it (never used the feature).  If I'd posted about it on here at the time then I'd have had the answer in 10 mins (like just happened) but I was too busy swearing!

The good

The pub has its own PA & lights, so no lugging it around and a quicker setup and pack down.  Raised stage means that you don't spend the entire night worrying that you're going to get your mic knocked into your teeth by enthusiastic dancers.

IMG_20211001_224631.thumb.jpg.48cc93ce64c73dc3ebbaf650911f1177.jpg

Despite the kit issues and basically setting the bass levels by guesswork, feedback was that it sounded pretty good.

A little FB clip here:

https://fb.watch/8ottck_Xkx/

We decided that the first gig back at our regular venues would be a freebie. It's not much, but if these places shut then we've got nowhere to play.  The landlord last night gave us the cash and told us to donate it to a charity of our choice, so the Booth Centre in Manchester will be getting a few extra quid in their coffers.

Edited by colleya
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, colleya said:

Finally made it back to the Polished Knob in Todmorden last night to play the thrice cancelled booking that should have originally taken place in April '20.  A mixed night overall:

The bad

It was pretty quiet. We normally play Saturdays and it looks like that's the busier night.  I always find it more difficult to summon the energy after a full day at work.

Amp failure.  Plugged in, unmuted and....... nothing.  Did the usual idiot checks, swapped the cable and still nothing.  Turned our background music off and could just about make out a static-y, fuzz pedal type noise that didn't change volume when I played with the input/output dials.

Of course, I'd forgotten to pack my backup power amp pedal.  Fortunately the DI was still working fine, so I went through the FOH and turned the bass up in my in ears.  Checked everything today and it looks like the problem is with the speakon connectors on the amp (DI is fine, headphone out is fine, cab works with other sources (originally thought it was a cab issue).

The good

The pub has its own PA & lights, so no lugging it around and a quicker setup and pack down.  Raised stage means that you don't spend the entire night worrying that you're going to get your mic knocked into your teeth by enthusiastic dancers.

Despite the kit issues and basically setting the bass levels by guesswork, feedback was that it sounded pretty good.

A little FB clip here:

We decided that the first gig back at our regular venues would be a freebie. It's not much, but if these places shut then we've got nowhere to play.  The landlord last night gave us the cash and told us to donate it to a charity of our choice, so the Booth Centre in Manchester will be getting a few extra quid in their coffers.

Was the drum riser provided too. Never seen that provided before at a venue. Looks like a tidy set up there.

Dave

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Was the drum riser provided too. Never seen that provided before at a venue. Looks like a tidy set up there.

Dave

It's a great setup.  A little tight on headroom but they put on 3 bands a week and the landlord has put a lot of thought into how it will work for the venue.  Built in PA is pretty punchy too.

IMG_20211001_224609.thumb.jpg.3fd74f4dc839d46643b11ae7c355a035.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, colleya said:

It's a great setup.  A little tight on headroom but they put on 3 bands a week and the landlord has put a lot of thought into how it will work for the venue.  Built in PA is pretty punchy too.

Band sounds good in the VID clip even tho you had bass issues. Not sure you would get much more on the stage..

Dave

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, colleya said:

Is this you guys?

Edited by steantval

51 minutes ago, colleya said:

Has the landlord finally got rid of the contents of an old second hand music shop that he used to keep at the back of the stage?? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peteb said:

Has the landlord finally got rid of the contents of an old second hand music shop that he used to keep at the back of the stage?? 

I remember that!  There's been a significant tidy up.  Lots of kit still in situ but much better organised.  The proper junk has gone and the rest moved to the back of the stage.

We hide it all behind the pull up banners that the rest of the band lovingly call the 'Nuremburgs'.

• Like 1

Just back from a dep gig in Witney, 2 sets of mostly blues plus a few I didn't know but managed to busk. Good fun, but booker wants to pay by bank transfer, so I won't get paid for a few days. Still the best way of sending an evening I can think of.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Just back from a dep gig in Witney, 2 sets of mostly blues plus a few I didn't know but managed to busk. Good fun, but booker wants to pay by bank transfer, so I won't get paid for a few days. Still the best of sending an evening I can think of.

Home early for a gig night Dave. ?

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Home early for a gig night Dave. ?

Dave

Yep, the place rang last orders at ten and it's only 15 minutes from home. Wife collected me at 10.15 as previously arranged as I can't drive at night with my dodgy eye.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Yep, the place rang last orders at ten and it's only 15 minutes from home. Wife collected me at 10.15 as previously arranged as I can't drive at night with my dodgy eye.

Love gigs like that. Got one next Sat as a double bill with a Ska band in Edinburgh. We're on first at 9pm and should be finished and packed by 10;30 with a 45min drive home that's an early one too and reasonably well paid for a 1 hr slot. 

Fully booked now every weekend from start November into mid Dec so things are starting to pick up a bit. (70's punk band.)

Dave

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Love gigs like that. Got one next Sat as a double bill with a Ska band in Edinburgh. We're on first at 9pm and should be finished and packed by 10;30 with a 45min drive home that's an early one too and reasonably well paid for a 1 hr slot. 

Fully booked now every weekend from start November into mid Dec so things are starting to pick up a bit. (70's punk band.)

Dave

Nothing in the books at the moment, most of the post-lockdown gigs have been relatively short notice ones. Can't commit to anything more than ten miles away as my wife is having to drive me around until I get my eye fixed, otherwise the main band would be out every week.

• Like 1

Had a great gig at a small private club in Mirfield last night. The club don’t normally have bands on but wanted to liven up a Saturday night. Two great sets with them up and dancing from the start. Mugs of tea provided gratis and rebooked for NYE. Even had time for dressing room selfie shenanigans.

D3D90189-ECD1-49C6-8096-EB2BB7BCE2C0.jpeg

EC537AB8-6451-4915-AD46-25CE57508C00.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Back at our regular pub last night. It was busier than I expected due to the local Satans Slaves MC chapter who came to see us. Later in the 2nd set we dedicated Mamma Mia to them. It was taken well and hopefully we'll play some of the biker rallies Next year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, colleya said:

The bad

It was pretty quiet. We normally play Saturdays and it looks like that's the busier night. There were about 30-40 people in having a good time but another 30 or so would have tipped it over the edge.  Plus I always find it more difficult to summon the energy after a full day at work.

We've only played together once since the end of August. It was pretty good considering but you could hear the 'joins' in some places. It wasn't as polished a performance as the Knob deserved.

**Edit** Turns out it was user error. There's a 'headphone' button on the back of the amp that is proud when disengaged and slightly less proud when engaged.  It'd got pressed in the amp bag and I didn't spot it (never used the feature).  If I'd posted about it on here at the time then I'd have had the answer in 10 mins (like just happened) but I was too busy swearing!

The good

A little FB clip here:

Great write up!

Totally sympathise about the mute button - I've gotta five(!) similar push switches on my DG amp, one which is hidden from view by the bass lead (usually the one I forget about) and an ohm switch on the back, so it can feel a bit like a pre-flight check list sometimes making sure they're all in the right setting, lol! 

On your fBook page it says you're a one gig a month band. Is that something you strictly keep to? 

Quite bad from my point of view.

Sound level to loud on stage, a bad rumbling feedback in the monitors and a sound guy that kept asking me to turn down til the moment my band mates an I could barly hear the bass.

:(

Fortunatly, it didn't translate into the audience and people seemed very happy from the show.

9 pieces pop funk band with horns, drums, bass, guitar, keyboards and 2 singers.

A big pub crowded with around 150 persons.

Originaly, the gig was programmed on a outdoor stage but we were forced to make it indoor because of the rain and wind.

;)

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great write up!

Totally sympathise about the mute button - I've gotta five(!) similar push switches on my DG amp, one which is hidden from view by the bass lead (usually the one I forget about) and an ohm switch on the back, so it can feel a bit like a pre-flight check list sometimes making sure they're all in the right setting, lol! 

On your fBook page it says you're a one gig a month band. Is that something you strictly keep to? 

Cheers! I'd never used the headphone setting so didn't know to check it. The button doesn't press very far and isn't recessed when it's engaged so I just didn't spot it. Feeling pretty foolish about it today.

We do stick pretty much to a gig a month. It was something we agreed to when forming the band. We've all got jobs, families etc and are lucky enough to be able to play as a hobby. This level of commitment balances well for us. It's good for me as gig booker too. We have 4/5 regular venues that we play 2-3 times plus a couple of new places each year.

Edited by colleya
  • Like 1

For me probably the best 'buzz' comes from playing on home turf to a bunch of friendly faces, mostly ones you recognise.  That's what we got last night and it was a blast.  This was a fundraiser organised by me and Mrs. Scrumpy for our wonderful village hall - well known to some of you as the venue for our S-W Bass Bashes.  The band played for free as promised in return for freebie practices in the hall during covid.  So no money for us but £717 clear profit for the hall and a bunch of very happy punters who danced and hammered the cash bar all night.  My old school mate Malc who lives locally saw me in Silverback for the first time and was deeply impressed, especially with our ZZ Top covers.  Hopefully impressed enough to give his cousin Billy Gibbons (honest!) a ring to recommend me as Dusty's replacement.  Life's good ☺️

• Haha 3

Great gig ( & food) last night in Carlton le Moorland...2 1/2 hrs of 60 & 70 pop nostalgia...raising money for a local cause...pic of set up after sound check...I know I keep banging on about a silent stage...but we wanted to rehearse a new encore medley...so we did this with FoH muted so the organisers could lay out the room.

IMG_2333.thumb.jpg.a10ae6d8e89563b95576a9bed27cbb8e.jpg 

• Like 5