Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like a great night was had. 

Why is the guitarist leaving. You pull in a big crowd when you play. Seems a bit odd to leave a successful band.

Good luck with guitarist search. 

Dave

Hi Dave. A long term condition affecting tendons in his fretting hand has forced him reluctantly to retire. 

• Sad 3

Saturday night, Belmont Conservative Club.

Considered wearing a 'f**k Boris' t-shirt 😝

Nah, it's more a Social Club than anything, the kind of thing that's taken over from WMC's. Cheap drinks, nice size stage, dancefloor, with tables beyond. So that any pics taken from tables during the first couple of songs look like we're playing to an empty club.

Things soon livened up, packed dancefloor from halfway through the first set. Good people, good gig.

Managed to do the entire gig without realising my cab was upside down.

IMG-20200301-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

The acoustic division of Maple Road played The Harley Davidson Motor restaurant Saturday night from 5:30- 8:30.

We play there once every 2- 3 months. We have a good relationship with Harley and they book us for several large sumner events.

Great hours, great looking place, easy load in abd out. We play right in front of the bar which is also the route to the exit. Everyone has to walk by the band when they leave , so tips are fantastic . They have a very upscale crowd.

My big joy was having a stage monitor that I could actually hear my bass. I could hear every note I played crystal clear.

Blue 

FB_IMG_1583183859946.jpg

• Like 3

Wee support gig in Glasgow last night with our good friends Status Quoing.

Played for an hour, had the dance floor bouncing for 2nd half of our set and even asked for a few encores but time constraints we could only do the one. Lot of people recording the band throughout the gig with phones. Lots of pics being taken.

Busy club venue and great atmosphere. Band played well. Not our own PA but sound was pretty good out front. Lack of stage monitors caused a few problems when we couldn't hear singer at times but all on all a nice wee gig. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Quite enjoy support gigs. We turn up, play and go home early. No PA's to set up, no lighting to set up and its an early finish and home by 11pm even after a visit to McD's...........and we get paid too. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

Last night at the county hotel in Grimsby.

an evening of classic 1976 - 1982 British punk, pub was pretty full all evening, never fails to bring out the teenager in folks!

Bloody hurts the next day though, as we're all getting on a bit - which is why we only try and do about half dozen gigs a year!

Last night at The Newt in Somerset, a  new visitor destination.

Hello Hopeville were invited to play at their Wassail event and other than being given our set times and a list of other things happening, had no idea what would be happening. We were told we would be playing in a Marquee, this massive one covered a whole courtyard maybe 30m X 30m and was open on one side. Full P.A., 4 soundies, wireless mikes, DI backline all sorted. We were asked to be there for 4.30 soundcheck, starting playing at 6.00 pm, all good.  Before playing plenty of mulled cider, and food harvested from the gardens. 6.00 pm guests started arriving, all family and friends of the venue along with Morris dancers, Musketeers,  Castle Carey Fire brigade (yes), and The Wassail King.

Played our set of 60 minutes then the Wassail KIng started his ceremonies and a procession followed him to the Wassail Tree where various chants and songs took place. The Wassail KIng then led the crowd to the canons (yes) and the Musketeers fired rounds of blanks over the fields. This was followed by a proper job 15 minute firework display, then the fire engine played its siren and  flashed blue lights!

In the meantime we had an opportunity to go back and eat more of the food the guests had been offered which was a broader menu to what we had been offered earlier including lods of cider apple cake!  More mulled cider but also loads of Wild Beer (brand) brewed just up the road.

Back on for a 40 minute set and home by 9.00 pm!

Well paid and the only downer was I decided to 'style it out' being the person nearest the open side of the marquee and did not wear my coat for the first set, temperatures were around 4C and I was freezing. Second set wore hat ,scarf and coat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arden Inn, Accrington for the first time last night. Second gig in a week which is unusual for us.

Arrived to an empty pub, thought 'uh-oh'. Still, got to set up in peace whilst chatting to the friendly bar staff and a couple of locals.

Soundchecked and then everyone turned up. Packed the place, danced all night, including to the tunes through the PA during the break.

Loads of nice feedback, and a great landlord.

Stingray 5 into a Handbox R400 and Barefaced Two 10. Lovely!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Liking the band name "Jump the Shark" ............Kool name.

Sounds like it was a great night. Everyone goes home happy. I love it. :D

Dave 

Cheers, it's a TV phrase for a show that has run out of original ideas and has to rely on gimmicks to get attention. Seemed appropriate!

• Haha 1

Last night? In a word - awkward (on a couple of fronts). Decent drive away but the venue had its own PA so we could just cram all the band's gear into gtr/vox's mpv. Great stuff, cant recall last time I didnt have to drive to a gig myself.

The remit was that it was the birthday of an old acquaintance of the drummer so he had basically booked us via the pub for not very much money. He's not in good health at all but desperate to join us on stage for a couple,this is what we were told and the assumption was hed practice some of our songs. He hadnt arrived after we soundchecked so we nipped out for food and got back to find him pouring over our set list and cross reffing it with a book full of chord sheets. Oooh I thought, hes well organised. However we play quite a few in different keys to original.

Then he set up his gear which sounded pretty awful and then it became clear he was going to sit on a stool about 6 inches from me (and this is a big bloke, 20+ stone) and just drop in and out of our entire set at will. However most of the time either wrong key or just plain wrong chords anyway irrespective. Constant fiddling with his amp as we were playing, necessitating him to try to turn round on his stool which made his gtr headstock (suitably pointy) to keep catching me in the back/midriff. Then the drummer tarted losing it, missing fills and getting generally lost. Sounded like a bad jam night to me.

Landlady comes up at interval and says she will hand a jar round (quite a lot of people were there) as she knows we are not on much money. Later a bloke approached me as we finished and said he was going to personally double what was in the jar as hed enjoyed it so much. End of the gig (couldnt wait for it to end frankly) I was on my way to the gents and saw the LL and birthday boy counting up the jar takings. I only glanced over but it looked a decent amount of money, also got some good feedback from a few punters (presumably deaf to the racket going on for 2 sets). So we load the car and hang round waiting for the extra tips only to be told that birthday boy (an ex biker) has decided to donate the jar takings to a disabled biker's charity. No consultation with us at all. I dont want to seem the bad guy here but that wasnt his decision to make and I'm sure the bloke promising to double the tips didnt expect it to go anywhere other than the band either.

final straw, he wants us to go back and do it all again next year....

Edited by KevB
  • Sad 4

I've not really seen the jar and tip thing up here but if i did come across it i'd be assuming it was for the band. If i put money in it would only be because i enjoyed the band. I donate to enough charities thru direct debits and hand-outs at shopping centres etc. Think i would be a bit miffed if not even consulted.

Dave

• Like 2

Its not common to me either and as Id never played this pub before I dont know if they do it for every band (to offset low fees up front) or if it was a one off because of it being a birthday bash. I actually quite liked the venue, LL seemed very nice and set the PA up herself and gave us feedback on what needed tweaking at soundcheck which was quite helpful, though we are all experienced players.

• Like 1

The jar thing is rare in my experience; we've had it a couple of times, and the jar's never been counted, just handed over to us; it's always been 'for the band'. We've used it before ourselves: we do an annual Charridy gig at a local pub, we have the bucket out front, and it gets hawked around, but it's always very clear it's all going to a Charidee we've picked and announced.

3 hours ago, mikebass456 said:

This money jar sounds familiar to me from a few years ago, along with the 'LL who set the house PA up - the pub in question wouldn't happen to be in Lincolnshire would it?😐

Yep, almost certainly the same pub.

3 hours ago, KevB said:

..SSo we load the car and hang round waiting for the extra tips only to be told that birthday boy (an ex biker) has decided to donate the jar takings to a disabled biker's charity. No consultation with us at all. I dont want to seem the bad guy here but that wasnt his decision to make and I'm sure the bloke promising to double the tips didnt expect it to go anywhere other than the band either.

final straw, he wants us to go back and do it all again next year....

You are not the bad guy. That money was intended for the band. It was your call to donate or not.

If I understand the story this is very bad form bordering on theft.

Tips are a widely given an accepted here in the States.

Last night tips were outstanding. Instead of taking home $200.00, I go home with $230.00. 

Blue

• Like 2

I remember playing a gig at a biker pub where there were several bands and there were collection buckets all around. I tried picking one up and it was too heavy to lift. According to local accounts, the landlord disappeared with the lot after the gig.

The bands all gave their time, equipment, and expertise for free, on the basis that it was a genuine charity event. Which in a way it was, but not for the 'cause' most of us had expected. 

I remember playing a gig at a village pub many years ago and we had already played two encores, the punters were adamant that we played Black Dog again, so they passed a glass around to get us to do it.

Not bad, that one song earned us just over £50 when we checked the contents of the glass.

• Like 2