Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played a hot sweaty gig on a fairly cramped stage with my main band, Richard Davies & the Dissidents. Some serious players in the group and we are rehearsing regularly so I felt we did well. 

All my basses seem to have developed minor faults so I was down to a 51 parts bass! 

Diss.jpg.4aa6db60993da4860d0ac962c85ab540.jpg

• Like 5

Had a busy weekend heading west for me.

Friday night in Maidenhead, Then onto Exmouth on the Saturday night, A quick overnight stop in Bridgewater, where we managed to bump into Martin Fry & ABC, who’d been playing in Exeter, Then rounding things off with Sunday nights gig in Western-super-mare..

Heading North next week…

• Like 2

First gig since December 2019, and a last minute addition to the HRH Goth line-up for Sunday's Leeds gig.

Two mega 6-hour rehearsals to get up to speed after having not played as a band for 18 months. Nice big stage, great sound and a decent-sized audience considering that we were on at two in the afternoon and main attraction for the weekend (Fields Of The Nephilim) were on the previous night.

Here's a few photos...

241799124-864740990877560-84195366402417

241750397-864740130877646-24281630080816

241801827-864740487544277-90434900850731

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

First gig since December 2019, and a last minute addition to the HRH Goth line-up for Sunday's Leeds gig.

Two mega 6-hour rehearsals to get up to speed after having not played as a band for 18 months. Nice big stage, great sound and a decent-sized audience considering that we were on at two in the afternoon and main attraction for the weekend (Fields Of The Nephilim) were on the previous night.

Here's a few photos...

241799124-864740990877560-84195366402417

241750397-864740130877646-24281630080816

https://i.ibb.co/HTwP6kk/241801827-864740487544277-9043490085073118154-n.jpg

Nice bass. What is it ?

Dave

On 12/09/2021 at 11:43, Graham said:

On the downside, I found when I got home I simply couldn't sleep, barely slept at all, so pretty exhausted today.

Yeah, I'm another one who can't sleep after a gig. Need at least a couple of hours after getting home before going to bed.

Maybe adrenaline still in the blood or something!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Yeah, I'm another one who can't sleep after a gig. Need at least a couple of hours after getting home before going to bed.

Maybe adrenaline still in the blood or something!

When I used to live closer to most of our gigs, when I got home I'd have a candle lit bath with bath salts, beef jerky, scotch, listen to post-rock and read my book. That really helped, now we have an en-suite I might resurrect that for local gigs again.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Graham said:

When I used to live closer to most of our gigs, when I got home I'd have a candle lit bath with bath salts, beef jerky, scotch, listen to post-rock and read my book. That really helped, now we have an en-suite I might resurrect that for local gigs again.

If i did that i'd end up falling asleep in the bath and i'd be there till wife got up in morning by which time the water would be cold. 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

Friday night was my last gig with the Flotonics, the photos are from soundcheck.

It was a birthday party on a farm (hence the trailer stage and outbuilding backdrop 😃). I followed Google maps directions getting there, luckily I drive a pickup truck! The tarmac quickly vanished when I turned onto 'duck street', I didn't see many ducks but plenty of geese, chickens, pheasants and partridges on the dirt track. 

The set up was a rectangular patch of grass surrounded three sides by farm buildings. Hog Roast, horsebox bar, couple of fire pits and bales to sit on...right up my farm track! (That doesn't sound right 😆).

It was the new guitarist's 1st gig and he sounds great, it was good to meet him and play alongside him. Hopefully I'll get to play with him again soon, I'm still going to dep when needed.

The actual gig was beset with one major problem...the singer had a cold and we only managed about a dozen tunes over two sets! Shame that my last gig was a damp squib! I'm going to miss playing with these great musicians and I've certainly learnt a lot and improved as a bassist and as a human I guess.

I'm looking forward to the next project whatever that is, I haven't decided yet!

IMG_20210917_182437.jpg

IMG_20210917_184713.jpg

• Like 3

Played a regular gig in Witney again, bigger audience than last time so it went well. Drummer was trying out his first electronic kit which sounded fine to my ears and has a volume control. I'm playing there again with another band in a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

First post covid gig went well. We waived our fee and passed round a bucket and raised £255 for a local good cause. Good turnout, we enjoued it as much as the audience, and weve been invited back for another in October.

242116950_111770114584299_1197231851723362152_n.thumb.jpg.1413b72f9485e0a81567b51b38bd721d.jpg

Blimey, first gig back and you are playing the O2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Played a regular gig in Witney again, bigger audience than last time so it went well. Drummer was trying out his first electronic kit which sounded fine to my ears and has a volume control. I'm playing there again with another band in a couple of weeks.

Hey Dave, where were you playing? We're at Fat Lil's on Friday if you're free?

I've only just recovered from Friday night's gig. I played a double header. Opened with a 45 min set with the newly formed Queen tribute who were supporting my regular Bowie tribute.

I don't think I've enjoyed a gig so much for quite a while. The audience were completely into both bands and we had some promising offers of further gigs for the Queen tribute as a result.

Couldn't be happier.

• Like 2

Last night was my first full two set gig with a full band for about 26 years. Bluesfire played the Two Brewers in Chepstow.

I had been sceptical of the amount of gear - pa, lights, banners,  miked up drumkit. But the sound was immense - I took a five string, only used for one song but with the pa it shook the whole building 👷‍♂️ 😅. Only down side was hum, so I ended up using the jazz with both pups on full for almost every song.

The list of upcoming bands showed this was a pub keen on blues rock  and they were totally into the music. We played two sets of about an hour with an encore on top.

On the way back m4 was closed so had to detour through cardiff, managed to get 6 hours 😴 now working myself up to going to the bass bash.

Really buzzing 🙌

• Like 4

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Hey Dave, where were you playing? We're at Fat Lil's on Friday if you're free?

We were in a small bar round the side of Waitrose car park. We're hosting the blues jam at Lil's next Sunday - first one they've held since the lockdown started.

Which band are you playing with at Lil's? I can't drive at the moment (eye problem) so have to ask my wife to take me to gigs, etc.

19 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

We were in a small bar round the side of Waitrose car park. We're hosting the blues jam at Lil's next Sunday - first one they've held since the lockdown started.

Which band are you playing with at Lil's? I can't drive at the moment (eye problem) so have to ask my wife to take me to gigs, etc.

Ah I see. It’s with ChangesTwoBowie.