Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

We would turn down a place that didn't have a defeatable volume limiter, it wouldn't be in our or the venues interest.

I think we are very rapidly coming to the same conclusion. It will be something we look into as "standard" going forward and who knows we may be able to persuade some folk booking us to consider alternative venues if they don't want the band (and the DJ last night) coming up against sporadic cut outs! 

Just got back from a dep gig. The singer and guitarist from my regular band also play in a punk band with a female rhythm section. Their  bass player was unable to play so I offered my services. The gig was at our regular favourite venue and it was the landlords engagement party too. I quickly learnt 2 sets of mostly new songs for me and had notes discreetly behind PA speaker on a music stand. All in all a good gig and the show went on. We finished with a encore of 4 songs from our regular band with the drummer depping this time. She even did vocals on Sin City. 

Started well, quiet pub but those who were there were enjoying their Saturday night. 

Sadly the g*******t upset the BL who rather bizarrely took out her petulance on me. 

Perhaps hard work, reliability and dedication are so easy to come by she feels I am dispensable, whereas arrogance, drunkenness, laziness and selfishness must be nurtured. 

Funny old world. 

• Sad 1

After a hectic festival season last night was our first ‘full set’ for about 9 months. Started at 8.30 and finished at 10.55, no breaks and full on Foo Fighters set. Was bloody magnificent although I’m knackered now! Place was absolutely rammed, love playing at home and love Trillians! Best rock bar in the north east! 

Now, coffee!!!

• Like 1

Last night we were back at the same pub where I played my first gig with this band, just over a year ago. It was another great night, with a numerous and very vocal audience by the end of the night. Load-in wasn't quite as good as last time - there were no parking spaces on the road out front, so I had to park round the back which meant carrying all my equipment through the whole pub. Fortunately it wasn't too full at 7:30 and there weren't too many obstructions. Hollow wooden stage wasn't as punishing as last time, now that I have a little camping table to put my bass amp on. As always, I EQ'd for the room primarily. I suspect that my bandmates have a tendency to get louder during the course of the evening, as I had a guy come up to me at the end of the night saying that he thought my bass should have been a bit louder. What can I say, everything sounded nicely balanced when I was stood out front during soundcheck.

I can also recommend this pub (the Maiden's Head, in Maidenhead) for those seeking alcohol free beer options. They stock Nanny State, Erdinger Alkoholfrei and Beck's Blue.

S.P.

• Like 1

Not a gig as such, but I did do a three-hour slot on the independence march here in Edinburgh yesterday playing snare drum.

I had a strong sense of irony though. I've spent rather more than I want to think about on bass gear and lessons and I'm still looking for a band. By contrast, I was playing an el-cheapo drum I picked up for 20 quid on fleabay. It was held on with a £2 belt from Primani as I was too tight to buy a sling and I had to jam every tune as I hadn't heard them before - and at the end, the band were very complimentary about my drumming and asked me to join them permanently. Funny old world!

• Like 4

On 05/10/2019 at 00:35, Al Krow said:

Feedback from the band is we should simply turn down gigs at venues with sound limiters. Quite a radical approach. But I can see the sense in it. Anyone else gone down that road? 

Yep - we wont do them. Our singer can set them off without a PA!!!!

• Haha 2

On 04/10/2019 at 16:31, mcnach said:

Ok, so we look a bit bored and stiff... we were missing a guitar and the sax player, and personally I was struggling physically a lot. Not the best night to have a gig... but it was my first with my new bass so here it goes, Sea Bass Kid playing "Smokey Home", one of the tracks in our new CD (almost ready!)

I wish my band could come up with a decent video. You guys sound cool to me.

Blue

• Thanks 1

Another short-notice gig, this time 2.15pm call for 9pm local gig with a 3-piece 'classic rock' covers outfit. There were quite a few numbers I didn't know or wasn't familiar with, so I spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening roughly working out numbers, making and/or gathering together transcriptions, and memorising the simpler numbers. All the dots went on my iPad.

I recall there was a thread a while back where the use of music stands on pub gigs got a bit of  a hammering. If this gig had been at a fortnight's notice I may well have learned the set, but that wasn't going to work on this one, I had to read it from dots. Fortunately I was able to position my iPad stand behind a PA speaker, so visually it was fine.

On the downside, the BL had no clue as to keys. I first received a set list based on first notes or chords, then one with the alleged keys, which were mainly nonsense. Fortunately only a couple of songs turned out to be in non-original keys.

The actual gig was ok, but the few people at the pub were more interested in the rugby and/or golf than in the band.

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I wish my band could come up with a decent video. You guys sound cool to me.

Blue

Thanks Blue!

That video was just one of our friends filming with a phone walking around with us.

By the way, our trumpet player is a fellow Wisconsian, fromsome small town whose name I forget now. Good people ;) 

My band played two blindingly enjoyable gigs on Friday and Saturday after a weekend off. 

We handed our weekly jam night over to a long established and trusted local band, so we could head up to The Talbot in Burnley (always a good gig) . It had been handed over to some friends, who regularly attend the jam, the previous week, without incident. 

After our first set of three, I saw a message from the landlady, asking me where the stand in band for that night were. 

I looked on the bassist from that band's page and he had been advertising the jam earlier in the day. I sent her a screenshot of that.

We kicked off our second spot... 

Then he posted, asking around for a drummer, as their drummer wasn't doing it. They have had 3 weeks to sort this out. 

Shortly afterwards he posted that he was chucking the jam in, as he couldn't find a drummer. 

The landlady messaged me saying she was going to have to close as people had come in and walked back out, as nothing was going on.

I messaged the bassist who was covering and he said he had messaged her and she mustn't have seen it. That was not the point. He let her down. Big style. 

I just felt sick. This ruined my evening. I know that we are going to get it in the neck next Sunday, as she will be ripping about this - as she is indeed entitled to be.

I am normally there first and will catch the brunt of this anger. Ironic, as I didn't want to hand the jam over for a second week on the trot. Pray for me... 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I am normally there first and will catch the brunt of this anger. Ironic, as I didn't want to hand the jam over for a second week on the trot. Pray for me... 

You have my sympathy, but the lesson (learnt from work situations) is if you get someone to stand in for you put the 'client' in direct contact with them and suggest they speak to them in advance.

If the landlady had spoken to the temporary organiser in advance they would both have 'bought in' to the arrangement. He might have had more reason to deliver and would have felt obliged to at least let them know. She would have been able to contact him and he would have been the focus for here ire rather than you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You have my sympathy, but the lesson (learnt from work situations) is if you get someone to stand in for you put the 'client' in direct contact with them and suggest they speak to them in advance.

If the landlady had spoken to the temporary organiser in advance they would both have 'bought in' to the arrangement. He might have had more reason to deliver and would have felt obliged to at least let them know. She would have been able to contact him and he would have been the focus for here ire rather than you.

She knows their bassist. 

• Like 1

Bloody brilliant. A week long huge exhibition for the town of Montlucon. 4 enormous exhibition tents displaying local businesses. We played in the grande salle with all the bars and restaurants. We should have been booked to  play tonight but as I was playing another gig tonight with a jazzy RnB band, they gave us the Friday instead. Had about 500-600 there for the off and kept them all there until the end of a no break 2 hour set.

Very grateful bar owners shaking our hands afterwards as it seems the bands on the three previous nights had all cleared the place by 10pm. Really enjoyable gig.

• Like 5

Played our album launch Thursday night at 229 in London. Put the night on ourselves and had a banger of a night. 

Went totally overkill on rig, but had a good crowd and played 4 tracks live we hadn't played before, 1 track we haven't done in about 4 years and 2 we were comfy with. Played reasonably and we're tight enough and importantly the crowd seemed to dig it. Took waaay too much rig with me though as there was foh. 

Band: Gévaudan 

https://gevaudan.bandcamp.com/album/iter

FB_IMG_1570873495686.jpg.4a27ef870b88b0c405b8591564b6b58d.jpg

IMG_20191010_173115_419.thumb.jpg.c3c0b306c2197add7d78e4a8a90caa50.jpg

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why are most Basschatters so modest about sharing the names of their bands?

I'd love to know especially if the chance to come and see some of your bands comes up!

Stray/Del Bromham's Blues Devils. At The Brickmakers in Norwich tonight!

• Thanks 1

Maybe we're just over-critical of ourselves and nervous of the fact other more proficient players might be judging us. 

To be honest i'm usually too focused on the gig to notice anyone specific in an audience even when standing in front of me. 

Maybe i need to go to Specsavers :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1