Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Hi Roger!

The gig was at the Old Road Tavern in Chippenham. I expect we'll be back there at some point.

Our next gig is a ticketed show at the Old Court (Arts Centre) in Windsor on 7th March. We have a couple of private parties, then the Rifle Club in Portsmouth with Kingz of Leon on 11th July.

We are also looking at staging a special event somewhere in the Swindon/Bath/Bristol area - if that comes off I'll definitely post details on BC.

In the meantime, here's a clip from our last visit to Windsor:

Sounds really nice.

Blue

Great gig atThe 024 in Grafton.

Really cool restored room in an old mill from the 1800s.

The acoustic branch of Maple Road open for an open mic.  All I bring is my bass, I DI into our PA. We play 4 songs and the open mic begins.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

First gig since back end of December and only managed one rehearsal between that and last night. It was always going to be rough round the edges and only second gig with new lad on drums who cocked a couple of songs up.

I wasnt blameless either but what was memorable was that halfway through the encore my bass rig decided to go suicidal. I'm not sure how it happened.

I have a gramma pad, the 2x10 sits on that (as it has largest footprint) then the TE 1x15 combo on top of that and then I end up with the Roland JV unit for the midi pedals sat on top of that. For the first time ever somehow the 2x10 managed to work its way off the front of the gramma pad and tipped forward, taking the TE combo and JV unit into my thighs and lower back. No cables or power leads came out so it all kept working, except now my 2x10 is face down on the stage and the combo is somewhere awkward being propped up by me backing into it whilst still playing.

The drummers dad was there and he got the TE combo at least facing the right way round. I missed so few notes that the rest of the band were blissfully unaware what was going on. I guess doing a certain amount of gigging means you dont panic easily. Everything kept working and we even did a 2nd encore with it littering the stage behind me, dont think the punters noticed at all. No damage as far as I could see when packing away, its oldschool heavy gear and built to last.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KevB said:

First gig since back end of December and only managed one rehearsal between that and last night. It was always going to be rough round the edges and only second gig with new lad on drums who cocked a couple of songs up.

I wasnt blameless either but what was memorable was that halfway through the encore my bass rig decided to go suicidal. I'm not sure how it happened.

I have a gramma pad, the 2x10 sits on that (as it has largest footprint) then the TE 1x15 combo on top of that and then I end up with the Roland JV unit for the midi pedals sat on top of that. For the first time ever somehow the 2x10 managed to work its way off the front of the gramma pad and tipped forward, taking the TE combo and JV unit into my thighs and lower back. No cables or power leads came out so it all kept working, except now my 2x10 is face down on the stage and the combo is somewhere awkward being propped up by me backing into it whilst still playing.

The drummers dad was there and he got the TE combo at least facing the right way round. I missed so few notes that the rest of the band were blissfully unaware what was going on. I guess doing a certain amount of gigging means you dont panic easily. Everything kept working and we even did a 2nd encore with it littering the stage behind me, dont think the punters noticed at all. No damage as far as I could see when packing away, its oldschool heavy gear and built to last.

Excellent job there Kev.:)

Back out treading the boards last night (yes, we actually had a stage!).  It's been a month since our last gig on New Year's eve so a few amnesia-induced fumbles were expected - and duly delivered.  At least I wasn't the only culprit.  Good gig though with a decent venue on the water's edge and a good crowd who were more than up for it.  Come half-time, the stunning young lady who's been dancing energetically in front of the stage unexpectedly sidles up for a chat.  "That bass is beautiful and I love your sound!  I'm a bass player myself - a bad one though.  I really LOVE the bass - tonight I'm here just for you."  This is the point where back in the day I would have thought my luck had surely changed, but last night a quick reality check reminded me that a) she had been dancing with her boyfriend and b) I was old enough to be her grandad (and may even be 😉).  However, this mattered not one jot, and the spring I have in my step today will be with me for some time.  OK, the three encores were a factor too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, steantval said:

What time is bingo ?

At one of these clubs we were stopped mid set so they could read out the winners of the meat raffle. Apparently the guy that does this wanted to go home early, so 20mins  in to our second set they asked us to stop for 10mins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

At one of these clubs we were stopped mid set so they could read out the winners of the meat raffle. Apparently the guy that does this wanted to go home early, so 20mins  in to our second set they asked us to stop for 10mins. 

We have had that. But luckily they do it at the interval.

4 hours ago, steantval said:

Just spotted the dreaded Mustang Sally on your set list ☹️

I am more concerned that the player decided that "Sweet Child O Mine " is by "Roses Guns N". Missing the appstrophes out and swapping the name round, either would drive me mad. 

Edited by Richard R
Typo, what else?

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

We have had that. But luckily they do it at the interval.

Yeah, that’s normally the main act, we are just the support lol. 

funny story. We used to play one in Slough on a Sunday eve. That was big bingo night where everyone turns their phones off and its  quite an intense atmosphere. Dead silent. One night we sent the guitarist to the bar. One his way back with 3 pints of lager, he just gets on the dance floor and  i called his mobile. He had the loudest Crazy Frog ring tone ive ever heard. No where to put the drinks down, and no way of answering  his phone. Took us at least 5mins to stop laughing. The crowd were not amused. 

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

...That was big bingo night where everyone turns their phones off and its  quite an intense atmosphere. Dead silent. One night we sent the guitarist to the bar. One his way back with 3 pints of lager, he just gets on the dance floor and  i called his mobile. He had the loudest Crazy Frog ring tone ive ever heard. No where to put the drinks down, and no way of answering  his phone. Took us at least 5mins to stop laughing. The crowd were not amused. 

So the audience does sometimes notice?

😁

Three short sets at the local open mic with my old school R&B / 60s Garage band The Jimmy Sixes. My weakest band but always loads of fun & last night we were absolutely on it. Dusted down my Ric 4003s which sounded great through the house rig which was a tiny Mark Bass combo. 

MeFeb2020.jpg.a1f7970c915461f058227950169fb69d.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Richard R said:

I am more concerned that the player decided that "Sweet Child O Mine " is by "Roses Guns N". Missing the appstrophes out and swapping the name round, either would drive me mad. 

That's because it's an ex-MOD "List, Set - Musician Mk IVb"

• Like 1