Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, AScheck9 said:

@DaytonaRik

Great photos man,  I'll try and come see your band at some point- I work nearby to Eastwood. I see your band cover fool for your lovin' - what a killer track that is for the bass. 

Sadly I'm not up to Mr Murray's standards - I tend to keep it simple through the verse but run around the chorus section as per a few of the later recordings.

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Oh man I do love a Thunderbird 

Cheers fella - went back to them this year after a few years with a Limelight P...love the T'bird 😍

Edited by DaytonaRik

Hoping to try and fix up a date for my lot for next year at Old Wine Vaults. By the time we knew they were looking for bands they had already got enough to see them through next few months. For those who might be interested, Rob Balmer who took the pics is a pro photographer and has his own business if folks want photos taking on a comission basis, he used to take them in the Greyhound so has lots of live performance photography experience. Probably would have to be East Mids though.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/RobertBalmerPhotography/about/?ref=page_internal

Edited by KevB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KevB said:

Hoping to try and fix up a date for my lot for next year at Old Wine Vaults. By the time we knew they were looking for bands they had already got enough to see them through next few months. For those who might be interested, Rob Balmer who took the pics is a pro photographer and has his own business if folks want photos taking on a comission basis, he used to take them in the Greyhound so has lots of live performance photography experience. Probably would have to be East Mids though.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/RobertBalmerPhotography/about/?ref=page_internal

Nice pics. Nice angles.

I think most amatues with cell phone caneras think you have to always take full band pics instead if up close good single member pics.

Blue

Excellent gig Tuesday night with the jazz standards quartet at Jazz At The Junction in North Bay Ontario, an hour from home.

We were the first band to play when it opened about a year and a half ago and we get booked back every three months or so.The place was packed and extra chairs had to be brought in and the crowd was really up for it with many of our regulars and some new faces too.It was one of those nights when everything just goes well-good audience, good songs and all of us played better than usual and we all clicked on pretty much every song( which doesn't happen every time we play).Even our usually very serious keyboard player came out of her shell and surprised us with some great solos and her voice was in top form too.One of our best performances in the six year history of the band.

This was the first time I have used my new KNA DB-1 pickup on a gig and I was really impressed as were the band members and some musicians in the audience.I was playing my Englehardt Swingmaster ES 1 and used a K&K preamp as a volume control only and went straight into our Bose PA.With the Bose you can set the input to "Bass" and then choose from a whole bunch of choices of electric(eg.Fender Jazz) and acoustic basses to get the correct input.I used "Acoustic Gage Pickup" and it was awesome.I then used the EQ settings on the Bose to dial in exactly what I wanted, set the trim and channel volume and used the preamp to make minor adjustments to the volume.Best sound ever for me...I love the Englehardt(not everyone's choice of course)and the KNA is very powerful and has a great sound, not as "quacky" as a lot of piezos.

All in all a fun gig and very satisfying to find to find that my new pickup was all I had hoped for.I will use it next week for a seven piece swing band gig and for the other gigs for both bands-happy days!

I drove home after the gig in a bit of rain that turned into snow as I got closer to home and ended with an inch or so in my driveway, good thing I put on my snow tires last week.

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 2

Played a wedding in Hensol Castle. M4 absolute nightmare with Friday madness traffic, journey took over an hour longer than it ought to have. Coming home on an empty motorway in the wee small hours a joy by comparison. And then the Severn bridge was closed. Aaargh.

Gig went well though. New amp performed beautifully but my POG died ☹️

• Like 1

Sold out theatre in Sussex last night, cracking audience and a great sounding room. Really enjoyed the gig, as did the rest of the band, with everyone playing spot on. Thought I’d try using my spare amp, a GK MB200, instead of my usual GK 1001RB. Been thinking of selling it to fund something else, but am now not so sure - it sounded great! Only supposed to be giving 140 watts into my GK Neo 410, but coped brilliantly well with no lack of headroom  (or heft...😄 ).

What to do.....

Edited by casapete

Last night's gig. Hmmm, going to sub title this post as 

"How to make an emergency snare drum"

First two things you need are an idiot french drummer who's left his on the kitchen table and then driven 120 kms to a gig thus, removing the possibility of going back for it. Secondly, you need British resolve.

Next, remove his 14" tom whilst he's sitting outside telling everyone we can't play tonight and tighten to nearly breaking point. Look in boot of your car for anything handy. Somehow find a bathroom plug on 2ft of chain. Secure on edge of floating drum rim, drape across top head and fix with Gaffa tape on other side.

Voila, one not too clever sounding but very funky gig-able makeshift snare. We were still playing at 2.30 this morning. Went down a treat. We'll see what he forgets at tonight's gig😂

Edited by leschirons
Spelling error
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

My little band played our first 'all acoustic' gig last night at a tiny little pub called The Miley in Rochford.  The last few times we played there we have been constantly asked to turn down so this time it was acoustic guitars through the desk, drummer with brushes, me with BF One10 - much softer than usual.  A couple of mins into the first number we were asked to turn down a bit, so clearly this is a default procedure and nothing to do with actual volume.  Played 2 x 1hr or so sets to a small and largely disinterested crowd who, because we were playing so softly, just continued their conversations.  On the plus side this was my first outing using my newly acquired Dean Pace 5 for everything, which worked out ok.

4 hours ago, casapete said:

Sold out theatre in Sussex last night, cracking audience and a great sounding room. Really enjoyed the gig, as did the rest of the band, with everyone playing spot on. Thought I’d try using my spare amp, a GK MB200, instead of my usual GK 1001RB. Been thinking of selling it to fund something else, but am now not so sure - it sounded great! Only supposed to be giving 140 watts into my GK Neo 410, but coped brilliantly well with no lack of headroom  (or heft...😄 ).

What to do.....

What to do? What a daft question. Do what we all do on here.  Sell it, a week later, really regret selling it and buy the same thing again but £60 dearer than you sold yours for😂

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Play the BlondePop tonight. Great venue and it Holloween night here.

We haven't seen each other or rehearsed in over a month.

Blue

FB_IMG_1540558688115.jpg

Just got home, good Holloween gig.

Very cool, the band sounded good and the crowd was cool. People kind of got that were a band that's more for listening than dancing even though we throw a few dance songs in the mix.

BTW , I thought the BlondePop sign was photo shopped. It wasn't, that's actually a huge neon sign.

Blue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Just got home, good Holloween gig.

Very cool, the band sounded good and the crowd was cool. People kind of got that were a band that's more for listening than dancing even though we throw a few dance songs in the mix.

BTW , I thought the BlondePop sign was photo shopped. It wasn't, that's actually a huge neon sign.

Blue

Cool.

Just out of curiousity, I'd be interested in knowing what dance numbers you include. Be nice to get a handle on what constitutes "dance" your side of the pond as over here,  the majority of covers bands are all playing the same numbers.

7 hours ago, leschirons said:

Cool.

Just out of curiousity, I'd be interested in knowing what dance numbers you include. Be nice to get a handle on what constitutes "dance" your side of the pond as over here,  the majority of covers bands are all playing the same numbers.

We do a few standards that I would say are dancable more than dance songs.

We play dancable versions of 'Superstition"  "Fame" and "Them Changes". For slow dance we have, " "People Get Ready" , "Stand By Me" and "Angel From Montgomery"

Blue

• Thanks 1

Olde Royal Oak in Burton- always a favourite place to play. Lovely atmosphere and fun regulars. Went much better than last week's gig too- I just changed the power valve on my streamliner and found a lot more volume and tightness.

Also... I got flashed by ladies at the front. Does that make me a rock star? 😂

FB_IMG_1540754577916.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AScheck9 said:

Olde Royal Oak in Burton- always a favourite place to play. Lovely atmosphere and fun regulars. Went much better than last week's gig too- I just changed the power valve on my streamliner and found a lot more volume and tightness.

Also... I got flashed by ladies at the front. Does that make me a rock star? 😂

FB_IMG_1540754577916.jpg

I was totally happy about your successful show until the part where you get flashed.

I never get flashed.😁

Blue

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1