Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played the Plough in St Asaph last night .

It was a great gig , not a massive crowd but it's a big place and the landlord was very happy with the turnout , we had dancers for every song and considering we start with beds are burning , that doesn't normally get the dance floor started !

Three more gigs before I leave them to it , 

10 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Played the Plough in St Asaph last night .

It was a great gig , not a massive crowd but it's a big place and the landlord was very happy with the turnout , we had dancers for every song and considering we start with beds are burning , that doesn't normally get the dance floor started !

Three more gigs before I leave them to it , 

It’s not normally my thing but I just googled. Beds are burning    And what a great song , do you play it with a pick or finger style 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s not normally my thing but I just googled. Beds are burning    And what a great song , do you play it with a pick or finger style 

I play it with a pick as it offers the opportunity of some quick muting , I generally play with a pick anyway 👍

7 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I've always played it fingerstyle, its a great song that used to go down well, our singist had the broken glass FX set up on his keyboard, sounded excellent!!

I’ve just looped it fingerstyle for about 20 minutes , it’s a great workout, there’s mixed reviews on the exact tabs though 

6 minutes ago, MikanHannille said:

Awesome gig last night at Upton. Dance floor was packed. And then along came the police and stopped us playing to say that there was an incident outside and advised everybody to stay inside for the meantime. Killed the mood. 

You think if they hadn't stopped you playing, it would be easier to keep everyone inside!

First night out for the Ampeg PF-50T, with my country band. 50W is plenty when it's (a) supplied by valves, and (b) delivered through a Super Twin!  I loved the sound I got, and a bass playing friend complimented me on it too, so that con't be bad. There was plenty of volume in reserve too.

45333566_706390146413411_353155609629451

• Like 1

Got back from last nights a few minutes ago, so just after three. Long gig, two sets totalling well over three hours playing time, but very satisfying. Made it back home in just over an hour and half, not bad for Leicester to Oxford. All bar two were songs I haven't gigged with them before, so there a few moments, but nothing too noticeable.

Off to bed now!

• Like 2

On 22/10/2018 at 23:44, Frank Blank said:

The organiser dude said at the beginning of the night “I’ll try and rustle you up something to put the bass through...” I’ve been struggling to get the sound I want out of the AER lately but tonight, when I got on the stage I plugged into this...

44BAD058-55EB-40E5-883B-AC88816DAF6A.jpeg

Having played here again I had a better look at this top and the make is Maine, anyone know anything about these amps? I love the tone of it and would love to find one. 

Got to stack my Barefaced Four10 on top of another 4x10 last night so it was firing bass at my melon throughout the gig... first time I've had it at head height or any cab for that matter. Wow, it sounded brilliant, sound guy was impressed with the 4Stroke 500 aswell... told me turn it up! Didn't have to ask twice.

Gig was a cracker too and chilli nachos on the way home... wonderful.

Edited by 2elliot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Having played here again I had a better look at this top and the make is Maine, anyone know anything about these amps? I love the tone of it and would love to find one. 

Acoustic amps were break through technology in bass amps back in the 70s. Larry Graham used them back in the day.

Blue

Great gig on Saturday night at Dartford Social club.  Unfortunately Dartford tunnel was closed which meant the whole area was pretty much gridlocked - something us in the frozen north don't normally have to contend with.  This meant the run from the Travelodge to the venue was an hour instead of 10 minutes.  We were going to leave the gear at the venue overnight, but due to the traffic problems we decided to pack up and store in the van overnight.  This was very nearly a grave error as overnight a group of scrotes decided to have a go at a number of vans in the carpark - ours included.  Fortunately the deadlocks saved us but is was close.

34 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Great gig on Saturday night at Dartford Social club.  Unfortunately Dartford tunnel was closed which meant the whole area was pretty much gridlocked - something us in the frozen north don't normally have to contend with.  This meant the run from the Travelodge to the venue was an hour instead of 10 minutes.  We were going to leave the gear at the venue overnight, but due to the traffic problems we decided to pack up and store in the van overnight.  This was very nearly a grave error as overnight a group of scrotes decided to have a go at a number of vans in the carpark - ours included.  Fortunately the deadlocks saved us but is was close.

They definitely seem to target vans in Travelodge car parks, thieving scuzzy gits.:(

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Welcome to Essex.

Emotional.

You may remember I mentioned a few weeks ago that my friend and long-standing duo partner, who has been ill for some time, was taken into care the night before we were going to play our local om together for the first time in months. He has been allowed home, at least for now, and emailed me late this afternoon to say he wanted to come out and play "The Weight" tonight (one we've enjoyed playing together before) and would I join him? 

First time I've gigged my new Ibby 6 - a complete joy - I cut loose and used all six strings to put a bit of variation and sparkle into what can be quite a dull song, and his rhythm guitar and vocals were strong as always. Good harmonica and cajon sitting in with us too. Real synergy, strong groove. I don't think I've ever heard quite so heartfelt a roar of applause there as we got. We were mobbed afterwards by people saying how good it was. And we were - but it was mostly an expression of the love and respect that community has for him. 

There are many reasons why I so much value my relatively new ability to play bass, but the privilege of supporting him tonight is one I never expected. Proud and humble. The joy and healing in his face... priceless. 

• Like 20

A bit late as I've been busy in the studio for ages! Last Wednesday we played the Star & Garter in Manchester. It's one of my favourite venues to play and it didn't let us down at all, loads of people... I was just too ill to fully appreciate it. I wanted to watch the headline band (Bar Stool Preachers) who sounded great at soundcheck but I was so drained I spent the rest of the night sitting in the corner downstairs. By all accounts it was one of our best gigs too! Never mind, more to come this weekend

• Like 1

I think the reason I'm so critical of my bands gigs are not so much all the fault of the band.

Now that I think about it, it's more to do with the US 4 hour bar format.managing 4 hours of material is not an easy task.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Tuesday, first gig with a new project. Just a small gig to try things. We booked the place (cheap on a Tuesday), invited another band to support us, and made it free entry (so nobody gets paid this time, it was purely an exercise to test the water... not my idea, but I went along with it).

It was surprisingly well attended for a Tuesday. Nice atmosphere, a few random passers by came in when they saw the posters / heard the music outside... All good.

However... to my surprise, our main singer is not a good frontman. This was not apparent during practices. He's pretty outgoing and I thought he'd be good. But he said nothing between songs, kept looking away... and in some circumstances it would not be too bad, however... guitarist... was pretty much retuning after every song and changing guitars frequently. Way too much silence, waiting... Ugh. I need to address this in a way that doesn't hurt people. Guitarist is a little tricky... We can streamline the set by grouping songs in a way that minimises guitar changes and retuning... but I still think he does more of it than needed. And retuning, it's only drop-D! But it still takes him far too long, and checks every string... whether that is because his guitars go out of tune (which can be addressed) or because he just feels he must (OCD is harder to address)... we will see.

Why can't life be easier? :D

46 minutes ago, mcnach said:

...Why can't life be easier? :D

Think yourself lucky that the drummer doesn't go round the kit checking the tuning..! Could take hours..! :lol: Explain that to the guitarist, to help him understand the issue..?

Edited by Dad3353