Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Tiny stage at a holiday camp. Black curtain at rear of the stage. I always move these to the side of my amp to make sure the fan is never blocked.  20 minutes into set 1 and the bass cuts out - don't panic, turn round to see said curtain covering fan at the rear of my amp. Can only assume the drummer's elbow perhaps moved the curtain back to its original position.  I assured the band that a ten minute rest to let the amp cool down will see us back in business.

Experience is a great thing to have in tricky situations eh?

Edited by NoRhino

1 hour ago, NoRhino said:

I'll be at Sleazey's on the 23rd.  Mind if I say hello?

Would be honoured. Am i using your bass amp that night by any chance :biggrin:

You do realise i don't actually look like my pic. Its just an image for the band. :lol:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

We did a Sunday afternoon Biker Bar gig, 3:00-7:00. Because of our festival and fair bookings all summer, this was our first 4 hour gig in 4 months. Playing 4 hours was a challenge for me, especially in a historic landmark building with no air conditioning.

However, we drew a good Sunday afternoon crowd with lots of familiar faces. And this place is way out in the sticks.

Tbe band sounded good .

1. Play a good show

2. Get the money

3. Get home safely

BlueFB_IMG_1561734215151.thumb.jpg.d499dabcda595f355a6c590c851c4f01.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

On 05/08/2019 at 03:38, stewblack said:

Good to see the bass player given lots of room as usual 

I'd like to give my BL credit. She knows how important being a part of our 3 out front with vocals stage plot is to me.

I've never been a " stand back by the drummer" bass player.

Blue

Rather fun gig with my new project on Saturday evening, culminating in this rather strange conversation...

Punter: Are you in a band
Me: I'm in about 3 at the last count
P: No, are you in this band?
M: yes
P: I'm a musician
M: oh, what do you play...?
P: guitar, bass and sing
M: oh that's nice...

A pause...

P: you play a Jazz....yuk...

Now what is the etiquette in this situation?

Edit: The punter was sober.....and I just drifted into the night

Edited by nightsun

1 minute ago, nightsun said:

Now what is the etiquette in this situation?

In my experience, most of the punters who come up to me at gigs to talk to me are quite, quite drunk, and often have absolutely no idea of quite how boring they are being. I usually just go to my happy place and let them work it out of their system. It can suck a bit, but I'd rather that they go away with positive memories of the night, than think of us as being surly or unpleasant.

S.P.

10 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

In my experience, most of the punters who come up to me at gigs to talk to me are quite, quite drunk, and often have absolutely no idea of quite how boring they are being. I usually just go to my happy place and let them work it out of their system. It can suck a bit, but I'd rather that they go away with positive memories of the night, than think of us as being surly or unpleasant.

S.P.

Good call. I try and do the same, with varying degrees of success though....😁

3 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

S.P.

I'm approached by punters during breaks at gigs. Most of the time they really don't have much to say. I always thank them for coming out and I tell them about upcoming gigs.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

40 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Im working on that. 😄

Blue

Me too. I‘ve been playing for a living since I was a teenager. I’m now in my early 50s and have only managed to force myself to crack a smile when a camera is pointing at me in the last couple of years. I still can’t do it while playing.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SICbass said:

Me too. I‘ve been playing for a living since I was a teenager. I’m now in my early 50s and have only managed to force myself to crack a smile when a camera is pointing at me in the last couple of years. I still can’t do it while playing.

It's not a fault, it's a feature!

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:51, dmccombe7 said:

Would be honoured. Am i using your bass amp that night by any chance :biggrin:

You do realise i don't actually look like my pic. Its just an image for the band. :lol:

Dave

Hi Dave - not my Quo trib this time. Good friends of mine though. I'll be there as a punter and to play moothie on a couple of songs.

Wig or not, I'm sure I'll find you. The bass gives it away.

Billy

• Like 1

I depped for the band I left last year, for 3 weddings over 2 weekends. They have hopes of having a ‘function band’ string to their bow. 

Together learned and played 5 new songs all for pennies , and at best could describe the performances as ‘functional’

I only did them so as not to ruin the customers day after my replacements replacement let the band down. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

I depped for the band I left last year, for 3 weddings over 2 weekends. They have hopes of having a ‘function band’ string to their bow. 

Together learned and played 5 new songs all for pennies , and at best could describe the performances as ‘functional’

I only did them so as not to ruin the customers day after my replacements replacement let the band down. 

And you're still 1 funeral short of a full anecdote...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

While this was a very noble thing for you to do, you need to stop thinking of this band as your responsibility in any way. Until you're able to do this, it's going to be a burden in the back of your mind. Move on.

S.P.

3 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

While this was a very noble thing for you to do, you need to stop thinking of this band as your responsibility in any way. Until you're able to do this, it's going to be a burden in the back of your mind. Move on.

S.P.

Nah

its not my band , they were stuck , I could help, not my responsibility at all.

I have declined depping the pub gigs offered , the pubs can sort a different band, but I couldn’t  see a wedding party left without the evenings entertainment 

6 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I couldn’t  see a wedding party left without the evenings entertainment 

Quite right, lurksalot, I would've done just the same. You're doing it to assist in what could be one of the most important days in two people's lives, not necessarily just for your old band's sake. And I hope your old band thanked you profusely.

Good karma has been created, and one day you might find it's repaid somehow,  ......hopefully !    🤗

• Like 1

Last major festival of the summer for us last weekend. A few gremlins meant the main stage had to be shut down and de rigged the night before, so we were moved to a big top style tent which worked out brilliant.

Everything was over running so this is with no sound check or monitor check.

Running my g&l lb100 tribute into a quilter 800 flat into my laney n410 with pa support.

Great gig. Finishing some amazing (but wet) festivals this year!

This cropped up on youtube from someone in the crowd who had recorded it on their phone. Headphones needed to hear the bass properly.

• Like 3

FB_IMG_1552582398504.jpg.4231b176547f3c2e6bfa0f889d860405.jpgIMG_22101.thumb.jpg.b13fcc84672090492880a5fb8aa30c2b.jpg

We played an acoustic gig last night 

It was a church event, some kind of chicken roast. We played 7-10. $450.00

Mostly elderly people. In a word the gig was pathetic. This was a gig we did as a favor, we knew it wasn't a good match.

At 9:30 we were playing to 3 members of the staff who were cleaning up. I wish I had a pic to share.

Full Maple Road gig at the Blondipop tonight, 8:00-12:00.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Sad 1