Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

13 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Maybe I need a break, maybe I need a different band? Although the grass isn’t always greener...

The way we react emotionally to the gigs we play is a complex subject.  Last night I drove 30 miles to play a big town-centre pub.  Although the money was decent and we played really well, the punters weren't showing much love for themselves, each other, or us.  But I still came away feeling really chuffed because the band enjoyed it and I knew I'd earned my money.  If even the best-case gigs aren't doing it for you, then maybe your last comment hits the nail on the head.

Lot of the time it needs to be the right band for the right audience to get a great night.

Having played in rock and prog bands over the years some of the audiences we had just weren't into that style of music even tho i was loving it.

On the other hand the gigs i've done where the audience are hugely enjoying the band are usually good commercial covers bands.

Playing in a 70's Glam Rock band means we generally have a specific age group that enjoy the music more. Party nights suit us and everyone will enjoy a bit of Glam Rock mainly because the songs from that era are so well known even to this day..

I wouldn't play this kind of music wearing my Glam outfit in a pub gig in some parts of Glasgow. I'd be hung out to dry in 5 mins :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I wouldn't play this kind of music wearing my Glam outfit in a pub gig in some parts of Glasgow. I'd be hung out to dry in 5 mins :laugh1:

Dave

If you were lucky!  Good point about band/audience mismatch as the punters often don't know what they're going to see/hear.  If they turn up and it's not what they're really in to then they are not going to be overjoyed.

Best gig of the year so far, local venue with a function room and was raising money for charity. Couple of other bands on too, really enjoyed watching some school kids doing their own material, fantastic effort and I’m sure they’ll get further than I ever did with music. Enthusiastic crowd and we played well. Nothing else booked this year ( drummer has other gigs ) so looking forward to next year now. 

Surprise birthday party last night at a cricket club. Slow start but crowd were happy and interactive. But the place was like a sauna!

i took my new aerodyne jazz, a bit concerned as it was a 4 string and I don't generally play that, but mostly it was ok, as I practiced the ones I knew would cause me problems. The band thought it looked great. I thought the sound was a bit weak compared to the Ibanezs but it was ok, nice enough to play, missing string notwithstanding, although that arm bit isn't the most comfortable,  it you know, fashion, you are suppose to suffer for it!

Anyway, mother of birthday boy happy and wants to book us for her birthday

Fulford Arms in York on Saturday. We'd never played in York before so weren't sure what to expect. The soundman greeted us and sorted us out in about 15 minutes. No messing about and lots of mutual respect, so that was nice. Then we all went for a quick curry hoping to return in time to see the support bands. There were 3 punk bands of varying degrees of crazed noisiness and I really enjoyed them all. I guess the packed venue and friendly atmosphere helped but it was just really fun. I was fully expecting most of the audience to leave before or during our set but they seemed to hang around and we played really well, so a fantastic night all round! 

I got to bed around 2:30AM, up at 7 to get to my studio and prepare for the day's session at 9. I got a text at 8:30 - "the singer's van has broken down so we can't get to your studio". A very sleepy day off ensued 

On 07/11/2019 at 22:49, DaytonaRik said:

Last Friday we played a belated Halloween gig at The Vat and Fiddle in Nottingham which also coincided with our vocalist's and a mutual friends birthday weekend - a fun night was had by all!

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Liking the Jackson Pollock does Dawn of the Dead suit there Rik!

• Like 2

I've just played three cracking country gigs in a week with the Crow Valley Band. My rig consisted of '73 Precision > Ampeg PF-50T > Barefaced Midget - I can't believe how big 50 valve watts can sound through a 1x12! The picture below is from Sunday's gig in a large high-ceilinged village hall - no struggle at all in terms of volume and tone.

I think the Ampeg actually sounds better, maybe more focused, through the Midget than through my Super Twin. I should also point out that this arrangement is at the limit of acceptable overhang for me - I would have put the cab on its side except the Ampeg's feet don't clear the handle!

IMG_1697.JPG

Edited by JapanAxe

We played at a charity ball last night. Thirty minute set between the auction and the disco. I was a guest at the ball too so I was in black tie, never played wearing a tuxedo before! 

We played really well, and sounded good, although our pub size PA was only just sufficient for the cavernous semi permanent marquee. 

At soundcheck I just couldn’t get my Geddy Lee signature Jazz to sound good, no amount of eq’ing helped and I was stuck with this boomy, weak tone that I just couldn’t dial out. I plugged in my back up bass, my RMI Boomslang, and it instantly sounded great so I did the gig with that. Back home at 3am. Today’s going to be a write off....

0E91AD08-DB77-4E7C-AEFF-BB9BF3C6389E.jpeg

Played the Central Bar in Leith last night. Great gig and a very enthusiastic audience but probably the smallest 'stage' I've ever been on. We had to set up in what's effectively a corridor alongside the bar. The bar itself is about a foot in front of my pedalboard in the pic.. 

20191116_203215.jpg

• Haha 1

Played the Morecambe Punk Festival yesterday. We were on at 8:45 so a good time-slot, before the audience got too hammered, lol.

Sound out front for all bands was great, really powerful and very importantly they made sure the vocals were loud. On stage sound was good too as we gave over our printed monitor specs to the engineer (professional huh) so he could make sure we had what was needed. I was using some form of Peavey stack (210 combo plus 410 cab) and it was really nice and solid sounding, with my trusty Para Driver doing the eq/FOH.

The gig itself was great, audience really into it, the sound of them singing along to almost every word was amazing, lots of dancing/moshing going on, and a few crowd-surfers as well. For some reason the North West has really taken to us “cockneykunts” as they call us, we just love the gigs up there, just a shame it’s so far away!

D7778022-C151-498E-A218-23A2CC18379C.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 5

We had an interesting one - a 25th Anniversary for the first album where we played the entire album in order. Plus a second set of fan favourites and a DJ set afterwards. We also did a guided tour around London beforehand with a few fans who had bought onto a coach. It was an amazing but exhausting day and the show was a lot of fun.

IMG_1078.thumb.JPG.9119e5c5b03402c69bbb4be29b231bf6.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jacko said:

Played the Central Bar in Leith last night. Great gig and a very enthusiastic audience but probably the smallest 'stage' I've ever been on. We had to set up in what's effectively a corridor alongside the bar. The bar itself is about a foot in front of my pedalboard in the pic.. 

20191116_203215.jpg

A brief addendum to this. Over 40 odd years gigging, I've got used to punters coming over midsong, shouting requests in my ear - annoying as flip!.  On this occasion a young (mid 20's probbaly) girl came over and stood quietly typing on her phone.  'Odd' I thought till she held it up in front of me - 'can you do Lucille, BKing?'. *  Seems technology is even taking over in drunk punter territory.   

* We could, and did.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Played the Morecambe Punk Festival yesterday...

Cool! We were on at 8 so I guess it was you lot I heard while we were loading out. We played the small stage at the end of the room. Decent size crowd who were singing back to us, but the sound was pretty bad. I think the guy was just expecting standard 3 or 4 piece punk bands with amps but our guitarist uses a pod for his electric and switches between than and an acoustic. It took about 40 minutes to get everything working before we went on. The sound guy was clearly very annoyed. Oh well, still good fun! There's always such a great atmosphere at the punk gigs

21 hours ago, jacko said:

20191116_203215.jpg

I am jealous that that is the smallest area  you have played in!

44 minutes ago, jacko said:

On this occasion a young (mid 20's probbaly) girl came over and stood quietly typing on her phone.  'Odd' I thought till she held it up in front of me - 'can you do Lucille, BKing?'. *  Seems technology is even taking over in drunk punter territory.  

I would love that, so much better than screaming something at you mid song!

and on a second thought - A mid 20s woman wanted a BBKing song?? 😮

Last gig with 6th Sense after six years at Rushden Athletic Club on Saturday night. We're knocking it on the head for various reasons and it was a damn fine show to end on. That'll probably be it for me now unless or until something falls into my lap that I find compatible with today's hectic work/life balance. Approaching fifty with a football team's worth of grandkids too! In the meantime, my musical itch will be scratched by Basschat's monthly Composition Challenge. That's no bad thing.

bass2.jpg

Played 'Cornwall Rocks' last night with Stray. First night out for me with my recently acquired Rick 4003 and new Bugera Veyrom 1001T. Shall add a review later but well impressed with it. Saw some good bands Inc Voodoo Vegas and Massive Wagons but was really impressed with 'Collateral' who were fab. On the bus now for the long trip home zzzzz

The Horseshoe, Downend, Brizzle.
All 12 of us shoehorned into this not exactly huge pub. God it was hot in there but oh man, what a night. You know how every so often you get one of those gigs where nobody in the band puts a foot wrong all night and everything just works? Yup, one of them. Our new trombonist's first gig and he played a belter, he'd even learned some of the silly dance steps (not that there was much larking-about space :lol: ).  And without wanting to big my/ourselves up too much, we in the Engine Room were absolutely on fire, grooved our arrses off all night. Best gig I've had in months. Probably in the last couple of years. I want to do it all again tonight now.

• Like 3

Bit of a downer in Liverpool on Saturday night. Headline slot in Liverpool in a small but well regarded venue, with three bands supporting us, with promoter telling us to expect 60-70 people. We ended up playing to about 15 in total - 4 of which were from my family! We played a decent show despite poor on stage sound (FOH sound was good apparently- certainly was for the support). To top it off , I also got a parking ticket from the Merseyside bobbies!

Thems the breaks!

r.jpg

Edited by stuckinthepod