Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Actually pretty good - two dep gigs back to back with a Gypsy-Jazz outfit. Fast tunes and I'm a bit out of practice but managed to keep it all together. All acoustic (no amps etc) = lovely to play and everyone has to listen properly to each other. 

87397119_2314146795549873_4322997322020552704_o.jpg

• Like 3

On 23/02/2020 at 10:05, Graham said:

Very good last night and the new guitarist is bedding in well

It was a surprise 60th birthday at a social club, good sound and lots of space on stage and a pretty decent crowd (apart from the drunk idiot who started taking his trousers off just before we started...)

I was r  qeally happy with my tone - the only thing I'm gassing for is new strings and an amp that doesn't need violence to get it to work.

Is taking your pants off  in public a popular activity in the UK? :)

Blue

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Is taking your pants off  in public a popular activity in the UK? :)

Blue

It certainly wasn't popular with the father of two young daughters who were there (I'd guess aged about 2 and 4), who stopped his display by threatening to thump him....

Here's a short video of the guitarist from Saturday, you can hear me in the background 😁

16 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

Actually pretty good - two dep gigs back to back with a Gypsy-Jazz outfit. Fast tunes and I'm a bit out of practice but managed to keep it all together. All acoustic (no amps etc) = lovely to play and everyone has to listen properly to each other. 

87397119_2314146795549873_4322997322020552704_o.jpg

.... and tasty snacks to hand for a quick bite between numbers  😊

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

.... and tasty snacks to hand for a quick bite between numbers  😊

Absolutely - it got better! Delicious cake and coffee and free bread to take home. Actually I was so focused on the chords whizzing past that bread didn't even cross my mind (this is a rare thing, I love bread!!).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Yes, we have darts here in the USA. :)

Blue

Years ago i visited a friend of mine in San Francisco and most nights played darts with her flat mates. I beat them everytime so they can't be very good over there 😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mep said:

Years ago i visited a friend of mine in San Francisco and most nights played darts with her flat mates. I beat them everytime so they can't be very good over there 😎

I was really good about keeping my cool about setting up and starting late because the tournament went late. Plus the tournament was partially responsible for the nice crowd. This is the second time I've done an acoustic gig in The ROAD HOUSE front bar.

There were probably between 75 and 100 people in the bar.  I think we all know when you get close to 100 people in a small bar it's dangerously packed.

We we're booked for 3:00-6:00 3/23. We didn't start until 3:45. We played until 6.

I go direct into the mains, we don't use any amps for acoustic shows. I couldn't hear myself and wasn't very happy with my playing.

Blue

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I go direct into the mains, we don't use any amps for acoustic shows.

Blue

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You don't want to try that in the UK! 🌩️☠️🌩️

Not quite sure what you mean by going direct into the mains with no amps ?

Jazz quartet gig last night in a small club that was packed with a mixture of our regulars and a lot of folks who hadn't heard us before. I had been in a bit of a blue funk for a few days about life in general but that crowd and the way our band played lifted me up as soon as we started the first song, it was one of those nights where we played really well and the audience appreciated it, one to remember.

We've been together for over eight years and played a lot of gigs and every once in a while it all comes together perfectly and makes for a memorable evening. We gained some new followers as well and that is always a good thing.

I was especially happy because it was the first gig since I had my DB set up a couple of weeks ago and it sounded totally different and much better than a cheap ply bass should and I got a lot of positive comments from band members and others. Money well spent.

Hard to get to sleep after that gig, a great night.😊

• Like 4

Cracking gig this afternoon at Blues at Barleylands - a regular Saturday afternoon club in Billericay. Great turnout with members paying £6 a ticket. A real testimony to the club management, proving that if a venue can build a reputation then the punters will come, and pay for the privilige.

We played a couple of great sets, mix of originals and crowd pleasing blues/rock covers. First time out as a three piece, worked really well, and got an amazing response from the audience.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

Saturday at The Ferry in Glasgow. 300+ punters up for a good night out. It was our rhythm guitarist's last show after ten years sterling service. The search is on for a new NoParfitt.

FB_IMG_1583053602784.jpg

FB_IMG_1583053581042.jpg

Looks like a great night was had. 

Why is the guitarist leaving. You pull in a big crowd when you play. Seems a bit odd to leave a successful band.

Good luck with guitarist search. 

Dave