Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Terrible reheaesal on Monday for a big service on Sunday. Very, very, stressful, still wound up yesterday. A friend sent me this to cheer me up. Hope it makes some of you smile too.

Turns out it was a nicely done wind up (I did smile when the singer wiped away a tear, then gently tapped his elbow and tried to shush him - and the look from the keyboard player. This is what he really sounds like...

Repeat booking yesterday - 3rd year in a row and bonus was a very talented mate agreed to do some solos for the Christmas songs - on his flute. Sounds strange but worked a great in rehearsal. So cue the first big solo and out guitarist/ vocalist announces him, we all turn to look at him and he isn’t there! He is in the crowd chatting to someone. He is always a bit random so we are used to it but we took the mick mercilessly. 100+ up dancing the whole time so all was good, asked back for next year.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 4

Despite my current wrist problems and our drummer forgetting to pack his cymbals yesterday! resulting in driving off to get them, we had a brilliant gig. I managed to get through it due to having been prescribed some fairly eyebrow raising drugs but played like an absolute knob with my hand over the top of the neck for many of the numbers. Our guitarist took the booking for an Xmas party. We assumed it was a company thing. Turned out to be a home for the intellectually disabled, in a room no bigger than my lounge. One P.A. top was all it needed😂

Our technical performance was lac-luster to say the least, (totally down to my current health issues) but I don't think I've ever played to a more appreciative and enthusiastic audience and our singer bless her, really engaged with the crowd and whipped them up into quite a frenzy at times.  It felt really good to know that we'd actually (according to the home director) made a  difference to their lives albeit for one evening. 

We felt quite bad afterwards taking the arranged fee so we've decided to approach them to maybe do a free gig just for the fun of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Slightly better than expected considering it was a fill in gig that we weren't originally planning to do. New drummer only got 2 rehearsals in with us prior to gig so one or two songs a bit rough round the edges. Not a big turnout which from experience as a punter at that pub on previous Fridays is completely normal, Saturday is their big night. Those that were there gave good feedback and the venue want us back in April so job done.

• Like 2

Despite fearing the worst all day - one band member is notorious for leaving sarcastic messages regarding sound etc - last night's gig was an absolute belter from the word go.  A really good crowd that ebbed flowed through the night but a solid core of die-hard rock fans remained throughout and grew steadily.

Punters dancing on tables, beer everywhere, near disasters with beer, monitors and people falling over - just what a rock pub gig should be!  Got home with a massive grin on my face and looking forward to doing it all again this Friday

• Like 6

One of my favourite places to play last night. No stage, no lighting, squashed in a corner by the door to the toilets, in a pub supposedly in a very rough part of town . But you know what? The people are just great. No pretensions, always welcoming and up for a good time. 

Sure they will join in on the mic at unexpected moments (a small child even joined in on the keys at one point) and yell at you for their favourite songs irrespective of your planned set list. But if you roll with it, you can have a brilliant night.

Compulsory rig shot.. IMG_20191221_204036.thumb.jpg.f4b5331ee72d542e7509f362479fd2d4.jpg

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, stewblack said:

One of my favourite places to play last night. No stage, no lighting, squashed in a corner by the door to the toilets, in a pub supposedly in a very rough part of town . But you know what? The people are just great. No pretensions, always welcoming and up for a good time. 

Sure they will join in on the mic at unexpected moments (a small child even joined in on the keys at one point) and yell at you for their favourite songs irrespective of your planned set list. But if you roll with it, you can have a brilliant night.

Compulsory rig shot.. IMG_20191221_204036.thumb.jpg.f4b5331ee72d542e7509f362479fd2d4.jpg

What Ric is it ?

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What Ric is it ?

Bloke who sold it told me it was made by Chowny but I suspect its a standard AliExpress 4005. 

I've heard all the horror stories but the neck is straight, finish is great, pickups a little weak maybe but sounded fine to me last night. 

• Like 1

Played at The Star & Garter last night, my last gig in the UK as a full member of the band.

Was a great gig as the gigs there always are, with the crowd up for it and all bands got a great reception, though even if I’m biased I thought we went down exceptionally well.

Will miss gigs up there, probably our fave venue, the reception to the music and the welcome to us cockneykunts is always great.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Played at The Star & Garter last night, my last gig in the UK as a full member of the band.

Was a great gig as the gigs there always are, with the crowd up for it and all bands got a great reception, though even if I’m biased I thought we went down exceptionally well.

Will miss gigs up there, probably our fave venue, the reception to the music and the welcome to us cockneykunts is always great.

I well remember having to leave a beloved band  Each of the goodbye gigs left a very bitter sweet taste. Good luck for the future mate. 

• Thanks 1

Surprisingly good gig at Charlie's Bar in Redruth.  Saturday before Xmas is usually a bit of a lottery as lots of people go out on the Friday and get absolutely leathered.  Good turnout last night though, partly due to the remnants of an outdoor event up the road passing through.  We also had the obligatory loud, p*ssed bird who continually asked for Blink 182 covers and didn't shut her gob for the entire 5 hours we were in the pub.  I don't know where she got the energy!

Played a blinder at the Jenny Lind in Hastings.

In 7 years that was the best gig my band have played, masses of love from the punters, lots to the bar from punters too apparently.

One of the regulars came up afterwards and said, "That was incredible, you guys are just surgical, in a really good way".

The bar played all of Osaka Monaurail's Riptide album while we setup. If you aren't up on your Japanese funk, let's just say something really serious to live up to....

Apparently we did and then some.

Still buzzing 🤩🤩🤩

• Like 6

The Three Horseshoes in Bradford on Avon. Ska band's xmas gig. Oh my word, what a blast :D the place was utterly rammed, i mean like 6 deep at the bar, up and dancing from the B of the bang. The landlord was so chuffed he gave us £200 more than we'd agreed on and demanded that we do it again next xmas :lol: Good to see breadbin there, sorry I was too distracted to chat for long -- the pressure of the load-out plus I'd lost my wallet (it turned up, thank god).

Edited by Rich

11 hours ago, Richard R said:

Just googled the Osaka Monaurail album. That blew away the cobwebs!  

You must have played a real belter 😎

Seriously it awesome being in a band with such quality players and people, but Osaka Monaurail, best funk band I've ever seen, better than Tower of Power...

11 hours ago, Richard R said:

Just googled the Osaka Monaurail album. That blew away the cobwebs!  

You must have played a real belter 😎

Me to and its pretty darn good. Enjoyed that.

Just watched them doing some live material (Shaft) and they sound just as good live as they do in studio.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

On 23/12/2019 at 20:39, dmccombe7 said:

Me to and its pretty darn good. Enjoyed that.

Just watched them doing some live material (Shaft) and they sound just as good live as they do in studio.

Dave

When I saw them live they spent a fair proportion of their set backing up Marva Whitney, went a bit more soul for that section, but When they lay it down hard, man alive they are funky as, and tighter than any other band I've heard...

This is my favourite track of theirs, love the 'melted' drum kit too!

• Like 2