Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

I played West Street Live in Sheffield on Sunday thanks to our own @Johnny Wishbone

It was a rare outing for my heavy band CreepJoint but hopefully we'll start to play more. In terms of the music we play it's definitely my favourite band that I play in. We seemed to go down well and it was tight, but that 30 minutes just flew by! I can't wait for the next one

Glad they were finally able to get you on! I'll make sure I'm at the next one.

Friday night - singist has a filthy cold and has pretty much lost his voice but its a new gig for us so he decides to give it a go. 3 songs in and we're thinking we might not make it through but we slog on till half time. He warms up bit and we struggle through. It turns into a decent night. Until the load out....the DJ starts at 1am and about 200 kids pile in as its the only place in Hertford open late. And they're all in between us and the exit - doh! We eventually manage to get everything out of a fire door to the side (but still have to get past loads of kids in the corridor and an earsplitting PA system) and then carry everything up the road to the transport as you cant park outside. We brought half what we normally use as it was an inhouse PA and light system and it still took us nearly 75 minutes to get away. We've taken it off our gigs to pursue list......they couldn't pay me enough to do that load out again.

Saturday night - the polar opposite. Second time at a new venue in Staines for us. Easy load in, a great stage, lovely punters who were up for a sing, brill door staff and owners, singer recovering nicely, we played well and got some decent video to use. The only downside was at the McDonalds in St Albans on the way home - I thought i would try a new Bacon Big Mac but it arrived minus the bacon. I was too tired and hungry to complain..... :-)

And we have a 2 week break now before the adventure continues

Heres a bit of crowd footage from the better one - sound came out ok especially on some headphones :-)

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Friday night - singist has a filthy cold and has pretty much lost his voice but its a new gig for us so he decides to give it a go. 3 songs in and we're thinking we might not make it through but we slog on till half time. He warms up bit and we struggle through. It turns into a decent night. Until the load out....the DJ starts at 1am and about 200 kids pile in as its the only place in Hertford open late. And they're all in between us and the exit - doh! We eventually manage to get everything out of a fire door to the side (but still have to get past loads of kids in the corridor and an earsplitting PA system) and then carry everything up the road to the transport as you cant park outside. We brought half what we normally use as it was an inhouse PA and light system and it still took us nearly 75 minutes to get away. We've taken it off our gigs to pursue list......they couldn't pay me enough to do that load out again.

We play a place like that.  Second time we played it we made an effort to chat and joke with the door men.  At load out time, they nicely held the doors and made a nice hole in the crowd, even helped with some of the lifting.   

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We play a place like that.  Second time we played it we made an effort to chat and joke with the door men.  At load out time, they nicely held the doors and made a nice hole in the crowd, even helped with some of the lifting.   

Excellent suggestion that. Finding a mutually positive solution to an awkward situation. Nice one 👍

Awesome one at a venue that’s new to us. 280 capacity, and a nice big stage. The singer and my eyes lit up at the tall drum riser, as we often like to have an ‘jump off’ competition during our set.

First outing with the Mustang, which was flawless, although I did notice the strap buttons were about 1/3rd unscrewed from the body by the end of the set, I’ll be supergluing them in tonight.

That face... 

51229477_2609283882446729_49145096197090

51612549_2609284445780006_51025274094338

51563383_2609283922446725_86154147174117

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, urbanx said:

Awesome one at a venue that’s new to us. 280 capacity, and a nice big stage. The singer and my eyes lit up at the tall drum riser, as we often like to have an ‘jump off’ competition during our set.

First outing with the Mustang, which was flawless, although I did notice the strap buttons were about 1/3rd unscrewed from the body by the end of the set, I’ll be supergluing them in tonight.

That face... 

51229477_2609283882446729_49145096197090

51612549_2609284445780006_51025274094338

51563383_2609283922446725_86154147174117

Great pics.

Don't super glue those strap pins though, wood glue and wooden dowels, cocktail sticks or even matchsticks, is the way to do it.

16 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Don't super glue those strap pins though, wood glue and wooden dowels, cocktail sticks or even matchsticks, is the way to do it.

Ah cheers dude, they're the standard Schaller S types ones. They had a good bite going in (thicker than the fender ones) but yeah, both unscrewed quite a lot during a  short 25 Min set. 

35 minutes ago, urbanx said:

Ah cheers dude, they're the standard Schaller S types ones. They had a good bite going in (thicker than the fender ones) but yeah, both unscrewed quite a lot during a  short 25 Min set. 

Probably a bit late now but I but Schaller S types for both my Mustangs and noticed that the screws were going to cause some problems if I screwed them in without some drilling/fettling.  On this basis I decided against it and decided to go the 'Grolsch Top' route on both (stuck the Schallers on my Musicmen instead).  2 years on with one of the Mustangs and it's never moved despite about a 100 gigs.

13 hours ago, martthebass said:

We were chatting to them on the way in......they made no attempt to help us on the way out.......they just gave us a bollocking for not letting them know we were using the side entrance. Stuff 'em......

8 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

We were chatting to them on the way in......they made no attempt to help us on the way out.......they just gave us a bollocking for not letting them know we were using the side entrance. Stuff 'em......

At a blues festival a while back I had breakfast with a musician and his wife/roadie who had had exactly that problem at a pub gig the night before. I suggested they should get high-vis vests and wear them just for the load-in and load-out. 

<Comment on current far-right politics withheld> 

First outing with the ampeg classic and 2 15" Barefaced cabs. I've been a little concerned about the weight of the amp especially as I've sold all my heavy gear to make way for new light cabs and class D amps. Also I've had my fair share of back problems

First time at this venue, easy load in, parking right by the door. Muscular and affable young man came up to me and offered to help carry my gear, Ampeg straight in and into position, drummer helped me carry it out at the other end of the evening.

Got the sound where I wanted it then used the tone knob on the bass to fine tune it. All sounded amazing. Odd place, no dance floor, comfy furniture all round, civilised and appreciative crowd. 

Big cheer when singer introduced the bass player. Which was unexpected but welcome.

Drove back in time last night. Village pub, absolutely packed with people of all ages; good natured and lively rubbed shoulders with  trollied and truculent. There was a blend of ruddy cheeked bumpkin, bigoted little Englanders, and entertainment starved youngsters for whom taking turns dancing while wearing my hat appeared to be the highlight of their weekend.

I'd gone hoping to impress a BL who was after a regular bass dep and said she was running an open mic. What actually transpired was I played a long set of function band standards with a young and very competent guitarist and the world's most handsome drummer - neither of whom I'd met before. We backed a variety of indifferently capable 'singers' in a kind of live karaoke.

The BL, who was being richly rewarded for our efforts, spent most of the evening getting plastered outside among the other smokers. She seemed impressed with the bits she saw, however, and I got the promise of more work - the main reason I'd driven the 50 miles into the back of beyond. 

Time will tell if it was all worthwhile or not but it was great fun. I'm in the studio all day today so what with gigging on Friday and last night I feel like a musician again.

Might have been nice to have been offered petrol money or at least a drink but you know what? I had a blast, tested myself in an unusual situation and made some potentially valuable contacts. If I look on it as an unusual audition then it was a great success.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 5