Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Katie Fitzgerald's in Stourbridge on Saturday night. The stage is cramped but I don't care because the drums and bass sound so f*cking brilliant in that room. It could be something to do with the hollow wooden stage and curved stone ceiling? I've forgotten most of what I learned about acoustics at uni. Anyway, we played 24 songs and I was totally knackered afterwards - ace gig!

• Like 1

Having spent two and a half years recording an album with my good friend Rich, we decided to take some songs out for a road test at the local open mic. A rip roaring success. Richard Davies & the Dissidents go live this year. An indie deal is about to be signed for the record and proper live dates to follow. Loving this phone snap.

1071816795_DissidentDuo.jpg.1cf22a3a620defd8ecca314b7f92379a.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Having spent two and a half years recording an album with my good friend Rich, we decided to take some songs out for a road test at the local open mic. A rip roaring success. Richard Davies & the Dissidents go live this year. An indie deal is about to be signed for the record and proper live dates to follow. Loving this phone snap.

1071816795_DissidentDuo.jpg.1cf22a3a620defd8ecca314b7f92379a.jpg

Is that the Richard Davies of Supertramp fame ?

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why are gigs so long in the US?

In the UK, two 45-minue sets plus few encores is normal.

Most of the ggis I have done recently they expect 2x 1hr.  Last night's gig was The Bull, in Colchester and they like 9:30pm to 12:30am covered.  It was a poor turnout, mind you, so we finished a little early.

Then the bloody A12 was closed south at Mark's Tey with a diversion along the A120 to Braintree.  20 minutes out of my way.  25 mins if you add the 5 mins waiting at temporary lights at roadworks along the A131, waiting for no one to come the the way.

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that wedding / function band ?

Nope, just a covers band in pubs. we have now (after much whinging) managed to get down to doing sub 3 hours, so 3 hours with a 15 minute break or something, but the guitarist and singer are convinced people want 3 hour gigs (actually only one venue wants that). Normally do 9 - 12 (but often go over that).

Edited by Woodinblack

21 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think that America is generally more like the European mainland, where you are more likely to be playing bars in bigger city centres where there isn't the expectation that the audience will watch the whole set and your job is to try and keep punters to stay for an extra couple of drinks before they go elsewhere. Pub gigs in the UK tend to be more out in the suburbs, where punters go to see meet their mates and hopefully stay for for the whole show (or a set at least). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Nope, just a covers band in pubs. we have now (after much whinging) managed to get down to doing sub 3 hours, so 3 hours with a 15 minute break or something, but the guitarist and singer are convinced people want 3 hour gigs (actually only one venue wants that). Normally do 9 - 12 (but often go over that).

That is quite unusual for the UK in my experience. Generally, I've found that UK punters want to watch a band, have a decent break to chat to mates then more music up to last orders

7 minutes ago, peteb said:

That is quite unusual for the UK in my experience. Generally, I've found that UK punters want to watch a band, have a decent break to chat to mates then more music up to last orders

Generally what I feel, but that is how things are - except the one where they insist on 3 hours, that is outdoors in a beer garden so people can move away to chat.

Flat night, stormy weather keeping a few at home I guess. Band leader decided bass and drums are too loud (based on unsolicited opinions of random drunks from previous gigs) so myself and drummer play so quietly that I'm not sure the audience even realised there was a band there. 

A gigs a gig and I'll play for anyone who'll pay me, but honestly it is nice to be able to hear yourself. 

Gawd only knows what the crowd listened to. Distorted vocals and self indulgent noise widdly diddly. Poor barstewards

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Thats what we have planned for us tonight at a social club. That, the bingo, and a game of Match the Balls 😳

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Typically we quote two 1hr sets and we always go over unless specifically asked not to by the venue. 

In total we will probably do around 2hrs and 15-20mins especially if the audience are having a good time.

To go out knowing i had a 3hr set would be soul destroying. For me that's half a shift at work with no lunch breaks :laugh1:

Dave

Our band’s first gig for 18 months bar a short support show last October.

Our singer has been very ill, so it was amazing to see her fully recovered and really bossing the crowd. The outpouring of goodwill was amazing to witness; sometimes music can do that.

Only disappointment was the drummer, who clearly missed his kit so much during the hiatus that he bashed the hell out of it at every opportunity. Numbers were done 20 per cent faster than they should. This really impacted on my bass parts, making me wish I had not bothered with the fretless. Fortunately my attempt at recording didn’t work so my fumblings will hopefully be forgotten. 

Sorry to vent, but I really can’t say anything without spoiling the singer’s moment - and she deserves it. Play each gig as if it were your last...

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Play each gig as if it were your last...

I've got my third gig since taking the cudgel up again tonight. I think it's going to be mostly made up on the spot and I'm convinced we will end up doing some songs I've never rehearsed, played or even heard before. At least it's making me look forward to next saturday with the main band, when we do a battle of the bands and and we are rehearsed to the point where I could play the set blindfolded.

Hopefully I will be able to report back. Otherwise:

Morituri te salutant...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Bar gigs in the States for the most part are 4 hours. 8-12 or 9-1.

I'm not sure why, however recently we've been pushing 3 hours. For example tonight we're playing a 7-11 bar gig. Same pay but we knock off an hour..

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Bar gigs in the States for the most part are 4 hours. 8-12 or 9-1.

I'm not sure why, however recently we've been pushing 3 hours. For example tonight we're playing a 7-11 bar gig. Same pay but we knock off an hour..

Blue

Maths isn't a strong subject for me but I am sure that is still 4 hours?

4 hours ago, peteb said:

I think that America is generally more like the European mainland, where you are more likely to be playing bars in bigger city centres where there isn't the expectation that the audience will watch the whole set and your job is to try and keep punters to stay for an extra couple of drinks before they go elsewhere. Pub gigs in the UK tend to be more out in the suburbs, where punters go to see meet their mates and hopefully stay for for the whole show (or a set at least). 

Hi Pete,

My band is slowly moving away from the 4 hour bar gig format.  Were pitching 3 hours for the sane money and were having a lot of success.

When fair and festival season starts in June we'll be playing mostly hour to hour and a half shows.

Blue

• Like 1