Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

51 minutes ago, KevB said:

Presumably they had to get the gig in early so Gillan could get to his day job taking people's luggage at some big hotel..

What incredibly, utterly incompetent editing and camera work!

"Whatever you do, don't show the faces of anyone other than Gillan and Paice - and make the 'crowd' of 30 punters look like LIve Aid!"

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What incredibly, utterly incompetent editing and camera work!

"Whatever you do, don't show the faces of anyone other than Gillan and Paice - and make the 'crowd' of 30 punters look like LIve Aid!"

I was wondering if there was some contractual reason they couldn't show the guitarist, I wondered who it was then, but they refused to show him!

Debut gig with new 70's Glam Rock covers band at a private function. 

2 bands on  and also 2 other singers with backing tracks filling in the gaps between the bands.

Using the new Sandberg VM4 that i just bought 3 days ago and first time using my Mesa rig at a gig. 

Great fun, great bass and best birthday party i've ever been to.1824302266_BarrysBirthdayGig3.jpg.8e18f832975d52755724d6131282f26d.jpg

• Like 3

As some of you know my band is in transition. We're losing a founding member, guitar, vocals , blues harp and bookings.

The booking ball was dropped and our normally busy summer season is weak.

I was whizzed at how this happened. I'm the only retired person in the band that needs the money.I had nothing for April and May.

My discontent must have made it to someones ear. I actually had 2 gigs this week Acoustic gigs.

I played 35 minutes at the BlondiPop Thursday night and 5:30- 8:30 at The Harley Davidson Museum Restaurant last night. Great load in and parking, a really posh place with nice class of patrons. The staff was great. 

I use to poo poo acoustic gigs, " me, I don't do acoustic gigs. I'm beyond that"

Well , I was beyond it until I was slapped in the face with reality. I'm in no position to turn down any kind of paying offer.

Guys, I learned my lesson and have stepped down from my ' high horse".

Blue

FB_IMG_1554493066548.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Have you considered picking up the booking ball @Bluewine? You say you are retired, would that give you the free time to chase gigs when others in the band are working their day jobs?

Yeah, I can and I should. Thing is I'd have to figure out how to expand non-existent network.

I'll take advantage of going out and doing these acoustic gigs.

Blue

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:53, peteb said:

Brilliant first gig for the Magnum tribute band (A Storyteller’s Night) last night, supporting Backstreet Thunder in Rotherham. A decent sized audience, great crowd reaction, and quite a few came specially to see us (some from as far away as South Wales and from Co Durham).

I’ve put a clip over on the tribute thread if anyone is interested.

STN Rotherham 30032019.jpg

That looks like the 'backyard' of the Cutlers?  Great venue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Debut gig with new 70's Glam Rock covers band at a private function. 

2 bands on  and also 2 other singers with backing tracks filling in the gaps between the bands.

Using the new Sandberg VM4 that i just bought 3 days ago and first time using my Mesa rig at a gig. 

Great fun, great bass and best birthday party i've ever been to.1824302266_BarrysBirthdayGig3.jpg.8e18f832975d52755724d6131282f26d.jpg

Hope you get used to the 'wig itch'..........took me about a year, seems strange when I play on stage without it now lol!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

As some of you know my band is in transition. We're losing a founding member, guitar, vocals , blues harp and bookings.

I was whizzed at how this happened. I'm the only retired person in the band that needs the money.I had nothing for April and May.

My discontent must have made it to someones ear. I actually had 2 gigs this week Acoustic gigs.

I played 35 minutes at the BlondiPop Thursday night and 5:30- 8:30 at The Harley Davidson Museum Restaurant last night. Great load in and parking, a really posh place with nice class of patrons. The staff was great. 

I use to poo poo acoustic gigs, " me, I don't do acoustic gigs. I'm beyond that"

Well , I was beyond it until I was slapped in the face with reality. I'm in no position to turn down any kind of paying offer.

Blue

FB_IMG_1554493066548.jpg

Playing the Harley Museum would be my perfect gig. I'm a longtime Harley owner xD Nowt wrong with acoustic gigs Blue. I'd go for it.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Excellent. Well done. I knew it would be a great success. You underestimate the popularity of Magnum especially back in the 80's. They were the band to see and have albums. Great mix of rock and a touch of Prog thrown in.

Can't get the quote thingy to work but i know there are site issues going on

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

24 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Hope you get used to the 'wig itch'..........took me about a year, seems strange when I play on stage without it now lol!

To be fair i probably don't need the wig as band said my hair is long enough but the wig helps the 70's image whereas my hair is just long  but white these days. No wig itch but extremely warm and a bit more than a touch of stage sweat. :laugh1:

Was a great night tho and the feedback from people that were there and people that have seen some VID clips has been excellent so all good and we can get onto full size gigs with a bit of fine tuning on the show.

Dave

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

To be fair i probably don't need the wig as band said my hair is long enough but the wig helps the 70's image whereas my hair is just long  but white these days. No wig itch but extremely warm and a bit more than a touch of stage sweat. :laugh1:

Was a great night tho and the feedback from people that were there and people that have seen some VID clips has been excellent so all good and we can get onto full size gigs with a bit of fine tuning on the show.

Dave

Glad you're enjoying the 'Glam' side Dave, I'm into my 3rd year now with Glam Fever and it shows no sign of slowing down on the fun side.  I did think about growing me hair so that I didn't have to bother with wigs but couldn't face that 'between time' when the hair was not long enough but irritated under the wig. First world problems eh :tatice_03:

If you get down Yorkshire way you'll have to let us know, us 'Glam Bands' tend to support each other.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So how was the acoustic gig, was it ok?

I had 2 acoustic gigs last week. Both were a lot of fun. Nice crowds and I could hear myself.

I learned a lot from this. I can't put my nose up to work and it's nice to be called on for work. 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

FB_IMG_1554493066548.jpg

Nothing wrong with acoustic gigs at all Blue.

I love the challenge of reinterpreting songs into really good acoustic numbers, and selecting (or even writing) material to do with an ear for it being performed acoustically.

As I'm getting older I'm finding singing in an acoustic setting is a lot easier than trying to howl over a loud band.

And there's some surprising mileage in easing off the gas a bit on some loud songs and discovering a whole new quiet, sparse acoustic version in there too.

Enjoy it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, martthebass said:

Glad you're enjoying the 'Glam' side Dave, I'm into my 3rd year now with Glam Fever and it shows no sign of slowing down on the fun side.  I did think about growing me hair so that I didn't have to bother with wigs but couldn't face that 'between time' when the hair was not long enough but irritated under the wig. First world problems eh :tatice_03:

If you get down Yorkshire way you'll have to let us know, us 'Glam Bands' tend to support each other.

Do you have a FB page and i can like to keep track of you guys as well.

Our band are called Bockbustarz. This was a party for our drummer but our 1st official gig is 3rd Aug in Glasgow. Tickets are selling pretty well so far.

Dave

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Do you have a FB page and i can like to keep track of you guys as well.

Our band are called Bockbustarz. This was a party for our drummer but our 1st official gig is 3rd Aug in Glasgow. Tickets are selling pretty well so far.

Dave

We do Dave, it’s Glam Fever Live.  Let me know if you’re set up on FB.  I know you’ll enjoy it as much as we do, it’s good to be in a band where you don’t have to take yourself too seriously - quite hard anyway when you’re dancing about wearing a flashing police helmet.

We don’t have anything set up north of the border, but may look at a ‘mini tour’ at some point. 

• Like 1