Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

The pub on the Abingdon Road? Last time I played there there were very few people around, and the pub refused to pay the agreed fee. I don't think we'll be back!

That's it. As I said, Redox are popular, and always bring a crowd. I didn't think I'd played there before until I realised it used to be called the Folly Bridge Inn. Probably played it 4 or 5 times!

5 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

That's it. As I said, Redox are popular, and always bring a crowd. I didn't think I'd played there before until I realised it used to be called the Folly Bridge Inn. Probably played it 4 or 5 times!

Shame the light show outdid my shirt! 

IMG_1262.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FinnDave said:

The pub on the Abingdon Road? Last time I played there there were very few people around, and the pub refused to pay the agreed fee. I don't think we'll be back!

I would warn any new or young band to be careful about taking bar or pub gigs where business is slow and probably don't take in enough cash to pay you.

Blue

Bassed for a Jam weekend full to the brim with guitarists.. last night played a bowls club with them - 20 guitarists in total swapping and changing in a full and varied set list. Brilliant.

To top it off it was 3 guys first ever live gig and so they popped their cherries. Lots of really chuffed players, lots of beer, and a brilliant brilliant night of entertainment. 

Having a setlist that went from boulevard of broken dreams to fortunate son then on to comfortably numb was cracking...

11 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Bassed for a Jam weekend full to the brim with guitarists.. last night played a bowls club with them - 20 guitarists in total swapping and changing in a full and varied set list. Brilliant.

To top it off it was 3 guys first ever live gig and so they popped their cherries. Lots of really chuffed players, lots of beer, and a brilliant brilliant night of entertainment. 

Having a setlist that went from boulevard of broken dreams to fortunate son then on to comfortably numb was cracking...

Was that the famous Widdlefest? :)

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I haven't got the equipment to need to worry about that, not the Wang or the pedal board! 

I think every bloke at the gig went home feeling quite inadequate. It was down to his fricken knees.

• Haha 1

2 gigs over the weekend, the first at the Old Wharfe in Langport.

A guy I met on JMB needed a bassist for a project he is running, it's an open mic with a difference in that the house band knows in advance what the singers will be singing so we get a couple of rehearsals in beforehand. So we got a chance to rehearse Summertime, Less is More (Joss Stone),Your Heart is as Black as the Night (Gardot/Hart), A Million Dreams (The Showman), To Love Somebody, Steal My Kisses, Out of the Woods, Son of a Preacher Man, Sexual Healing and Teardrops. This month there were  the house singer who is very good, and 2 others, one who did his own stuff (6 songs) and another who works as a waitress at the venue who did 2, one with the band.

It works very well, we do it monthly, the venue is full and we levy a £3  a head entry fee  and get fed too!

Second gig at a Wine Bar in Castle Cary with the Americana band( only 3rd gig this year), tiny venue, small but appreciative audience  and nicely paid too. Just very hot in the corner of a cellar...

Edited by yorks5stringer

Thursday afternoon we played "almost acoustic" at Rebellion festival. I'm on drums and the suggestions are "snare and brushes" or Cajon. Instead I took my snare, hi-hats, crash cymbal, and a kick drum contraption I made out of a tupperware tub, pedal, EQ pedal and noise gate. The soundman didn't look very impressed when I gave him the jack to DI but the audience loved it. Best reaction to a gig since we played the Arena stage at Rebellion a year ago. The following day we did the Pavillion stage with our normal full setup, and it was good, but somehow not as exciting as the Almost Acoustic thing - probably because we were just winging that one. Someone posted some footage on Facebook, I'll try to share it here:

Last night I played bass for my mate down at the local open mic and that was just as much fun as having hundreds of people cheering for you!

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 3

Got in half an hour ago from a gig in a holiday park. In contrast to last weekend's 260 mike round trip to headline a festival in Kent, this one was a 1 1/2 mile round trip to play with a local blues band in the village I live in! Spent more time loading/unloading the car than driving, which made a nice change. Gig was a bit loud, but otherwise fine, paid in cash, home and unpacked by half eleven. It was a bit of fun on a Saturday night and put money in my pocket, and that's what its all about, for me. 

Played my MiM Fender standard Jazz though my ABM 600 & Barefaced 1x12, bass strung with Labella flats and played with a pick, sounded good.

• Like 2

Played an outdoor pig roast party yesterday.  The humidity,  which had been 90% all week finally moderated.  A beautiful Maine summer day.  For smaller restaurant/bar gigs I run through my Mesa subway,  but for larger clubs and outdoors I use my new Mesa D-800 head through a 1-15,  2-10 cabs.  Plenty of power.  We played two sets broken up and there were other musicians there so it was like a jam night where different musicians got up to back each other up,  some having played together before,  some not.  Very high quality musicianship going on.  I finally got a chance to hear my rig out front as I let the other two bass players in attendance run through my rig.  The PA was very high power and clear as a bell.  The Mesa held it's own and the bass was punchy and articulate.  The instruments/vocals were balanced nicely out front.  I played mostly bass,  but played some guitar and got to play drums also.  Someone would get up to play and musicians would come forward to fill the empty slots.  I got paid,  so altogether a fun satisfying gig/jam/party.  The only disappointment was the food.  In the summer heat and with flys in abundance landing on the uncovered food,  I passed up partaking.  Most were less squemish than I,  because even hours lator,  folks were still eating.

• Like 1

Last night was the second of five dep gigs that I'm doing with a Rolling Stones Covers band this month.  The first one had gone well - just a couple of little stumbles where they play things a bit differently to how I'm used to, but on the whole very good. 

Last night was really brilliant. Great venue in Brum. Very small stage, but plenty of room for the punters to dance.  All ages, really nice atmosphere. Very helpful sound guy. 

But near disaster struck as I was loading in. Managed to trap my finger in the door of my boot! First finger right hand - my main plucking finger so to speak!!! 😮  So quickly got a glass of ice from behind the bar and stuck finger in that for a long time.  Skin broken just under the nail, but luckily pad of finger OK although very tender.  So I soldiered on and didn't even notice the pain during the first half (despite Paint it Black and Sympathy for the Devil!) but afterwards it was really throbbing. So spent the break with my finger in a glass of ice again and it was OK for the second half.

It went so well - people smiling, dancing cheering.  Some bloke wanted his picture taken with me during the break. He kept going on about what a great guitarist I was, and I suspect that he thought the guitar solos were coming from me, haha! I didn't disabuse him of the fact 😄Also, most of the members of the other two band I was in had come along as well and they all really enjoyed it.  

And I'm getting paid - which all helps to eke out the pension.  Feel like a proper musician at last.

Very happy bunny this morning, despite throbbing finger 😎☝️

• Like 8