Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I didn't bother posting about our previous gig, frankly it was sloppy and under par and I made my feelings known to other band members. I think some of it sunk in as last night was much tighter. We all make mistakes and I had a poor second set by my own standards but nothing 95% of the audience would have spotted. It was mostly misjudging where the lead gtr was in his solos as he goes through the PA and his on stage vol can ber very low in the mix when we are in full swing. I usually ask him to put his gtr through my monitor but I don't think he did last night.

Sort of gig you turn up and wonder what you are doing it for. Sunday, a good hour's drive from home and for taff all money to speak of. However, the venue was quite nice even though in a run down corner of Brum. Some pillars in the room make for an odd set up and it makes the onstage sound very peculiar but we soldiered on. What really made it was the audience. Not heaving numbers but twice what I'd expect in a backwater pub on a rainy Sunday. And they enjoyed it, we had people of a certain age grooving down to Peal Jam's 'Alive' and a fella who seemed to be on his own singing the words to all the classics we play. To top it off our esteemed member seashell popped along with a friend to keep a straight face during my 'jazz notes'😁

Last gig with Adam on drums, last remaining original band member so (though I'm very much the new boy) the end of an era for the other guys in the band. We wish him well with whatever he does to fill the time in. Back issues and sciatica were making it too painful for him to keep drumming. We have taken no more bookings for this year and plan to audition drummers early next month with a view to having them up to speed with the set for early 2020.

• Like 2

We did the Amersham Arms on Saturday. It was an all day punk festival. We were supposed to be the penultimate band but the last band (The Lurkers) didn't turn up. It was a 3 hour drive down to get there at 7pm. We were expecting to be on around 9 but they pushed us back to 10 and asked for a longer set. There was a good audience for the few bands on before us, but most of them left as we were setting up. We were left with about 15 people in the room, of which maybe 5 were actually watching. Got to bed around 3AM, up at 8 on Sunday for a session in my studio... worst gig for a long while

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I don't understand why you're talking about the continuation of the band being untenable? Sounds like all you need is a new drummer. One who knows how to control his volume, and his temper.

S.P.

You’re quite right, but the drummer and the guitarist/singer are close friends, I joined later. They can probably recover from this better than I can. If anybody’s walking it’s me, and if I go... well, it took them six months to find me to replace the previous bassist. Replacing me mightn’t be any easier, who knows. 

16 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Maybe... Definitely an overreaction, and as today has worn on and I’ve had time to think about it the more angry I am about how he reacted. If someone has a problem we deal with it in a mature manner. Being called a **** by a bandmate is unnecessary and unacceptable. I’m pretty easy going usually and I’m normally happy to work things like this out and move on, but being the character he is I think this will fester to the point that the continuation of the band is probably untenable. I don’t need the grief - this is supposed to be fun.

has it been coming for a while?  Just seems odd that one incident would make it all kick off in isolation, and you skip straight to the band being finished

30 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

has it been coming for a while?  Just seems odd that one incident would make it all kick off in isolation, and you skip straight to the band being finished

He texted us earlier today, saying he wants to meet up. Apparently there are some personal things going on that he wants to talk about. We’ll see.

3 hours ago, KevB said:

I didn't bother posting about our previous gig, frankly it was sloppy and under par and I made my feelings known to other band members. I think some of it sunk in as last night was much tighter. We all make mistakes and I had a poor second set by my own standards but nothing 95% of the audience would have spotted. It was mostly misjudging where the lead gtr was in his solos as he goes through the PA and his on stage vol can ber very low in the mix when we are in full swing. I usually ask him to put his gtr through my monitor but I don't think he did last night.

Sort of gig you turn up and wonder what you are doing it for. Sunday, a good hour's drive from home and for taff all money to speak of. However, the venue was quite nice even though in a run down corner of Brum. Some pillars in the room make for an odd set up and it makes the onstage sound very peculiar but we soldiered on. What really made it was the audience. Not heaving numbers but twice what I'd expect in a backwater pub on a rainy Sunday. And they enjoyed it, we had people of a certain age grooving down to Peal Jam's 'Alive' and a fella who seemed to be on his own singing the words to all the classics we play. To top it off our esteemed member seashell popped along with a friend to keep a straight face during my 'jazz notes'😁

Last gig with Adam on drums, last remaining original band member so (though I'm very much the new boy) the end of an era for the other guys in the band. We wish him well with whatever he does to fill the time in. Back issues and sciatica were making it too painful for him to keep drumming. We have taken no more bookings for this year and plan to audition drummers early next month with a view to having them up to speed with the set for early 2020.

Kev's being too modest as usual. He played with his usual aplomb, and I didn't notice any bum notes at all!  

My friend and I really enjoyed the evening.  We thought the pub was really nice - very friendly atmosphere and good local beer (according to my friend.. I don't drink beer).  Sadly I doubt if I'll be back regularly - I wouldn't really fancy going on my own to that area at night so it all depends if my friend fancies a repeat visit.  But I digress.

I thought the set was great - the usual Dad rock classics in the first half and some newer stuff in the second half (some songs even from the 21st Century!!).  Funny that Kev should mention not being able to hear the L/G too well. I also thought he was a bit low in the mix.  As well as our excellent KevB, the two guitarists and drummer were also very good. Such a shame about the drummer having to hang up his sticks. If I was being critical I would say the L/S could do with a little bit more oomph, so to speak. And tell him not to hum along to the guitar solo in All Right Now! 😝

Edited to add.. the friend I was with is also a musician and can be very critical, so if he enjoyed it-  it must have been good!😃 

Edited by seashell
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

He texted us earlier today, saying he wants to meet up. Apparently there are some personal things going on that he wants to talk about. We’ll see.

I'd got to 'I wonder if otehr things are going on in the drummer's life?' before I read that...

On 21/10/2019 at 13:33, BrunoBass said:

We met up, The Man Who Hits Drums muttered an apology through gritted teeth, and then spent the next hour moaning about everything he doesn’t like about the band. Total negativity and insincerity. The only positive is that my mind is made up, I’ll fulfil my commitments until the end of the year (mate’s wedding, launch party of another mates new pub amongst the usual pub stuff) and then I’m gone. I fancy a break and the chance to find another band.

Edited by BrunoBass

On 20/10/2019 at 15:23, Maude said:

So from trudging to a gig convincing myself the end was near and I'd be OK with it, to finishing the encores with everyone buzzing and looking to the future of the band in the space of three hours. 

Gigging is definitely a lifeblood and I need it 👍

At 65 so do I.

Great story and not much different then mine for last Saturday night.

Private retirement event, I was expecting uninterested family and friends. Plus it was our first gig with our new 25 year old lead guitarist and vocalist. I wasn't happy with our rehearsals and didn't think we we're ready.

From the first few bars everything clicked together and the crowd turned out to be cool music lovers from the 60s & 70s.

The gig gave me new faith the band can survive the loss of a 14 year founding member.

Blue

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Two shows supporting the Wildhearts this week, Wolverhampton and Dover. Wolverhampton was massive (1000 punters) & KK Dowling apparently liked the band. Dover was a 300 capacity but both were great shows. Photo courtesy of Black Velvet Magazine.

IMG_6045.JPG.e83d12b4a2563dd8e1a05a046dc0314c.JPG

Cool photo 

• Thanks 1

Played a birthday party in a large function room of a pub. It was a timeless experience for a musician. How many have played to that exact crowd in that exact environment down through the years? Made me smile to reflect on this passion of ours, and made me realise how much I love it. Every part of it, from the hours of fiddling with effects at home, right through to the late night motorway drive back. 

Quite simply I'm where I should be. 

• Like 7

An absolute cracker of a gig at the same pub we play every Halloween.

Full day of the dead fancy dress, even busier pub than usual and tried out my new Smoothound which worked perfectly.

The sound was great, but funnily enough I didn't play that well (possibly due to being paid in beer & accommodation). The atmosphere & fun factor carried it completely though.

Anyway, pics.

IMG_20191026_205307_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20191026_212119.jpg

IMG_20191026_213318_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20191026_230203.jpg

• Like 2

Bass amp blew up as I walked on stage, so never heard a note I played all night. I could feel the bass through the stage, from the subs, but don’t know if it was right or not. Still, people danced and clapped. Had a driver, so managed a couple of pints after it. Not the worst night ever and fun with all the Halloween fancy dress. 

2 thoroughly enjoyable gigs this weekend. A Halloween birthday party and Wedding. Both very different both excellent with great crowds. Was our drummers first outing with his electric kit so was very different from the usual but sounding great. The punters seemed to love it, as did we 😃

998ABC7C-4F3B-4AA6-958D-196236752757.jpeg

ACC0109F-A297-44AC-91F3-BB722479ADC2.jpeg

24D5C357-CB98-4AAF-9BB3-5259B30A5C26.jpeg

208D8725-43E2-43F9-8FF5-B3EE8D460641.jpeg

• Like 4

On Friday we played The Fleece in Bristol, supporting Sham 69. Was an early show with a strict 10:30 curfew. Was a very packed Fleece indeed, even for when we were on at 7:30, and the crowd were very appreciative of our set. Unfortunately I didn`t enjoy the gig at all, as I`ve recently injured my right wrist at work. I`m currently wearing a wrist support and I can play, but I can`t get the same attack as my style is all about hit as hard as possible. Plus the amp set-up, which was an Ampeg Heritage SVT & 810, well it was as boomy as anything. Usually with SVTs I just set everything at midday and with my trusty Para Driver all is good but on-stage it was horrible. I knew that out front was getting what was needed so tried to not let it bother me but that, combined with the wrist made me not enjoy that gig at all. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

On Friday we played The Fleece in Bristol, supporting Sham 69. Was an early show with a strict 10:30 curfew. Was a very packed Fleece indeed, even for when we were on at 7:30, and the crowd were very appreciative of our set. Unfortunately I didn`t enjoy the gig at all, as I`ve recently injured my right wrist at work. I`m currently wearing a wrist support and I can play, but I can`t get the same attack as my style is all about hit as hard as possible. Plus the amp set-up, which was an Ampeg Heritage SVT & 810, well it was as boomy as anything. Usually with SVTs I just set everything at midday and with my trusty Para Driver all is good but on-stage it was horrible. I knew that out front was getting what was needed so tried to not let it bother me but that, combined with the wrist made me not enjoy that gig at all. 

Ah Lozz, that’s a real plopper, been there with wrist problems and had to keep on gigging. Hope it gets better soon. On the plus side, at least you got to see Sham69 for free!

On friday I played at our normal every month end pub. It was blowing a gale and p'ing down, so wasn't expecting many people so was quite surprised that quite a few people were there.

My sound sounded great out front but I couldn't get any level in my earphones. Took me 3 songs to work out I had turned the volume down on the bass. Still wasn't a great sound to me, seemed lifeless. Guess I need new strings.

Also forgot the intro of one of the songs, but everyone else forgot something too, so not so bad - the guitarist forgot how to play sex on fire (which I would call a good thing). Then just after the half time my bass died completely, After a quite look around seemed like the batteries had gone flat in the smoothhound, the ones I thought before the gig 'oh better change the batteries' and completely forgot.

After the gig everyone was saying how great it was. You can really never tell.

I love reading this thread, but don't post because I don't gig. However I did spend Friday installing a new sound desk at church, and this morning was its first outing so here, by way of a change, is a gentle  story from the man in black at the back 🙂

Going from an analogue to a digital desk is a bit like 4 string to 5 string I'm told. You can do all the same stuff and more, but you have to change your muscle memory. Apart from turning the gain on the preacher to zero (no idea how, took a while to track down while he used another mic),  the to-be-expected EQ-ing the wrong channel, and grabbing the kick-drum fader instead of the clarinet (twice! d-oh!!) it was OK. The best comment was from one chap who used to mix a lot. "Well it's no worse than you usually sound and I wouldn't have known any difference if I didn't know it was a new desk". I think it was meant as a compliment!

Photo from the Friday before rehearsal. 

IMG-20191025-WA0007.jpeg

• Like 4

Did an hour set at an Apple day in Castle Carey this afternoon in bright sunshine. Lost count of the number of people who said 'It's a good job you didn't play yesterday' as it poured down.

No sign of Yoko and we were missing our electric guitarist, but banjo and acoustic guitar  filled the sonic space adequately. Lots of Cider stalls plus a Sheeps cheese stall just by the steps we played on. No sign of H either.....

Edited by yorks5stringer

4 hours ago, Richard R said:

I love reading this thread, but don't post because I don't gig. However I did spend Friday installing a new sound desk at church, and this morning was its first outing so here, by way of a change, is a gentle  story from the man in black at the back 🙂

Going from an analogue to a digital desk is a bit like 4 string to 5 string I'm told. You can do all the same stuff and more, but you have to change your muscle memory. Apart from turning the gain on the preacher to zero (no idea how, took a while to track down while he used another mic),  the to-be-expected EQ-ing the wrong channel, and grabbing the kick-drum fader instead of the clarinet (twice! d-oh!!) it was OK. The best comment was from one chap who used to mix a lot. "Well it's no worse than you usually sound and I wouldn't have known any difference if I didn't know it was a new desk". I think it was meant as a compliment!

Photo from the Friday before rehearsal. 

IMG-20191025-WA0007.jpeg

The QU is a great desk and one of the easiest to transition to after a lifetime on analogue. In no time at all, you'll love it.

At a guess, I'd say that you zeroe'd the gain whilst using the ipad/tablet control. It's stupidly easy to do if you keep your finger on the wrong thing for too long.

10 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

I'd say that you zeroe'd the gain whilst using the ipad/tablet control.

Very possibly, but I have no idea 😉

One if the deciding factors on this desk vs the X32 was the ease of transition,  especially for occasional users of which there are many in a church environment.  But of course those of us for whom it's our main job have lots more to play with. I love it already 👍