Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Up in front of a couple of thousand folks last night at the Beer on the Wye festival in Hereford. Last on, the crowd were in fine form having seeming sampled quite extensively from Great Britain's finest breweries 😂

WHAT a hoot. Did an hour and a half set finishing at 11pm and the crowd wanting more. Due to the curfew, we couldn't oblige unfortunately but we'd have loved to have carried on. One of those "wow, that was really special" gigs.

We were preceded by a great band called Fired Up. Brilliant set, if the bass player is on here, terrific work fellas.

66599951_10214960461225712_2971110684332392448_n.jpg.76014c33beb1b141d49f2c5f494dac60.jpg

66465737_10157871128847923_8026334303220662272_n.thumb.jpg.63ec04a8151006677a1ab5db1b1744a9.jpg

66194887_10214960459665673_3227063268858134528_n.jpg.0a41ceaa148818725912a75350d81f63.jpg

66061549_10157871360742923_5740883339166875648_n.thumb.jpg.6026453b5bdacd921ecc75ee4db4cbd0.jpg

I played a gig last night.

Yes, I'll give you a few moments to compose yourselves...I do actually gig :)

Bit of a special occasion - an old friend of mine from university days reformed our old band for his 50th birthday party. I'd lost touch with him until about 2 years ago and I'd not seen the other guys at all for about 30 years. No one could locate the drummer so the birthday boy's brother was sitting in.

We did two practices with drum machine tracks over the last year or so as the drummer's been away...drumming.

So Saturday afternoon's rehearsal was the first time we'd all played together properly, which went very well...thankfully !

As did the gig, absolute blinder, everyone played fantastically, the crowd loved it (and I got to play through my big rig, which hasn't ever actually been gigged so far...it sounded awesome)

I loved every second of it, especially playing with a really good drummer, which I've not done in far too long. He was very complimentary about my playing, which was very sweet of him...it's not often I get told by a Mercury Prize-nominated jazz drummer that I'm doing the right thing :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Doesn’t get much better than that. Gig ticked all the right boxes for you and serious compliments.

Well done

Thanks, I'm still buzzing to be honest - I've not played a gig that went so well in many a moon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two this weekend, both made more difficult than they needed to be by deps who didn't read messages properly.

Saturday was a 40th birthday in a bar in Burgess Hill, with a guitar dep who for some reason thought he was only playing rhythm, despite me pointing out to him in the messages before hand he'd need lead tones and might need delays or reverbs for his solos if he used that sort of thing. Went pretty well, he's a good player but clearly wasn't comfortable with the whole set; I will concede me telling him the wrong key for a couple of songs didn't help....

Sunday was an open air event in one of the big local parks organised by the council; this time it was a drum dep who thought he only needed breakables when he needed a full kit. Fortunately his parents lived across town, so was able to run home and get the rest of the kit. Once he was set up, it was great, I've played with him in the past and he's a really good drummer. 

That was a great gig, about 2k people there, a lot of them up and dancing despite it being a hot day, really enjoyed it.

Edited by Graham

It was last Sunday afternoon but the pics have just been uploaded, we played a Summer Fair and it went really well. We had 4 hours to fill and neither singer could make it (the songs with vocals tend to be much easier and less demanding) so it was a lot of playing for the wind instrument players, but we really pulled it off and got very positive feedback.

66301813_2181428898763239_3356969974974382080_o.jpg

We just had a rehearsal tonight to iron out any issues (there weren't really any....) and we're playing again this Friday. For us its a first to do two back-to-back but it makes a lot of sense because the same effort in prep. can be utilised twice!

Edited by paul_c2
  • Like 2

Odd one last night. Filled in at short notice at a birthday party in a pub, original band had to cancel. 

I ended up as the photographer when they spotted my camera. Several guests joined us to sing on various songs and eventually decided they liked that so much that we were stopped so they could indulge in some karaoke for a bit. 

Still, I got paid. 

We played a charity gig at a school, sadly we had to play later as the guitarist took an evening job and can't start things until 9, by which time the crowd had gone down a lot, but those remaining appreciated it. 

But seriously our drummer needs a gag for such gigs, his word choice is not safe for school.

it was a religious school,  it as the singer was still trying to get his sax connected we thought we would start with a song the drummer sings, so we started with highway to hell. Seemed to go down fine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

We played a charity gig at a school, sadly we had to play later as the guitarist took an evening job and can't start things until 9, by which time the crowd had gone down a lot, but those remaining appreciated it. 

But seriously our drummer needs a gag for such gigs, his word choice is not safe for school.

it was a religious school,  it as the singer was still trying to get his sax connected we thought we would start with a song the drummer sings, so we started with highway to hell. Seemed to go down fine!

One of my bands plays originals which loosely fit the description of folk music. As such we often find ourselves playing in family friendly environments. 

Every other word of the BL's songs seems to be either 🤬 or 🤬 or 🤬. It's hilarious watching him attempting self censorship on the fly. Especially as he has enough trouble recalling the original lyric most of the time. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

One of my bands plays originals which loosely fit the description of folk music. As such we often find ourselves playing in family friendly environments. 

Every other word of the BL's songs seems to be either 🤬 or 🤬 or 🤬. It's hilarious watching him attempting self censorship on the fly. Especially as he has enough trouble recalling the original lyric most of the time. 

97% of all folk songs are about death or deflowering to start with...

We played another gig last night. The band is still young, in terms of gigging experience and this was the first one I'd organised which was paid (the others being free or collection buckets, eg sophisticated 'busking'). The band were really professional and organised, the hosts were a bit disorganised but we just worked around it with no real issues. We have one more summer gig, then a little break, then a big step up with a proper event gig (and proper pay rate) in October.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

We played one of those all-day charity festivals a few weeks ago, and were asked for a rock set. We put Killing In The Name in, specifically to watch the singer having to bowdlerise the lyrics on the fly...'Flip you I won't do what you tell me' and 'Motherfluffer' don't have quite the impact of the original, but it was worth it to watch everyone laughing...including most of the kids 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I do like it when you go to a new venue and you are greeted by an enthusiastic resident PA Engineer who has great gear, knows what he’s doing and can sound check a band a five minutes flat - and get it right.

So, as you may have guessed, a fabulous gig at Fat Lil’s in Witney. Most of us stayed there overnight, so it was nice to unwind with a few drinks afterwards. Looking forward to returning next year.

5E50953D-4442-4D5B-AA80-EDAC0A178D4D.jpeg

4019A1AF-829A-4805-B565-E4FCDDEAD84A.jpeg

looks like a great gig. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

We played one of those all-day charity festivals a few weeks ago, and were asked for a rock set. We put Killing In The Name in, specifically to watch the singer having to bowdlerise the lyrics on the fly...'Flip you I won't do what you tell me' and 'Motherfluffer' don't have quite the impact of the original, but it was worth it to watch everyone laughing...including most of the kids 😀

Reminds me of when Biffy Clyro played it at a festival the BBC broadcast. They didn't sing any of the radio unfriendly words, so the crowd filled in for them.

3.am. just in (again) too old for all this. 

Played the French national gliding championships final competition day and trophy awards. (Spanish lady won overall but appears to be a French national) Outdoors, nice and warm but not too hot. Gig went well but bloody guitarist blamed me for starting a song in the wrong key!! I seem to be the ONLY one who remembers it's  in C#😆 He uses a Digitech whammy pedal to transpose keys. Lazy git, and forgot he hadn't  turned it on and came in on D.

Seems the norm over here is that the punters want to really start partying when you're  three numbers away from finishing😳

Still, good payer, and got next year booked again.