Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 17/03/2019 at 12:04, musicbassman said:

His behaviour was completely ridiculous.

Why is it that some 'musicians' try to justify behaviour which in any other field of human endeavour would be absolutely unacceptable ?

Sounds like someone who wants others to make up for their own shortcomings!

On 18/03/2019 at 23:21, Mykesbass said:

Monday night gig - the Komedia, Brighton, opening for Finnish blues artist Erja Lyytinen - played a 45 minute set, nearly all originals - just one cover that works really well as a medley with one of our own. Band played brilliantly, amazing response from a pretty reasonable cold, wet Monday night crowd, and the three brand new songs fitted perfectly with the older material. All in all, an absolute corker of a gig! 

She's awesome, looking forward to seeing her live for the first time at Scarborough Blues Festival on Friday. Nice gig 🙂 

• Like 1

Did a surprise Birthday Party on Saturday in Wellingborough at a health club - they have a function room with pretty good acoustics, but its over the pool area so it smells of bleach. I show up at just after 5.00 to find THIS on the stage...

DJ.thumb.jpeg.5c8faceb09eb113e5000a1e8aebb2b42.jpeg

All Gaffa'd down - no sign of the DJ, no sign  of anyone 

We ended up setting up to the side, which in the event was good as we were able to evaporate after the live set while mr 'yes indeedy' played on into the night. 
Gave the DJ our set list so he wouldn't play our numbers.... the tart played almost every single one...

Good night though, good money, good crowd.... and a crack at the BUFFET!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

Gave the DJ our set list so he wouldn't play our numbers.... the tart played almost every single one...

What a tool.  Glad you had a good time though. 

Edited by mep
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

Good idea though. We're opening for Victor Brox in June and we've already agreed we'll send him our proposed setlist a couple of weeks in advance so we can make sure not to step on each other's toes. 

• Like 1

So buzzing for tomorrow night, big Mod night gig in Strathclyde Uni Union in Glasgow, with everything raised being donated to the Glasgow Childrens Hospital Charity...

FoC, we've managed to secure £18k worth of PA and sound man for the night, via a guitarist mate I know from years back, who is doing the sound, the same guy who does TRNSMT and another guy who has done the sound for Metallica on their last European tour...its all just a bit mental the way it's worked out...

Best part, we are a tribute band to The Who, and we are playing the very same stage The Who played just a month shy, almost to the day 50 years ago...!

Soooooo excited...

• Like 3

Well, my "gig" took place this morning (Saturday 23/3/19) at a local church.  There was a seminar for church youth and children's workers which attracted people form across the north of England to a very welcoming church on the outskirts of town - right beside the M6 motorway!  The organizers wanted some worship music during the morning and three of us were drafted in.  The trio consisted of our leader on semi-acoustic guitar and vocals, our church drummer who played the cajon and me on bass.  The church did have its own Roland electronic drum kit but after giving it a try our drummer sat astride the cajon.

We had about 40 minutes rehearsal before the delegates arrived but were familiar with the six songs from our own church services.  I was not sure if my small 35 watt bass combo would be loud enough but it turned out to be an amazing little box of tricks; as did the small combo amp of the semi-acoustic guitarist.  I bought the SubZero amp for use at home, but generally use headphones to spare the neighbours.  This was the first time I had heard the unit in a gig situation and it really punched above its (light) weight.  I had the volume at about a quarter full and kept the tone controls fairly neutral but the little combo really let the low end shine through.

Despite our lead singer/guitarist playing a few wrong chords when his contact lenses dried out(!) the morning went well.  The assembled throng drowned out our mistakes!  I was using chord charts except for one song for which I had the bass guitar music.  The attached photos show my bass and combo amp.  The combo is a SubZero SZB 1035 which I bought from Gear for Music.  It was my first "gig" outside of our own church environment so, another step on the road to stardom!

P1020792 (2) (595x800).jpg

P1020794 (621x800).jpg

Gig in Worcester last night.

And I'd like to say we nailed it. But we didn't... Guitarist cocked up the 1st song by coming out of the break early, then in other bits I had no idea what he was playing - it wasn't what he was meant to and it wasn't in the right key, not even in a good way. I forgot my intro for another song, which has never happened before; drummer stopped in completely the wrong place a few times, then changed patterns in random places, plus couldn't get his metronome to work so we speeded up. Singer got confused and put verses/choruses in the wrong order and wrong places. But on the plus side, we did 4 out of 10 songs well; a punter came up and said "you were messy and not tight enough, but you've got an excellent sound!" - he was right about the 1st bit. Just hope he was also right about the 2nd!

• Sad 1

Played a gig in Wellingborough with the new band Fun-k 

This was our fifth gig and we've been loading the set with new material. It's starting to really gel and the band works well together.

I managed to do the whole two sets with my in-ears (previously always ended up pulling them out) not quite there on the monitor mix, but our new male singer is a whizz with audio (an Allen & Heath Q-pac remote rack mixer ) - but getting there. Nice to be able to hear what's going on.

As the total opposite of the last gig, last night I got to play with probably the best drummer I've ever met. Timing to die for, total empathy  for the song and complete awareness of what everyone else is playing. Bass, drums, sax and guitar. Loved playing with three people who aren't tied to a structure if the mood dictates taking the number elsewhere.

Probably the now hold the world record for the longest ever version of Put it where you want it😂

On 24/03/2019 at 09:09, Leonard Smalls said:

Gig in Worcester last night.

And I'd like to say we nailed it. But we didn't... Guitarist cocked up the 1st song by coming out of the break early, then in other bits I had no idea what he was playing - it wasn't what he was meant to and it wasn't in the right key, not even in a good way. I forgot my intro for another song, which has never happened before; drummer stopped in completely the wrong place a few times, then changed patterns in random places, plus couldn't get his metronome to work so we speeded up. Singer got confused and put verses/choruses in the wrong order and wrong places. But on the plus side, we did 4 out of 10 songs well; a punter came up and said "you were messy and not tight enough, but you've got an excellent sound!" - he was right about the 1st bit. Just hope he was also right about the 2nd!

Sounds like a nightmare. Do you think you were under-rehearsed, or is it just one of those situations where your mind blanks once you're up there?

S.P.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Sounds like a nightmare.

Difficult to say why; but we'd written 3 new songs in 2 weeks, one of these had 8 different parts with different rhythms which might have confused everybody... So next rehearsal we're going to play them in 2s, i.e. drums/bass, drums/guitar, drums/vox, bass/guitar etc which should beat it into everybody. And we'll make sure the drummer knows how to use the SoundBrenner metronome!

This isn't "last night's gig" yet, but it will be tomorrow.

We've had a gig booked in Fraserburgh for a while for tonight, looking forward to it, always a good one.

Yesterday, it happened that xSLF (Henry Cluney, Jim Reilly) had their gig pulled in Aberdeen, something about issues with the promoter. Their support band Skizofrenik includes the son of the landlord of our gig tonight. So he's invited both bands to come up and play in the pub instead. We've been told that our gig will go ahead as planned, 10pm start. First band on at 1945, xSLF after them, us going on at 10pm til closing time.

We are a fairly standard pub rock covers band. Looking at Skizofrenik's youtube stuff, they seem to be followed by skins. The SLF lads will have their own punters (usually including me, it has to be said).

I sense "one for the book" coming up ...

1 hour ago, HengistPod said:

This isn't "last night's gig" yet, but it will be tomorrow.

We've had a gig booked in Fraserburgh for a while for tonight, looking forward to it, always a good one.

Yesterday, it happened that xSLF (Henry Cluney, Jim Reilly) had their gig pulled in Aberdeen, something about issues with the promoter. Their support band Skizofrenik includes the son of the landlord of our gig tonight. So he's invited both bands to come up and play in the pub instead. We've been told that our gig will go ahead as planned, 10pm start. First band on at 1945, xSLF after them, us going on at 10pm til closing time.

We are a fairly standard pub rock covers band. Looking at Skizofrenik's youtube stuff, they seem to be followed by skins. The SLF lads will have their own punters (usually including me, it has to be said).

I sense "one for the book" coming up ...

Looking forward to Ep. 2.

I played with the blues trio last night in a small brewery in Burton on Trent.

This was for a birthday party. The brewery has a dedicated stage area, decent PA and a competent sound engineer, plus a tap room/bar. The Tower Brewery.

The man whose birthday it was said,  "there's a tab at the bar for you lads, enjoy yourselves."

A night to remember.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

This was for a birthday party. The brewery has a dedicated stage area, decent PA and a competent sound engineer, plus a tap room/bar. The Tower Brewery.

The man whose birthday it was said,  "there's a tab at the bar for you lads, enjoy yourselves."

A night to remember.

We were up Burton way last night too, Corporate gig at the Hilton at St George (England footy training ground apparently) Free food, beer and lodgings, played for about an hour at 11pm and sat in the foyer drinking beer and watching all the drunk Hooray Henrys and Henrietta's staggering round in circles trying find their rooms until about 3am.

Wonderful atmosphere while we were playing, dropped a few notes watching the antics on the dancefloor, and generally had a whale of a time......Roll on next year!

• Like 1

Great crowd, up for it dancing from the first tune. Won't make any money as the gig was in Uxbridge so petrol and hotel ate the cash but 2nd time out with new band and it all helps get us tight.

Out in Swindon tonight same band new venue for me. Trying to train the singer to understand how a PA works (ie not by magic) is great fun. She's really raw but awesome stage presence, great voice and good with the punters.

Roll on.

11 hours ago, Len_derby said:

A night to remember.

I'm playing there on Saturday- glad to hear it's a good location!

Bleary eyed after time traveling last night. Bluddy clocks changed as I drove home.

Played one of those 60s pubs in Swindon which have a huge function room with a very wide very narrow stage. My rig just about coped without pa support but I'll take something with more oomph next time we're there. 

Typical Saturday night crowd, lively, up for it, and fun. Singer always arrives late for second set so we've taken to starting without her. Last night, evidently not prepared to wait, a punter clambered onto the stage and started singing. 

She was ok, but exited sharpish when the boss turned up. Quite an imposing woman is our singer.

Got paid, got home in one piece. On to the next one this afternoon.

IMG-20190330-WA0010.jpeg

Edited by stewblack