Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

14 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Great room, pay and a great crowd for New Year's Eve.

You guys seem to value food, the owner also gave each memer a $75.00 gift certificate for their restaurant.

Blue

FB_IMG_1546353492900.jpg

Was it a bit cold on stage Daryl?? You look like you're dressed for walking home after the show! 

A nice touch for the owner to, in effect, buy each member a meal in his restaurant. A nice tip for playing NYE... 

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Was it a bit cold on stage Daryl?? You look like you're dressed for walking home after the show! 

A nice touch for the owner to, in effect, buy each member a meal in his restaurant. A nice tip for playing NYE... 

I was suffering with sciatica and a bad cold, hence the scarf.

Blue

Late report on  NYE. Final gig for the Rock n Roll Outlaws and we worked hard to get it spot on by missing any rehearsal and pioneering one new number during soundcheck! Total of 3.5 hours playing time, pretty damned tired afterward,  but a fitting, well-played end to the band. A fine way to bow out of the rock business,  quieter stuff awaits!

:D

• Like 5

First gig with this band, and first ever "proper" gig for the singer. Small pub with a regular clientele.

We only did 4 songs, went by in a flash, "on stage" sound was non-existent (I went direct into the board, no monitors, and I could barely hear the guitar), thankfully I was next to the PA, so I could hear the bass, drums (un-mic'ed) & vocals. Made a few mistakes, and I can tell I haven't played in a while!

Overall, we had loads of good feedback from folk, so it can't have been too bad! :D 

Next gig is next week.

• Like 1

Our first gig of 2019, and a special one in our home town of Hull at The New Theatre. Capacity audience of nearly 1200 who were in top form making for a great atmosphere. We took a long time soundchecking and it definitely paid off, with the best sound we’ve had in this venue. As I’m the only one who doesn’t use IEM I could really feel my bass in the room as well as onstage, which is something I really enjoy. The band played well, no dodgy moments at all, and it’s given us a renewed sense of optimism for the rest of the year. Feel a bit knackered this morning though, probably due to having not done it for 7 weeks!

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 05:35, Skybone said:

First gig with this band, and first ever "proper" gig for the singer. Small pub with a regular clientele.

We only did 4 songs, went by in a flash, "on stage" sound was non-existent (I went direct into the board, no monitors, and I could barely hear the guitar), thankfully I was next to the PA, so I could hear the bass, drums (un-mic'ed) & vocals. Made a few mistakes, and I can tell I haven't played in a while!

Overall, we had loads of good feedback from folk, so it can't have been too bad! :D 

Next gig is next week.

4 songs? We're there other bands that played?

Blue

Last night I played bass at the annual David Bowie tribute night called Let's Play Bowie, in The Donkey, Leicester. 

We were the house band (The Donkey Dorys) and we played the Hunky Dory album in its entirety, with a rota of guest singers and musicians joining us onstage. 

It was awesome. 

The gig was sold out (about 200 capacity when the place is rammed) and there was a real good vibe. Took the opportunity to glam up with a bit of eyeliner and scarves etc (if not at Bowie night, when?) and had an excellent time. 

Through learning the album over the last two months I got a real appreciation for Trevor Bolder's superbly tasteful and inventive playing too, so it was time well spent.

A top night.

• Like 3

A new venue for us, extremely small space to perform, however great looking  and sounding room and high end clientle that are into live bands. Place was packed, and the hours were decent, 9:00-12:00.

I hope they ask us back, in a dieng vertical we need this type of new business.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 6

January is always a potential tumbleweed month after all the Xmas spending and drinking so we weren't expecting much at last nights pub gig in Hertford. Its a nice pub with great staff/owners and usually a resident crowd though so we were optimistic that i would be ok if a little quiet.

I got to use my new (secondhand) Zon bass for the first time at a decent volume and it was good to see how it fitted in live. We have to be a bit careful with the volume in there so used a Quilter BB800 and a single Barefaced BB2. Nice easy load in and lightweight gear is a lovely thing! Everything set flat and the amp just ticking over at 40% volume. 

It wasn't quiet!!! About 20 people in there at 9pm but by the time we started at 9.30 it was filling up and by 10pm it was flipping packed :-) And they danced from the start.....We had a blinder - played well, no noticeable mishtakes, great crowd, love my new bass, caught up with some old mates that i hadn't seen for a while and loads of compliments afterwards. The band even commented how well the bass fitted into the overall sound. A good start to 2019.....

P.S beware of Summer of 69 played in drop D content half way thru the clip 😉 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

On 06/01/2019 at 18:08, Mudpup said:

January is always a potential tumbleweed month after all the Xmas spending and drinking so we weren't expecting much at last nights pub gig in Hertford. Its a nice pub with great staff/owners and usually a resident crowd though so we were optimistic that i would be ok if a little quiet.

I got to use my new (secondhand) Zon bass for the first time at a decent volume and it was good to see how it fitted in live. We have to be a bit careful with the volume in there so used a Quilter BB800 and a single Barefaced BB2. Nice easy load in and lightweight gear is a lovely thing! Everything set flat and the amp just ticking over at 40% volume. 

It wasn't quiet!!! About 20 people in there at 9pm but by the time we started at 9.30 it was filling up and by 10pm it was flipping packed 🙂 And they danced from the start.....We had a blinder - played well, no noticeable mishtakes, great crowd, love my new bass, caught up with some old mates that i hadn't seen for a while and loads of compliments afterwards. The band even commented how well the bass fitted into the overall sound. A good start to 2019.....

P.S beware of Summer of 69 played in drop D content half way thru the clip 😉 

I like this band.

Blue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I like this band.

Blue

Bless you Blue, thanks. Its a fun thing, good mates and playing everything i loved growing up. The perfect fit for me and that's a thing to be cherished.....

Here's a bit more from the same night - a bit of less rocky 80's classic pop

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2019 at 00:08, Mudpup said:

JIt wasn't quiet!!! About 20 people in there at 9pm but by the time we started at 9.30 it was filling up and by 10pm it was flipping packed 🙂 And they danced from the start.....We had a blinder - played well, no noticeable mishtakes, great crowd, love my new bass, caught up with some old mates that i hadn't seen for a while and loads of compliments afterwards. The band even commented how well the bass fitted into the overall sound. A good start to 2019.....

Ooh - you put your drummer in a box - would love that :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played a local "Battle of the Bands" heat last night, the venue puts on loads of bands, but the soundman was crap (had trouble DI'ing the bass FFS!) and the provided equipment was more than crap.

As expected, there were the usual shenanigans from the other 2 bands playing, jostling for position on the bill, rent-a-crowd, "buy our EP"/listen to us on Spotify etc., guess we're just going to have to play that game as well. TBH, we did go into it as more of an "experience" thing, it was only our second gig as a band, and the singers second ever "proper" gig.

We were on first, so loads of sound problems to start off with as the winning band got the soundcheck. Had a couple of false starts, as the sound was chronic (no bass!). I went DI instead of their provided amp, after much faffing, there was bass, but then we re-started, and the bass magically disappeared. Ended up plugging my HD500x into the return loop on the amp, hey presto, bass.

Anyway, the songs went down well, but obviously not well enough to please rent-a-crowd.

Last night we did a Sunday evening (19:30 - 21:30) gig at a pub in Crawley.

It was pretty quiet - to the point of almost being a paid rehearsal, but as it was paid and an early finish, there's not too much to complain about.

Second time out with IEM and they worked really well, made the singer happy too as it's one fewer wedge to bring into the venue.

Also, GAS is stupid, I'd spent most of the week convincing myself I wanted a five string Precision but when I plugged in my DJ5 (even though it has strings like a Norweigan Blue) and tweaked the pre-amp/DI a bit, the tone I wanted was right there. Isn't it funny how GAS strikes when my mind is wandering at work rather than when I'm actually playing......🤪

• Like 1

We did a party in a bowling alley of a pub, an unheated one, so it was a bit cold. In a busy warm pub. The first half most people stayed in the warm pub, the second half for a while we had quite a heaving audience, but in the end most of them found the sound was good enough out in the main hall and it was warm there so they could hang out there, so it was not the best gig.

But it is ok, we played well for us, and I got to play the new ibanez so I was fairly happy!

We did the 100 Club last Thursday (not been on here since) and it was ace. Every time we've played there it's been great but this crowd were really enthusiastic and considerably younger than we're used to. We played really well and went down brilliantly. A young girl even asked for my number afterwards, which was a lovely ego boost! Even if she did slink away embarrassed having learned my age :)

Sunday afternoon gig. 4pm kick off, one short break, and we played until nearly 8pm. 

Great pub, gets full of punters up for music on a Sunday afternoon. 

First gig for my Snapdragon Folding Bass. It did the job admirably, even though I'm used to playing with a ramp. 

IMG-20190115-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

Played the Hard rock cafe in Glasgow last night. First time in there and the staff and the promoters, Shock city, looked after us very well. Free soft drinks, a meal, great sound guy and the place was full. 

Only drawback is it`s in the pedestrian part of the town and there is no back way in so we had to park the car and move the gear with hand barrows. And the parking is a nightmare. But you have to expect that in the middle of the city.

Used my new Sandberg and was well impressed. This was our first gig for the promoters and they were so happy they payed us an extra £100!! And they will get us more and bigger gigs in the future.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Played the Hard rock cafe in Glasgow last night. First time in there and the staff and the promoters, Shock city, looked after us very well. Free soft drinks, a meal, great sound guy and the place was full. 

Only drawback is it`s in the pedestrian part of the town and there is no back way in so we had to park the car and move the gear with hand barrows. And the parking is a nightmare. But you have to expect that in the middle of the city.

Used my new Sandberg and was well impressed. This was our first gig for the promoters and they were so happy they payed us an extra £100!! And they will get us more and bigger gigs in the future.

That's the way to do it.

Nice story 

Blue

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2019 at 15:14, MacDaddy said:

Sunday afternoon gig. 4pm kick off, one short break, and we played until nearly 8pm. 

Great pub, gets full of punters up for music on a Sunday afternoon. 

First gig for my Snapdragon Folding Bass. It did the job admirably, even though I'm used to playing with a ramp. 

IMG-20190115-WA0001.jpg

Nice, Sunday afternoon gigs can because hit or miss.

Blue

After a flying start to the year with 2 great gigs we were waiting for the banana skin gig. And that would be Friday then......a gig that we do a few times a year in Hertfordshire that can be a bit hit or miss attendance wise - we tend to get a couple of decent ones then a run of tumbleweeders. We were expecting the January drop off and we got it. Only about 40 people in and they were either annoyingly drunk or completely disinterested and standing at the bar round the corner. We had a minor bit of excitement though - 4 songs in and the guitarist lost all volume on his amp. As we all looked round to see what had happened a load of smoke started pouring out the back!! Highly entertaining :-) A quick jiggle around and backup amp sourcing and we were off again. 

So we got the duffer out of the way on Friday and hit Surrey last night. A regular one that we do about 4 times a year and we love it there. Usually a decent sized crowd and last night was good. Best sound we've had there i think, got some decent useable video and one of the crowd that was there is the sister of someone who owns a pub we want to get into - she had a great night and is going to sort some dates for us.

That fixed it and we're back on track happy bunnies

• Like 1