Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played at a lovely little pub in the middle of nowhere around Princes Risborough...marquee in the garden with real ale in kegs, plenty of punters (where DID they come from?) and enthusiastic too.  Had a great night even when we tripped out the whole pub during the 3rd song (had a bit of an impromptu sing along organised by the singist until somebody reset the breakers) and the lead guitarist had a lead go pfft near the end, cue other guitarist playing intro to Stairway to a huge cheer while he sorted it, and panic look from singer cos he couldn't remember the lyrics lol. 

Got another gig in July out of it too at a pub in Henley....good times :)

2 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Played at a lovely little pub in the middle of nowhere around Princes Risborough...marquee in the garden with real ale in kegs, plenty of punters (where DID they come from?) and enthusiastic too.  Had a great night even when we tripped out the whole pub during the 3rd song (had a bit of an impromptu sing along organised by the singist until somebody reset the breakers) and the lead guitarist had a lead go pfft near the end, cue other guitarist playing intro to Stairway to a huge cheer while he sorted it, and panic look from singer cos he couldn't remember the lyrics lol. 

Got another gig in July out of it too at a pub in Henley....good times :)

Ooh just found a pic on FB

61193688_10219902314729872_7286149646701821952_n.jpg

Actually yesterday afternoon. I was with a four piece, clarinet, keyboard, bass, drums. We played for a private party of 19 posh people on a Thames river boat, capacity 100, departing from the Compleat Angler at Marlow. Hotel people were very nice, waiving the £10 parking charge and charging only £3.20 for a lime and soda. When the host arrived there as a bit of a row because he was expecting a six piece trad band - usual agency pink torpedo up. But once we got under way everyone was happy, probably aided and abetted by copious amounts of champagne served all afternoon.

The gig was fro1.00 to 6.00 - yes, that’s five hours. But we took it steady, not allowed to play in locks and a great afternoon was had by all. At the end the host bunged us a £150 tip and his gorgeous young partner insisted on energetically kissing all the band with great enthusiasm. And I got seconds.Whats not to like.

I got up at 8 this morning fresh as.

• Like 2

I did a little private garden party last night backing to a main road, we were supposed to have a full rockset but as I researched the location I suggested an acoustic version of the set. It turned into a bit of a jam but it worked really well with no upset neighbours and a relatively early dart.

Having left the band back in November, this is the 3rd gig this month Ive done with them as my replacement has been spooked by a spam email doing the rounds purporting to be HMRC asking for £1000 to settle the tax owed from band appearances.

I have declined the pub gigs they have booked in , but I will cover the parties and weddings , these are committed so it would be bad form to let these people down.

Edited by lurksalot

45 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

spam email doing the rounds purporting to be HMRC asking for £1000 to settle the tax

Just on this, if your turnover (not profit) from minor activities (selling at car boots, amazon commission, playing gigs) is no more than £1000 you don't have to pay any tax. for a typical 4-piece that's £4,000 a year.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

Steam Railway, Swindon. Nice venue, friendly staff, punters usually up for a good time. 

A bit quiet due to the bank holiday but those present enjoyed themselves thoroughly. 

Only blot on an otherwise fun evening: Despite using the space suggested by the venue, the same one I always use, in the carpark of a row of shops all closed at that time of night I came out to a parking fine stuck under my wiper. 

75 quid. So taking my petrol into account that cost me dearly to play tonight. I can't believe anyone patrols a virtually empty carpark at 9 o'clock at night. Nor that a private company has the legal right to issue fines. 

Ah well, I shall say the serenity prayer and try to get some sleep. 

I don’t believe they do - check the wording on the penalty notice, it might be a ‘file in the bin’

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just on this, if your turnover (not profit) from minor activities (selling at car boots, amazon commission, playing gigs) is no more than £1000 you don't have to pay any tax. for a typical 4-piece that's £4,000 a year.

Yep , that is straightforward enough and I don’t have any issues, it is my replacement however, he has had a spam email and with one thing and another it has spooked him , and he has hung up his gig shoes and left the lads a bit stuck! 

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

Steam Railway, Swindon. Nice venue, friendly staff, punters usually up for a good time. 

A bit quiet due to the bank holiday but those present enjoyed themselves thoroughly. 

Only blot on an otherwise fun evening: Despite using the space suggested by the venue, the same one I always use, in the carpark of a row of shops all closed at that time of night I came out to a parking fine stuck under my wiper. 

75 quid. So taking my petrol into account that cost me dearly to play tonight. I can't believe anyone patrols a virtually empty carpark at 9 o'clock at night. Nor that a private company has the legal right to issue fines. 

Ah well, I shall say the serenity prayer and try to get some sleep. 

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/do-you-have-to-pay-private-parking-tickets.htm

Check this out S.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Which is not very many gigs is it?

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

You can deduct reasonable expenses - how much is a decent amp/transport/petrol/ -

get advice from a good accountant...........first consultations are usually free........

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Which is not very many gigs is it?

It depends; the £1000 limit is turnover not after expenses too, but it 's aimed at people who make a bit of money from hobbies and interests etc. so not 'semi-pro' musicians. But if you're just gigging once a month and getting paid £200-300 between four people...

I think every band I was in pretty much paid for rehearsals, beer, petrol, consumables and the odd trip to Birmingham to visit the music shops.

Just got back from a 400 mile round trip to last night's gig in Hebden Bridge (my wife came with me and we stayed there overnight). My anniversary gig, as I joined the Grateful Dudes at the start of last year and the first gig I played with them was on April 1st 2018, at the Trades Club, Hebden Bridge, so this was full circle. Good to be back there, they made us feel very welcome, and there is nothing like an audience of Deadheads!  I am told we increased audience numbers over last year by 50%, so that was good as well.

Usual two set gig, first set approx 70 mins and second about an hour forty (I think!). A good warm up show before our trip to Germany in a couple of days for the Playing in the Band festival, where we are playing a different set each night for three nights. Should be fun!!

Tech info - played my Ibanez SR 1206 through Ashdown ABM 600 and Barefaced Super Twin. DI'd from amp to PA. Sounded good on stage, and also in the audience, I'm told.

• Like 2

Played at Ragley Hall in Worcestershire at the weekend. Event was for a caravan / motorhome organisation! Large marquee with over 1000 in the audience, all seated. In-house PA and lights, along with big video screens on either side of the stage, fed by 3 different cameras. This meant ensuring we behaved on stage, as facial expressions/gestures which normally would go unnoticed could be seen at the back of the marquee! (Pic below shows the image taken from behind the screen by one of our crew, hence me being apparently left handed.) Despite a steady start, the audience soon got into it and ended up being very lively and loud, with dancers down the front. Just goes to show you should never pre-judge how things will go! Really enjoyable gig, with my stage sound exactly how I like it. All done by 10.15pm too, so happy days - on the road home by 10.45.

IMG-20190525-WA0008.jpg

• Like 1

Saturday was Bearded Theory. It's a big one and a load of my friends and family had got me over excited and pretty nervous about it. I woke up at 5AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I only had to go to the studio, pack up my drums, bring them home, and wait for the van to arrive at 11:30, but it seemed like such a big task. So after lying there for an hour I decided to forget trying to sleep and get my sh*t together. They picked me up at 11:30 and we got to the Woodland Stage an hour later. A couple of hours nervously hanging around and soaking in the atmosphere (and passively smoking some very pungent skunk!) and we were on. The adrenaline kicked in and all my fatigue was washed away by the hundreds (maybe more than 1000?) people singing our songs back at us and cheering us on. 45 minutes later, soaked with sweat, I couldn't stop grinning as I packed away my drums. Best gig for ages!!!

woodlandstage.thumb.jpg.528ea8d2422e34c049e8068fe5b405d3.jpg

A bit of a crap photo bit I don't have a lot of time between songs to have a drink of water, grab a photo, and count in the next one

After that we had to hang around until we played a small tent at 10PM. I crashed pretty hard in between so went for a lie down in the van for an hour or two and that seemed to sort me out. The tent was absolutely packed with people. We were parked right next to a side door in the tent, but the staff wouldn't let us load through that door. We had to go right around, through a fence, and then fight our way through 200 people to the stage. They seemed really anal about the rules for a bunch of crusty types smoking massive joints. Maybe the hi-vis vests gave them a power trip? Or maybe there was a real safety concern. Anyway the gig was OK. Their bass drum was seriously lacking in volume, and although I could see a mic in it, I couldn't hear it, so to get the mix right I was kicking at full power. Unfortunately this meant the beater went right through the head during the penultimate song. Ooooops! Still, the reception was great

Early Sunday morning I got a call - "Are you OK to play Nice 'n' Sleazy Festival in Morcambe tonight? It's good money". We'd already got a slot at Strummercamp in Oldham that afternoon so it'd be another 2 gig day, but I was still buzzing from Bearded Theory so I agreed, as did the others. Strummercamp was good but I don't think we impressed the crowd. There were a lot more in the main tent for the ska band (very good btw) on before us. I guess we weren't their cup of tea? Nice 'n' Sleazy was another belter though. Packed room, great reception, and some great banter with some well oiled punks.

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 8

On 29/05/2019 at 03:17, cheddatom said:

Saturday was Bearded Theory. It's a big one and a load of my friends and family had got me over excited and pretty nervous about it. I woke up at 5AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I only had to go to the studio, pack up my drums, bring them home, and wait for the van to arrive at 11:30, but it seemed like such a big task. So after lying there for an hour I decided to forget trying to sleep and get my sh*t together. They picked me up at 11:30 and we got to the Woodland Stage an hour later. A couple of hours nervously hanging around and soaking in the atmosphere (and passively smoking some very pungent skunk!) and we were on. The adrenaline kicked in and all my fatigue was washed away by the hundreds (maybe more than 1000?) people singing our songs back at us and cheering us on. 45 minutes later, soaked with sweat, I couldn't stop grinning as I packed away my drums. Best gig for ages!!!

woodlandstage.thumb.jpg.528ea8d2422e34c049e8068fe5b405d3.jpg

A bit of a crap photo bit I don't have a lot of time between songs to have a drink of water, grab a photo, and count in the next one

After that we had to hang around until we played a small tent at 10PM. I crashed pretty hard in between so went for a lie down in the van for an hour or two and that seemed to sort me out. The tent was absolutely packed with people. We were parked right next to a side door in the tent, but the staff wouldn't let us load through that door. We had to go right around, through a fence, and then fight our way through 200 people to the stage. They seemed really anal about the rules for a bunch of crusty types smoking massive joints. Maybe the hi-vis vests gave them a power trip? Or maybe there was a real safety concern. Anyway the gig was OK. Their bass drum was seriously lacking in volume, and although I could see a mic in it, I couldn't hear it, so to get the mix right I was kicking at full power. Unfortunately this meant the beater went right through the head during the penultimate song. Ooooops! Still, the reception was great

Early Sunday morning I got a call - "Are you OK to play Nice 'n' Sleazy Festival in Morcambe tonight? It's good money". We'd already got a slot at Strummercamp in Oldham that afternoon so it'd be another 2 gig day, but I was still buzzing from Bearded Theory so I agreed, as did the others. Strummercamp was good but I don't think we impressed the crowd. There were a lot more in the main tent for the ska band (very good btw) on before us. I guess we weren't their cup of tea? Nice 'n' Sleazy was another belter though. Packed room, great reception, and some great banter with some well oiled punks.

That crowd looks huge!

Blue

• Like 1

Wedding gig last night. Great venue and lovely hosts, but a 900km round trip so also had to rent an Air BnB for the band. Probably going to knock these gigs on the head as we've got back home 32 hours after starting out. Great money but just too tiring. Luckily for me and our singer, we don't have day jobs to worry about but the guitarist and drummer do and I  imagine they'll be shattered tomorrow at work.

20190601_150258.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

That's a hell of a trip!

We just went 1.5hrs up the road to Doncaster for a festival yesterday. It's only a small affair but great fun

Yes it was a hell of a trip. Thing is, you get tempted by great pay for doing something you love but when you realise you've only played for 10% of the time you're away and get back shattered after playing to an audience that are already exhausted before you even start your set (some of them had been on the go since 5 am with all the arrangements)

So, we've  certainly agreed not to do this sort of distance anymore and probably cut out the wedding gigs.

• Like 1

I have a dream... and that's to be in a band that does what Hawkwind did at the Isle of Wight festival - just turn up with a flatbed lorry, park near the entrance and play free music...

I love the idea of a random 'pop up psychedelic band' .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have a dream... and that's to be in a band that does what Hawkwind did at the Isle of Wight festival - just turn up with a flatbed lorry, park near the entrance and play free music...

I love the idea of a random 'pop up psychedelic band' .

Kind of how Here & Now started in the early 70s - and even after the Planet Gong tour with Daevid & Gilli, they still played for free at every gig of theirs I ever went to, just passed a bucket around for people to donate if they wanted, so the band's bus could get to the next gig.