Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

My new blues trio had a bit of a break.  A few weeks ago our guitar player asked Steven Foster from BBC radio Suffolk along to our second gig.  To my amazement he came.  To my increased amazement he stayed to the end.  Straight after he invited us to play a slot at the Ipswich Maritime festival, which was yesterday.  A lovely day in a magnificent setting.  Sound was great - bands all day 45 mins on, 15 mins change round, all changes done on the fly.  Shame all gigs can't be like this!

This was our last number, recorded on an iPad held towards the stage :) My new Gibson LP Junior DC sounded fab on stage through the supplied Ampeg rig and immense out front.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

My new blues trio had a bit of a break.  A few weeks ago our guitar player asked Steven Foster from BBC radio Suffolk along to our second gig.  To my amazement he came.  To my increased amazement he stayed to the end.  Straight after he invited us to play a slot at the Ipswich Maritime festival, which was yesterday.  A lovely day in a magnificent setting.  Sound was great - bands all day 45 mins on, 15 mins change round, all changes done on the fly.  Shame all gigs can't be like this!

This was our last number, recorded on an iPad held towards the stage :) My new Gibson LP Junior DC sounded fab on stage through the supplied Ampeg rig and immense out front.

No wonder he asked you to play. You guys are on it! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had one last Friday in The Valleys...

It was a nasty rainy night, we drove 1.5 hours to get there. And played a pretty decent set, bar fupping up our last song (it's a cover so it didn't matter 😁) to 10 very enthusiastic people. Which I spose is better than playing to 1000 indifferent people! Then we drove home, which took a shade less than 1hr20...

Still, at least my Parker bass got an outing!

Choked Dragonffli 16-8-19 -1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It was a nasty rainy night, we drove 1.5 hours to get there. And played a pretty decent set, bar fupping up our last song (it's a cover so it didn't matter 😁) to 10 very enthusiastic people. Which I spose is better than playing to 1000 indifferent people! Then we drove home, which took a shade less than 1hr20...

A quality t-shirt there Sir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Is that a Parker bass as well. What's it like to gig with ?

Dave

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that a Parker bass as well. What's it like to gig with ?

Aye - a PB51 in spalted maple with EMG pups.

It's very comfortable, about the same weight as my Sandberg basic. It's got a fast, narrowish neck (40mm) and suits the way I play (slap, thumb, fingerstyle) with a great range of tones. Not only that but it's eye-catching!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bluewine said:

FB_IMG_1552582398504.jpg.4231b176547f3c2e6bfa0f889d860405.jpgIMG_22101.thumb.jpg.b13fcc84672090492880a5fb8aa30c2b.jpg

Full Maple Road gig at the Blondipop tonight, 8:00-12:00.

Blue

Great night for us at The Blondiepop. It was one of those gigs where I knew from the first few bars into our first song it was going to be a good night.

Only a 5 minute commute for me.

Wonderful crowd and most stayed for all three sets. I walked away with $200.00

1. Put on a good show

2. Get the money

3. Get home safely

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Did an outdoor charity festival thing with a band I occasionally dep for. 

Fairly indifferent gig but I got to play bass v loud, standing in lots of cool poses on a big stage and wearing sunglasses. 

That's me sorted then. 🤘

Job Done 😎:laugh1:

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just been sent a mobile phone video from Saturday. Apologies for the quality, but at least @Chiliwailer gets to see his old Modulus getting a work out 😀.

What a prick tease... f**king loved that bass! I've said it before, but out of the 5 that passed through my hands that one was the killer of them all. Well chuffed you're gigging it mate, nice chops too 👍 

Edited by Chiliwailer

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

He he. Sorry man. I know it was hard to let that one go. No one was more surprised than me when you rang me up asking whether I still wanted it. I did actually think about it - for roughly 10 seconds.

The sound man came up to me afterwards and said ‘that bass sounded immense’. I thought he was talking about my new 5’er which I had played for most of the gig, but no, he was talking about the Modulus 😀

Not surprised at all by that sound man’s comment, even the Aguilar compressor pedal couldn’t handle the output of that bass (with its Aguilar preamp), it’s a real sum of its parts and sounds damn fine for it. 

I’m more surprised that I’m down to one bass... and perfectly happy,  having sold two other exceptional basses this year. That might take you more than 10 seconds to process given your commendable track record 😜

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

A well attended Pride event. Moved indoors because of the weather. Tougher crowd than we thought as it was a day of tributes and we had a 30 min originals punk set, but we went down well. 

Anyone have any suggestions what we should call this 'dance'? 

Edited by urbanx

On 12/08/2019 at 16:54, NoRhino said:

I'll be at Sleazey's on the 23rd.  Mind if I say hello?

Nice meeting you last night Billy.  Sorry i couldn't talk more but had an early rise this morning to get to Aviemore Harley rally and headed off soon after getting changed and loaded last night. Got quite busy for the Quo band. Hopefully catch up with you again as we might be doing some other joint gigs with the Quo guys.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your night. I've heard the moothie you did with them went down well tho. A man of many talents sir. :lol:

All the best 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Also just back from a couple of gigs back to back in the west. Friday night we were in Tavistock, and despite the traffic, everyone made it before the gig started (only just in one or two cases, but the roads were terrible). Good venue, great audience, mixture of the curious & local and people who come to almost all our gigs. Several people there who saw us in Kent a few weeks ago. 

Saturday night we had a gig in Bristol, as once we had traveled that far, it made sense to pick up a second gig to spread the costs a little wider. Unpromising venue with no parking, but turned out to be a great gig, loads of our faithful were there, which made it more like a party than a gig. Hot night on a small stage made it tiring but we survived and I'm now back home. My wife came with me and it was good to share the experience with her, which included taking a nap in a lay-by saturday afternoon! Oh the glamour of the rock n roll life!

I used my new-to-me BF Super Compact cab, my Ashdown Rootmaster 800 amp and a Ibanez 1206 bass for both gigs, no problems or complaints about any of the gear.

• Like 2

We headlined a local festival called Vaultstock in Banbury last night. A late show for us, we started at 11pm for 90 minute set. FOH was good, from what we were told and from videos I saw, but the stage sound was poor; not enough bass in the monitors and no kick drum at all, despite many requests from us to turn it up. I like to move around a bit on stage but last night I spent most of the gig standing by our drummer watching his right foot, which killed the vibe a bit.

Good event though, big crowd, all outside and of course it was a lovely warm night. We played well, my 4003 sounded great (what I could hear of it...) and I was home with a cold beer in time for the Indycar race on the TV.

Edited by BrunoBass

Did my only August gig last night, a bit of a mixed bag.

I got no enjoyment out of the first set - quiter because of the weather and I was worried about my wife who put her back out just as I was leaving the house.

As usual, second set was better, was glad to get home though.

For the first time in ages I used an amp and cab rather than DI and IEM, that I did really enjoy and think I will do this more often, unless it's a tiny venue.

• Sad 1

Last night was my first gig in about a month, and owing to scheduling conflicts we hadn't had a rehearsal in the meantime. I think we were all expecting it to be a little bit ropey in places, and it certainly was. But we didn't let it bother us, and I think we turned out a pretty decent gig regardless. Maybe not our finest ever, but we had plenty of people dancing, and that's one of my main benchmarks.

Next gig on 14th September, but we're hoping to fit in one or two rehearsals before then. We've got some new songs that we've been planning to introduce to the set, and we would have done them last night but for the whole rehearsal issue.

S.P.