Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just got home after an hour and a half or more driving in pouring rain. The Grateful Dudes played the Fiddlers Elbow on Camden Saturday night, our first time there but not our last, as we are back in December and have been booked for six dates in 2020. Decent turnout despite the weather,  and all very enthusiastic, saw plenty of old friends and made quite a few new ones. 

Had to play as a five as your rhythm guitarist (also one of the main vocalists) was already booked elsewhere, so the dynamics were a little different, but we had a good time, and so did the audience.

Off to bed now!

Morning edit - forgot to mention that I took a look at my Precision and Jazz basses yesterday, having not opened the cases for over a year due to my concentration on six string bass. I was thinking it might be time to move the old 4 strings on. Yesterday morning I picked up the Precision, it was very close to still being in tune, starting noodling on it, played a couple of songs I was due to play last night - and, as I am sure most of you have guessed, played the entire gig on it! Many people in the audience commented that it sounded very good, and a surprising number were very aware of my 4-6-4 periods over the last couple of years. And there was me thinking nobody notices the bass player!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

Last night we played what I consider to be our biggest gig so far, Telford's Warehouse in Chester. Its a well-known music venue in the local area and it was packed last night, it was for a special birthday party but it was open as usual too and looked full to me (which was a relief! I'd promised we'd bring in a decent crowd). Also this was the first with proper mic'ing up, PA with high volumes etc and earned us decent money.

The band was really well prepared and played brilliantly, everyone seemed to have a good time and the feedback so far is good too. Some of the logistics were "interesting", there were 17 of us after all!!! 

As seems usual to post, here was last night's setlist:

Opus One
Get me to the Church
Corcovado
Fever
Blue Moon
In the Mood
A Little Blues Please
Big Bad Handsome Man
Singin in the Rain
Never Loved a Man
Leap Frog
Rock Around the Clock
Happy Birthday

INTERVAL

Birdland
Valerie
Sir Duke
Ain't no other Man
Music To Watch Girls By
Tequila
Geno
You know I'm no good
Tainted Love
Little Brown Jug
Copacabana
Don't Ever Think too Much

20191012_184400.jpg

72072794_1006423576380844_4505949008841146368_o.jpg

Edited by paul_c2
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Many people in the audience commented that it sounded very good, and a surprising number were very aware of my 4-6-4 periods over the last couple of years. And there was me thinking nobody notices the bass player!

A change is as good as a rest.

• Like 1

Played a private party last night. Audience got up and danced after just a couple of numbers, we were asked to stay on longer than we were booked for but in fairness to the DJ we played an additional turn later in the night instead.

Nice comments from the party attendees - bonus.

A day late with this, but we had an absolute belter of an afternoon on Saturday playing at The Spree festival in Paisley in the Spielgeltent to over 400 people...we played the last slot between 4.00pm and 5.00pm when everyone was suitably watered, so it got a bit lively and dancey...!  

Set list was: "I Can't Explain"; "Substitute"; "The Kids Are Alright"; "I Can See For Miles"; "Baba O'Riley"; "5:15"; "Amazing Journey"; "Sparks"; "Pinball Wizard"; "See Me, Feel Me"; "Behind Blue Eyes"; "Won't Get Fooled Again"; and "My Generation".

Subs (218).JPG

Subs (48).JPG

Subs (155).JPG

Edited by lou24d53

I haven't been here since my gig on Friday night so this is a belated nast night's gig posting. My band played on the main stage at Birmingham Symphony Hall for a Jazz night. It was a last minute upgrade from the usual location of the Jazz club there which was one of the conference rooms. No complaints there.  We did a Grover Washington Jr set which went down great.

JazzlinesFriday.jpg

JazzlinesFriday2.jpg

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I haven't been here since my gig on Friday night so this is a belated nast night's gig posting. My band played on the main stage at Birmingham Symphony Hall for a Jazz night. It was a last minute upgrade from the usual location of the Jazz club there which was one of the conference rooms. No complaints there.  We did a Grover Washington Jr set which went down great.

JazzlinesFriday.jpg

JazzlinesFriday2.jpg

Nice to see that upright again, (and I think that bass you're playing breaks some sort of knob count record...)

Friday - Charity gig with originals band at the Hairy Dog Derby, was great made over £600 for the Teenage Cancer trust

Saturday - Covers band gig, Local again, New Cross Sutton in Ashfield,  . . .oh dear . . still got paid.

Sunday - Covers gig,  Nag Head Ripley, great little pub, got to try out some new covers. Shouts of "Freebird"! around the place, better than get off i guess!

Back hurts after lugging 5 speakers in and out of the car. 😞 

all in all still fun

Edited by Stofferson
extra info

Late to the party, but played on Saturday night with the originals band. 

Went really well as far as I can tell. Main singist was a bit unhappy with his voice, but it was a supportive home crowd who didn't mind/notice.

Next up is a trip to London village on Nov 17th.

Star and garter in Manchester on Sunday, loads in, played well, went down well, great all round really! The bass drum of the house kit was knackered which was a massive disappointment as it's normally great and I would have brought my own if I'd known. Never mind, no one in the audience cared!

8 hours ago, grandad said:

Played with The Fox Hollies Set at Wishaw golf club to diners. Very nice venue. Much polite applause albeit mostly from family and friends in attendance. Back home and in bed well before midnight.

IMG_2025-1 tHE The Fox Hollies Set 25072018.jpg

Well, the weather looks to be have nicely unseasonal for you. 😀

Glad you're out there gigging. I enjoyed having a little play on that 'Beatle' bass at the last Midlands Bass Bash.

• Like 1

Quiet mid-week gig in a mid-Sussex pub last night, given that it was a Thursday and the torrential rain I thought it was going to be a waste of time on the drive over.

We ended up with a small, but enthusiastic audience, and happy bar staff so worth it in the end.

Just a small place, so it was nice to leave the amp in the car and just DI with in ears.

Next week i'm playing an assortmment of istruments (bass, guitar, mandolin) with my brother and SIL for my sister in law's birthday, and depping a coupleof songs with my other brother's band on bass. Today went with B & SIL to the hall to check it out and we did a few songs, one of which I've never heard before, and they all went reall well:-)

Just in. Managed to get the last tube. Bass on my back and rest of gear on a trolley.

Thankful for muscle memory 😁

We played 9 to 12:30 with a break. We've over 50 songs that we pick from and did 3 new ones tonight.

Great gig. Load in from hell though, I should start a thread. 3 lanes of traffic on a blind corner to contend with 😖

That's why I never drive to this one.

40 minute set at The Star, Beeston, Nottingham as part of  Oxjam. First full-band gig for a year, but surprisingly tight! Great responsive audience. Played through the house backline, a lovely small Mark Bass combo and got a great punchy tone from it.  Short clip from someone's phone video - thank you whoever you are 🙂

• Like 3

Well, that escalated quickly...

We had a decent gig, really rocking by the second half, the whole pub up and dancing. All good. But then with about four songs to go the pub practically emptied, we finished and got no encore. The first time ever we haven’t heard ‘more, more’ at the end of the set. Oh well, no biggie, it means I get home quarter of an hour earlier. 

After loading out we were outside by our cars, discussing why the pub emptied like it did. I mentioned that we were very loud (we were, something about the room made the drums sound very, very loud). The drummer only hits things with one level of velocity, so the obvious answer of not hitting the drums quite so hard doesn’t register with him. Consequently me and the guitarist had to turn up a bit, but nothing drastic. Drummer then starts getting defensive, saying he had to play loud to compete with the amps, ignoring the fact that we were loud to compete with him. He’s a difficult character at the best of times but he then started acting like a stroppy teenager and getting pretty het up. It ended by him getting in his car, calling us a pair of ****s and speeding off. 

So as of this morning I don’t even know if we have a band anymore. Guitarist has tried to contact him this morning but no response. The sad thing is I’m actually not that bothered if it’s over, I don’t need that kind of hassle.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Marillionred said:

40 minute set at The Star, Beeston, Nottingham as part of  Oxjam. First full-band gig for a year, but surprisingly tight! Great responsive audience. Played through the house backline, a lovely small Mark Bass combo and got a great punchy tone from it.  Short clip from someone's phone video - thank you whoever you are 🙂

That's a good recording for a mobile phone - do you know what kind it was?