Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

55 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We do Dave, it’s Glam Fever Live.  Let me know if you’re set up on FB.  I know you’ll enjoy it as much as we do, it’s good to be in a band where you don’t have to take yourself too seriously - quite hard anyway when you’re dancing about wearing a flashing police helmet.

We don’t have anything set up north of the border, but may look at a ‘mini tour’ at some point. 

I was looking at the Glam Fever page. Is it the same band ? Looks like its 2 different bands.

Edited by dmccombe7

27 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was looking at the Glam Fever page. Is it the same band ? Looks like its 2 different bands.

The band on that page was an earlier incarnation. The bass player left due to health reasons and I went in as a dep over 2 years ago and somehow never left lol 😂. The GF live page was put together from about 12 months back and other than wig changes the line up is the same (oh and I’m no longer a Bay City Roller in the second set).

• Haha 1

Did an Open Mic in Langport on Friday night. These are  rehearsed beforehand but when we switched from the keyboard player who had been accompanying the Solo Singers to the Jazzy one I was backing on 'Walk In between Raindrops' he omitted to return the keyboard from its transposed position to normal. Consequently we had to stop quite soon into the song as I was in F and they were in C....Started again and we nailed it!

In our defence we had not rehearsed it but just done a quick soundcheck.

We played at Albert's Shed in Shrewsbury last night...

And it wasn't bad at all - we'd sorted out the terrible problems from the previous c@ck-up in Worcester and actually played (nearly) everything well.

There was good reaction from the crowd, with dancing! 

Here's a little bit, sound a bit ropey but could be worse...

A bit late on this but Saturday night I played at a pub in Ashby De LA Zouche. Great gig, playing to loads of fans so easy really, got to let loose a bit but I had to reign it in - I'm on drums and when I do any sort of fill that without a big snare hit on the 3rd beat it really puts off our singer. After our set I got harassed by a couple of meatheads who didn't like the length of my hair. One guy kept pulling it, demanding that I shave it off. I asked him to stop, first politely and then with my authoritative tone (I used to be a manager) and that seemed to work. I was absolutely terrified on the inside though! 

Sunday night was a new venue local to me. They normally just do classic rock covers and tributes but this was a charity event and they had some originals bands on. The venue is in a weird location - basically industrial area - but it's been extremely well put together. The stage and sound were great, so we played really well and got loads of compliments afterwards. No gigs this weekend which is very rare for us but I'll find myself jamming in the studio no doubt

• Like 1

On 30/03/2019 at 10:58, Len_derby said:

I played with the blues trio last night in a small brewery in Burton on Trent.

This was for a birthday party. The brewery has a dedicated stage area, decent PA and a competent sound engineer, plus a tap room/bar. The Tower Brewery.

The man whose birthday it was said,  "there's a tab at the bar for you lads, enjoy yourselves."

A night to remember.

So.... new favourite venue! Played there last Saturday and had a whale of a time. Owner was great, friendly, offered a drink or two. 

All in all, an awesome gig that we got some more interest from. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ahpook said:

I've played in Tod a couple of times. I get the feeling they don't do 'dry' at all, or at least not at the gigs I played :)

Hope not, we're back there in a couple of months. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Bit testing for the sound on Sat playing at the end of a long narrow room so we were boxed in at the far end and difficult to interact with the audience hence the atmosphere was a bit flat. We played OK though and some good feedback from audience after. Unfortunately the LL was on holiday so we will have to chase it up for a rebooking. Only 10 min drive from home for me so I'd happily play here again. A few mates called by who had seen me in previous bands and they thought it was the best one I'd been in to date which was a pleasant surprise. No more booked until August which frees up some time to work up a set with another couple of guys that want me as part of a potential trio to do biker festivals.

On 04/11/2007 at 14:19, bassninja said:

So how did it go? Ours was a 21st party with people dressed as cowboys penguins and pirates. A bit random...

Pretty badly. Coffee shop: espresso machine screaming, front door open to intense traffic noise (and now that spring is here, many incredibly loud Harleys) and my own lack of concentration. It is hard to play with so many distractions. I know it can be done, but I'm not there yet!  W.

Things have really picked up out of nowhere with all these acoustic gigs. Well, not really out of nowhere. I have a suspition about why I started getting these acoustic offers.

I played Cafe Soeurette Saturday night from 7-10 ,great hours and a nice engaged crowd.

I'm playing a Sprecher Micro Brewery gig this Saturday night.

I also found out my primary band will be opening for a national headliner at a large country festival this summer.

3 weeks ago I had nothing.

Blue

FB_IMG_1555284751589.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Things have really picked up out of nowhere with all these acoustic gigs. Well, not really out of nowhere. I have a suspition about why I started getting these acoustic offers.

I played Cafe Soeurette Saturday night from 7-10 ,great hours and a nice engaged crowd.

I also found out my primary band will be opening for a national headliner at a large country festival this summer.

Blue

FB_IMG_1555284751589.jpg

Glad to hear things are looking brighter! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played the Half Moon in Putney last night, had to rearrange the stage layout a couple of times to fit us all in comfortably, but once that was done, it was a great gig, probably one of, if not the, best I've been involved with. Good size audience, all ticket holders, so the payout was very pleasing!

The band seemed to be inspired by both the enthusiasm of the audience and possibly the full moon, not to mention the fact that it was bicycle day. I don't think anyone there was celebrating that, but there was definitely something in the air (no, not that!).  Some emotionally and physically draining jams evolved out of several of the songs, if it wasn't for the strict eleven o'clock curfew, I think we'd still be playing!

And, as a special bonus, a former student of mine from Finland was in London, so she came to see us. Great to hear news of so many people I knew over there.

I used my Ibanez SR1206, Ashdown ABM 600 and Barefaced cab last night. No problem with any of them other than difficulty in reaching the amp to adjust anything as it was fairly inaccessible squeezed between the drummers. 

56795695_10214392218661545_8720768259432906752_n.jpg

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Played the Half Moon in Putney last night, had to rearrange the stage layout a couple of times to fit us all in comfortably, but once that was done, it was a great gig, probably one of, if not the, best I've been involved with. Good size audience, all ticket holders, so the payout was very pleasing!

The band seemed to be inspired by both the enthusiasm of the audience and possibly the full moon, not to mention the fact that it was bicycle day. I don't think anyone there was celebrating that, but there was definitely something in the air (no, not that!).  Some emotionally and physically draining jams evolved out of several of the songs, if it wasn't for the strict eleven o'clock curfew, I think we'd still be playing!

And, as a special bonus, a former student of mine from Finland was in London, so she came to see us. Great to hear news of so many people I knew over there.

I used my Ibanez SR1206, Ashdown ABM 600 and Barefaced cab last night. No problem with any of them other than difficulty in reaching the amp to adjust anything as it was fairly inaccessible squeezed between the drummers. 

56795695_10214392218661545_8720768259432906752_n.jpg

I love it when a gig just comes together nicely. Congrats sir.

Dave

The gig was streamed, but the picture quality is rather poor. We recorded it, as always, and that will end up on our Bandcamp page. The keyboards' player's son(s) were there taking photographs, but I don't think he/they did any video this time. They made a good quality multi camera video of our slot at the last SoL (Summer of Love party, in Kent), though. That's on our You Tube channel, under the band's name.

Not sure a video could completely capture last night, there were times when the entire room felt as if it had detached itself from the rest of Putney and hurtled off into space - and on several occasions I was aware of someone standing next to me on stage, who simply wasn't there when I turned to look. And that's with absolutely no drink or drugs, just the vibe and the music. One of those gigs where the band feeds off the energy of the audience, which gives them more energy and it grows rapidly until something magical happens. The Dead tradition lives on!

• Like 1

Playing another acoustic gig tonight. This one is at The Sprecher Tap in Milwaukee, 6:00-9:00. It's some sort of 420 celebration.

Anyway, these acoustic gigs have been a life saver for me. I can actually hear myself and I really like the hours. I'll be home by 11:00.

Blue

FB_IMG_1555284751589.jpg

• Like 6

Last night was great, The Jolly Farmers in Purley, was a bit concerned about the turnout because of the heat and you can never be sure what evening people will want to go out on a bank holiday.

However we had a busy, happy crowd, happy bar staff and we played very well, not 100% but I'd say high 80s.

Tonight is a nightclub show in Eastbourne, hopefully be busy as they only have bands on Saturdays and the crowd there is great - just the midnight start time to worry about

On 15/04/2019 at 22:42, Bluewine said:

Blue

FB_IMG_1555284751589.jpg

Good to hear the acoustic band is taking off. 

I usually play with a busy rock/blues band but because the guitarist has recently got a new job, with inconvenient working hours, our bookings been reduced significantly. 

But my Country band, who I've been rehearsing with for quite a while, have started taking off. And as you mentioned, because they're a significantly quieter band (no Marshall stacks and a drummer playing rods), I can actually hear my bass. 

Good luck with the new direction (you'll be getting a double bass next :)  ).

Edited by gjones
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Playing another acoustic gig tonight. This one is at The Sprecher Tap in Milwaukee, 6:00-9:00. It's some sort of 420 celebration.

Anyway, these acoustic gigs have been a life saver for me. I can actually hear myself and I really like the hours. I'll be home by 11:00.

Blue

FB_IMG_1555284751589.jpg

One door closes and another opens Blue. Enjoy and have fun. The more you're out there the more recognition you get from bands that might be loking for a bass player. 

• Thanks 1

Ok guys, The Sprecher Tap gig was not good.

It's a great looking place and load in was fantastic. Thing is, it's not a place people come to for live music. It was a bad booking. I don't think we were booked through management. 

Guys to be honest I don't think the band was paid.  I think our band leader paid me out of her own pocket.

Live and learn.

A sad night, a small crowd of uninterested milinnials. 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

And you took it

Some years ago our singer accepted a wedding gig for a friend of his and said we'd do it for free and a bar tab.  Myself and our drummer didn't know the couple.  We kept asking what we would be getting paid but the singer was a bit vague. The gig was one of the best we've had and the free booze went down well. Got a taxi home and picked up the kit the next day. I wil not do a gig for free unless I personally know the person or its for charity. A free bar is ok but I won't drink anything like my fee. When pressed the singer admitted he really meant that him and the guitarist would do it for free as the know the couple but didn't clarity that with them properly so we all did it for free.  This was later and after he paid myself and the drummer our fee out of his own pocket.  He has not made the same mistake again and we discuss wedding and party fees between us before offering our services. 

• Like 1

One of my brother's band is playing at my other brother's wife's 60th this autumn. It involves a ~700 mile round trip and an overnight so it's been sorted so the rest of the band gets paid, and they are happy to sleep on floors etc. Much better to have everything agreed in advance. Looks like I will be playing some semi-acoustic stuff with my bro' and his wife - probably some bass and some mandolin (I've never played mandolin for people, ever - eek!) and probably some other guys playing as well, I predict chaos, random jamming and a ridiculously good time had by all!