Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I played in central Oxford last night (the Wheatsheaf) with a local Grateful Dead covers band that asked me to dep as their regular bassist was away. A fun evening playing music I know and love without the pressure of satisfying 100+ eager DeadHeads.

It was a monthly event with three bands, the other two were originals and very good, we were the exception and people were decent enough to stay and listen to a bunch of old blokes playing old music. 

I played my active MiM Jazz bass through the main band's bassist's rig, a small but powerful MarkBass head and an Vanderkley (??) cab - loud and punchy sound, quite impressive.

• Like 1

We did our first gig of the new decade last night in our hometown of Hull. It’s always a bit of pressure on everyone after the December lay off, in front of some 1200 people who have followed us since we started out over 12 years ago. To add to this it was the first big gig with our new keyboard player too, so everyone very wired as we went on. Needn’t have worried though, despite a few ‘moments’ we managed to do pretty well, and the audience were so up for it and supportive which made it fly by. We had the PA stacks positioned differently from previous years, which meant there was more sound leaking on stage so I had to turn my amp up a bit more than usual. Made me realise that it’s always handy to have that extra headroom available. My GK 1001 / Neo 410 still didn’t break into a sweat though, so happy days. 

• Like 5

On 22/12/2019 at 10:58, stewblack said:

Bloke who sold it told me it was made by Chowny but I suspect its a standard AliExpress 4005. 

I've heard all the horror stories but the neck is straight, finish is great, pickups a little weak maybe but sounded fine to me last night. 

I can categorically deny that we made it. :) We've only ever made our own designs.

• Like 1

Played at the Hop Poles in Enfield on Sat.

We are only really just getting going as far as playing live goes, so we are quite loose still. Stage is boomy and room very live. Had a great time though. First time with my Berg Cab, and i cant believe how loud i was. A bit too loud i think. Bass was nice and full sounding though. and its taken me about a year to find a tone I'm really happy with. Still a slight niggle about what amp i should use. This was the second outing for my Fender head, but i want to try my GM MB800 at the next gig. I feel the GK might have a bit more punch and have a less traditional tone, but i am really happy with the Fender. 

Past 3 gig's have been with a Fearless F112 and while i know its a a fantastic cab, its just not been working for me. The Berg on the other hand is almost perfect. Not as extended at the low end (better for these wooden stages), but a more even output acorss the full range without needing EQ fixes. Nice to be back with a 2x12. 

Singer was also using IEM's for the first time, and had a few issues with them cutting out. Because she used them the monitor on stage was very low, so it was hard to hear when she was going wrong. 

45DEDB2B-764E-470A-BEBD-1527862B5A4E.thumb.jpeg.ba53b65587626a7ec22ffc7b94c293c6.jpeg

Edited by dave_bass5

16 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Singer was also using IEM's for the first time, and had a few issues with them cutting out. Because she used them the monitor on stage was very low, so it was hard to hear when she was going wrong. 

What radio is she using?

And why did you turn the stage monitor down? With the isolation on her IEMs, it shouldn't make that much difference to her (although there will be some bleed I'm sure as she's not using customs).

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Meant to post this a little while back, but forgot. We did a charity gig in St. Nicholas Cathedral in Newcastle, and were joined by a choir for a few tunes. Obviously the acoustics are astonishing (and challenging), and it was gorgeous.

I saw you lurking over his shoulder! Awesome venue for a gig.

45 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

What radio is she using?

And why did you turn the stage monitor down? With the isolation on her IEMs, it shouldn't make that much difference to her (although there will be some bleed I'm sure as she's not using customs).

Just a cheap G4M Sub-Zero UHF system. We completely lost the signal to the receiver when sound checking, so we set the monitor up. There was a lot of feedback from the mics so we turned the monitor down once we got the IEM working again. No idea what was causing the cut out. Channels were set correctly, no errors or warning on either device. Just nothing in the ears. Re stared it all and it worked fine until later , when it cuts out again. I wasnt really paying much attention to what she was doing, i was setting other things up. We normally have the monitor quite loud, but because of the feedback we had to keep it low. Im sure that part of it will be a one off, but its a bit worrying about the IEM's cutting out. Could be a bad cable etc, but on the night i couldn't terse it out. 

42 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just a cheap G4M Sub-Zero UHF system. We completely lost the signal to the receiver when sound checking, so we set the monitor up. There was a lot of feedback from the mics so we turned the monitor down once we got the IEM working again. No idea what was causing the cut out. Channels were set correctly, no errors or warning on either device. Just nothing in the ears. Re stared it all and it worked fine until later , when it cuts out again. I wasnt really paying much attention to what she was doing, i was setting other things up. We normally have the monitor quite loud, but because of the feedback we had to keep it low. Im sure that part of it will be a one off, but its a bit worrying about the IEM's cutting out. Could be a bad cable etc, but on the night i couldn't terse it out. 

Have you got any other wireless devices happening? Ones in the 863-865Mhz region specifically (assuming your IEM system is ch70). Also - any radio at the venue? DJ?

Does the singer absolutely HAVE to be wireless?

19 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Have you got any other wireless devices happening? Ones in the 863-865Mhz region specifically (assuming your IEM system is ch70). Also - any radio at the venue? DJ?

Does the singer absolutely HAVE to be wireless?

Both me and the guitarist are wireless. We (she) didnt try any other channels. These things are something ill make sure she looks in to before the next gig. We have had a rehearsal with them and they worked perfectly. That was at a busy studio complex that gives me issues with my Boss WL20 system.

It's not a case of HAVE, its more WANT. 

Friday night in Lewes and the local paper said "I haven’t come across Last Great Dreamers before, but I like them straight away. Visually they are striking, looking like a Clockwork Orange droog gang who have stumbled across boho chic. Musically they get straight to the point with superbly catchy glam tinged pop punk, stacked with killer riffs and lush vocal harmonies. The songs are immediately engaging, and on stage every band member is really going for it, and you can’t ask much more than that."

Lewes.thumb.jpg.69e0c8396c55ac821dd6e74dde639de5.jpg

and then Saturday night was the 100 Club, which was my favourite gig of the decade (although the decade is but 12 days old!)

SMYE7222.JPG.81c3b058bb424a7ba57db92eafd5c0db.JPG

• Like 6

A pretty standard mid January pub gig.

Quiet-ish. About 30 or so folk in a reasonably large room, all visibly enjoying themselves/singing along etc but not enough critical mass to get any proper dancing started.

Until 11.45, when the doors opened and about another 30-40 people arrived and headed straight for the dancefloor.

Turns out the original crowd had all been texting their mates telling them to come down as they were really enjoying the set! So we gave them a couple of extra tunes then left them wanting more. Think we need to start at about 11.30 next time we play there.

Kit wise, my new sennheiser IEMs (courtesy of @knicknack) were a big improvement on my old LD unit.  It was also the first outing for the new RCF 702 sub, upgraded from an Alto TS 115a.  Noticably tighter and with more physical presence, especially with music form the iPad between sets. Actually got a bit of 'I can feel that' type bass that the Alto never produced. Plus it's 2/3 of the size and weight, which is the biggest positive for me as I've got to lug the thing around.

Edited by colleya
Added gear geekery

21 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Friday night in Lewes and the local paper said "I haven’t come across Last Great Dreamers before, but I like them straight away. Visually they are striking, looking like a Clockwork Orange droog gang who have stumbled across boho chic. Musically they get straight to the point with superbly catchy glam tinged pop punk, stacked with killer riffs and lush vocal harmonies. The songs are immediately engaging, and on stage every band member is really going for it, and you can’t ask much more than that."

Lewes.thumb.jpg.69e0c8396c55ac821dd6e74dde639de5.jpg

and then Saturday night was the 100 Club, which was my favourite gig of the decade (although the decade is but 12 days old!)

SMYE7222.JPG.81c3b058bb424a7ba57db92eafd5c0db.JPG

"Clockwork Orange", hope everyone gets the reference. That movie must be 50 years old at least.

Blue

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

"Clockwork Orange", hope everyone gets the reference. That movie must be 50 years old at least.

Blue

I'm coming up 47 in a few weeks but yeah, missed it first time around but saw the film over 20yrs ago. Most of my tastes in art, music and film are older than my years, so yeah, I was happy with the comparison.

• Like 1

Just got home from a splendid evening with my Bowie tribute band. The venue was a pub with a dedicated concert room at the side, with house PA and sound man.

Just before we went on there were about 6 non-band people in the room, but once we took to the stage the place filled to capacity. We played 2 hours 20 minutes straight through, no breaks, and the time just flew by.

For once I was standing well forward of my rig (Demeter into Super Twin), and both basses (AVRI Precision and Dingwall PZ5) sounded glorious. Mrs Axe commented afterwards that the bass came through loud and clear.

Happy moments like this make life good!

• Like 5

Just got home from a splendid gig too. Not normally that busy but absolutely heaving by the end. A short one for us at just over 2 hours. I finally get to use my basschat cab now I have got a cover for it and it is magnificent. Strangely I have to turn down a bit, I assumed I would have to turn up, as it is 1 8r 1x12 and I normally play into 2 8r 1x12, but seems really loud. Very clear though.

Great night.

• Like 2

We did the BlondiPop gi:g in our hometown last night. 8-11

Cool local place that does a good job with local music.

Very nice local " well to do" crowd. Mix of youngsters and oldsters.

I didn't think we were as " on" as we were at the previous 3 gigs. I thought we were kind of sloppy. I certainly made my share of mistakes.FB_IMG_1578007070333.thumb.jpg.94d02130f99ebb36b0daca3fa8d35cb8.jpg

Blue

FB_IMG_1579320332026.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Really good turnout (surprisingly) as I thought it would be empty. Had the Ampeg on 2(!) as its just too much overkill for pubs TBH, shame, but its never had a chance to really open up. I may have to move it on soon as everything goes FOH these days ;(

Nice Job!

Blue

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We did the BlondiPop gi:g in our hometown last night. 8-11

Cool local place that does a good job with local music.

Very nice local " well to do" crowd. Mix of youngsters and oldsters.

I didn't think we were as " on" as we were at the previous 3 gigs. I thought we were kind of sloppy. I certainly made my share of mistakes.FB_IMG_1578007070333.thumb.jpg.94d02130f99ebb36b0daca3fa8d35cb8.jpg

Blue

FB_IMG_1579320332026.jpg

Looking very "dapper" there Blue. Must have been a posh gig with you wearing a shirt. :lol: