Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 hours ago, KevB said:

It's a reissue, from Fender's Chinese factory. Telecaster modern player. Picked it up second hand from basschat a couple of years ago after two separate people approached me about potential blues rock oriented projects. Neither came to fruition and as my 'main' band uses drop tuning (I use my USA P and J basses for that) I thought I'd use this one in the blues rock trio so I could avoid detuning and retuning basses all the time for gigs and rehearsals. Here's a demo of the reissue at GAK :

Very nice Telecaster bass.

Mine is a MIJ Fender P.

BlueFB_IMG_1561734215151.thumb.jpg.93b0a6e01ee3f457e98911010f480c0b.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

On 16/02/2020 at 02:04, dave_bass5 said:

Played a club it Tooting  tonight. Not the best of crowds but it had its moments. Only 30 mins each way for me.

Guitarist moaned  i was too loud in places and it must be my pedal, i pointed out a few times i was going directly in to my amp. Master level was set at sound check and not touched. He on the other had was all over the place volume wise. Always fiddling with his pedal board. He reuses to bring it to rehearsals so he is never prepared. I pointed out that when i sounded loud it was because no one else was playing. When i was quite it was because he was too bloody loud. On stage recording shows this. 

I also had to listen to him and the drummer moaning about how long the journey  was from north london. Bloody cheek as most od our gigs have been in north london, and we rehearse in north London, meaning a 2 hour round trip for me and the singer. 

Getting fed up with bands, and more specifically guitarists who dont have a clue and its all about them. 

Rant over, as you were 🤐

I left my last band after 9 years of constant moaning from the lead guitarist about my volume - like yours, it's set at soundcheck and never touched. Problem is, his hearing was shot and his ability to distinguish his own frequencies diminished after 30 minutes or so.  I did explain this to him but he wouldn't accept it and would turn every gig into a battle. In the end I'd had enough and left. 6 years later my current band complain if I'm not loud enough to overpower our 'double kick drum' maestro. 

• Like 1

Likewise my volume is set to balance against the drums and it never changes between gigs. My amp and bass settings never change even with full PA support. 

Means when i turn up at a gig i know exactly where my Master volume will be.Guitarists volume does vary a bit because of pedals he uses but he knows about it and is constantly tweaking them to get a better balance for himself.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Not done this in a while but just done a 5 day stint as main support.

Wednesday we played the Dome in Cardiff.

The headliners used their own desk and engineer as they all use in ears and no backline. The in house engineer was totally on point and with 45 mins before doors had us all rigged back up and our "normal" set up of back line and monitors all ready to roll, great gig and cool venue.

Thursday the Garage in Glasgow.

Monster 7 hour drive in storm Debra or whatever. Got there with time and loaded in, engineer this time had nothing ready and really are into our soundcheck just before doors, sound was off on stage and he ended up blowing the house subs somehow, which meant the headliners had to piece something together to crack on, overall a bit tinny but they managed it. Cool venue, had beers across the road after and headed back to the hotel.

Friday Leeds brudenell club.

Another monster drive aqua plaining sideways down the m73 but all good.

Love a venue with a dedicated car park and good beer. The room was awesome, engineer was great and sound was killer.

Saturday - standalone gig for us in Colchester - Soundhouse at the Bull.

Pretty much a shed outside from the main pub, cool metal place not as cool as being treated to the previous nights stages. No monitors but a small room so we made do, big sound in there and went down well for us headlining and all bands from outta town.

Sunday back to being tour support.

Crap drive through the big smoke to the Dome Tuffnel park. One of the coolest venues yet, nice square room, big donkey stage and good beer. Engineers this time we're militant and awesome, separate main engineer and monitor engineer, made all the difference.

All killer shows, I'm knackered now though.

All week I used my bf 410 and alternated between an Ashdown Hod and an ABM 600.

20200214_172454.jpg

20200214_172501.jpg

20200212_202021.jpg

20200213_211024.jpg

20200212_201740.jpg

20200212_200948.jpg

FB_IMG_1581767699398.jpg

FB_IMG_1581728296304.jpg

FB_IMG_1581889829075.jpg

FB_IMG_1581864319285.jpg

• Like 2

Just got back from tonight's gig. Hell of a long drive - it must have taken nearly a minute to get home from the pub at the end of the village!

Played with my old blues band - great fun, good lively audience, just what we need for a good gig. Seemed to go down well and hopefully will get another date there.

I played my new (to me) Classic 60s Jazz bass (a white one with rounds rather than the sunburst with flats one I've had a few years now) through an Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and Barefaced Super Compact. 

• Like 1

Just got back from a gig - first half didn't got that well, so many little issues, culminating in the fact I didn't plug in my SY1, and the battery died and took the bass out with it.

On the other hand, the second half was like a completely different gig, it worked really well, and our new song, 'in the end' went down a storm.

So came home happy!

• Like 1

First time out for us as a proper band last night. A 'Battle of the Bands'. A biggish venue with a very powerful pa (it belonged to Slipknot when they were starting out...) first time I've ever had a separate sound engineer for monitors. We sound checked first and had the benefit of it with the bassist of another band saying our soundcheck sound was 'outstanding' 🙂

Unfortunately for some other bands it was a bit hit and miss - I think it was those who brought their own guitar amps instead of using the backline. I was lucky, for the last few weeks I've been practising with the huge Fender rig they used - it was still on my settings when I plugged in and no-one changed it all night which made my life very easy!

Numbers were modest, about 200 including the bands, but it was a very enthusiastic crowd who got into all the bands. Last year's winners 'Dark Matter' put on a great show, their singer told me he had decided to pretend it was a 10,000 crowd however many people turned up.

We were on last, and started with Song 2; another band had done this earlier so we decided to just really go for it... it certainly got nearly everyone dancing 🙂 The rest of the song choices went down well, we couldn't have picked a better day to play what ended up as a pop-punk version of I'll Be There! We thought In Bloom might be a bit of a gamble with a largely student audience, but in the end it was probably our standout track because all the Nirvana fans went crazy 🙂 I absolutely drenched the bass with chorus for this one and it sounded absolutely gorgeous where it's just bass and drums (IMHO!)

Then two songs from the end I stood on my power cable and all the lights on my pedal board went out. Quick check it wasn't a pulled out wire so I just swapped the wireless to the amp and turned up the gain bit. After weeks practicing Ace of Spades and learning to play chords with a plectrum my moment of glory and no overdrive... fortunately the adrenaline got me through it and my dread of starting too slow was unrealised! We finished with Club Foot, which always sounded poor whenever we rehearsed it without fuzz on my bass, luckily we'd decided to double the solo on guitar which paid off as I could barely hear myself playing fingerstyle with no compression and no distortion. Somehow we started and finished together although I'm not 100% sure what happened in between!

We didn't finish in the top 3, I'll probably use the age of three of us as an excuse (we were introduced as three old men and their carer 🙂 ) but as far as I'm concerned that was a fantastic night because I know we were tight, several people complemented how good we sounded (including the sound engineer)  and that was probably the most enthusiastic audience reaction I've ever got.

My fourth gig since taking up arms again, but I think I can now say; "I'm back!"

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Nice Mayones 😀

Yeah thanks! I was after a Mayones for a while - Jabba, Viking, Patriot, but none came up on here. I part-exed my 5 string Status with a guy on here who by some freak coincidence happened to have a BE4, so I took a punt on it, and now it's my main bass. I love it!! 

Out with a four piece I put together with drummer, keys, and vocalist from the wreckage of a previous band. 

Only our third gig in this incarnation, but our second at a football club. Bristol City last December, Swindon Town last night. 

It was a 40th birthday and typical of such events some people danced, some didn't. 

I had a great time. The other three are so good at what they do, and such good people, it is a joy to work with them, I have high hopes for this one. 

I had a bass fan in the crowd (chatting to me about my bass while I was playing 🤦🏼‍♂️) always nice when someone notices what we do! 

Every time I use the Bruce Thomas Profile someone in the audience remarks on how good it sounds. I have to agree with them. It's the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odysseus said:

Yeah thanks! I was after a Mayones for a while - Jabba, Viking, Patriot, but none came up on here. I part-exed my 5 string Status with a guy on here who by some freak coincidence happened to have a BE4, so I took a punt on it, and now it's my main bass. I love it!! 

I used to have one of those with EMGs, was a great instrument

Edited by Graham
Autocorrect changed EMGs to Eggs....
  • Like 1

Very good last night and the new guitarist is bedding in well

It was a surprise 60th birthday at a social club, good sound and lots of space on stage and a pretty decent crowd (apart from the drunk idiot who started taking his trousers off just before we started...)

I was r  qeally happy with my tone - the only thing I'm gassing for is new strings and an amp that doesn't need violence to get it to work.

• Like 1

I was at a local open blues jam this afternoon/evening. Played five songs with two different sets of people. All good fun. Played through tonight's house band's bassist's rig - little mark valve 800 into a pair of Super Compacts which sounded fantastic. I had the opportunity of listening to several bass players use the rig, and despite then using a variety of different basses and techniques, it always sounded great. I've never been particularly impressed by Mark Bass amps (use them at the rehearsal studio) but this has quite changed my opinion. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I was at a local open blues jam this afternoon/evening. Played five songs with two different sets of people. All good fun. Played through tonight's house band's bassist's rig - little mark valve 800 into a pair of Super Compacts which sounded fantastic. I had the opportunity of listening to several bass players use the rig, and despite then using a variety of different basses and techniques, it always sounded great. I've never been particularly impressed by Mark Bass amps (use them at the rehearsal studio) but this has quite changed my opinion. 

I played my Jazz thru the Markbass head into my Berg HT322 cab and it sounded big and deep compared to thru the 1x12" Markbass cabs. For me it seems to be their lightweight cabs that were the problem.

Dave

• Like 1

Salty Dog in Northwich last night. I love this venue. We had a bit of a dodgy sound check. I'm on drums and they just mic up the bass drum here. He was just getting loads of boomy feedback. I tried to say in the nicest possible way that it was feeding back, probably due to too much gain, or far too much low end on the system/EQ, but the sound guy looked a bit stressed and I always feel so nervous about treading on toes with sound guys. Anyway, for our 1hr 40m set the only way to make my bass drum heard was to stamp the pedal like it had murdered my cats. My calf is seriously sore this morning. I took a look at the desk after and sure enough the low EQ knob was turned all the way up on channel one, with the fader right down as obviously he couldn't use it due to the feedback caused by the EQ. Very weird

I wish there was a handbook on how to tell the sound guy what to do without pissing him off

It was a great gig anyway, lots of laughter and loads of tunes we don't usually play, ace night 

• Like 1

Jazz East at The Alex in Felixstowe. A band called Q3 which normally features Tiago Coimbra on bass. Tiago has played with Spontaneous and Hiromi’s Explosion Trio. He has studied with Oscar Stagnaro, Anthony Vitti, Bruce Gertz, Matthew Garrison, Abraham Laboriel, Walter Beasley, Ed Tomassi and Kenwood Dennard and works with various bands including the Gavin Harrison and 05Ric Band, soul singer Myles Sanko and Resolution 88. I got one rehearsal in with the band and the gig was fairly together so I got a buzz out of that. it was mostly original material and almost all altered chords - literally no II-V-Is or cycles of fifths to be seen. I just held on for the ride. Got some positive feedback from three bass players in the audience so that was nice too. I asked not to solo as I think the material was too hard for me and I would have screwed it up but they 'forced' me to do one on Michael Brecker's 'Midnight Voyage'. Nobody laughed. I hate it when they laugh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm playing with the acoustic division of Maple Road this afternoon at The Road House in Dundee. 3:00-7:00, yup 4 hours guys.

Blue

FB_IMG_1582043909186.jpg

Well, we had to wait for a darts tournament to end before we could set up, we had a late start.

The place was absolutely packed ,however I can't say they were fully engaged with us. Luckily we have enough hardcore fans to make up for it. 

My biggest problem was DI ing and not using an amp. I couldn't hear myself.

Blue

• Like 2