Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

I'm deathly afraid of Badgers 

European badgers are nothing like american badgers. American badgers look like they are going to knife you, european badgers look like they are going to invite you home for tea and scones.

ETA: Literally!

QOpwMK1.jpg.bf72f0673bdc996368ac0bf4ae8aaeba.jpg

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Hilarious punter vocal contribution on Saturday night...turn the volume up and have a listen. He was blitzed when we arrived at 7.30pm and could just about stand up at about 10pm when this little gem happened 🙂

I see the drummer is already self-isolating...…………..

• Haha 2

On 17/03/2020 at 21:00, Bluewine said:

I'm deathly afraid of Badgers 

Blue

A sensible attitude. They are a much loved animal in the UK, but probably the one with teh greatest offensive capability. And ours live in big families, not like your US loners...

594c104ac256c66d93788bff5b0de92d8323bb46

They're coming for you Blue...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Badgers: I used to work with a chap from a farming family in North Wales, and he'd go home at the weekends to help his Dad with the farm stuff. They were losing chickens at a rate to a fox being in the area, so his Dad had knocked up a cage/trap from wire mesh and 2x4s (something he'd used before) - his Dad didn't want to shoot the fox, the MO was always to trap it, drive it a long way away and release it. So they baited it and once it was dark settled down a way away to wait. After about an hour, they heard a kerfuffle, and set off with their torches at a trot. My friend told me the noise got louder the nearer they approached, his Dad was about ten yards in front of him, when suddenly his Dad shot back past him, all knees and elbows and accelerating, with the single cry of "stinky poo! It's a badger!". My friend followed suit, and the pair of them retreated to the house to sip tea and not make eye contact. They went back down in the morning and the badger had destroyed the cage completely, and given the 2x4s a good splintering, just to make the point...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

No gigging here in Milwaukee WI. And there's no end in sight. And we had the whole summer booked.

Blue

Hopefully the gigs will still be there when it gets back to some sort of normality. How are you surviving without gigs Blue. ?

Dave  

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Hopefully the gigs will still be there when it gets back to some sort of normality. How are you surviving without gigs Blue. ?

Dave  

trouble is we were booked up for the year, so got no spare dates to do the gigs we've had to cancel, I would think most busy bands are in the same boat, plus the good venues will be booked up for the year anyway

• Like 1

Just add the cancelled gigs onto the end of the ones you can manage this year. 

As much as its difficult i'm trying to take a positive slant on what's happening. I'm assuming the clubs, venues, events will all still be looking once this ends. We don't play a huge amount of gigs but we will just take up where we left off once this dies down a bit and start re-arranging any cancelled gigs as soon as the venues can take us. No point in being down on it. 

Dave

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave  

Not great, our band leader and her husband are doing live shows on Facebook every Friday Night.

I'm staying positive and following all the guidelines..

How about you?

Blue

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not great, our band leader and her husband are doing live shows on Facebook every Friday Night.

I'm staying positive and following all the guidelines..

How about you?

Blue

I'm retired anyways Blue. Living in countryside life hasn't changed that much for me. At least i'm getting the garden tidied up before summer this year. Its almost complete. I miss my trips to Costa coffee to watch the world go by or even the occasional lunch.

Our band only gigs every couple of months due to other member commitments. I def miss my rehearsals tho 

Was a bit concerned for people like yourself who rely on gigs to survive. Our singer who does a lot of solo gigs on a weekly basis is looking at other jobs like stocking supermarket shelves at night to make ends meet.

Health wise we are all good.

Dave

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just add the cancelled gigs onto the end of the ones you can manage this year. 

As much as its difficult i'm trying to take a positive slant on what's happening. I'm assuming the clubs, venues, events will all still be looking once this ends. We don't play a huge amount of gigs but we will just take up where we left off once this dies down a bit and start re-arranging any cancelled gigs as soon as the venues can take us. No point in being down on it. 

Dave

Your 'Glam Cousins' south of the border are looking at it the same way mate, we hadn't booked as far forward as we usually do this year as we were trying to balance pubs, clubs and festivals but we still had about 25 or so booked in.  Hopefully when this is all over the venues will reopen.....

Sad to hear that Alan Merril succumbed to this awful disease over the weekend.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 02:12, dmccombe7 said:

I'm retired anyways Blue. Living in countryside life hasn't changed that much for me. At least i'm getting the garden tidied up before summer this year. Its almost complete. I miss my trips to Costa coffee to watch the world go by or even the occasional lunch.

Our band only gigs every couple of months due to other member commitments. I def miss my rehearsals tho 

Was a bit concerned for people like yourself who rely on gigs to survive. Our singer who does a lot of solo gigs on a weekly basis is looking at other jobs like stocking supermarket shelves at night to make ends meet.

Health wise we are all good.

Dave

Glad to hear your staying healthy.

Yeah, we had a couple of 2 & 3 gig weekends all cancelled. The stimulus money I get will offset my $$$ loss.

Blue

FB_IMG_1585789899594.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/03/2020 at 11:14, martthebass said:

Your 'Glam Cousins' south of the border are looking at it the same way mate, we hadn't booked as far forward as we usually do this year as we were trying to balance pubs, clubs and festivals but we still had about 25 or so booked in.  Hopefully when this is all over the venues will reopen.....

Sad to hear that Alan Merril succumbed to this awful disease over the weekend.

Was sad about him. They were a great band in their day.

• 1 year later...

This thread is like a time capsule, it stopped when Covid hit, so I thought well, I would continue the other side (hopefully).

Yesterday, after much faffing, we had our first gig since probably the one reported on here in march 2020. It was for a family that just take a complete campsite over to have a birthday party.

Turned up to setup expecting like what we had a few years ago, a makeshift stage at the bottom of the field, but no, it was a full marque with a wooden stage part, very impressed. 6-9 with a 20 minute break. We had rehearsed enough songs for 3 hours.

Seemed a bit stiff at the start and we made a few mistakes here and there, but the crowd enjoyed it and I really enjoyed it after a couple of songs trying to get relaxed. The guitarist said it was the best bass tone I have had. Same 2 TC 1x12 speakers but the ashdown ABM600 and Ibanez EHB1505ms doing their first gig (and the squier mustang for a few songs). Also I used the SY-1 more than I have before (including an impromptu happy birthday on holiday camp organ sound!).

It has to be said the band sound was good overall - I also used a behringer sub I got as a b-stock and that really helps with the drums.

Suffice to say we ran out of songs as the songs are faster gigging than practicing and had to rapidly search our lists to remember songs we hadn't played for the year, and my fingers aren't going to be doing anything today - its not the same gigging as practicing is it!

Really happy though, can't wait for the next one.

• Like 4

It's great to see this thread come alive again, finally some positive news after all this time. 😊

It is still very quiet on the music scene here, both the bands I am in are having their first rehearsals this week since March 2020 and we are hoping for gigs but have nothing booked yet.

I couldn't find this thread when I started gigging again, glad it's resurfaced.

Played last night at a small local pub with a band I haven't played with for about 3 years. Good to see them again and play some songs I thought I'd forgotten but my fingers seemed to remember!

That was my seventh gig this side of the Covid restrictions. Going along to a blues jam this afternoon, next gig is my daughter's wedding in a week's time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Small club on the outskirts of Rotherham on Friday. Certainly needed to blow a few cobwebs away. It was a little quieter than previous expeditions to this place, it looks is if the ‘plus 50s’ are still to return en masse. A great little gig though and will lead us nicely into the weekly gigs we have until the end of August.

• Like 2