Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

a cool drive home thru the countryside tho, spotting various barn owls and rabbits dashing about

One of my favourite things about being a musician is the drive home. Largely because of this! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

One of my favourite things about being a musician is the drive home. Largely because of this! 

Normally about 3 numbers before we finish I’m already thinking about the packing down and drive home, and the not getting up until late sunday morning. 
In fact I tend to spend the last set organising my Sunday in my head. The fingers know what to do so that leaves my head free to do more interesting stuff. 

Did a show in my regular lounge gig last night after which they‘ve closed the doors until April 19th. After that there‘s a show I‘m not involved with, so my next (theoretical) gig would be May 28th. All gatherings of 50 or more people are banned so I‘m out of work.

Is there a scratching head emoji?

12 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

“drunk people dancing and falling over into the singer and breaking his mic stand” scenario by the end of it.

Had a cool drive home thru the countryside tho, spotting various barn owls and rabbits dashing about. 

I do love a little bit of drunks falling about towards the end of a gig, but then perhaps I haven't seen it too bad.

Wildlife is lovely but all I've been seeing is a lot of roadkill badgers 😥

Finished my annual run of 4 nights playing in a panto band. Usual mix of show tunes and cheesy pop songs. Playing the same stuff 4 nights in a row means the Saturday night is the best and it’s a fair bit of a come down ending on a high. Cast, band and audience builds up to the Saturday night and then stop, never to be done again. Kinda weird, with the other bands you play and play, enjoying performing a “set”, which you get to do again and again, adding new songs and dropping old ones. Not sure why this is depressing? Learning around 30 songs every year, just to play them four times and not play them again? Still ,looking forward to next year now. 

• Like 1

I ruptured my cruciate ligament and dislocated my kneecap on Monday, so last night's gig was a challenge.  Strapped up and on crutches, I played sitting down. The lads picked me up and dropped me home (30 mile round trip) and set up all the gear.  Bloody painful (especially when the drummer stood on my foot) but got through it.  60th birthday party so, like many others above, we were mostly ignored.  

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Only time I ever see live badgers is when I'm driving home from gigs. Gotta keep an eye open for them, they are often wandering along the edge of the road, right against the verge, and being dark are hard to spot until the last moment. I drive quite slowly on unlit rural roads because I would hate to kill a badger.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Only time I ever see live badgers is when I'm driving home from gigs. Gotta keep an eye open for them, they are often wandering along the edge of the road, right against the verge, and being dark are hard to spot until the last moment. I drive quite slowly on unlit rural roads because I would hate to kill a badger.

Good man

• Thanks 1

I have setts in my garden and could see them every night if I chose to.  I get somewhat complacent about it tbh.  Bloody things dig my plants up if they are of a mind to.  The latest game is to make their communal latrines in the middle of my borders.  But to see baby badgers frolicking about is something rather special and I have adjusted my mindset re damage accordingly.  I now consider it to be a small price to pay :) 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Big bits of kit, badgers, I would imagine you could get a serious amount of damage if you did hit one !

😎

I'd be a lot more concerned about the damage inflicted on the badger than a few dents in the car!

26 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I drive quite slowly on unlit rural roads because I would hate to kill a badger.

I did coming back from weymouth on friday as it was very dark with poor visibility on a place with quite a few badgers.

12 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I have setts in my garden and could see them every night if I chose to.  I get somewhat complacent about it tbh.  Bloody things dig my plants up if they are of a mind to.  

We do too - we even have a facebook page for them (started as hedgehogs but they all dissapeared). We have cameras out to watch them - absolutely love the badgers and put up with a bit of damage for it, because what the hell, they were there first.

As you say, when the babies turn up it is amazing.

Probably can't see this outside of facebook:

• Like 3

Pretty busy pub gig last night, plenty of dancing. Annoyingly lots of people wanting to shake my hand, some of them multiple times, usually just after I washed them!

I’m expecting and kind of hoping the gigs I have in April will be cancelled once CV accelerates.

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Its strange, I don't think that until a few years ago I`d ever seen a badger, live or dead, nowadays it seems obligatory for there to be a dead one at least every 5 miles on country roads.

• Sad 2

Hilarious punter vocal contribution on Saturday night...turn the volume up and have a listen. He was blitzed when we arrived at 7.30pm and could just about stand up at about 10pm when this little gem happened :-)

• Haha 5