Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Thought we were playing 9 to 11, so a 2 set gig was planned. When we got there we found out we were expected to play to 12. So most of the second set became the third set, and an impromptu new second set was played. 

No-one spotted the joins. So all good. 

The landlord was wondering around pished most of the evening, at one point making his way on stage and playing the drums during a break. 

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Pished landlords are a bad sign IMHO, usually equals a badly run pub full of like minded clientele.

Yeah we had one of those. Said we hadn’t brought enough of our own crowd to be asked back. Then sent a minion over with the money...

A tad ungrateful given the £1000s worth of gear we brought to earn £250, I thought. And I brought eight people, four others succumbing to the flu. Serve her right if she gets it too!

Last nights gig was great, we played at The Dome in Tufnell Park on the last night of The Old Firm Casuals UK Tour. Also on the bill were Rats Nest and Grade 2. Probably full - 500 capacity - for most of the night, all of the bands got great reaction from the crowd, this wasn`t a "too cool for school I only watch the main band" night.

Now some parts of punk, like street-punk/Oi get clobbered a bit by those who see the shaved heads and DMs and start thinking of right-wing leanings. Well Lars, the singer from Old Firm Casuals put this rightly in its place saying his band were anti Nazi/anti fascist and no-one in their right mind followed that sort of cr*p. Probably received one of the biggest cheers of the night, this from a room full of skinheads - go figure, you labellers!

There were some very messy sights in there by the end of the night but absolutely no bother, everyone had been drinking singing beer, and left the fighting beer behind the bar. Great night, I feel privileged to have played with OFCs again as they`re one of my fave bands.

• Like 2

Big band do at a rugby club Valentine's ball. I am depping for the regular guy, who it turns out has been poached by another big band. One of the sax players describes my playing as 'solid', which I take 100% as a compliment. The band leader asks me whether I would consider joining them permanently, which for various reasons I decline.

In truth, I have little problem with the pop, soul, and disco material, but I really do struggle with a lot of the the more traditional big band jazz stuff. These people have been playing from dots since they were kids, whereas I came the self-taught route.

I enjoyed the gig, I relish the challenge, and I have another one coming up next month.

52126728_320750831910802_747674615626596

• Like 5

4 hours ago, steantval said:

Pished landlords are a bad sign IMHO, usually equals a badly run pub full of like minded clientele.

Well, for many years I was that whizzed up landlord and ours was widely lauded as a great place to play. Knowledgeable music loving clientele, house PA, great atmosphere, no hassles over money; bands always wanted a return booking. So doesn't always follow!

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Last nights gig was great, we played at The Dome in Tufnell Park on the last night of The Old Firm Casuals UK Tour. Also on the bill were Rats Nest and Grade 2. Probably full - 500 capacity - for most of the night, all of the bands got great reaction from the crowd, this wasn`t a "too cool for school I only watch the main band" night.

Now some parts of punk, like street-punk/Oi get clobbered a bit by those who see the shaved heads and DMs and start thinking of right-wing leanings. Well Lars, the singer from Old Firm Casuals put this rightly in its place saying his band were anti Nazi/anti fascist and no-one in their right mind followed that sort of cr*p. Probably received one of the biggest cheers of the night, this from a room full of skinheads - go figure, you labellers!

There were some very messy sights in there by the end of the night but absolutely no bother, everyone had been drinking singing beer, and left the fighting beer behind the bar. Great night, I feel privileged to have played with OFCs again as they`re one of my fave bands.

Lozz, i was there! Great gig, and you got a great sound out of the Ashdown. Some great bands too. What model P bass are you playing at the moment? I still have your old 70's classic in white and it's kept me GAS free since 2013!

Slightly unusual - my birthday blues jam! Lovely tiny local venue which was packed with 25 people. My son and grandson came from Nashville to be there. All my favourite om regulars played, including the mighty Victor Brox, and the singer and drummer from my band. Mostly blues, but some beautiful traditional English folk music too. I'm in awe that so many fine musicians would come out to celebrate with me 🙂 

L1011856.jpg

L1012444-2.jpg

• Like 5

Last nights gig was.... cancelled!

Nothing fancy - just a small open mic night at a local club, but we had spent 4 hours polishing off a couple of songs to add to our set list. One hour before the gig, we’re told it’s been cancelled by the local council after a single (yup, just one) noise complaint from the open mic 2 weeks ago! 

I wouldn’t mind, but they’re about 3 miles from Heathrow - noise isn’t usually a problem for these folks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Crammed into a very tight space yesterday on one of those weird late Sunday afternoon-to-early evening slots. Went down OK, they want us back in August where we will play outside under a permanent awning, bit more roon to play with. It's still early days with these guys, they are almost starting again after a long layoff following departure of previous bass player, who turned up with his missis to watch us, all very friendly and he said he enjoyed my playing. Also only a 30 min drive from where I live which was a bonus.

IMG_20190217_171644.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, goonerjoe said:

Lozz, i was there! Great gig, and you got a great sound out of the Ashdown. Some great bands too. What model P bass are you playing at the moment? I still have your old 70's classic in white and it's kept me GAS free since 2013!

Hi Joe, was a great gig, really enjoyed it. I currently use a 2015 US Standar, with the Custom Shop pickups. Plus my trusty Tech21 Para Driver for eq/drive of course.

21 hours ago, KevB said:

Crammed into a very tight space yesterday on one of those weird late Sunday afternoon-to-early evening slots. Went down OK, they want us back in August where we will play outside under a permanent awning, bit more roon to play with. It's still early days with these guys, they are almost starting again after a long layoff following departure of previous bass player, who turned up with his missis to watch us, all very friendly and he said he enjoyed my playing. Also only a 30 min drive from where I live which was a bonus.

IMG_20190217_171644.jpg

Ah man, didn't know you were at The Smithfield. I'll have to catch you next time, 

The outside river terrace is a much nicer place to play. It gets busy in the summer too.

On 20/01/2019 at 20:52, colleya said:

He is. Talking to him last night they had two full range PA speakers waiting to be wired up so next time he just wants us to bring our desk which will save loads of room and make my life a lot easier.

A lot of the clutter had been tidied/organised to the rear of the stage, which was miles better than our previous gig there. Plug sockets all round the stage and built in lighting too.

Oh, and the crowd were great as always. I'm usually anxious about January gigs as I've ended up playing to two bored barmaids and a passing cat before, but they turned out in force and were up for a party. As Blue said, I'll overlook a lot for that.

What band were you playing with mate, I live just down the road in Todmorden, regards, Jez

Just got in from our first gig of the year - Cockfosters Football Club. A Deadhead invasion of this quiet leafy London suburb! We played a couple of lengthy sets which were well received by the knowledgeable audience - we played a couple of encores and they would have had us carry on for another hour or two, but the venue had to close at midnight.

First gig with my Ibanez SR1206, sounded great through Ashdown ABM 600 & Barefaced Super Twin. Small venue so none of the instruments went through the PA. I received quite a few compliments on both the sound of my bass and my playing, which doesn't happen too often.

Next one's in Putney on Good Friday.

• Like 1

My 1st gig as bassist with the Flotonics! I depped 4 times for the Flos last year and when they went through a personnel change at Christmas I was made 'full time'.

They're a soul band playing mostly Otis, James Brown, Al Green & Stevie so it takes me back to music I loved in my teens and early 20s. The personnel change involved sacking off the guitarist and drummer. The original bassist moved to guitar, the new drummer now keeps time and a 3 piece horn section was added 😍 (everything sounds so so much better with the horns).

Sorry, too much background, I'm waffling. The gig was at a working men's club in Durrington (for those unfamiliar with Wiltshire, it's a stone's throw from Stonehenge which I passed in the moonlight on my way there). We played the function room on a small stage, I was last to set up and was shown a tiny area between the desk and drummer "you're going there Al". Luckily my stack is like the Spinal Tap Stonehenge and I squeezed my two One10s and the TC electronic bh550 into that tiny space.

We had one rehearsal as a full 8 piece band so I was apprehensive but the band is a mixture of seasoned pro musicians and dedicated amateurs (I'm probably the 'weak link') so the whole gig went like a dream and with the horn section playing so well it was like being at a recording session at Muscle Shoals or at Motown.

Small but appreciative audience, a few dancing. The usual drunken requests "play some Robbie" came up too many times and some friendly hecklers too!

The new drummer was very complimentary about my playing "we were locked in", "you make my job easier" he said. He was an absolute pleasure to play with, some lovely fills and adlib playing, I'm loving this guy and this was only our 2nd time playing together!

A little coincidence to @FinnDave. I was playing an Ibby SR1205 last night. Ok, one string less but a lovely bass. Played it in passive mode, I think it sounded ok. Have to wait until our singer has sent round MP3s of last night.

Just need some gigs now! 

36 minutes ago, super al said:

A little coincidence to @FinnDave. I was playing an Ibby SR1205 last night. Ok, one string less but a lovely bass. Played it in passive mode, I think it sounded ok.  

They're great basses, aren't they? I definitely prefer the Nordstrand pick ups in these to the barts in other's I've had (still have in one case).

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

They're great basses, aren't they? I definitely prefer the Nordstrand pick ups in these to the barts in other's I've had (still have in one case).

I can't comment on the Nords v Barts argument other than my bassist neighbour bought an Ibby 4 string with Barts on and loves it. 

We've yet to get together in a room and compare notes!

1 hour ago, super al said:

I can't comment on the Nords v Barts argument other than my bassist neighbour bought an Ibby 4 string with Barts on and loves it. 

We've yet to get together in a room and compare notes!

Depends on what sound you need, I find the Nords come through the mix well playing live, but then I play in a 6 piece with 2 drummers and 2 guitarists plus keys, so every little helps! Played alone, I prefer the Barts.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Depends on what sound you need, I find the Nords come through the mix well playing live, but then I play in a 6 piece with 2 drummers and 2 guitarists plus keys, so every little helps! Played alone, I prefer the Barts.

Our singer has just sent me a recording of a tune from last night, the bass sounds sweet and cuts through nicely. This is the 1st time I've heard the bass recorded (with a band) since I bought it a year ago 😊

On 19/02/2019 at 18:12, Jezyorkshire said:

What band were you playing with mate, I live just down the road in Todmorden, regards, Jez

Hi Jez,

Sorry, I missed this on Tuesday.  My band is called Jump The Shark. We're back in Tod on June 8th.

Edited by colleya
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 08:03, martthebass said:

We play a place like that.  Second time we played it we made an effort to chat and joke with the door men.  At load out time, they nicely held the doors and made a nice hole in the crowd, even helped with some of the lifting.   

Rose and Crown Rushden - pig of a place to play - the only place open late. BUT the door staff clear a way through and even lent a hand once.

On 11/02/2019 at 08:03, martthebass said:

We play a place like that.  Second time we played it we made an effort to chat and joke with the door men.  At load out time, they nicely held the doors and made a nice hole in the crowd, even helped with some of the lifting.   

Rose and Crown Rushden - pig of a place to play - the only place open late. BUT the door staff clear a way through and even lent a hand once.

Edited by dontregartha
duplicate

Saturday night I played at The Underground - a local venue, probably 200 capacity, big stage. I was on guitar with Julia Mosely. I'd finally found the right sound when playing about with amps and pedals that morning so I was really in the mood for it. A smaller than expected crowd, first two numbers totally botched, but the actually I had a great time. I just love playing with this band. The bassist is seriously world class and the drummer is great too, so it feels like we're just jamming at the back while these two amazing vocalists wow the crowd at the front of stage

Sunday night at the Start & Garter Punk For Pam festival. I was a bit rushed as I had to drive myself and shoot off straight after we played, which always feels bad as this scene is so nice and supportive. I was on drums and my left hand really cramped up halfway through the set. Probably too many bar chords and unison bends the night before! Anyway, we got through and went down well.

I'm looking forward to next weekend, 3 gigs in a row launching out new album and I get to play my own drums!!! Can't wait

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Sunday night at the Start & Garter Punk For Pam festival. I was a bit rushed as I had to drive myself and shoot off straight after we played, which always feels bad as this scene is so nice and supportive. I was on drums and my left hand really cramped up halfway through the set. Probably too many bar chords and unison bends the night before! Anyway, we got through and went down well.

I watched some of your set, tried to catch some songs from all the bands but was protecting my ears for our set later on, what I saw/heard of yours was good. It was a great event, and as always the crowd there were - shall I say it due to it being Manchester - mad for it.