Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Little pub gig last night - a new one for us that came in via our Facebook page. Apparently a few locals had seen us somewhere and nagged the manager to book us. Slightly strange set times - they wanted us starting at 9 and finished by 11 (we're normally starting the second set at 11) but hey ho its an early scarper so no problem. 

We arrived  at 7pm to find 10 tanked up late 20's bods playing pool, being generally loud, lairy and uncooperative when we said we needed to move the table to set up. The bar staff were no help and said can we could set up at 8.30pm and be ready to go at 9pm. Errr no sorry, it'll take us an hour to get sorted...... we waited around till 7.45 and then just started bringing gear in until they got the message and closed the table off. The lairy bods were getting worse - can i just have a go on the drums mate i'm really good etc....we were dumb enough to leave the gear unattended once whilst doing van shuttles and i came back to catch the alpha male one just getting off the drum stool and his mates laughing at him. I had a quick word with him - "go anywhere near that stage again and the gigs off and we're telling everyone why, no second chances" and then had the same convo with the bar staff. Just to try and set the ground rules out before we got going as it had the smell of a difficult night.

We got going at 9pm dead. Lairy bods were getting worse, spider dancing all over the place, spilling drinks, trying to talk or fist pump while we were playing, standing nose to nose eyeballing with us etc. They kept nipping off to the bogs too so we soon figured out they were full of nose candy too - that would explain why they weren't conking out or falling over from the booze. It was like having the children of Liam Gallagher and the Duracell bunny slam dancing around the room. Not aggressive really but unpleasant and intimidating.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

And they're trying to rebook us...

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Hope tomorrow is good, hate 3 gig weekends and this isn't changing my feelings on that!

And just when you wonder what the point is, gig 3 comes along. You turn up at a pub in the countryside with a couple of people eating their lunch, and think 'this is going to be good'. Landlord is very friendly, loads of space to set up, so you set up, the people finish their lunch and say they are looking forward to hearing you, you start, at the end of the first number you look up, there are 10 people there, they all applaud. End of the 2nd number, there are 20 people there, some are already dancing. End of the 3rd number, it is heaving and loads of people are dancing, and it is like that for the next 2.5 hours. So much energy and fun, it was fantastic. at the end the landlord thanked us through the PA, everyone cheered, and as they left the pub all came up to say how good it was.

Sometimes it works out.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mudpup said:

They kept nipping off to the bogs too so we soon figured out they were full of nose candy too - that would explain why they weren't conking out or falling over from the booze. It was like having the children of Liam Gallagher and the Duracell bunny slam dancing around the room. Not aggressive really but unpleasant and intimidating.

Cokeheads are the bane of our pub gig lives at the moment. The last three pub gigs we’ve done have been blighted by one or more weekend rockstar racing his nuts off and acting like a prize prick. As you say, not especially aggressive behaviour but pretty annoying nonetheless. Coke seems more widespread than ever nowadays. In my day twenty B&H and a few pints of snakebite sufficed. But also in my day there was much more violence, so maybe things are better now? Who knows...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Cokeheads are the bane of our pub gig lives at the moment. The last three pub gigs we’ve done have been blighted by one or more weekend rockstar racing his nuts off and acting like a prize prick. As you say, not especially aggressive behaviour but pretty annoying nonetheless. Coke seems more widespread than ever nowadays. In my day twenty B&H and a few pints of snakebite sufficed. But also in my day there was much more violence, so maybe things are better now? Who knows...

Quite agree on pretty much all of that. I remember being on the covers band circuit and coke-heads just made it a major pain. As you say they don’t usually become aggressive, just annoying.

• Like 3

Last gig of the year for us in Northwich, playing at the Salty Dog. Really good, albeit somewhat small, crowd, who were very appreciative. They've asked us back and there is also talk of a couple of other gigs off the back of it.

On a personal note, as my 4th outing with the band, I'm starting to get into the swing of it and enjoy myself. Previously I've been fairly nervous, leading to the inevitable few mistakes, whereas today I made the same mistakes with much more confidence!!

20191124_205841.jpg

20191124_205837.jpg

20191124_205828.jpg

20191124_205910.jpg

Just got in from a rare Sunday evening gig. Arrived to a lively bar, people were well oiled and having fun. 

Turns out they'd been at it from early and were not staying for the night time entertainment. Ho hum. 

I ended up playing through my little TC Electronic 250 watt back up head as SVT went the same way the CTM 100 went earlier in the week.

Turns out the place I store my gear has started suffering from damp. Which I didn't realise until now. 

Valve amps don't appear to like damp. My amp tech will be a busy boy. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Last gig of the year for us in Northwich, playing at the Salty Dog. Really good, albeit somewhat small, crowd, who were very appreciative. They've asked us back and there is also talk of a couple of other gigs off the back of it.

On a personal note, as my 4th outing with the band, I'm starting to get into the swing of it and enjoy myself. Previously I've been fairly nervous, leading to the inevitable few mistakes, whereas today I made the same mistakes with much more confidence!!

20191124_205841.jpg

20191124_205837.jpg

20191124_205828.jpg

20191124_205910.jpg

You can’t beat a confident mistake 😀

Played the Cider Barn at Draycott   with Hello Hopeville last night. 8.00 pm start and I did not know this until I got there, our electric guitarist could not make it until 8.30!

We started without him as we have acoustic guitar and banjo too, and he rolled up at 8.45pm, plugged in his amp, tuned up and we went onto the more electric songs in the set. Whole set went down very well.

Very small venue with a house PA and soundie and he kept messing with the vocal settings which led to intermittent feedback that then set off my new Gretsch hollowbody into feedback. I'd already rolled off my EQ on the amp so had to be careful. Next gig is a bigger venue ( but again another dodgy soundie) so have to see how we will get allong on the feedback. Ironically people, when they have seen the new bass have asked 'how would I cope with feedback' and I've blithley responded with "Every thinks it looks great'!

Edited by yorks5stringer

23 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Not last night but Friday, a charity event for Blesma (https://blesma.org/) at the Exchange Hotel in Cardiff Bay.

I knew it was an old building (formerly the Coal Exchange) but didn’t really know what to expect.  As the nominated band sound man I was hoping for something not too challenging, so preferably nothing cavernous with a hard floor.  I think the photo says it all...

Sound check was interesting - the room was basically a huge echo chamber, and I found I had to set relative levels quite differently to our usual mix.  I made an effort to keep everything as quiet as possible, though with our drummer “quiet” is a relative term!

Once we were playing it was obviously impossible to know how it sounded out front, but from where I was standing there were no problems.  More importantly we didn’t cause a mass exodus from the room and had quite a few people up and dancing for some songs, so it can’t have been too bad.

Most importantly, though, the organiser (who had seen us playing in a pub and asked if we’d do the event) was very happy, and it was great to be able to do something for a good cause.

449EDBAD-5CD8-473B-B1F1-8B952622B248.jpeg

Gosh - that brings back memories. One of the first "big gigs" I did was there.

I was working with a management signed artist that was looking at breaking it "big" (whatever that means) - but it was probably the first gig where I came out on stage (there had been a big stage erected there with sound and lighting rigs being brought in)... playing a bunch of songs that I don't think I really knew that well.

I had just taken over from a bass player who bizarrely enough couldn't cut it on bass and went to singing just on backing vocals - I think it was a cost saving thing they were trying to do... Anyway, the various songwriters were all in the audience with all the record owner types... and there was me panicking to see if I'd played the basslines in line with how they'd been written.

I remember coming off stage an absolute sweaty mess... (I don't normally sweat - hah Prince Andrew) - and remember being more glad that the gig was over rather than getting into it. I wish I had the composure that I have now back then!

I've not been able to post since but I did two gigs supporting New Model Army last week

Tuesday we played at The Live Rooms in Chester. There was something seriously wrong with the PA, no idea how they managed to take so long to fix it, but it meant our soundcheck was just a very brief line check. This normally wouldn't bother me but the rest of the band (who are big NMA fans) had got me nervous for the first time in ages! It was sold out too so a pretty important gig. Anyway, the sound was crap on stage, and probably out front, but it didn't matter at all. The crowd loved us!

Wednesday we played the Boiler Shop in Newcastle. This is such a cool venue. A huge old warehouse with loads of history, done up in a very modern fashion. Brilliant soundcheck and we played really well. 

We've been asked to support on another date next year so that'll be cool

• Like 5

On 25/11/2019 at 00:08, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I've stitched all the video elements together that I could find on Facebook of the Queen Live Aid set we performed last night.

It was a huge amount of fun to learn, rehearse and perform - all in aid of helping underprivileged children.

Superb.

Were you using an effect on Radio Ga Ga ? Bass sounded excellent. Great overall tone with the new bass.

I'd go see that show. Singer did a fantastic job on Freddie's vocals. Not an easy task. Guitarist spot on too. Drums and keys also an excellent job. All good i'd have to say.

Cheers for sharing

Dave

5 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Thank you very much. I’ve just watched it again myself and I’m incredibly proud of the guys.

It was a pretty easy gig as far as the drummer and I were concerned. Not so easy for vox and guitars, but they pulled it out of the bag. I really do have an itch for doing the Wembley ‘86 set.

It may appear easy doing the John Deacon and Roger Taylor parts but that combination with Freddie and Brian May is what made Queen who they were. They didn't need to be flashy or technically brilliant. They just needed to do what the songs really needed and they did it so well.

Are you gonna keep the bass then as i expect to be seeing this line up again in future. Would be a shame not to.

Queen and Bowie on same night would be cool especially up here in Scotland :lol:

What is the SY-1 you were using ? a synth pedal maybe ??? its those little touches that take a tribute to the next level for me.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Played a 7 to 10:30 with our acoustic 4 piece in Delefield Saturday night. Very upscale community, a lot of high end homes , condos and resturants. 

Wasn't the best gig for me, I didn't think I played all that well.

I have a full band Maple Road gig tomorrow night in Oconomowoc .

BlueFB_IMG_1564262845709.thumb.jpg.f40bc9072f1eba5fa44f731fbf365508.jpg

Blue

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Scotland? That’s a loooong way away 😂. Queen/Bowie does have a certain ring to it 👍

A wee long weekend tour Fri - Mon. Its only a couple hundred miles and a wee bit more from South of England. An easy trek for a competent, well organised band like yourselves.

Think of the money to be made, the prestige of playing 1st class venues played by many other famous tribute bands and the creme de la creme i would be there to say hello/

What's not to like :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

A wee long weekend tour Fri - Mon. Its only a couple hundred miles and a wee bit more from South of England. An easy trek for a competent, well organised band like yourselves.

Think of the money to be made, the prestige of playing 1st class venues played by many other famous tribute bands and the creme de la creme i would be there to say hello/

What's not to like :laugh1:

Dave

People (audience) have asked us several times when are we going to play Scotland, any 100-200 capacity venues with own PA and big enough stage for a six piece with two drummers you can suggest? 

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

People (audience) have asked us several times when are we going to play Scotland, any 100-200 capacity venues with own PA and big enough stage for a six piece with two drummers you can suggest? 

The list below are the usual larger venues for the more well known tribute bands but not sure about the PA being provided in them. That's something you would need to check but there are plenty of 1st class PA hire companies around Glasgow area.

Classic Grand in Glasgow (old cinema building with different sized venues on each level)

Oran Mor in Glasgow (converted church but good reputation for bands)

Hard Rock Cafe in Glasgow but load in is a pain as its a pedestrian area so no vehicles and you need to carry or transport gear  a fair bit to the venue.

O2 Academy in Glasgow

Lanark Town Hall in Lanark

Rutherglen Town Hall in Glasgow area

Hamilton Town Hall in Hamilton

The 3 Town Hall venues above are all run by the same South Lanarkshire Council and all similar sized well run venues.

Motherwell Civic Centre has 2 venues. Concert Hall which can be standing or seated and the Theatre venue which is fully seated (my preference but smaller) Ultimate Bowie tend to play the theatre gig every year and fill it easily whereas MacFloyd tend to play the concert hall and most times will fill that. I've seen other bands do the concert hall but half full. Still a good gig tho.

There are probably more but these are the ones i specifically know or i've attended.

Shock City Promotions might be worth contacting as they seem to be one of the better promoters for tribute bands in Glasgow area. I believe Chris Glen is involved with them in some way. No idea what they take as a percentage or fee.

http://www.shockcity.co.uk/contact.html

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Thanks, I'll copy that and pas it around th band, some of them must have played Edinburgh or Glasgow before!

I'm very rarely in Edinburgh because of traffic and parking a nightmare. I've always headed into Glasgow so i know more of the venues in that area.

If you asked that question as a topic you might get a better idea of what's available in Scotland.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The list below are the usual larger venues for the more well known tribute bands but not sure about the PA being provided in them. That's something you would need to check but there are plenty of 1st class PA hire companies around Glasgow area.

Classic Grand in Glasgow (old cinema building with different sized venues on each level)

Oran Mor in Glasgow (converted church but good reputation for bands)

Hard Rock Cafe in Glasgow but load in is a pain as its a pedestrian area so no vehicles and you need to carry or transport gear  a fair bit to the venue.

O2 Academy in Glasgow

Lanark Town Hall in Lanark

Rutherglen Town Hall in Glasgow area

Hamilton Town Hall in Hamilton

The 3 Town Hall venues above are all run by the same South Lanarkshire Council and all similar sized well run venues.

Motherwell Civic Centre has 2 venues. Concert Hall which can be standing or seated and the Theatre venue which is fully seated (my preference but smaller) Ultimate Bowie tend to play the theatre gig every year and fill it easily whereas MacFloyd tend to play the concert hall and most times will fill that. I've seen other bands do the concert hall but half full. Still a good gig tho.

There are probably more but these are the ones i specifically know or i've attended.

Shock City Promotions might be worth contacting as they seem to be one of the better promoters for tribute bands in Glasgow area. I believe Chris Glen is involved with them in some way. No idea what they take as a percentage or fee.

http://www.shockcity.co.uk/contact.html

Hope that helps.

In Edinburgh you have Stramash. That would be my first choice. 

There's also Voodoo Rooms that would work pretty well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1