Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 17/06/2019 at 14:38, leschirons said:

As you say, goes with the territory.  Band performance wise, it was great. We really played well but sometimes, an audience just don't want to get going.

Luckily, it was very well paid and we got great feedback from the client and, another gig from a guest but it still doesn't make you feel like you delivered the goods.

Agreed,

We have 3 gigs coming up this weekend, hopefully we can redeem ourselves.

Blue

Busy weekend, triple header;

6/21/2019 
7:30pm - 10pm Bank Rd, Oconomowoc Stone Bank Blues Fest

6/22/2019 Pearl of Canton 7:00-10:00

6/23/2019 1pm - 2pm 

Cedar Creek Park Portland Rd, Cedarburg Paramount Blues Bash

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is this the same Blue who was down in the dumps about having no gigs a month or so ago 🙂

Yes, but it might have been a little more than a month ago.

I'm good for the summer. However, that's only because I've been included in all the acoustic bookings.

Blue

FB_IMG_1560207291970.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

On 17/06/2019 at 16:11, Stub Mandrel said:

Och! I couldn't stand on concrete for four hours! You need a foam pad!

Our seven piece swing/Dixie band had a four hour gig last Friday at the official opening of a small craft brewery. We were set up in the actual brewing part of the building about ten feet from a canning machine that was running most of the time we were there. Concrete floor, steel walls and ceiling and a large industrial garage door open to the parking lot/patio and anywhere from 50 to 100+ beer drinkers there to celebrate the opening and try new beers. The background noise was unbelievably loud so we just went ahead and played two sets of swing(me on DB) and then two sets of Dixie where I switch to banjo.When the BL called the tunes we had to shout them along to everyone and then hope for the best.The Bose PA we use is absolutely wonderful and we could actually hear ourselves just using it as a monitor.We are experienced enough to let the PA do the work and we didn't try to compete with the noise, we were there as background music not to play a concert.Unusual way to set up the band but we were told where to play so we had no choice and the whole building had a concrete floor so there was no other place that would have been better. From what I heard from people I knew at the gig the balance was pretty good and we could be heard.

Crazy gig but it went over well and we even got an encore, amazing since most of the audience were between about 25 and 40, not the usual demographic for our type of music. We were well paid, got a couple of beers and the owners said they will probably book us back and we got some good exposure.

SAM_4255.JPG

20190614_200802_resized.jpg

15 hours ago, Staggering on said:

Crazy gig but it went over well and we even got an encore, amazing since most of the audience were between about 25 and 40, not the usual demographic for our type of music. We were well paid, got a couple of beers and the owners said they will probably book us back and we got some good exposure.

SAM_4255.JPG

20190614_200802_resized.jpg

Sounds like a success to me.

Blue

Victims of the dreaded French rain again last night and looks to be the same for tonight. Shame, as this weekend (specifically yesterday) is the national Fete de la musique so there are gigs all weekend, all over the country.

Luckily for all the other bands playing in France, it only rains at our gigs😆

Awesome gig yesterday evening at the Farmyard Bikers rally in Helmsley, North Yorkshire. This is one of big ones at about 6-7000 punters and loads of bands over 4 stages and 2 days.

Great weather and enthusiastic crowd, even had time for a beer after our spot and watched a couple of bands.

Loved the backstage request.....lol

9DD91F6A-EF84-4445-97B4-D5857A016A97.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 20/06/2019 at 13:55, Bluewine said:

Busy weekend, triple header;

6/21/2019 
7:30pm - 10pm Bank Rd, Oconomowoc Stone Bank Blues Fest

Blue

Nice event, nice weather, nice tent and wooden flat bed truck stage. Sound and lighting provided and good pay.

We got there at 5:00 when the first band went on, the place was empty. By 7:30 right before we went on the place was packed.

The band was loud but we were good last night. This crowd is there specifically for live music.

Acoustic gig tonight at The Pearl of Canton in West Bend 

Blue

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Just back from a local (festival) gig... now off to a pub gig.   Oddly the pub gig is going to be paying way more than the festival but I reckon the festival gig might be the better experience; we shall see.  :)  

SS NL 190622 (7).JPG

Really copping the Glam look.....think you’ve just about persuaded me to keep my Dano.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, martthebass said:

Awesome gig yesterday evening at the Farmyard Bikers rally in Helmsley, North Yorkshire. This is one of big ones at about 6-7000 punters and loads of bands over 4 stages and 2 days.

Great weather and enthusiastic crowd, even had time for a beer after our spot and watched a couple of bands.

Loved the backstage request.....lol

9DD91F6A-EF84-4445-97B4-D5857A016A97.jpeg

Some friends of mine were playing there Mart, The Snake Oil Charmers. Don’t know if you saw them? 

Played our first gig since April, for various reasons. We had only had two practices in the interim and were playing in a pub we'd never been to before.

The guitarist broke a string at the start of the first set. The drummer knackered his hi hat pedal halfway through the second. The singer had laryngitis so told us just before we went on that we needed to help out by singing some choruses that I'd never sung before even in practice.

Despite all that it went pretty well, but it was a weird night!

Not bad last night, first half was pretty quiet, but then I think that was the weather.

Towards the end of the night someone requested some Metallica, I think they'd been up to Twickenham the other night, so we started Sandman.

Now I've not done this for a while, but sometimes when we play Metallica I do Rob Trujullo's crab walk, and last night I thought I'd bring it out.

What a mistake. I need to learn I CANNOT do this without stretching first.

When I stood up after the song kicked it, my thighs screamed at me and walking around was okay but occasionally they let themselves be known.

Then, I almost fell out the car when i got home as my legs weren't working right and I struggled to get up the stairs. WHY DID I DO THIS? 😂

Getting out of bed this morning was also interesting 😁

I guess this is being in your mid-30s.....😂😂😂

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, casapete said:

Some friends of mine were playing there Mart, The Snake Oil Charmers. Don’t know if you saw them? 

I didn’t mate, just caught a couple of bands, Exhibit A and Big Day. Great event, hope to do it again next year.

Edited by martthebass

Our first wedding gig (apart from the L/G's own wedding, which doesn't really count 🙂 ) Venue was a lovely pub up in the Clent Hills, surrounded by beautiful countryside. Weather perfect.  Really easy load in.  Very nice Landlord and Landlady.

There was no-one at all in the bar when we started playing as they were all outside enjoying the evening sunshine.  But to our surprise and delight, loads of them came in and started dancing as soon as we struck up.  We had been a bit concerned that a lot of our set is not the usual wedding gig material (we do late 50's/early 60's covers), but we had to play everything we know as we've only got just enough to cover 2 x 45 mins, haha. It went down really well. 

Some of the old songs we do are a bit obscure, but they are such cracking songs that they get everyone moving anyway.  For example 'Should We Tell Him?' and 'Just in Case' by the Everley Brothers.  If you don't know 'Just in Case', check it out. It's about being drafted to the Vietnam war, so not exactly wedding appropriate, but nobody listens to the lyrics anyway, haha.

So it all went down brilliantly. Many people afterwards coming up and thanking us. One lovely woman gave me a big hug and told me she's a music teacher and she loved what we all did.  We all felt really chuffed. 

Groom was chatting to us as we were packing up, saying what a lovely day it had been, so relaxed, all the guests enjoying themselves, lovely atmosphere etc etc. Just then an almighty row starts up in the other bar. Sounds like two women and one bloke all having a massive go at each other. Screaming, shouting, cursing and dreadful verbal abuse.  People start looking worried and ushering children away.

Then these three people spill out into the road still screaming and shouting. Turns out... it was the bar staff!!!  Apparently someone had accused someone else of not pulling their weight and it had all kicked off.  I think everyone was a bit relieved that it wasn't actually any of the guests, but sadly it did take the shine off the evening for the happy couple. I hope they get a bit of a discount to compensate for it!

• Thanks 1