Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

Me too. 

We had a gig earlier this year in a small pub where we had to set up in an area the staff had cleared for us. We’re only a three piece but it was still a squash.

There was a couple on an adjacent table that were in the way to be honest, we had to put an amp right next to their table, thinking they’d realise what was happening and move to one of the other free tables. But no, they stayed put. We then had to put the PA stand in front of the table, it got to the stage that we were actually building up around them but they still didn’t move. We needed to access a wall socket that was behind their table which we had crawl under to reach, no offer to move when we apologetically explained that we needed to get to it. The landlord could see what was happening and we thought he might suggest to the couple that might consider moving to another table, but no. 

Even when we sound checked they remained there, trying to have a conversation and continued trying after we’d started the set, eventually moving table about three songs in. 

There are some very odd people around, it’s just territorial ‘I’m not f***ing moving grumble grumble’ obtusity. Luckily they’re the minority, most people can see what you’re doing and are happy to cooperate. 

Maybe the landlord was watching on bemused that you didn't think to politely ask them to move to another table, or offer to move theirs, rather than obstinately set up around them with the "it's not my job to ask them attitude". Maybe the people at the table thought if we're in their way they'll ask us to move, but the request never came. 

Not having a dig, just playing devil's advocate. Different folks see things differently. :)

• Like 2

BCers regularly refer to playing down at the Dog and Duck. Well last night I really did get to play there although being Glasgow it was The Dug n Duck.  A revamped pub on the outskirts making a name for live music.  Punters were a bit direct but enjoyed what we offered. Back again in December. 

20180818_210109.jpg

7 hours ago, grumpyguts said:

We suffer from a lack of practice, some of the new stuff is a bit rough round the edges - despite this we went down well; some really nice comments after both sets - we will be back next year. I am rarely happy with my playing and last night was no different, it was the first gig with my TC BH800 (was using an LH500) I was at least happier with the sound. 

We also suffer from lack of practice. We gig at least once a week but that's not the same as a band rehearsal.

I'm also rareley happy with my playing.

Blue

6 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

BCers regularly refer to playing down at the Dog and Duck. Well last night I really did get to play there although being Glasgow it was The Dug n Duck.  A revamped pub on the outskirts making a name for live music.  Punters were a bit direct but enjoyed what we offered. Back again in December. 

20180818_210109.jpg

Where's the bar, is it the same room you played in?

Blue

Played a local festival last night, 1st time playing it with the new band and they've really up the game. 

Lots of activities as well as 2 stages playing back to back music.

I think the most fun I've had on stage in a long time. Hopefully we'll have some decent pics but here's a few pics from our mates phone (apologies for the half nakedness, it was hot)

39522355_10156394261081259_6573602434717843456_n.jpg

39616339_10160598851055104_3455161951087230976_n.jpg

30 minutes ago, Maude said:

Maybe the landlord was watching on bemused that you didn't think to politely ask them to move to another table, or offer to move theirs, rather than obstinately set up around them with the "it's not my job to ask them attitude". Maybe the people at the table thought if we're in their way they'll ask us to move, but the request never came. 

Not having a dig, just playing devil's advocate. Different folks see things differently. :)

People can be weird. I had to stop by the Aldi grocery store to pick up 1 pack of AA batteries for my wireless transmitter. The couple in front of me had a cart full of groceries.

It's customery in the States to let the guy with one item check out first. Not these people. I had to wait while they checked out what looked like a months food supply for a family of 6. And I was running late as it was.

I really gave them the " stink eye"

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mikebass84 said:

Played a local festival last night, 1st time playing it with the new band and they've really up the game. 

Lots of activities as well as 2 stages playing back to back music.

I think the most fun I've had on stage in a long time. Hopefully we'll have some decent pics but here's a few pics from our mates phone (apologies for the half nakedness, it was hot)

39522355_10156394261081259_6573602434717843456_n.jpg

39616339_10160598851055104_3455161951087230976_n.jpg

Nice pics!

Blue

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

People can be weird. I had to stop by the Aldi grocery store to pick up 1 pack of AA batteries for my wireless transmitter. The couple in front of me had a cart full of groceries.

It's customery in the States to let the guy with one item check out first. Not these people. I had to wait while they checked out what looked like a months food supply for a family of 6. And I was running late as it was.

Its pretty well customary everywhere, just good manners really. Surprised you have Aldi's there now though! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

It's better to try and engage with these people - so if you're going to put a PA speaker 12" from their faces when you're setting up then you could at least suggest with a smile on your face that they might like to move tables "as it might get a bit loud and we don't want to deafen you" or something like that. OK.

Just a thought, nothing personal.

That's the approach I was going to suggest. Diplomacy usually works.

Or they could have abruptly and without warning  kicked the table and chairs out from under the couple. That works too. :)

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its pretty well customary everywhere, just good manners really. Surprised you have Aldi's there now though! 

I love Aldi, a pint of blue berries for $1.29. And their house brand of batteries are really good. An 8 pack for $2.39.

Blue

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I love Aldi, a pint of blue berries for $1.29. And their house brand of batteries are really good. An 8 pack for $2.39.

Blue

Do they have the 'middle aisle of mystery' over in the states Aldi's as well where they stock all the random stuff? 

10 minutes ago, Maude said:

Do they have the 'middle aisle of mystery' over in the states Aldi's as well where they stock all the random stuff? 

Yes they do, all the weird advertised, promotional and marked down merchandise.

There's a really cool 4k video cam that I'm waiting to see marked down. It's $69.99. I'll buy if it gets down to $40.00

Blue

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Fantastic, that always works out well for bands 

When the band is in a separate room from the bar, usually not good.

Vlue

You're correct Blue. I've only ever played at one event where the bar was in a separate room and it wasn't a good experience for the band. 

7 hours ago, musicbassman said:

It's better to try and engage with these people....

Believe me, I tried. We played a selection of crowd pleasers that usually can't fail. and they just stood with their backs to us. I tried the cheerful tried and tested between-song patter and .... nothing. Maybe they just were not up for a band.

I did give the couple a big smile as I brought the gear in and say hi. I think a bass rig, monitor, a few bags and a couple of guitars coming through the door and being plopped down a couple of feet away would be a clue to most people.

1 hour ago, NoRhino said:

You're correct Blue. I've only ever played at one event where the bar was in a separate room and it wasn't a good experience for the band

It's awful and makes for a long evening, especially with our US 4 hour bar gigs.ln most cases it's the "kiss of death".

We actually turned down gigs with a separate barless room for the band.

I don't get why owners would even book bands if you have them set up in a room separate from the bar.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

21 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

Believe me, I tried. We played a selection of crowd pleasers that usually can't fail. and they just stood with their backs to us. I tried the cheerful tried and tested between-song patter and .... nothing. Maybe they just were not up for a band.

Was this a venue that has live bands on a weekly basis?

Again we'll turn down gigs with owners that are not known for providing live bands and the crowd isn't there to hear bands.

Blue

I have to say if the bar staff haven't had a word while moving tables we just pitch in and advise people with a smile that it's gonna get loud if they're that close to the band, and that table over there looks like a much better bet...works every time... 🙂

Two wedding gigs in fields over the weekend - I blame Mumford And Sons for this sort of thing. First one was a place we'd had a raaah with the manager last time (she's one of those people who are not naturally predisposed to work with the public - very abrupt, defensive and abrasive) and is just an awful venue, with the most aggressive limiter in the North; it was louder in my in-ears than through the PA. I was wearing them because there are few things more depressing than being able to hear the sound of feet and people chatting on the dance floor while dancing... Not a lively crowd at all, and a dozen hard-core drinkers (not dancing) left by quarter to twelve; we were booked till one, but our patented Feck Off Home remix* did the trick and we were packed and off by twelve.

Saturday was another twin tipi (twopi?) in a glamping field, a much better crowd (and sound) than the previous night, younger and a lot more fun. Four people left in the place by half twelve, but we'd judged they were all too hammered to notice, and so the tactical deployment of New York New York did the trick, they staggered off happy and we were off and on the road five minutes later.

As an aside, after the Friday we've decided not to take any more four piece gigs: we rarely gig with four now, and we're so accustomed to the trio thing that another guitar just sounds muddy and unnecessary, even on the rock stuff.

* A subtle blend of of songs which tread the line between a bit obscure and  hard to dance to, without actually being Yes album tracks...

Edited by Muzz