Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Good to see this thread revived, I love hearing about gigs and it makes me pumped about getting out gigging again soon. My two bands started rehearsing a couple of weeks ago but we have no gigs booked yet, things here are still basically shut down in terms of music venues and unfortunately I live in a rural area with only a few venues nearby. Restaurants and pubs are now open but with limits on the number of people allowed in, same with patios...fingers crossed for some work soon!

• Like 2

I played a couple of deps for a Led Zeppelin tribute band (complete with wigs for the singer and guitarist) over the weekend, my first gigs for 17 months.

I had two weeks to learn a two hour set (featuring a few songs with arrangements based on various obscure live versions) with a couple of jams with the guitarist and drummer. The first time I met the singer was on Friday night, an hour before we went on stage. The first gig on Friday featured a keys player (so I was offstage while they did Stairway, Kashmir, No Quarter, etc) and went down pretty well, but a bit hairy at times. The Saturday night gig (no keys) to a sold out crowd in a small club near Liverpool was great. A very appreciative audience, we played great and I got to channel my inner JPJ.

Great fun for someone like me who cut my teeth on Led Zep / JPJ and as a bonus I got to gig my recently re-acquired old 70s P bass for the first time in nearly 35 years!

LED INTO ZEP PB 07082021.jpg

gear.jpg

• Like 5

We’ve done a few outdoor parties and a festival over the last month or so but it was our first return to a good ole pub gig at the weekend.  So good to make people sing and dance again and not a mask in sight.  It was bloody fantastic.

13C64F9B-61D3-41DA-999B-8DBC03E3A952.jpeg

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 00:19, DarkHeart said:

First gig since March 2020 with the UFO tribute band, ironically on Pete Way`s birthday at Trillians in Newcastle, striped trousers were in order although they were a bit tighter than 17 months ago for some reason, nailed it and had a great night, not sure what the rest of the year has to offer.

I've got to dress for a publicity photo next week.

I suggested wearing stripey spandex but the

guitarist thought I was joking.

It was our/my first gig back, so first time playing out in 18 months last night. We played a warm up gig in a pub before we play bloodstock at the weekend. 

I am so glad we did. The first half of the set I felt quite nervous (few little fluffs and tempo of the first song was ridiculously quick) second half felt back to normal. 

really enjoyed it and put to bed the pandemic creeping question of “do I really like doing this”. I even enjoyed the challenge of not hearing much on “stage” and having terrible monitors ha! 

98713427-AEB9-4371-8136-0A5937E1661C.thumb.jpeg.4b77af2d03fb57b92ea15c80cede64fd.jpeg

• Like 4

Last Saturday was a birthday party, first gig since lockdown 1. All going well until 10 mins before start when I crushed my finger in my guitar stand, excruciatingly painful and it's one of my plucking fingers, great start! I had to play the whole gig with one finger, and for one number I used a p**k. Still, I reckon I faked it ok, the gig went off well, everybody happy. Still can't practice though. Next gig is the local Hockey Club's annual bash, always a blast 

Rough Trade in Nottingham last night. Absolutely rammed and they went nuts. I think it made a few people a bit nervous RE Covid, but it was so, so good to play what felt like a normal show. Probably the tightest we've ever been too. So cathartic

If you get booked to play here be wary of the load in. They've pedestrianised the whole street. Every muscle hurts this morning

We've had to move tonight's gig to another venue due to the landlord at the original place getting covid, hopefully it'll work out

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, gareth said:

Zak I hired him for my daughters wedding - great player and plays with Guthrie Govans band 

The Fellowship - they were on the same bill as us (further up, obviously). Zak is a strong player and I book him often. Lovely guy, also.

• Like 1

A busy Oirish Bar in Manchester last night (short notice gig...as in 'Can you do tomorrow night?'), great to be out again, even unrehearsed and frankly winging it...it all came back to me; muscle memory's a wonderful thing... 😃

• Like 1

On 11/08/2021 at 22:00, robscott said:

Last Saturday was a birthday party, first gig since lockdown 1. All going well until 10 mins before start when I crushed my finger in my guitar stand, excruciatingly painful and it's one of my plucking fingers, great start! I had to play the whole gig with one finger, and for one number I used a p**k. Still, I reckon I faked it ok, the gig went off well, everybody happy. Still can't practice though. Next gig is the local Hockey Club's annual bash, always a blast 

Years ago I crushed my ring finger on my fretting hand. It was very tender and had stitches. We had a gig booked and I said I can't do it. My ever so passive aggressive mate who was the guitarist said you will be fine. He thought nothing I was doing was complicated enough to warrant using four fingers. I played the gig against my better judgement and suffered terribly and had to simplify my parts so much it was untrue. I was embarrassed and humiliated.

• Sad 1

I played at Bloodstock yesterday with Black Atlas.  It was amazing. The sound quality on stage, the professionalism of the techs and the appreciation of the crowd was all excellent. We played well and I’ve never had such a buzz after playing. 

96AC9958-4904-448F-9462-A514DC8E53E6.thumb.jpeg.f2bf4ffeb9e13bf31019b552db0ba4e8.jpeg

• Like 8

Gig in a small bar in Witney last night - fourth time I've played there since lockdown eased. Very few people there this time - combination of people going on holiday and at least three other music events within 3 minutes walk. It was good to play, of course, and we still got paid. Better with a few more in the audience, though.

• Like 2