Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 03/06/2019 at 09:35, Stub Mandrel said:

I have a dream... and that's to be in a band that does what Hawkwind did at the Isle of Wight festival - just turn up with a flatbed lorry, park near the entrance and play free music...

I love the idea of a random 'pop up psychedelic band' .

I’m in.

• Like 1

Had a gig at the No.1 in Cleethorpes on Saturday night, great crowd & great night. My band play a mix of covers with some original material thrown in, it's nice to see the crown dancing to the originals.

Was playing the Squier VM that I bought of Pentode on here for the whole gig, what a great bass that is, I need to find out what make/gauge strings are on it, I think I'm a convert to flatwounds on a fretted bass. It was also the first outing at a gig for the Line 6 wireless set up, so I had to play in the crowd for a couple of songs (see the picture!!!)

No 1.jpg

• Like 3

Back to our favourite venue, the Old Abbey Tap in south Mcr. They've been good to us and the numbers are always small (it's tiny) but vibe is always good. I'd set up the gig as a double bill with the Gus Glynn Band who were coming up from Nantwich and happy to play for pizza and beer rather than their usual £. Got there well early with bass and rig (MarkBass 400 combo) for the barman to say "Nobody told me there was live music tonight - but you're here so you might as well play!" He then went on to say "I'm the sound engineer, I'll help you set up and soundcheck." Star. 

It was on their FB page with a fair number of peeps "interested", but there was more or less nobody there, apart from one local whose appreciation became more annoying as the night went on. Still it was a fun night, the pizza was excellent, and it was a good warmup for our first professional gig on Sunday. I was worried GGB might have been unhappy, but they seemed to enjoy it too and were the first to say "Lets do this again!"

My GMR 5 and the MarkBass sounded good together 🙂 Even my higher-pitched lines with lots of sustain and slide held up well in the mix. On a couple of songs in C or D I play octave switches between rooting on the A and low B string and the contrast was dramatic. Happy cat 🙂 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:59, w... said:

My band play a mix of covers with some original material thrown in, it's nice to see the crown dancing to the originals.

sometimes the punters are brave enough to actually dance to a tune they haven't heard a thousand times, other punters just don't notice hehe.

Commonly at our gigs in the 80s 

Punter " was that an original song?"

Singer "depends on whether you liked it or not"

Maple Road

6/15 Saturday Night
6:30pm - 10pm Regner Park Biergarten
800 N Main Street, West Bend

It's an all day rain or shine festival, I think we have the last time slot.

It's a 5 minute trip for me. Unfortunately these smaller local events don't seem to draw many people.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Blue

FB_IMG_1560492289272.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Maple Road

6/15 Saturday Night

It's a 5 minute trip for me. Unfortunately these smaller local events don't seem to draw many people.

Blue

FB_IMG_1560492289272.jpg

Hey, your new drummer is a proper football fan (none of that American nonsense) - that's promising!

Edited by peteb
  • Haha 1

We did a last-minute fill-in supporting Hereford punks Terminal Rage at a great little bar called Reet Petite in Leominster last night.

The venue is, funnily enough, quite small so with 30-40 people in there it was packed.

We slightly speeded up everything, ran songs together, had between songs banter only twice so squeezed everything into 39 minutes. Our brand of shouty girl with a very occasional and unexpected melody, plus Hendrix-ey guitar feedback, funky-metal drums and me on oft-slapped synth-wah bass went down very well. None of us even got stabbed by any of the spikey or Mohican-ed crowd!

Last night was a weather disaster. This particular ville always puts on its  Fete de la musique a week earlier so as not to clash with a nearby large town. Gutted for them. It absolutely poured down from start to finish so basically, a well paid rehearsal for tonight's gig. No fun playing to a couple of hundred people 60 metres away huddled under canvas marquees.

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Maple Road

6/15 Saturday Night

Blue

FB_IMG_1560492289272.jpg

All the best with it Blue.

Dave

Done my first gig in 20 years yesterday, outdoor stage at a local Highland games festival, doing some covers. Strange sort of experience as the weather was very, very windy, cold and the audience was about 50 yards away in a beer tent. Still, done now and we have a gig a month over the next 4 months, so it might just be worth doing. 

• Like 4

Last night was a bit rubbish TBH, we played fine, but the venue was dead for the first half (true for the whole village apparently), got busier in the second, but still far from busy.

We were good, but it sure is hard work when there's not an audience to play off

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 18:02, Bluewine said:

Maple Road

6/15 Saturday Night

Blue

FB_IMG_1560492289272.jpg

Not great, larger stage which always is a challenge for us. I wass not happy with my playing either.4 hours was rough.

Decent size crowd marginally engaged with us.

Oh well

Blue

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not great, larger stage which always is a challenge for us. I wass not happy with my playing either.4 hours was rough.

Decent size crowd marginally engaged with us.

Oh well

Blue

I get it Blue. Same for us. Private party, 120 people, and it was like they'd invited everyone in France that had no interest in music😆

Hard work to get them going and as usual, ignore you most of the night and then at 2am, shout for more when we're all dead on our feet and want to go home. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some audiences just see the band as a jukebox or backng music for an event or night out. 

Its a difficult one and can dent your enthusiasm when playing if you get little or no response.

Always plan to play after they are all sozzled. Job Done. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

I've had a really varied few gigs this last week. Started with a tea dance style event for a 50th wedding anniversary in a swish hotel in East Yorkshire. We brought along a great trumpet player / singer who really helped entertain the audience, so we went down really well. Next two nights were with my regular band doing theatres including the great Burnley Mechanics. Sold out crowd, great venue and crew and audience well up for it. Saturday I was with my guitarist partner playing in our acoustic duo at a birthday party in an old vicarage near Leeds. Played in the dining room to all 16 of the guests! Bit odd at first, but lovely people who were loving the cocktail bar provided a lot, so they were all up dancing after desserts and coffee! Then last night (Sunday) it was the duo again, but this time in a great new venue situated on West Pier in Scarborough harbour called The Lookout. Only small, but no problem. Sold out crowd enjoyed food before we played, nice intimate atmosphere with great staff and views over the bay. Finished by 9pm, two more bookings in the diary so happy days.

IMG_3252.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leschirons said:

I get it Blue. Same for us. Private party, 120 people, and it was like they'd invited everyone in France that had no interest in music😆

Hard work to get them going and as usual, ignore you most of the night and then at 2am, shout for more when we're all dead on our feet and want to go home. 

And when your up there playing Savoy Brown and Robin Trower it becomes even more of a challenge to connect with a family crowd.

It all goes with the territory. I'm certainly not going to turn the money down.

To my credit I went into the gig with a good attitude, had fun and left with a good attitude. That's not easy, especially when your physically beat up from playing on concrete for 4 hours.

IMG_20190615_172316320.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

And when your up there playing Savoy Brown and Robin Trower it becomes even more of a challenge to connect with a family crowd.

It all goes with the territory. I'm certainly not going to turn the money down.

To my credit I went into the gig with a good attitude, had fun and left with a good attitude. Especially feeling physically beat playing on concrete for 4 hours.

IMG_20190615_172316320.jpg

As you say, goes with the territory.  Band performance wise, it was great. We really played well but sometimes, an audience just don't want to get going.

Luckily, it was very well paid and we got great feedback from the client and, another gig from a guest but it still doesn't make you feel like you delivered the goods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, leschirons said:

As you say, goes with the territory.  Band performance wise, it was great. We really played well but sometimes, an audience just don't want to get going.

Luckily, it was very well paid and we got great feedback from the client and, another gig from a guest but it still doesn't make you feel like you delivered the goods.

Agreed,

We have 3 gigs coming up this weekend, hopefully we can redeem ourselves.

Blue

• Like 1