Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a gig last night for the first time in a couple of months. The Unicorn in Camden. Really busy night, played pretty reasonably and outed a new song from our forthcoming album which seemed to go down really well. Great to be playing some new material. Sound was bang on on stage and seemed pretty good out front as well. 

Really pleased. Last time we played there we had a nightmare with sound, power failure, amp failure..... Etc... :o

Top night and the other bands were great to boot. 

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

a town called malice was one I had always wanted to play live , we tried it as a band in rehearsals years ago but the drummer could never come in on it.

Our drummer wants to do it, he complains most bassists slow down by the end - but he very kindly suggested he thought I could keep up!

• Like 2

Nope i couldn't do that kind of short notice dep gig. I like to be organised.

I've done them in the past and altho i enjoyed the actual gigs i didn't enjoy the run up to them.

Respect and all credit to all that can and enjoy doing it tho.

Dave

• Like 2

Best (or the worst for stress) i've done was 34 songs in 3 weeks, no rehearsals and after first week was told majority were in different keys and some in very different keys. 

That was very stressful and probably what put me off depping since.

I did the 2 gigs on the Fri/Sat nights and all went very well but i was learning songs morning noon and evening. Was just a bit too much for my liking. To be fair i had never played any of the songs before and some i'd never heard of. 

Maybe now 5 or 6 yrs down the line i'm a bit more relaxed about it all and have more songs in my book now that i could probably get away with it now.

Problem back then was i have a history of Classic rock or Prog and the band i was working for were a 70's / 80's cover band doing clubs and caravan parks kind of thing. They also thru in a medoly of more modern covers which were the ones i'd never heard before.

Dave

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah, give it another go Dave 😀. I actually like a little bit of that nervy/stressy feeling. Just gives me a little buzz. I would hate to be in a band where I was utterly bored by the music. 

I'm with a 70's Glam covers band now but i love playing the music that got me into music in first place. I never seem to get bored with any of the songs. We've only just started gigging with the band but we have been rehearsing on/off for over a year due to other commitments and personnel changes too (keys players). Its been worth it for me tho.

I might give it another try tho if things get a bit stale with current band.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There’s a song about blow jobs? 😮

Yes, it was the Jovi song. I quite enjoy playing that one actually. At least it has a little movement in the bass line 🤘

I do not currently own a fretless bass anyway. I always end up selling the ones I buy, so am trying not to fall for that one again.

Trying to do the seagull backing vocal is tough on the Talk Talk song it has to be admitted.

Im also currently fretlessless, also sold far too many in the past....flats and chorus has to be sufficient these days (oh, another BJ reference.....)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Forgot to say that this was the very first time I have ever played SEX ON FIRE

Looked this up today - I'm not an expert on the so-called 'popular music'. I can't believe such an insipid song is so in demand! You must have been burning the midinight oil honing your chops to learn that one 🙂

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

chorus has to be sufficient these days (oh, another BJ reference.....)

They call it a Dyson. It sucks and it's expensive, but it still feels cheap...

• Haha 1

Played an afternoon gig at a local mini festival, problems with the electric cutting out locally caused problems before we went on and we followed a band so dire I can’t believe it. A ‘folk’ band in their eyes, just wow, that aside we haven’t rehearsed for a couple of months due to clashes with holidays. No time at all to soundcheck due to delays so it was start playing and adjust on the fly. I was pleased with how I played, overall we were ok but not great. It was only our second outing but nowhere near as tight as the first. Responses from the crowd were incredibly positive.

The only thing is at the mo I am not feeling a buzz with this band and don’t know why. When I play with our other band I always coming off stage absolutely high as a kite, and that’s not happening. Some of the possible song suggestions also have me worried. Hmmmm, a mixed one.

I had something 'similar' last year.  I usually like to know my set backwards and have never depped for anyone before.  A drummer I used to be in a band with a while back got in touch on 1st December to see if I could dep for their bass, who had to go to hospital for an op, on 8th.  She said it was all regular covers.  Then she took a pic of what was their current set list and I had actually only played 4 of them  before.  Quite a number I had never even heard!  One rehearsal with the band.  Yikes!  Got through it ok and, have to say, I quite enjoyed the experience.

49f2258e-5355-4708-84dd-457e3a3cd3e6.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I didn’t say any of them were particularly difficult to play 🤪. It was more the volume of songs that I had never played before and getting the structures right that took the time. And then re-doing some charts because they were in the wrong key 🙄.

I was taking a pop at the KOL not you 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That’s fine mate. 

KoL are a bit of an oddity. A couple didn’t had much of an idea about playing their instruments when they decided to be a band. The process they went through during their early days together served to produce a sounds which is definitely theirs alone. I saw them on their first tour where they pretty much played 90% of the first album and they were great. I’m definitely a fan.

I like some of their songs, but I can't understand the popularity of sex on fire, unless it's just the 'provocative' title...

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I like some of their songs, but I can't understand the popularity of sex on fire, unless it's just the 'provocative' title...

I never understand the popularity of it either, but we do it as we got hassled into it, and frankly if we didn't do it the average audience would be very unhappy. I must admit to disliking the song quite a bit but just one of those things you have to do. And on the grand scheme of it, its not the worst thing on our setlist.

Has anyone tried any daft punk songs?

We have tried and failed.  They sound so boring and samey we keey ditching them!

I play mostly worship so I had a double dose Yesterday (morning and evening) and in the Worship Minister's words, we smashed it.

I had two folks mention my playing, one said you're enjoying yourself too much and the other said I really love it when you play.  So whilst I keep it really simple and straight - there's space for improvisation so I can really play tight or really fluid.

I have gotten into playing with my thumb and palm muting mainly because I'm near the sub and oh my, palm muting really does do things to your insides.

Marvellous.

Love those playlists - I've always wanted to play Teenage Dirtbag.

Davo

38 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

We opened the main stage at Off The Tracks festival on Friday night, and then played the 2nd stage on Saturday night. The atmosphere was great, loads of people singing and dancing along, loved my new snare drum, enjoyed a few ales, brilliant!

Thanks for pulling the thread back on-topic Tom!

Saturday night I depped for a covers band in busy and appreciative pub in Belper, Derbyshire.

Two X 1 hour sets of pop, soul and rock including a few Motown numbers. I played my Swift Lite (Andyjr1515 custom build) much to the delight of my shoulder. The on-stage sound was a dream. An excellent drummer (ex-cruise liners and show-pit player) and really good monitoring made it a joy. I had to work hard and up my game but a great gig and a nice payment at the end. The band have asked me help out again so a good result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo-London said:

Has anyone tried any daft punk songs?

We have tried and failed.  They sound so boring and samey we keey ditching them!

I did just before a group folded. it sounded ok.

A lot of songs are samey. We have ditched a few songs because after doing them they are just a bit.. meh.

People keep playing Dakota and I have never heard a version of that that wasn't dull. Every group I have been in in the last few years I have managed to get it taken out the back and shot. I don't hate it, it is just like supermarket music, offensive and dull.

1 hour ago, Davo-London said:

Love those playlists - I've always wanted to play Teenage Dirtbag.

Well reminded, we started that once and it seemed to dissapear in a group of other songs, maybe time to get it back.

Sunday afternoon gig, it was a two hour drive to get there so quite an early start for a sunday. We played outdoor with The Billy Joel Experience, yes we only play Billy Joel songs. We played well and it was a nice responsive crowd but it felt a bit strange because we where separated by water.

IMG-20190901-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0027.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MGB said:

Sunday afternoon gig, it was a two hour drive to get there so quite an early start for a sunday. We played outdoor with The Billy Joel Experience, yes we only play Billy Joel songs. We played well and it was a nice responsive crowd but it felt a bit strange because we where separated by water.

IMG-20190901-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0027.jpg

That looks great. Were you on a floating platform? I'm trying to imagine what happened when one of those big site-seeing vessels went past! 🏄  😳

54 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

That looks great. Were you on a floating platform? I'm trying to imagine what happened when one of those big site-seeing vessels went past! 🏄  😳

Not sure I would like to put my speakers as the top ones on that stack!

Also wouldn't work for our band, the singer likes to walk around and dance a bit, might not work out so well

11 hours ago, MGB said:

IMG-20190901-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20190901-WA0027.jpg

I'd be scared those top cabs on each PA column would fall off if a wave appeared from a passing boat. :lol: