Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played in Didsbury at The Railway last night, a great bunch of bands and with really good promoters running the night (Deco Records, well worth hitting up for gigs). Anyway one of the bands were called Shallow Waters and they were amazing, imagine Led Zep meet Queen's of The Stone Age. Check em out; 

X

I did a dep last night for the Razors. 

A party very local to me which I said I’d cover when I left . It was a strange, low energy affair and while the band played well enough , after seeing a lot of bands in the last couple of weeks, it certainly appeared to me that there was a lack of the passion that I thought the band had last year.

the set up didn’t help as the drummer sets up in an alcove in this venue behind guitar, on the left , and I am on the right with no line of vision to him , it always did seem a bit disconnected when we played there

paid up and home by 12.30 , all in all it was good to keep up to speed playing to an audience .

Edited by lurksalot

First gig with my new group last night, freebee in a pub, weren’t expecting many people but turned out the place was heaving.

Set up was good, got a good sound. Off we go in knock on wood. Sounds terrible, we stop, turns out despite it always working on practice, the keys player is playing in D, where we are playing in e, because he always uses a sheet of paper, but is now using his iPad which hadn’t got the right key.

Skipped past that and everything worked. We all make the usual amount of mistakes but its ok. I can see a few problems for the future, but I am sure they can be fixed before it becomes an issue. 

A bit late as it was Friday night - a place called the St Bernard's Grange in Sheldon (Birmingham or Solihull, I'm not sure which as the two seem to keep trying to offload it on the other). We play a mix of mainly 80s music, with a fair bit of ska and reggae, and normally get a few dancers. This was a bit different though. Before we started, one member of the clientele had discovered that the keyboard player's mic was turned on, and started reciting "Up the junction". Mics duly turned down.

Then we went on, got a little bit of a reaction, but there seemed to be some tension in the bar area. It may be that their normal means of communication is nose to nose shouting at each other with lots of prodding fingers, but to we outsiders it seemed that some big fight was going to kick off any minute.

At some point in the interval, one of the chavs (apparently a female called Beth, although she seemed completely indistinguishable from the males) asked for a song - "The Wanderer". The keyboard player and I knew it, and it was simple enough for the guitarist to play along, so we did it. Then we did the rest of the second set. We decided to avoid an encore, but the barmaid signalled one more. We were about to start "Lip up fatty" when the only person who'd shown any sign of dancing, whirling around like a dervish and waving his coat like a cross between a matador and wossname in "Saturday Night Fever" to "Jean Genie", came up to the stage and yelled "No ska!" a few times, with a selection of adjectives added, so we played something else, and then set a record for the knock-down time. We're booked in again for the place but we've decided to cancel that booking once we've got paid for this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

A bit late as it was Friday night - a place called the St Bernard's Grange in Sheldon (Birmingham or Solihull, I'm not sure which as the two seem to keep trying to offload it on the other). We play a mix of mainly 80s music, with a fair bit of ska and reggae, and normally get a few dancers. This was a bit different though. Before we started, one member of the clientele had discovered that the keyboard player's mic was turned on, and started reciting "Up the junction". Mics duly turned down.

Then we went on, got a little bit of a reaction, but there seemed to be some tension in the bar area. It may be that their normal means of communication is nose to nose shouting at each other with lots of prodding fingers, but to we outsiders it seemed that some big fight was going to kick off any minute.

At some point in the interval, one of the chavs (apparently a female called Beth, although she seemed completely indistinguishable from the males) asked for a song - "The Wanderer". The keyboard player and I knew it, and it was simple enough for the guitarist to play along, so we did it. Then we did the rest of the second set. We decided to avoid an encore, but the barmaid signalled one more. We were about to start "Lip up fatty" when the only person who'd shown any sign of dancing, whirling around like a dervish and waving his coat like a cross between a matador and wossname in "Saturday Night Fever" to "Jean Genie", came up to the stage and yelled "No ska!" a few times, with a selection of adjectives added, so we played something else, and then set a record for the knock-down time. We're booked in again for the place but we've decided to cancel that booking once we've got paid for this one.

Yup. Some places I'm just happy to walk out with a smile... and never ever return. That place you describe sounds just like one of them.

• Like 1

Friday night I played a Metal To The Masses heat in Stoke with my heavy band CreepJoint. It's a battle of the bands but I expected we didn't have a chance. We are a good band but one of the other bands on the bill is brand new and I was super excited to see them and fully expected them to win, which they did. Still, they were really complimentary about my band and hopefully we won some new fans. Our frontman somehow persuaded his fiancee to film the whole set so we watched it back at his house later, and we were super tight. I hope he uploads it at some point and if he does I'll share it on here

Saturday night was Rock Off Fibro - a charity event in Chester to raise money for Fibromyalgia. This is an annual event. We did the first one 3 years ago at the Live Rooms which is an ace venue. Saturday night was the back room of a pub with a tiny little PA and no soundman. The mics were plugged in with XLR>Jack leads and there was no mic for the bass drum. If I'd had the room I'd have switched the house kit for mine (which would have been loud enough) but there was no way that'd happen, so I played the entire hour long set kicking sh*t out of the house bass drum while tickling the snare and cymbals, just to try and get the mix right out front. My right leg was feeling it yesterday! Still, all good fun. 

I had another acoustic gig Thursday night at the BlondiPop. Good crowd and nice venue.

A guy complained that he couldn't hear the lead vocals or bass that well. Do you guys ever check how your levels are in the house?

GREAT NEWS!

My band has a great Summerfest 

( world's largest music festival) slot this year.

7/3 at 5:00pm on the ULine Rock Stage. 80s hit nakers Lover Boy are the headliner.

Another festival on 7/13 we're opening for The Charlie Daniels Band ( " The Devil Went Down To Georgia")

A few other festivals have come through too 

Guys, I feel so much better 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 15

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hey Blue. So glad to see you coming out of the doldrums. 

Thanks Stew Black,

I wish this stuff was happening for me at age 26 instead of 66.

The bookings are great ,however were struggling with scheduling rehearsals and ultimately replacing a founding member . He played guitar ( rhythm & lead) vocals, harp and he did most of the bookings.

Stew, I feel great about the gigs, however as a band we're not out of the woods yet.

I have some more of this story I can fill you guys in on later. Big band drama which is not normal for us.

Blue

FB_IMG_1555774397080.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I had another acoustic gig Thursday night at the BlondiPop. Good crowd and nice venue.

A guy complained that he couldn't hear the lead vocals or bass that well. Do you guys ever check how your levels are in the house?

GREAT NEWS!

7/3 at 5:00pm on the ULine Rock Stage. 80s hit nakers Lover Boy are the headliner.

Another festival on 7/13 we're opening for The Charlie Daniels Band ( " The Devil Went Down To Georgia")

Blue

Great to hear its beginning to work out again for you Blue - it just takes a few positive things to turn it around when everything drops off and it happens to all of us at some point. Stick with it buddy.....

Re levels - yes we always do a 5 minute soundcheck with me stood out front for a listen. Check the kick sound, quick spin round all the drums with the bass, check both vocal levels in monitors then add in the mains, mix the 2 guitars in and then just a spin through the verse and chorus of Rosalie to check the lot. We never change it so it stays a consistent reference point. Literally takes 5 minutes and everyone knows exactly what to do.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

We never change it so it stays a consistent reference point. Literally takes 5 minutes and everyone knows exactly what to do.

God I dream of that! No matter how good my fellow musicians are I seem to end up with the biggest amateurs come sound check time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, Friday night in a pub in Swindon. Don't know what possessed me but I decided to go for two 15" Trace Cabs and my 500 watt Trace head, Ric copy I just bought straight in no effects. 

The bass needed a set up, the room had a boom to it I wrestled with all night and the crowd was whizzed and indifferent. But I had fun. 

Last night, Sunday, early start in one of my local boozers. Originals band with couple of Pogues covers thrown in. Oh and a stomping version of Country Roads which went down a storm. Ampeg, 2 Barefaced 15", Bruce Thomas Profile. Stunning sound. Bass Nirvana. 

IMG_20190505_192457.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

GREAT NEWS!

Blue

Great news Blue. One door slowly closes as another slowly opens. 

Loverboy were a great band in 80's and Charlie Daniels band will be a good gig too.

With regards checking sound in the house (i'm assuming you mean gigs) Yes every time. Levels and tone. Even with full PA and engineer supplied i would always get out front and have a wee listen to make sure all sounds good altho you can usually get a good idea from front of stage how the band sounds. Long lead or i now have wireless so that helps.

Dave

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Stew Black,

I wish this stuff was happening for me at age 26 instead of 66.

The bookings are great ,however were struggling with scheduling rehearsals and ultimately replacing a founding member . He played guitar ( rhythm & lead) vocals, harp and he did most of the bookings.

Stew, I feel great about the gigs, however as a band we're not out of the woods yet.

I have some more of this story I can fill you guys in on later. Big band drama which is not normal for us.

Blue

FB_IMG_1555774397080.jpg

A good gigging band will replace musicians a lot easier than a start up band. 

Dave

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

With regards checking sound in the house (i'm assuming you mean gigs) Yes every time. Levels and tone. Even with full PA and engineer supplied i would always get out front and have a wee listen to make sure all sounds good altho you can usually get a good idea from front of stage how the band sounds. Long lead or i now have wireless so that helps.

Dave

My thinking is that we spend hours travelling, setting up and tearing down so 5 or 10 minutes making sure no-one comes up after the gig and says they couldn't hear the vox or the guitar was too quiet is time very well spent. We have a no widdling policy and are very conscious the punters are probably trying to have a chat and a drink before the band starts so we try to have minimal disruption for them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Great news Blue. One door slowly closes as another slowly opens. 

Loverboy were a great band in 80's and Charlie Daniels band will be a good gig too.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks, and I'm always wireless so I'll be checking my sound in the house from now on.

Blue

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

A good gigging band will replace musicians a lot easier than a start up band. 

Dave

Agreed,  a start up band usually doesn't have a lot to offer those of us looking for money.

I've seen ads for start up that clearly state;

"If your looking for money, this ain't it"

Blue

• Like 1

Too true Blue. I formed a band nearly two years ago and we have racked up precisely two gigs. I joined a band a couple of months ago and gig every weekend with them. The first band holds the promise of riches the second actually brings in money. Not a lot but I can't spend promises.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Too true Blue. I formed a band nearly two years ago and we have racked up precisely two gigs. I joined a band a couple of months ago and gig every weekend with them. The first band holds the promise of riches the second actually brings in money. Not a lot but I can't spend promises.

Having a gig in the diary does focus the mind!

This came up in conversation at the Bass chat; there are bands that never get past rehearsal. In contrast for the 'weekend warrior' event I'm doing we have to perform 5-8 songs. We have 9 and have dropped a few - and only done four rehearsals.

We are all old enough and ugly enough to know you learn songs at home and use rehearsal to practice playing them together!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

At 66 years old there's never going to be any riches for me. I settle for consistent weekly cash.

Blue

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yep, I'm knocking on the door of 60 too Blue. No illusions about earning a fortune but I am doing the thing I love. 

Ditto.

Some gigs I do for love and enjoyment - some I look at as a paid practice.  The money goes in a pot towards something desirable, that thought helps at the grimmer gigs.

• Like 1