Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Pub gig last night, it was dead - I think it being mid-month, the weather being decent and that the venue have changed their name recently all didn't help. 

I didn't really want to be there and to be honest made more mistakes than usual, partly as it was with a (very good) dep guitarist, so the set-list was a some of our less performed songs. It didn't seem to be an issue with the punters who were there though.

• Like 2

Did two sets with two different bands at at IOW Festival. 
Ampeg SVT Classic and 6x10 was my favourite rig of the day. I’ve played through plenty of 8x10, but never a 6x10. Unsurprisingly, they still get the job done. 
If the Ampeg 4x10 wasn’t quite so heavy, I’d probably get one. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I've only just recovered from Friday night's gig. I played a double header. Opened with a 45 min set with the newly formed Queen tribute who were supporting my regular Bowie tribute.

I don't think I've enjoyed a gig so much for quite a while. The audience were completely into both bands and we had some promising offers of further gigs for the Queen tribute as a result.

Couldn't be happier.

Somebody sent me a phone video clip….

• Like 4

Not sure if it belongs in her so if it's in the wrong place feel free to delete or move it.

Did my first ever open mic last night, OK it was on zoom and harmonica not bass but the same nervousness applies. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and although I was up third I didn't freak and played my piece almost flawlessly. Very interesting with folk from around the world playing different styles of music. Only lasted an hour but I'd have been happy for it to last all night, I even had a second piece ready to go.

• Like 7

A slightly alcohol fuelled but rockin' set on Saturday in Basingstoke. Despite being a little more lubricated than I am normally, another bass player was straight up afterwards to ask me what strings I used. Our keyboard player was off with his other band earning proper money but I am loving this band. All good players who rehearse.

IMG_2915.jpg.9817e2b078bf07c468ab045fe8782e55.jpg

Basin.jpg.5fa9b3e6ea503f3a07be76286b0dd97a.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

A slightly alcohol fuelled but rockin' set on Saturday in Basingstoke. Despite being a little more lubricated than I am normally, another bass player was straight up afterwards to ask me what strings I used. Our keyboard player was off with his other band earning proper money but I am loving this band. All good players who rehearse.

IMG_2915.jpg.9817e2b078bf07c468ab045fe8782e55.jpg

Basin.jpg.5fa9b3e6ea503f3a07be76286b0dd97a.jpg

Any chance you could post a pic of your Ric bass. Looks like an unusual colour.

Dave

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Any chance you could post a pic of your Ric bass. Looks like an unusual colour.

Dave

It's a ruby red 4003s, heavily customised. I swapped out the white pickguard / TRC for black and removed that awful pickup cover. Other than that I added the zero mod thumb rest and put a racing stipe on it. The strings are neon red but the camera snap doesn't do them justice. I know there's not a lot of Ric love on BC but it's a great bass. 

thumbnail_IMG_0463.jpg.200282dfe9197f48b905403a51fb0181.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wroot Rocks on Saturday, packed hall, absolutely drenched with sweat by the end of the set, played well, sounded ace

facebook_1632123085330_6845620385294959787.jpg.4d56193ab4bf0b87b77f1f8d7206194a.jpg

Northern Kin festival on Sunday, we were first on but still plenty in the big top, so cool to play on such a big stage with a big PA. They had an ampeg SVT and fridge for our bassist, sounded cool. I don't have a pic from the audience perspective. This is just after sound check

20210919_114710.thumb.jpg.658061a7e5826126bf43107c480cfcdb.jpg

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 9

Had one on Friday but not had chance to report as i was busy rest of weekend. Considering I'd been on holiday for two weeks and we'd had one very short and loose rehearsal 4 days before it didn't go down too badly. In fact they kept asking for more in second set to the point we ended up doing a first 45 followed by a second 80! Some generous positive feedback from a mixture of punters and other muso's from other bands. Hopefully will be back there next year.

IMG_20210917_204431.jpg

IMG-20210919-WA0005.jpg

• Like 8

1st gig after 2 years (apart from internet ones). New drummer and guitarist too. Went reasonably well - everyone cocked up a little bit... Mine was due to not being able to see fret markers in poor lights. Must get some dayglo markers!

But audience seemed very keen - 6th band out of 9 at Dollfest Abertillary....

FB_IMG_1632609019996~2.jpg

• Like 4

Well it's the one's you least expect that surprise you every time. Small village pub run by the sis of a guy who helps us get gigs (retired, got a bit of tie on his hands and some patience to chase)

A shoehorn and industrial tub of vaseline required to squeeze us in, and starting on best behaviour level wise.

Only plugged one of the One10's in but it was holding its own pretty well. Weird feedback from the PA after the third song but got that nipped in the bud. First set went well and the crowd were up for it, so the guitars crept up and for the second set I stopped using the second One10 as a stand and plugged it in, also got the Series 2 out of the bag as I hadn't spent the whole of the first set knocking chunks out of the beaten up Series 1 generally used in tight fits as it's had a hard life and I worry less about it (still sounds great and the reason I picked up the S2 and would like another Status at some point).

An older crowd to start with, but by the end of the night the youngsters had come in as well (probably to mock the old men making a noise, but they were singing along at the end of the night 😁)

Just the one numpty who wandered up mid song, was ignored by the vocalist and so turned his attention to me just as I was stepping up to the mic for BV's and totally oblivious tried to talk to me / shouted in my ear. 99% sure it wasn't "you're ****" but possibly asking if we had a CD. I was a bit busy at the time, and he wandered off, so we'll never really know

• Like 3

Did a gig in weymouth last night. It was the same pub we played as the last gig before lockdown. Sound limits implied but not as strictly monitored as last time, I just cut all the bass out and figured that would keep the DBs down, which appeared to work without really affecting the volume too much.

So much better than the previous one, presumably last time people were getting wary of being out, and now they are keen to be back in pubs, went very well but my god was it hot - it was like a sauna. presumably their noise issues stops them from having any air in the place, it was a bit mental. 

As we finished, one of the older guys who had been dancing said he wanted to sing, so got up on the stage and said 'I am going to sing sabotage'. normally we would just say no mate, no singing, but sabotage??- so me and the drummer looked at each other shrugged and went into our best beasty boys intro. We sounded pretty good but were quite surprised when the guy went into 'summertime, and the living is easy..' :)

• Haha 2

First gig since December 2019 for The Caffreys, the originals band wot I'm in. A lovely ticket do at one of our favourite venues, an intimate little place in Tynemouth. It's always a bit of a squish.

We did a handful of brand new tunes, including this one.

My new-ish black '71 P is continuing to warm the cockles of my heart.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 6

Gig life is slowly returning to normality and the one per week pattern has resumed. Audiences are still a bit smaller than normal with our older age group demographic but what they lack in size they make up for in enthusiasm. Last night was a great WMC in Royston, they loved their glam rock.

19DDF74F-7AAF-46B3-B922-D4C9046FED90.jpeg

• Like 3

Star & Garter in Manchester on Friday night. We went down well, won new fans, and had a great night, but there were more flip-ups than ever! Probably due to the guitarist having to be on the wrong side of the stage, meaning his deaf side was facing the drums. We just about held it together anyway :)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Star & Garter in Manchester on Friday night. We went down well, won new fans, and had a great night, but there were more flip-ups than ever! Probably due to the guitarist having to be on the wrong side of the stage, meaning his deaf side was facing the drums. We just about held it together anyway :)

Great venue, used to love playing there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Slightly delayed post from Friday’s gig at Fat Lil’s, Witney, Oxfordshire as we stayed there overnight and I have been sorting through the video.

A decent sized and enthusiastic crowd as always.

Very good, just a shame that annoying “look at me woman” was prancing about in front of the band on the video.

• Like 1