Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Not sure I would like to put my speakers as the top ones on that stack!

Also wouldn't work for our band, the singer likes to walk around and dance a bit, might not work out so well

All was secured very well so no problems.

We invited the audience to come and dance up close but somehow they weren't up to it.

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I love the little pot plants in between the monitors. So very Dutch 🙂

Indeed 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Len_derby said:

That looks great. Were you on a floating platform? I'm trying to imagine what happened when one of those big site-seeing vessels went past! 🏄  😳

Yes floating platform, but the boats that went by didn't give us too much bother

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MGB said:

Sunday afternoon gig, it was a two hour drive to get there so quite an early start for a sunday. We played outdoor with The Billy Joel Experience, yes we only play Billy Joel songs. We played well and it was a nice responsive crowd but it felt a bit strange because we where separated by water.

IMG-20190901-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0027.jpg

Nice pics and a nice huge crowd.

Blue

I found this on line this morning. I hope I'm a part of the transition.

"Greetings everyone! As many of you know, and some may not, Maple Road is going through one heck of a transition right now. Randy is officially retired and on his way to Florida as we speak, so there is a rather large pair of blues singin’, guitar slingin’ and harmonica playin’ shoes to fill. But have no fear, we have some exciting things in the works and Maple Road will begin the next chapter of it’s musical book very soon! There will be a slight lull in live performances for a short time, but stay tuned for all upcoming gigs! 
www.mapleroadbluesband.com will be getting an overhaul as well, so keep an eye out for that!
A HUGE thank you to Randy for his commitment and talent for nearly 13 years, and to all of YOU for supporting live music! 
Don’t go too far, this transition won’t take long....!"

Blue

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

"Greetings everyone! As many of you know, and some may not, Maple Road is going through one heck of a transition right now. Randy is officially retired and on his way to Florida as we speak, so there is a rather large pair of blues singin’, guitar slingin’ and harmonica playin’ shoes to fill. But have no fear, we have some exciting things in the works and Maple Road will begin the next chapter of it’s musical book very soon! There will be a slight lull in live performances for a short time, but stay tuned for all upcoming gigs! 
www.mapleroadbluesband.com will be getting an overhaul as well, so keep an eye out for that!
A HUGE thank you to Randy for his commitment and talent for nearly 13 years, and to all of YOU for supporting live music! 

Blue

You must be Randy :laugh1:(excuse the pun) 

Dave

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

Do I understand correctly that you are in this band and you knew nothing about this on forehand?

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I've been the bass player in this band for the past 8 years. I knew about this, as a matter of fact I knew it was coming 4 years ago.

BlueFB_IMG_1564262845709.thumb.jpg.f40bc9072f1eba5fa44f731fbf365508.jpg

Power Trio...

Perhaps not the ideal moment to head for Florida? 😞

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I've been the bass player in this band for the past 8 years. I knew about this, as a matter of fact I knew it was coming 4 years ago.

BlueFB_IMG_1564262845709.thumb.jpg.f40bc9072f1eba5fa44f731fbf365508.jpg

Ah sorry, with English not being my native language I misunderstood. It sounded like you stumbled upon- and where surprised about the message and didn't know if you would be involved in future plans.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MGB said:

Ah sorry, with English not being my native language I misunderstood. It sounded like you stumbled upon- and where surprised about the message and didn't know if you would be involved in future plans.

Your English is fine. My post reads like I just found out about all this. My bad.

Blue

Saturday was cracking - pub gig, but a good one, a couple of hen do's were in which helped, both sets flew past, could probably have played for another hour and not noticed.

Our singer's pal was over from the States, he was asked what he'd do to improve the sound, as he has a music degree and our singer wasn't happy with the sound. What he meant was that the new microphone he was trying wasn't working how he'd hoped, but what his American mate did was start changing my amp EQ, scooping out the mids and boosting the low end.

I wasn't thrilled with this, but, tried to take the pragmatic approach that he was out front and I wasn't, so he might be right even if it felt very counter-intuitive and sounded far muddier to how I'd normally set my sound.

Over the course of the first set I tweaked it closer to how I would normally set the EQ, but kept it inline with what he suggested - start of the second set I was very happy with the tone. It threw me off a bit at the time, but worked out well in the end. The American fellow joined us on guitar for a couple of songs towards the end and was great, best of all he helped us break down the PA at the end of the night 😁

• Like 1

Did a wedding gig at Chawton Hampshire - just 10 mins down the road for me. We got booked via contact on our Facebook page - was a bit of a surprise cos we don't do many gigs and it was quite short notice for a wedding. Our previous gig in June was at a pub in Alton; we did fine job but played to a relatively disinterested and sparse crowd, found out last night that it was the reason we got booked for the wedding, just goes to show that a disappointing gig can lead to better things.

Back to the gig..Lovely informal and relaxed vibe - gig was at a farm in a marquee set up in a field. From the first song folks were up dancing and singing. At the end of the first set we had lots of positive feedback, this is great and gets us all well up for set two. Some tunes got extended as peeps are clearly having fun - a particularly lengthy version of Monkey Man due to bride and groom madly dancing etc. 

At the end a chap introduced himself as a fellow bass player and said some lovely stuff about the band - what a fab evening!

• Like 3

Friday night at The Underground in Hanley, local for me. We were supporting Spear Of Destiny who were apparently a big deal in the 80s? We've played with them a few times, and they're pretty good

We got a very basic line check and for the first couple of songs it sounded like nothing was coming out of the PA from FOH. There was a big cheer when the sound man sorted it out. No idea what went on there but it put me in a sh*t mood. I played OK but too hard so my hands were knackered when we finished, and still are now. We went down well, sold a bunch of merch, got paid extra by the promoter for selling the most tickets (it was sold out) so all good

Saturday night we played a private party, someone's 50th. It's not something we've done before, and I wasn't looking forward to it to be honest. A couple of songs in, feeling a bit grumpy, I looked at the set list and realised I'd got another 17 songs to play yet, so I'd better cheer up. I finished my beer and opened the 2nd, and from then on I had a great night! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Friday night at The Underground in Hanley, local for me. We were supporting Spear Of Destiny who were apparently a big deal in the 80s? We've played with them a few times, and they're pretty good

We got a very basic line check and for the first couple of songs it sounded like nothing was coming out of the PA from FOH. There was a big cheer when the sound man sorted it out. No idea what went on there but it put me in a sh*t mood. I played OK but too hard so my hands were knackered when we finished, and still are now. We went down well, sold a bunch of merch, got paid extra by the promoter for selling the most tickets (it was sold out) so all good

They were having all sorts of problems the other night - a processor had gone bad which is why the top-packs weren't working correctly. Joe was having a nightmare. They managed to borrow another by the time I mixed SOD but it was a tough evening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VTypeV4 said:

They were having all sorts of problems the other night - a processor had gone bad which is why the top-packs weren't working correctly. Joe was having a nightmare. They managed to borrow another by the time I mixed SOD but it was a tough evening.

Yeh he mentioned some problem with the gear but I know F all about PAs. Why do speakers need processors? It's all beyond me! :) Good to see you anyway mate 

Edited by cheddatom

We bagged a mid-table main stage slot at what has turned out to be the final Macmillan Fest in Nottingham on Sat. It's been running for 10 years and if you play original rock or post-rock music in Notts, it's been the one to aim for. Six stages, 12 hours of music. It was a pressure gig, because not only were we aware that we were being given a shot (i.e. a better billing than we'd earned), but it was our first live outing in 4 months, following our singer's having a baby. I don't think we could have got it any better in tehe practice room without playing out for a while before this gig. The Rescue Rooms is a bigger stage than we're used to but I think we adapted pretty fast. A few lessons learned - drums are quieter on a big stage and on a riser for starters - and I did have to go walkabout at one point  to compensate for a particularly inaudible picked clean guitar intro (lousy monitor mix). And bang it was over. Appreciative crowd. We held the audience ( and they had 5 other stages to check out) and got a lot of positive feedback. Another band who'd seen us before commented that they hadn't 'got it' previously, but in a much bigger room, the huge reverb soaked sound and classical singing suddenly made sense. Did some press (a first for me - but I missed Eyre Llew's set). Had a nice Japanese meal, caught Nordic Giants in all their costumed splendour and was still in bed before 11.

Pro shot of me doing the volume pedal / delay thing in the intro

.MMF_JT.thumb.jpg.aafbd6efcb862c2ca54658b7327721ba.jpg

• Like 5