Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, super al said:

Ah yeah... I saw that advertised on Instagram...loads of gigs in and around Salisbury on the bank holiday, we played two gigs and the crowds seem bang up for it...live music is back 👍

At our saturday gig, it was a pub that isn't often that busy but it was heaving. I commented on it and she said, "You could be the sh*test band in the world and people would still come, we are so desparate for music" so I said, "Excelent, we are your band!". They seemed to love it anyway!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rich said:

No, it was the Bull in Downton. They certainly seemed to like it, but we were the 'headline' act in an afternoon/evening mini-fest so they were fairly well oiled :D 

I could have sent my OH, the kids and in-laws, as that's just down the road from them. That would have been an experience for you!

My last one was a lovely pub-garden job on a nice big stage with a great PA set up. The engineer was the band’s old one, which was handy! The sound was great, we played well, there was bunting and very Cheltenhamy folk sipping wine and beer with mud in and folks cheered and danced. Good times :) 
I snapped a shot of my setup, which both myself and the engineer were pleased with. I could’ve gone with one headrush, but as both were handy I just ran both flanking the house monitor. 

AFAA3157-CD4A-424E-8F3F-552716245824.jpeg

• Like 5

My acoustic duo played our monthly residency last night at a local pub. Lots of people in which was good to see, and all remaining seated. We make it mainly requests so a good mix of stuff, from Sinatra to Ezra! After 3x40 min sets I was quite knackered though, and my voice today is a bit affected. Still, great night - it’s my favourite gig and always look forward to it. Doing my local village pub (100 yds away) tomorrow night, so am hoping that goes well - landlord hasn’t seen us before so would be nice to get some more gigs there as I could walk to the gig!

• Like 2

Played an interesting gig this afternoon/evening with Frankin's Tower (Grateful Dead covers). Private party for the 70th birthday of an eminent Oxford chemistry professor held in the very spacious grounds of an Oxford college. We played outside, so the sound was good and we were well received. Not a paid gig (I didn't organise it!) but hopefully will lead to more that will pay.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Angelus said:

My first pub gig since lockdown. Interesting crowd, most had been to see the Ladyboys of Bangkok before coming to see us? Great night though. 

Forgot about that Lee altho not sure i'd be comfortable in your type of audience there. 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

Despite not running through a full set for many months my blues/rock trio played a memorable gig at The Pickerel Inn in Stowemarket to a small but extremely effusive crowd, many of whom follow us and had come up on the train from Ipswich.  We were tight, energetic and guitarist played with real passion.

• Like 3

Our acoustic gig at my village local went well - people doing the conga on the village green! Prosecco is a wonderful thing.

We did the first of two nights at The Core Theatre in Solihull last night, virtually capacity audience who were well up for it. Overnight hotel stay over, so my first night not sleeping in my own bed for nearly 18 months, bit strange! Looking forward to tonight’s gig, with the bonus of not having to set all the gear up too! It’s now starting to feel more normal for me to do these gigs now after an initial uncertainty. Also great to see audiences are getting more confident in coming to see live music again, with theatres doing their utmost to make things as safe as possible.

• Like 1

Big chain pub with house PA last night. Always a dodgy load in/out requiring us to park on double yellows in the middle of a lights-controlled junction.

Mainly young crowd going mad for the usual suspects.

My EBS head seemed not to be loud enough at first but then I edged the Drive control up a notch and BOOM there it was - big, fat and furry!

• Like 3

I have to say it's nice contributing to this thread again. Feels like a very long time ago I last was able.

Big corporate beano in Bristol and the first time I've ever played with no back line. Very strange experience but it kinda worked.

I have to say without the Backbeat I would not have enjoyed it. Seems to me to be able to hear myself well and with a pleasing bass sound I'd need a monitor so good I had just as well bring an amp and cab.

However the band liked it (mainly because I arrived 2 hours before them and set everything up) and the audience loved it ... eventually.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Second one in, and our first ticket do. Nice full room, felt just like old times.

Band still isn't 100% match fit yet, but we'll get there. Next up - festival tonight in North Northumberland.

vlcsnap-2021-09-04-00h21m37s494.thumb.png.1e32c8a7604be0b76e2fdb2e5bc45418.png

P9030214.thumb.jpg.0f9ca96f03271d8306d2fc483ae1ff7a.jpg

Great rig

Last night was our first gig since March 2020; wedding do at the Brighton Beach Club. Load in was far from ideal, park in a side street on the other side of the road that runs along the beach, carry pa (2x15" Peavey + ancient 15" monitor) plus my bass rig across the road then down a set of steps to beach level - eek! 

However the gig was great, lovely to be out again and see peeps enjoying themselves. Dep guitar we hadn't met before the gig was bang on, I was ok (I think) aim is always to keep tight and play the song. Got some free nosh from the buffet - nice. 

Didn't get off till after 1.00 then 1.5 hour drive back to Hampshire, try not to make too much noise unloading the car then cup of tea and a bit of toast - rock n roll! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did a birthday party this afternoon in the large garden of a farmhouse by the side of the river Amber in Derbyshire. Lots of dancing in the marquee and excellent food supplied by an outside caterer. For extra fun we invited the daughter and grandchildren of the host up on the stage to join us for the last song. It’s the sort of touch that gets you an extra tip on top of the agreed fee. 😉

74F6A341-F567-4A1E-BFF4-4F91F8D8C236.jpeg

• Like 3

Brilliant night at a local club. Loads of faces from back in the day reminded me of why the Norton audience is so good. Musically intelligent, up for fun and uninhibited.

Played through my Trace Elf into a BF Midget and a TCE 2X8.

If anybody tries to tell you that the Elf is a toy and only suitable for very small rehearsals or acoustic gigs, you can rest assured that person's advice is deeply suspect and to be treated with circumspection.

I had to keep turning down during the soundcheck (no PA support) and ended up gain on about 2 and master the same. Got compliments from musicians in the audience on the quality of the bass sound and no one had any issues hearing me. What an exceptional little amp!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our first gig in 18 months at the Railway Hotel, Royton on Sat 28th August. 

In a weird twist, I could have filled the date about 4 times over.  We've had loads of enquiries in the last month, are now fully booked for the year and have even taken some for 2022.  Normally I have to go hunting for gigs for the next year around October time, but it seems like they're finally starting to come to us.

Superbly well looked after, load in of about 15 feet from car park to stage, loads of power and a great crowd. Hotter than the sun too, I turned round towards the end of set 2 and it looked like our drummer had been swimming fully clothed.  I got to try out my Basschat lockdown acquisitions (Sandberg VM5 and TKS 212) live for the first time and was very happy with the sound.  I even remembered how to plug the PA in.

Several rough edges, not least of which were my backing vocals having not done a full 2 sets worth of singing for ages.  However we got loads of great feedback and a couple more bookings for next year.  I'd almost forgotten about that post gig buzz that stays with you until about Tuesday.

• Like 2