Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Friday was the first gig with an originals band I tried out for a month ago. We were nominally headlining, but effectively playing to the second - much younger - band's crowd, which is less than ideal but they did stay and listen despite us not really being metal enough for them. We front loaded with a couple of shorter/ heavier songs before stretching out into our more epic direction. I flubbed in a few places - partly down to only having played with them 3 times, partly down to the drummer introducing a load of extra and wholly unexpected fills and partly due to the reliably awful on-stage sound thanks to the reliably obnoxious sound-guy.  Anyone who has played the Maze in Nottingham will know who I mean. I can only assume he hates rock music. This band seems to be all about being thrown in at the deep end. Live multi-track recording this week and another gig next week. Not much opportunity to iron out the wrinkles...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Friday was the first gig with an originals band I tried out for a month ago. We were nominally headlining, but effectively playing to the second - much younger - band's crowd, which is less than ideal but they did stay and listen despite us not really being metal enough for them. We front loaded with a couple of shorter/ heavier songs before stretching out into our more epic direction. I flubbed in a few places - partly down to only having played with them 3 times, partly down to the drummer introducing a load of extra and wholly unexpected fills and partly due to the reliably awful on-stage sound thanks to the reliably obnoxious sound-guy.  Anyone who has played the Maze in Nottingham will know who I mean. I can only assume he hates rock music. This band seems to be all about being thrown in at the deep end. Live multi-track recording this week and another gig next week. Not much opportunity to iron out the wrinkles...

Hah, it's not rock music he hates, it's the human race

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Or both. Separately and equally. He actually ripped the drumstick out of our drummer's hand during the soundcheck. It's not like he'd asked him to stop playing first either. 

I was watching the headline band one night and the bass was inaudible. My mate, who's the nicest, most gentle guy I know, went and very politely asked him if he could turn up the bass and he screamed F OFF 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

He actually ripped the drumstick out of our drummer's hand during the soundcheck. It's not like he'd asked him to stop playing first either.

What! And your drummer didn't launch across the kit and punch him in the face??? Kudos to him for being so very reatrained

Friday night I was just tickling my snare while the soundman messed about with his dodgy DIs. He didn't ask me to stop playing but at one point I noticed he was just glaring at me. I stopped and he went back to work. What's wrong with a "could you stop that please?", surely that's much more polite than just glaring?

Don't normally post in here, because it would quickly get boring for you to read lol, but this weekend was special.

8am Saturday: Leave High Wycombe in the band van, destination: Troon in Scotland for a wedding.
4:30pm Saturday: Arrive in Troon after a chilled drive with a couple of hour-long stops.

*Play gig*

12:15am Sunday: Leave venue for High Wycombe
6:20am Sunday: Arrive back in High Wycombe, leave for Hemel.
7:00am Sunday: Go to bed
11:30am Sunday: Take the family to 'A Day Out With Thomas The Tank Engine' in Aylesbury 😂

Until next week lol
Si

• Like 1

Busy weekend. Probably our last 2 outside shows for the summer. Also we're back to 4 hour shows.:( And Columbus is an hour commute, 1 way. :(

Hope the band is on as well as my playing.

Blue

Friday 9/7/2018
The Old Rock
Hwy 16 & 60, Columbus
7:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Sunday 9/9/2018
C & S Performance Engines
Hot Rods on Hampton Car Show
4687 N 124th Street, Butler
Noon - 4:00 p.m.

IMG_20180708_230848.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

We played The Old Rock in Columbus WI last night.

Really cool rustic outside stage. We played well and looked good last night. Unfortunately the bar/restaurant was packed but they had little to no interest in live music or us.

I thought the place had a strong reputation for live music. At the end of the day, not a great gig for me.

Hopefully the car show tomorrow cwill be better.

The disconnect with live rock and young people is vary sad to me. Seems like they hate it with a passion.

Blue

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

The disconnect with live rock and young people is vary sad to me. Seems like they hate it with a passion.

Maybe they don't hate it, maybe it is just like background music to them? I mean music is very common and everywhere, it isn't something you have to seek out now, as you used to. It has less value.

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe they don't hate it, maybe it is just like background music to them? I mean music is very common and everywhere, it isn't something you have to seek out now, as you used to. It has less value.

I can't argue your point. I understand the whole generational thing. It tough getting use to being on the liable side. I use to be what they called " counter culture".

Blue

Just got in from a Wirebirds gig in Swindon. Late booking, we were asked if we could play this gig only last Tuesday, but it went well. Had to wait until some football thing finished on the TV, but at least the pub didn't become empty as soon as it finished, as has happened to us before. The pub had large screen TVs all over the place, and when we started paying was still showing stuff about the football, and then switched to a music channel showing a gig somewhere. It took a while for us to realise that it was us - they had a camera mounted on the ceiling near the stage and were showing us all round the pub!

Fourth gig for my 3 week old Ibanez six string, it's rather shocking that in that three weeks I haven't touched any of my four string basses at all, not even my lovely Alembic.

Played the Ibanez through an ABM 600 and Barefaced Super Compact, sounded great on stage, and some friends in the audience said it sounded good out front as well.

• Like 1

Great gig despite a few issues - our singer's voice and wireless mic both deserted him, but he ploughed on through regardless.

My EBS head seems to have died, as the intermittent fault has developed into a permanent one. Not a huge issue as I usually just DI with my Microbass II and use the PA wedges for monitoring - which is what I did last night, it's just our singer has better monitors than the house system so I'd brought my amp. I'll take it back to Bernie Goodfellow, see if he can sort it; when he looked at it last year he couldn't replicate the fault, but if it's not intermittent anymore, it should at least help with repairing it.

Still despite all that and the 2am finish it was a really good gig; a happy, up for it crowd makes so much difference.

Had a great gig last night, played Audio in Glasgow with my band The Substitutes. We're a cover band to The Who and only been going since March, so this was only our 2nd gig.

Front of house sound was apparently great, but stage sound (for me anyway) was pretty muddy, but bearable.

Played 1 hour 40 minutes of hits, a mini-Tommy set and a mini-Quadrophenia set, to about 80 people there.

Best part, raised over £550 for the Glasgow Children's Hospital Charity.

• Like 1

We did a charity dinner with the theme "A night at the movies" at Botley Masonic Centre. Setup had to be sorted by 7.30 so the room was clear for folks to have dinner - we weren't on till 10, but we got food. All the guests were in fancy dress, we were asked to judge the best - Edward Scissorhands and Marge Simpson were the winners. 

It was a great gig - probably about 100 people in the room a decent number got up for a dance. The first set seemed to be over too soon - one of those occasions when it's a pity to stop. Set two was great, a few people had left but the remining peeps were well up for more. We were supposed to finish by 12 but got the very welcome One More Song request. Played our usual two extras - wasn't enough - so we dragged out 10 out of 10 - a great way to end the show.

We have a slot at the Sherfield Beer Festival next Sat - looking forward to it.

Afternoon gig.  Unexpected memorial gig for a fisherman who unexpectedly passed away.  Celebration of life on a wharf in Southwest Harbour. Close to 300 people.  Pig roasted,  roast beef and clams and mussels by the basket load.  Folks brought food by the ton.  Beautiful Maine day right on the water.  They had us on a flatbed.  Great PA brought by the new drummer.  Sound was great onstage and off.  One of those gigs that you hate to end.  Home by dark.

• Like 1

I played my final ever gig with the Hungarian prog-folk band at Whitwell Festival yesterday. The gig represented a microcosm of all the reasons I'd decided to leave. A mixture of not seizing opportunities, letting bad luck get your way and minor details like not giving the bass player a set list all contributed. They also showed up with my intended replacement too, which I thought was a bit on the nose. There was bad luck, in that we were on the indoor stage at exactly the point it stopped raining - having been persistently pouring all afternoon. This coincided with start of a very popular novelty / comedy band on the main stage. Didn't stand a chance audience wise. The organisers clocked it and rejigged the timings to prevent the same thing happening to the guy after us, but it was out of our hands really. The monitor sound seemed good to me,  but the singer was complaining - and I mean complaining - rather than sucking it up and giving it her best shot. Nobody likes to watch a moaner. I finally got a set list three songs in, which was then abandoned due to time being wasted moaning. The thing is, my wife filmed us and the sound was absolutely fine. Performance was OK considering we were pretty under-rehearsed (another bug-bear). Out on a curates egg and off to pastures new.

• Sad 1