Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 hours ago, chaypup said:

Played at a business networking event in Oxford on Wednesday. Why? Why book a band that isn't background music for an event that exists solely for people to talk to each other?

Anyway, as was predicted, everyone went outside to continue talking whilst we played to the bar staff. 

Off to Wilderness festival today and then have a dep disco wedding set tomorrow so a nice busy weekend of music playing 😀

Wilderness was great, good crowd, amazing stage and crew 😀 Topped it off by getting to watch Incognito after our set.

• Like 1

Not long arrived home from an afternoon gig at Chester Bandstand. We were fortunate with the weather - several other weekend events/bands had cancelled so far this summer; and lightning is forecast for tomorrow (I received an email a few days ago asking if we were still doing it, I'd said 100% yes even if it rains, but risk of lightning we'd need to abandon/cancel).

It was a brilliant gig, helped by us having 2 other gigs quite recently so all the music was well rehearsed and everyone was able to relax, enjoy it and played well. It was a tight squeeze but good fun. Load in/out is a complete nightmare - need to park on a roundabout - but I was able to borrow a disabled blue badge which helps. Only a few pics (and a sketch) so far....

67871822_486282535470607_885173383819637

67610058_1316309205212619_17527709651771

Oh, and a video, but its on Facebook and I don't know how to post a link to it.

Edited by paul_c2
  • Like 1

Played the Summer of Love party in Kent last night. It went very well, we were on after Here & Now and was able to have a good chat with Keith from the band, very good chap. I was slightly concerned about going on straight after one of my bass playing heroes, but forgot about that once we were on stage. 

It felt good and tight (great sound and monitors) on stage, and apparently the same applied out front. We just managed to complete the set list we had prepared, a good solid 2 1/2 hours. 

I wasn't able to use my own rig (my car broke down on the way there, had to get it recovered and set off again in my wife's little car, no room for the BF Super Twin) but was lent a Fender Rumble 100 by another band - and it did the job  on stage just fine - everything was mic'd up or DI's anyway. Make s me wonder why I schlep around a 2x12 cab and an ABM head when a little combo I can lift with one finger does the job just as well!

Left home at six a.m. yesterday morning, left for a second time after the break down at midday, got back about 3 a.m. today. Four hours sleep and I'm about ready to start unloading the (little) car!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Very warm night and a great crowd all having a great time dancing to some classic Glam music.

Epic. Nice happy crowd too 🙂

Never has such a daunting display of wiggery graced a British stage since Poison won Crufts...

• Haha 3

Played a wee local festival, that’s been going for a few years and seemed quite good, yesterday afternoon. Had a great time and went down well, however a raging hangover from the night before, that I had to fight off, made slightly less enjoyable. 🙄 Lesson learned there, won’t going out the night before a gig again. Seems the older I get, the better I was. 😳

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

Played a wee local festival, that’s been going for a few years and seemed quite good, yesterday afternoon. Had a great time and went down well, however a raging hangover from the night before, that I had to fight off, made slightly less enjoyable. 🙄 Lesson learned there, won’t going out the night before a gig again. Seems the older I get, the better I was. 😳

Aye that'll teach you. At least it was an outside gig with fresh air. Not so good if a hot sweaty nightclub. :lol:

Yesterday, a bit meh. Afternoon was a gig in a campsite for someones birthday. They originally wanted us later, but we had another gig in the evening so it was 3-5:30. Set everything up and used 2 PAs as the guitarist was keen to do that. Unfortunaly remembered everything except my ipad to set up the mixr. The singer had his, but it meant I couldn't monitor it and my IEM mix was for some reason completely wrong. Half time I downloaded the iphone x18 app, which meant I could fix some issues, but frankly it is not easy to use something you arent' familiar with. The second half there was a lot more response from the crowd and by the end everyone was joining in and enjoying it. Its a shame we couldn't do later as that would have been better.

Evening, set up in a small pub we play often. I remembered the iPad, but everything isn't working, I think the iphone app really set the mixer funny, so all the EQ is everywhere. Set it up and it sounded ok but too loud. Told the guitarist to turn down, but he ignored me as usual. Went out, came back for the gig and the sound had changed horribly for some reason. Set it up as best as we could in the few minutes, my mic level was way down for some reason, the singer was feeding back but not loud.

Anyway, did the first half then the drummers dad (who is at most our gigs came up and said the sound was terrible and everything was too loud. Turned the bass amp down (to way lower where I normally have it in that pub), so did the guitarist. Played the second set. The guitarist was actually too quiet, i told him to turn up a bit but he said he didn't hear me (probably didn't understand me saying to turn it up, he has never heard that). Honestly I think we were tired, it was all a bit flat. Aparerntly the sound was great in the second half, everyone seemed happy (I was told I looked bored, but pointed out she mistook bored for tired).

Paid well, but honestly I could have been as happy to have not done it.

Bit of a weird one. Played a private garden party this afternoon. Duo gig. Vocals and me on acoustic. One lady guest had a bass in the car and sat in and the client's 5 year old grandson's drum tutor was there too and he sat in on the boy's kit.

After we'd finished, we got another gig from one of the guests😆

For a band that doesn't exist. However, we're all up for it so it's in the diary😳

Edited by leschirons
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Aye that'll teach you. At least it was an outside gig with fresh air. Not so good if a hot sweaty nightclub. :lol:

Was in a Marque and it was roasting. I kept feeling something run down the back of my leg and was so relived to find out later it was only sweat. Last song was A LongWay To The Top, so standing 3 feet from bagpipes just rounded it all off nicely. 😂

• Like 1

An 'outdoor'afternoon/early evening slot for me yesterday too. Landlady was leaving it until last minute to decide to put us on outside or inside as a thunderstorm was forecast. By the time the forecast changed we were a bit short of time to get set up so it was a bit of a rush to get everything in place. Not too late starting though and even if it was still very humid outside (in fact its in a big lean-to on side of pub so we had some shelter anyway) it was far preferable to the sweat box it would have been inside.

Best of all was our very own Len Derby popped in and actually endured both sets, bless him. We don't rehearse enough so it was sloppy in places but we got some good feedback from punters and the pub seem to like us, its one of our better paying gigs at the moment and only half an hours drive for me so happy to go back if they book us again, this was our second visit there this year.

Only real downer was our drummer announced he was leaving, actually not just leaving but retiring from drumming completely. He has had back issues and sciatica for some time and has slowly had to go on to stronger and stronger pain killers to get through gigs and has, understandably, decided enough is enough. He is the only original band member left so it will be interesting to see how things pan out. Good drummers are tough to find. He says he will carry on as long as it takes to find a replacement and we only have 4 or 5 more gigs this year so I'm suggesting we only take bookings for next year from now on and use the downtime between gigs (once we are out of the summer hols) to scout round for a replacement.

Edited by KevB
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, KevB said:

An 'outdoor'afternoon/early evening slot for me yesterday too. Landlady was leaving it until last minute to decide to put us on outside or inside as a thunderstorm was forecast. By the time the forecast changed we were a bit short of time to get set up so it was a bit of a rush to get everything in place. Not too late starting though and even if it was still very humid outside (in fact its in a big lean-to on side of pub so we had some shelter anyway) it was far preferable to the sweat box it would have been inside.

Best of all was our very own Len Derby popped in and actually endured both sets, bless him. We don't rehearse enough so it was sloppy in places but we got some good feedback from punters and the pub seem to like us, its one of our better paying gigs at the moment and only half an hours drive for me so happy to go back if they book us again, this was our second visit there this year.

Only real downer was our drummer announced he was leaving, actually not just leaving but retiring from drumming completely. He has had back issues and sciatica for some time and has slowly had to go on to stronger and stronger pain killers to get through gigs and has, understandably, decided enough is enough. He is the only original band member left so it will be interesting to see how things pan out. Good drummers are tough to find. He says he will carry on as long as it takes to find a replacement and we only have 4 or 5 more gigs this year so I'm suggesting we only take bookings for next year from now on and use the downtime between gigs (once we are out of the summer hols) to scout round for a replacement.

Too modest Kev. You played a good, solid set. A very enjoyable afternoon.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/08/2019 at 09:22, FinnDave said:

Make s me wonder why I schlep around a 2x12 cab and an ABM head when a little combo I can lift with one finger does the job just as well!

I'm actually wondering about that too. I generally just want to hear my bass on stage and if thru PA its DI'd anyway so its really just a basic monitor for me..

Only thing is i've tried smaller combos and they just don't cut it on stage for me. My Mesa head and 212 cab seem to fil the stage more same at rehearsals when i take it. The studio Ampeg 810 and Aguilar SC500 amps never seem to cut thru the mix the same way or fill the room.

Might look at the Mesa Subway lightweight gear now that i've tried Mesa i'm a convert. Expensive tho but that new WD800 amp looks and sounds the biz on youtube anyway.

Dave

Just got back from an afternoon set at Down On The Farm Festival near Hereford...

It was the first time out for my Markbass 4x10/2x10 stack - band were impressed with how well it cut through.

Not only that but there were only a couple of minor booboos, and a bass player from another band came up afterwards and complimented my playing (doesn't happen often!), saying as well that we sounded like Rage Against The Machine blended with Jamiroquai! Eek!

Choked DownOnTheFarm11-8-19.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Just got back from an afternoon set at Down On The Farm Festival near Hereford...

It was the first time out for my Markbass 4x10/2x10 stack - band were impressed with how well it cut through.

Not only that but there were only a couple of minor booboos, and a bass player from another band came up afterwards and complimented my playing (doesn't happen often!), saying as well that we sounded like Rage Against The Machine blended with Jamiroquai! Eek!

Choked DownOnTheFarm11-8-19.jpg

And all while doing a splendid Patrick Stewart impression , make it so dude ^_^

• Haha 1

We played there ^ on Friday night and it was ace! Proper professional sound crew, I got to use my own drums, and Bob from Terminal Rage helped me out with my gear afterwards. Brilliant night! The drive home was a bit of a nightmare - got to bed around 3, up again at 7 as I had a rock 'n' roll band recording in my studio all weekend. 

• Like 2