Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Maths isn't a strong subject for me but I am sure that is still 4 hours?

Your right, I guess my math is really bad. And here I thought I was only working 3 hours tonight. :(

I think it's our acoustic gigs that are 3 hours. 

Somebody has to be playing 3 hour bar gigs. :)

Blue

• Haha 2

Played at a Blues Weekend, for Edinburgh Jazz & Blues festival, last Sat.

The venue was a nice old church but I think they had the impression we were jazzers or something.

They supplied a Markbass 802 for onstage monitoring, which I'm sure would sound lovely in my living room, but couldn't cut it when up against our, hard hitting, drummer.

This is a picture of me and the band. With me playing bass by sense of smell.

Incidentally, the venue videoed the band from out front and livestreamed it on Facebook and the bass sounded great through the PA.

1996740542_band2.jpg.e65f56964d6ee19e771c5db0b92df983.jpg

Edited by gjones
  • Like 4

Nice early return home - back from tonight's gig before eleven. Basically a two-piece gig, with me and the guitarist I used to play with - great to play with hime again. Played the material we knew from the old band and had a good time time, as did the audience, and the landlord who sat in on hand drum for both sets. He was very good - he used to be a drummer and certainly knew how to play. 

Small venue only about 6 miles from home for me, from the comments we'll be doing that again.

I used my trusty Precision (which is the guitarists favourite) through my Rootmaster 800 into Barefaced Super Compact. Good way to spend an evening.

• Like 4

Just driven back thru appalling conditions on the M1 from playing a dep gig with a blues player called Ian Parker and his band at Diseworth Village Hall. Top bunch of people in the band, and a full house despite the weather.

It was also my first gig using the Barefaced Big Twin 2 which certainly shifted some air. Sounded very different from my previous “big cab” (an Aguilar 410) but reassured by a couple of bassists in the audience that it was thumping out front, as it should be.

P bass and thuddy fingerstyle all the way. My work is done. 

EB12EC00-90CD-4CFD-B338-4A04C1F77E3F.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 3

Played a club it Tooting  tonight. Not the best of crowds but it had its moments. Only 30 mins each way for me.

Guitarist moaned  i was too loud in places and it must be my pedal, i pointed out a few times i was going directly in to my amp. Master level was set at sound check and not touched. He on the other had was all over the place volume wise. Always fiddling with his pedal board. He reuses to bring it to rehearsals so he is never prepared. I pointed out that when i sounded loud it was because no one else was playing. When i was quite it was because he was too bloody loud. On stage recording shows this. 

I also had to listen to him and the drummer moaning about how long the journey  was from north london. Bloody cheek as most od our gigs have been in north london, and we rehearse in north London, meaning a 2 hour round trip for me and the singer. 

Getting fed up with bands, and more specifically guitarists who dont have a clue and its all about them. 

Rant over, as you were 🤐

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Played a club it Tooting  tonight. Not the best of crowds but it had its moments. Only 30 mins each way for me.

Guitarist moaned  i was too loud in places and it must be my pedal, i pointed out a few times i was going directly in to my amp. Master level was set at sound check and not touched. He on the other had was all over the place volume wise. Always fiddling with his pedal board. He reuses to bring it to rehearsals so he is never prepared. I pointed out that when i sounded loud it was because no one else was playing. When i was quite it was because he was too bloody loud. On stage recording shows this. 

I also had to listen to him and the drummer moaning about how long the journey  was from north london. Bloody cheek as most od our gigs have been in north london, and we rehearse in north London, meaning a 2 hour round trip for me and the singer. 

Getting fed up with bands, and more specifically guitarists who dont have a clue and its all about them. 

Rant over, as you were 🤐

Drummer and myself live out in the sticks but our singer and guitarist appreciate the fact we have to travel further for everything. Also its down to me and the drummer to load and unload van as he keeps the PA and lighting. Too far to expect others to travel there and back again so we do it. The other guys do most at the venues tho so i guess we're kinda lucky we have a decent bunch in our band.

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Just driven back thru appalling conditions on the M1 from playing a dep gig with a blues player called Ian Parker and his band at Diseworth Village Hall. Top bunch of people in the band, and a full house despite the weather.

It was also my first gig using the Barefaced Big Twin 2 which certainly shifted some air. Sounded very different from my previous “big cab” (an Aguilar 410) but reassured by a couple of bassists in the audience that it was thumping out front, as it should be.

P bass and thuddy fingerstyle all the way. My work is done. 

EB12EC00-90CD-4CFD-B338-4A04C1F77E3F.jpeg

Not sure if its the lighting but that's quite an unusual sunburst. Seems to be more colour round the edges. Liking that.

Dave

48 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not sure if its the lighting but that's quite an unusual sunburst. Seems to be more colour round the edges. Liking that.

Dave

Yeah the bright lighting is contributing a bit but it’s quite an old faded sunburst anyway. Here it is in normal conditions. 

69561158-284C-43D1-8C4E-C52E4932749A.jpeg

• Like 3

At a very nice club in Huddersfield last night. Horrendous driving there and even worse driving back. Expected it to be quiet because of the weather but it was packed and we had dancing from early on in the first spot to the end of the second encore. Clubs like this prove that live music isn’t dead in all of the old established WMC/private members clubs.

Interesting evening!

Fun setting up the small PA, it was very quiet and took  while to realise it was because I had plugged a monitor into the line out, the main PA was off...

Plenty of room but not  huge numbers due to weather, but landlord happy as new people came because of posters and bad weather kept people in all night (you know you are good when people prefer you to a weather bomb...)

As for the actual gig, as expected it was fairly chaotic in terms of strong structure (the other two are more used to busking) so lots of thinking on my feet. For my moment of glory Wherever I lay My Hat where the singer swapped the bridge and verse 🤪 and a few songs had unexpected reprises... some of the 12-bar-ish soul songs did suffer from me struggling to remember which one was which, but at least I was in the right key if not the right song...

Encouraged by some friends of guitarist and family of singer (her mum joined in on a couple of songs too!) we actually had a fair bit of dancing and a good reception. Must have done about 2 1/4 hours or more in the end although it flew past. Finished with an unrehearsed One Love which most of the pub joined in so it was actually really good, if terrifying.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2020 at 08:36, Bluewine said:

Maple Road Live @ Kuhtz’s Pub
Stone Bank Rd, Oconomowoc, WI 53066

Sat, Feb 15 @ 7:30PM — 11:00

FB_IMG_1578007121196.jpg.5210fccda72d0aa93decdfbabbf9d659.jpg

3. 5 hour gig, 7:30-11:00.:)

It was a 50 minute ride. No traffic , we took the back country roads. Very scenic.

I was a little ticked when I couldn't find a parking space. I drove around in circles until one became available.

It was a good gig, good size appreciative crowd. We played a John Prine song that went over really well.

By the way, it was 12°. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1581892357283.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

I had one of my rare outings for my CCR tribute. The singer's constant tuning has been a bugbear for ages and last night he finally seemed to have it under control. We recently replaced the drummer & this was also the most bedded in he has sounded. A pleasant surprise all round, added by the fact that there were enough punters who were able to brave the weather. :)

• Like 2

First outing with band#2. In other circumstances I'd call it a side project but the 'main' band isnt gigging that much either so they are probably on even footing gig wise. A bit of background, I didnt audition for this I was asked by a mate who i was in a jam session house band with if I'd be interested in doing some biker gigs as a vehical for the drummer that was with the Mick Rutherford Band (East Mids blues rock trio) to be able to keep some of MRB's original material alive whilst also doing mainly a covers set. I agreed and we've knocked up a couple of hours worth of material in the last few months.

Tbh musically the drummer is the weak link and I think he knows it but he has the contacts for the biker gigs so we have to keep working with him to get it as good as we can but it will always be a bit of  a compromise. Weve got some small biker club gigs sorted as a test so first one was last night. Considering the weather it wasnt badly attended and they seemed a decent crowd. We did about an hour first set (including a MRB original which wed only played twice in rehearsal) and another 50 min or so to finish at midnight (curfew). Neither me or main vocalist were in great shape recovering from bad colds but thought we made a decent fist of it and some positive feedback after the show. Going back in June but have another gig elsewhere next month.

Very slimmed down rig using just a 250W TC combo (bought from our own seashell) and bass attack tone pedal plus a fishman fission to thicken the sound during gtr solos. All through PA and apparently it sounded good FOH. Using my chinese telecaster with double humbuckers for time being on these gigs to get some thick low end for stuff like ZZ Top numbers.

3TL.jpg

Edited by KevB
  • Like 3

Gig last night at The Cannon in Guildford, played there a few times - normally a good crowd - last night was a bit sparse. Played ok for the most part. The band did get a bit loud, the drummer broke a stick - we were looking at the guitarist - wasn't me gov!

Gig on Friday (different band) was a multi band thing at the Railway in Winchester. We were first on and did 1/2 hour then followed by four other bands. Slightly odd cos we do function band dance, soul, pop etc - not quite sure why we were there - other than hoping for more work. The other bands were young chaps doing noisy stuff - but rather entertaining. We appeared to go down quite well in an environment and audience that were not really there for us. 

5 hours ago, KevB said:

First outing with band#2. In other circumstances I'd call it a side project but the 'main' band isnt gigging that much either so they are probably on even footing gig wise. A bit of background, I didnt audition for this I was asked by a mate who i was in a jam session house band with if I'd be interested in doing some biker gigs as a vehical for the drummer that was with the Mick Rutherford Band (East Mids blues rock trio) to be able to keep some of MRB's original material alive whilst also doing mainly a covers set. I agreed and we've knocked up a couple of hours worth of material in the last few months.

Tbh musically the drummer is the weak link and I think he knows it but he has the contacts for the biker gigs so we have to keep working with him to get it as good as we can but it will always be a bit of  a compromise. Weve got some small biker club gigs sorted as a test so first one was last night. Considering the weather it wasnt badly attended and they seemed a decent crowd. We did about an hour first set (including a MRB original which wed only played twice in rehearsal) and another 50 min or so to finish at midnight (curfew). Neither me or main vocalist were in great shape recovering from bad colds but thought we made a decent fist of it and some positive feedback after the show. Going back in June but have another gig elsewhere next month.

Very slimmed down rig using just a 250W TC combo (bought from our own seashell) and bass attack tone pedal plus a fishman fission to thicken the sound during gtr solos. All through PA and apparently it sounded good FOH. Using my chinese telecaster with double humbuckers for time being on these gigs to get some thick low end for stuff like ZZ Top numbers.

3TL.jpg

Is that P vintage or reissue?

Blue

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Is that P vintage or reissue?

Blue

It's a reissue, from Fender's Chinese factory. Telecaster modern player. Picked it up second hand from basschat a couple of years ago after two separate people approached me about potential blues rock oriented projects. Neither came to fruition and as my 'main' band uses drop tuning (I use my USA P and J basses for that) I thought I'd use this one in the blues rock trio so I could avoid detuning and retuning basses all the time for gigs and rehearsals. Here's a demo of the reissue at GAK :

Edited by KevB

On 16/02/2020 at 02:04, dave_bass5 said:

Rant over, as you were 🤐

funny how guitarists are very quick to blame bass players for volume issues when they are making a mess of things...been there

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

funny how guitarists are very quick to blame bass players for volume issues when they are making a mess of things...been there

I recorded the gig, and his first comment was. 'sounds like a very amateur guitarist playing all over it' So at least he acknowledges it, its just the 'superior' manner he tends to use that winds me up. 'Oh, we dont need to go over those songs, we know them...etc etc'. Well no, actually, i do but you obviously dont.

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I recorded the gig, and his first comment was. 'sounds like a very amateur guitarist playing all over it' So at least he acknowledges it, its just the 'superior' manner he tends to use that winds me up. 'Oh, we dont need to go over those songs, we know them...etc etc'. Well no, actually, i do but you obviously dont.

I've had a bit of that recently. Gtr/vox at recent rehearsal when not well (neither was I but I still showed up) 'I wouldnt have come out but I wanted you to be comfortable about the songs' when I've spent the last 3 or 4 rehearsals continually pulling both gtr and drummer up when they havent got the song structure right.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KevB said:

I've had a bit of that recently. Gtr/vox at recent rehearsal when not well (neither was I but I still showed up) 'I wouldnt have come out but I wanted you to be comfortable about the songs' when I've spent the last 3 or 4 rehearsals continually pulling both gtr and drummer up when they havent got the song structure right.

Ive just pulled my guitarist up about a few of the songs, and he suggested we have a rehearsal or two to sort out the songs that aren't working. Now seeing as we  reherase almost every week, what are we supposed to be doing at those. I hate it when other band members dont bother doing enough (or any) private practice and get things sorted before coming along. I spend a lot of time at home doing just that.

• Like 1