Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Two gigs this weekend. First was a outbuilding in a football club. Singer was outside, we were inside. The sound through the PA was ok although I had to put the bass drum and the bass through the PA, and the red lights were lighting on the beat and it sounded great out the front but at the back it was a horrible mush. Not so bad as a gig but I didn't feel it, it was cold (because it was only June 21st after all), and I just wasn't into it. Then in the last half an hour, everyone came in the building and were really into it, so after ignoring us for 2 hours we had the typical 'one more song' thing for about 4 songs. Then the singer and the guitarist sat down chatting to people while me and the drummer broke down, as is normal (to be fair, the singer normally helps setting up and the guitarist never does anything). So I broke everything down, put it in the car said goodbye to the drummer and went home.

Next day, the singer had got the message. So he helped set stuff up. Guitarist obviously sat his gear up and then spent the setup time playing songs at volume while we moved round him setting it up.

Much better gig though, very interactive crowd as always in a tiny pub. There was a punchup between two women near the bar, then some women came over in between me and the band (it is a split event), so close that she kept bashing herself on the head with the bass which was irritating. Then after bashing her once more, in a middle of a song, she tried telling me stuff pulling me to listen while I was trying to play a ska song and sing, and once she finally realised by going the other side of me and pulling me backwards that I couldn't hear because I had an IEM, she pulled it out! I still couldn't hear her and knew I didn't want to anyway so I yelled at her to go away. Turns out she wanted to tell me that she was in the fight because some other women wanted her to get out of the way, a snippet of information that I had absolutely no interest in even if I hadn't been playing.

Marred the end of the gig a bit but it was still good. After the gig I started putting stuff away, I started undoing the PA and the singer rushed over and said 'no, let me get that! :D

So the singer was helpful packing up, and the drummer had a friend with him who was also very helpful. And at least the guitarist didn't get in the way too much.

21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Then the singer and the guitarist sat down chatting to people while me and the drummer broke down, as is normal (to be fair, the singer normally helps setting up and the guitarist never does anything). So I broke everything down, put it in the car said goodbye to the drummer and went home.

Next day, the singer had got the message. So he helped set stuff up. Guitarist obviously sat his gear up and then spent the setup time playing songs at volume while we moved round him setting it up.

After the gig I started putting stuff away, I started undoing the PA and the singer rushed over and said 'no, let me get that! :D

So the singer was helpful packing up, and the drummer had a friend with him who was also very helpful. And at least the guitarist didn't get in the way too much.

Sorry you had that nonsense with soft cow from the audience.

Why on earth do you tolerate the guitarist?

On 20/06/2019 at 13:55, Bluewine said:

6/22/2019 Pearl of Canton 7:00-10:00

Blue

This was an acoustic gig. New restaurant, the owners wanted to try live music 

A conplete waste of time, playing to a small uninterested bar crowd. However, lots of stuff comped and good pay .

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Hi,

We played the Tackley Beer Festival Saturday night. Good fun gig.

P.A. guy had real problems as he had been sent on his own and didn't know the rig! Someone from the crowd came and helped out - saved the show! Can't say better than that.

When packing away I managed to fall off the stage, no harm done. I didn't think I had had that much to drink (one pint) must have been stronger than I thought.

Regards,

Doug

img_0309.jpg

Did a wedding this weekend. First one for this band. I tried but they got themselves wound up and over thought it. Inevitable disappointment when surprise surprise no one really cared much what we did. 

Second half singer loosened up, did what she does best and got people dancing. Junked some of the stuff she was going to play and replaced with those wedding staples which predictably went down well. 

Seems to me  Play That Funky Music and Superstition are as much a part of a wedding as cake and photographs. No one is passionate about them but everyone expects them to be there. 

Pub gig without enough ventillation and typically shoved into a corner next to the drum kit. Felt distinctly odd half way through second set, thought I was borderline fainting but muddled through. Cant remember much about the gig really except that I was a bit concerned that the singer had redone the set list to cram all the new songs we've barely worked up in rehearsal into the second set instead of splitting them over both sets. He then whatsapped everyone next day saying he didn't think it was good putting all the new stuff together as though he'd had no say in it, bizarre. As the band doesn't seem to be first priority non-day job for anyone else we can't even timetable in another rehearsal before next gig to fix things. Ah well.

Depped on Saturday night with a bunch of mates at the fete de la musique. Loved it. Singer is a complete nutter. Jumping all over the place, out in the crowd, it tired me out just watching him. Ultimate front man. We even made the newspapers😆

received_410099269595443.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You guys have started a fashion movement

We like the band to look like those guys who cause old ladies to cross the street, who get pointed out by mothers as an example of what will happen if you don't eat your greens/do your homework/take notice of Catechism classes, who hang around on the Rows in Chester spitting on American tourists' hats...

• Haha 1

Wedding gig in a bar/pub in Boothstown*, actually the publican's wedding, so it was full on. Not too much to remark upon, other than the ongoing delight of lovely quiet inears, and the host offering us another £50 each to play another 5 songs, but the evening saw the debut of our BL's new Country-inspired** song. Rather than describe it, I'll simply quote his intro:

'My missus has been asking me for ten years to write her a song, because all my other songs are about my exes. So I have. This one's called 'Who needs Google when your wife knows everything?'...

* For anyone not familiar with this charming hamlet nestled hard by the East Lancs Road, if I said the buffet included a large steel tureen crammed with doner kebab meat, you'll have an indicator...

** He's discovered the subgenre of Comedy Country (starting for him with 1978's delightful Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn duet 'You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly') , and he's all about it now...

• Haha 3

I know it's  3.20 a.m but I'll still call it tonight's gig. Outdoor job. Went down well but hell, the heat. Started at 9.pm. and it was still 34 degrees. We were soaked after the first couple of numbers. I personally  downed 3 litres of water over the evening. Another two gigs Sat and Sun and three more in the week. No sign of it getting cooler at the moment. 

• Sad 2

Played a standard pub gig on Friday in Bicester then today at a family festival in the grounds of Blenheim Palace. What a startling view! Always nice to play outside but it does test your rig when there is no FOH support for the bass. 

The sound guy appeared to be suffering from sunstroke, he was certainly very red, I hope he's OK. Made for an interesting afternoon/early evening. 

Here's a snap shot of our view as we played IMG_20190629_204006.thumb.jpg.006e864d17d84803bc1fbb4b1127f814.jpg

• Like 5

Played our last gig tonight with our band.

Inside and with old fashioned lighting, no led lights so on top of it already being very hot the lights almost killed us.

Was a good gig nevertheless, all that remains now are sweet memories.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1