Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Gigged with a Brazilian singer guitarist called Mario Bakuna today. I know Brazilian music but he ripped me a new one 😄

8 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Did one with a Brazilian singer guitarist last night. Got my Latin derrière kicked. His syncopated guitar playing was a revelation and, while I know Brazilian grooves, I struggled to keep up. A real buzz in spite of the clinkers!

Two sets? 🙂

Last night was the third in a series of gigs we've been booked to play at the Fiddler's Elbow in Camden. Lovely to see the place full of Deadheads, and we put on a good show. 

Played as a full six piece for the first time in several months, which felt good. As always, a new set for every gig, this one included the classic 'Live Dead' package of Dark Star, St Stephen, the Eleven and Lovelight back to back.

All packed and ready to leave by about half twelve, home by two, but the drive home was into increasingly rough weather. Woke up this morning to a power cut that has just ended after five hours.

My gear last night was my Ashdown Rootmaster 800 into my Barefaced Super Compact, mic'd into the PA. I played my new Sandberg Panther (first proper gig) and it behaved perfectly, quite a few comments (favourable!) on its looks and sound. 

Next one with the Dudes is the same venue on the Saturday of Easter weekend. I've got a couple of things lined up with other people before that though.

• Like 2

Dep gig on guitar with a punk/ska/rockabilly covers outfit in a city-centre pub. When I arrived at the agreed time, there wan't even room to jam my amp between the drum kit and the main door  so the drummer had to move over a few inches. There was so little room in front that I soon gave up on setting up a mic for BVs, or even using a guitar stand, but not before I trapped my RH pinky in it, causing a bleed that (in the absence of plasters) I was obliged to stem with gaffer tape. There was no room for my pedal board but I didn't think I could live without slapback echo, so  I pulled my delay off my board and installed a battery (which involved unscrewing the base) and stuck it on top of my amp. Then I found my clip-on tuner had a dead battery, so I had to replace that - fortunately I had a spare.

By then it was kickoff time, and as we launched into the first number, I realised I was standing right in front of one PA speaker. The vocals were at apocalyptic volume (as was the double bass - visible speaker cone movement anyone?), so I moved to one side, ending up with one foot just in front of the flightcase that had my amp on it, and the other resting against the front of the bass drum. The volume there was just about tolerable through my earplugs, but anyone coming through the door still had to squeeze between me and the folks leaning on the bar.

I hadn't had a rehearsal with the band (although I had watched YouTube clips and seen their gig the previous week), and the band plays everything very fast, so what with all the other factors, I can't say I gave a particularly slick performance. The crowd loved it though.

I realise it's possible be too precious about 'your' sound, but this venue was a bridge too far in terms of the number of challenges to playing well. I'd probably dep with the band again, but not in that pub.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Dep gig on guitar with a punk/ska/rockabilly covers outfit in a city-centre pub. When I arrived at the agreed time, there wan't even room to jam my amp between the drum kit and the main door  so the drummer had to move over a few inches. There was so little room in front that I soon gave up on setting up a mic for BVs, or even using a guitar stand, but not before I trapped my RH pinky in it, causing a bleed that (in the absence of plasters) I was obliged to stem with gaffer tape. There was no room for my pedal board but I didn't think I could live without slapback echo, so  I pulled my delay off my board and installed a battery (which involved unscrewing the base) and stuck it on top of my amp. Then I found my clip-on tuner had a dead battery, so I had to replace that - fortunately I had a spare.

By then it was kickoff time, and as we launched into the first number, I realised I was standing right in front of one PA speaker. The vocals were at apocalyptic volume (as was the double bass - visible speaker cone movement anyone?), so I moved to one side, ending up with one foot just in front of the flightcase that had my amp on it, and the other resting against the front of the bass drum. The volume there was just about tolerable through my earplugs, but anyone coming through the door still had to squeeze between me and the folks leaning on the bar.

I hadn't had a rehearsal with the band (although I had watched YouTube clips and seen their gig the previous week), and the band plays everything very fast, so what with all the other factors, I can't say I gave a particularly slick performance. The crowd loved it though.

I realise it's possible be too precious about 'your' sound, but this venue was a bridge too far in terms of the number of challenges to playing well. I'd probably dep with the band again, but not in that pub.

Which pub was it? I've played quite a few central Swindon pubs and that could be just about any of them!

44 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Which pub was it? I've played quite a few central Swindon pubs and that could be just about any of them!

Not in Swindon! The Horn in Reading. Without doubt the most cramped playing conditions I have ever encountered.

Edited by JapanAxe

We once played in one of the high walkways over Tower bridge. It was so cramped we had to pile all the amps on top of each other in front of the drummer, and put the desk on the floor behind him. This was to allow the catering staff to get past us and take the food down to the other end of the bridge, where all the guests were. There was also a DJ there, who set up in front of us. The most pointless  gig ive ever done, and the worst for getting in and out, as you cant park on the bridge. The guitarist stood on the other side of the walkway. He looked like he wasn’t part of the band. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Not in Swindon! The Horn in Reading. Without doubt the most cramped playing conditions I have ever encountered.

I refuse to play Reading after problems parking and simply getting to the venues. More than once I have been there with bands who have been fined more than they've earned!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

I refuse to play Reading after problems parking and simply getting to the venues. More than once I have been there with bands who have been fined more than they've earned!

When I arrived the drummer's van was parked in the marked loading bay outside so at his suggestion I parked next to it and loaded in. Only when I went to load out did I realise that he must have moved it while I was setting up, so I had been there 3 hours on the assumption it would be OK. There was no ticket on my windscreen, but if they work on cameras, I am screwed. There are all-night multi-storeys a couple of minutes' walk away, but tbh I didn't want to leave my kit unattended. Just gotta hope nothing nasty arrives in the post!

51 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

We once played in one of the high walkways over Tower bridge. It was so cramped we had to pile all the amps on top of each other in front of the drummer, and put the desk on the floor behind him. This was to allow the catering staff to get past us and take the food down to the other end of the bridge, where all the guests were. There was also a DJ there, who set up in front of us. The most pointless  gig ive ever done, and the worst for getting in and out, as you cant park on the bridge. The guitarist stood on the other side of the walkway. He looked like he wasn’t part of the band. 

Any pics of that would make for interesting viewing......from an audience point of view that is.

Dave

Just found this. didnt know i had it. 

Worse part of the gig was having to walk  the gear on to the bridge, and then fight with the caterers etc to get gear up in a lift that you cant call with a button, but have to phone someone to bring it down to ready level. 

D5FE578A-124A-494E-AA67-6EE1E67B9022.thumb.jpeg.c05b129a4365b9be131a9a38cb0ec80a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just found this. didnt know i had it. 

Worse part of the gig was having to walk  the gear on to the bridge, and then fight with the caterers etc to get gear up in a lift that you cant call with a button, but have to phone someone to bring it down to ready level. 

D5FE578A-124A-494E-AA67-6EE1E67B9022.thumb.jpeg.c05b129a4365b9be131a9a38cb0ec80a.jpeg

All sounds a bit of a nightmare but it must have been a pretty cool gig to play even if just a one off. How many bands can say they played there.

I feel a new topic coming along "strangest venue you've ever played" :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

All sounds a bit of a nightmare but it must have been a pretty cool gig to play even if just a one off. How many bands can say they played there.

I feel a new topic coming along "strangest venue you've ever played" :laugh1:

Dave

Yeah, its was a crappy gig, but it was great getting up there without paying, and the guests were cool. I really cant remember the playing bit, other than  one of the waitresses kept turning one of the PA speakers around because it was too loud for her each time she walked past it. She kept turning it so it faced the singer, causing feedback every time. Guess it wasn’t only the band having a crappy night lol.

Looks good on the CV though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Last night was the third in a series of gigs we've been booked to play at the Fiddler's Elbow in Camden. Lovely to see the place full of Deadheads, and we put on a good show. 

Friend of mine was there. Said you put on a superb show. 

• Thanks 1